PDA

View Full Version : You know it's a scalper if...

Lonely Padme
06-19-2002, 08:09 PM
... they are using a cell phone to discuss what to get.

and/or

... they have tattoos all over their arms.

(I thought it was funny b/c I saw one scalper that fits this profile today!)

Beast
06-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Not always on the cell phone, my sister called me from Colorado Wal-Mart, because she had found some of what I was looking for, and was making sure I still needed them. She picked me up a Orn Free Taa, Geonosian w/ Massiff, Nexu, and Anakin w/ Slice and Dice Geonosian.

I think that automatically assuming that someone is a scalper, because they are on a cell phone with someone is silly. Infact this is not the first time that my sister has done the same thing, since her area is pretty dead with collectors and scalpers. I'll refrain from comment about the tattoos, as I don't want this sounding like a flame. :rolleyes:
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
06-19-2002, 08:29 PM
My wife calls me too if she goes to the stores and sees something she thinks I might need. However, she doesn't have any tatoos.

LTBasker
06-19-2002, 08:37 PM
You know it's a scalper if...

You see someone crying over watching a kid buying a new figure.

You see some loon pushing people out of the way to get to the toy aisle.

You see an adult squashing figures.

You see someone returning a bunch of the same figure that is now easy to find.

Jedi Law Student
06-19-2002, 08:40 PM
If you find yourself buying as many of a new figure as you can possibly afford, and then bending the bubbles of the rest of the figures (so yours will go up in value)... you might be a scalper.

If you think that Sio Bibble is, hands down, the best Star Wars action figure ever made... you might be a scalper.

If you have nightmares about Count Dooku becoming widely available at retail... you might be a scalper.

My apologies to Jeff Foxworthy. :)

;) ;) :D :D

jobi
06-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Why not stereotype just a little. You know where you can go? This isn't the forum for me to say. I have a cell phone and I talk to my wife while I'm hunting. I'm covered in tattoos, They're mine I wanted them so I got them. If you don't want any don't get any but don't judge others because they choose to live a DIFFERENT LIFESTYLE THAN YOU.

Beast
06-19-2002, 09:14 PM
I've been podering a tattoo myself as of late, Jobi. I was thinking a nice big Jar Jar Binks on my arm. I think that would be cool. :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Law Student
06-19-2002, 09:16 PM
If you get a big tattoo of Jar Jar Binks on your arm, that's a good sign that you're a real collector!

Forhekset
06-19-2002, 09:17 PM
I have a couple of often-visible tats and I'm not a scalper. :sur: But as long as we're making dumb blanket statements, I'll go ahead and say that anyone you see in the SW aisle who is sporting a mullet and wearing a NASCAR t-shirt is a scalper. How's that? :p

CrossWizard
06-19-2002, 09:58 PM
Hell Ill make it easier and more obvious on you:

If you see somebody carrying more than 3 of the same figure, especially at odd hours like real early in the morning, its a scalper.

If you see 2 guys and one of them has a cart with 5 Dookus, while the other one sweeps thru the pegs and they say to eachother:

"How many do we have?"

"Just 5 dude, and they are 2 a case so according to that stock boy we talked to theres gotta be 3 more, so keep looking"

Thats a scalper. :p

QLD
06-19-2002, 10:22 PM
This is stupid.

mrmiller
06-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I've been podering a tattoo myself as of late, Jobi. I was thinking a nice big Jar Jar Binks on my arm. I think that would be cool. :cool: :D Jar Jar Binks

Dude, if you get a Huge Jar Jar Tat you'll be in with the ladies. Maybe you should get a cool Wicket or Paploo on your other arm. And maybe some Powder Puff Girls on your shoulder and Nelix from Star Trek on your chest! You da bomb now- like Affleck in Sliders yo! ;)

You're one of my fav forum posters, so I hope you are kidding. I know you have this thing for Jar Jar, but lets not get carried away. :crazed:

=MATT= :p

LTBasker
06-19-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
I have a couple of often-visible tats and I'm not a scalper. :sur: But as long as we're making dumb blanket statements, I'll go ahead and say that anyone you see in the SW aisle who is sporting a mullet and wearing a NASCAR t-shirt is a scalper. How's that? :p

Oh now that hurts, I wore a Kevin Harvick shirt tonight to Wal-Mart and I even straightened up the figure aisle! Found another Endor Soldier buried at the bottom of the figures too.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I've been podering a tattoo myself as of late, Jobi. I was thinking a nice big Jar Jar Binks on my arm. I think that would be cool. :cool: :D

Don't forget Vader's top helmet piece and the lightsaber! :D

JetsAndHeels
06-20-2002, 12:32 AM
Hey JarJar can get him a tat if he wants. I have a Boba Fett tat on my right arm that goes from the top of my shoulder down to my elbow. I dont mind showing it off with a tanktop. Its your body, and you can get it if you like.
You do it, JarJar!!

darthdeogg
06-20-2002, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't laugh TOO hard. There's a bunch of NASCAR scalpers in my area, who know NOTHING about SW, but still snap up the figs they think are the rare ones.

And yes, that DOES hurt. I happen to be a NASCAR fan thank you very little.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-20-2002, 09:52 AM
If you convince a kid to buy an OPD Anakin instead of a Yoda, you might be a scalper.

If you sell an OPD Anakin for $50 on E-Bay, you might be a scalper.

If you hoard a cart full of OPD Anakin, you might be a desperate scalper.

Forhekset
06-20-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker

Oh now that hurts, I wore a Kevin Harvick shirt tonight to Wal-Mart and I even straightened up the figure aisle! Found another Endor Soldier buried at the bottom of the figures too.

See my point? Stereotypes are stupid.

I hope the intent of my previous post wasn't too subtle for anyone. *cough*darthdeogg*cough* :D

CrossWizard
06-20-2002, 12:35 PM
If you hoard a cart full of OPD Anakin, you might be a desperate scalper.

Actually, not really a scalper, just an idiot. :D

Jonna
06-20-2002, 12:45 PM
I really don't get the tattoo=scalper bit!?! I have seven: both forearms, chest and stomach.

Space for rent!!!

Lord Tenebrous
06-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Let's just agree that scalpers are those who buy figures solely to produce a profit out of them. Or, in general, those individuals who screw up the law of demand (demand and price are inversely proportional; as demand goes up, price goes down)

Darth Shifty
06-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Or, in general, those individuals who screw up the law of demand (demand and price are inversely proportional; as demand goes up, price goes down)

I believe you are thinking of the supply and demand law. As the demand goes up for a product, it's supply is reduced - and vice-versa. Usually when demand goes up, the price is also increased to boost profit. We're just lucky that the price on these Saga figs was cut, but that was simply to sell more stock. Just like the price reduction on the XBox, Gamecube and PS2.

Darth Shifty
06-20-2002, 02:10 PM
By the way, sorry if my last post sounded hoity-toity. I teach part-time, must be in my nature. :happy:

Lord Tenebrous
06-20-2002, 02:46 PM
I believe you are thinking of the supply and demand law. As the demand goes up for a product, it's supply is reduced - and vice-versa.

If there were such a thing, I might agree, but the rule is that suppy has no effect on demand, and the opposite as well. But it does affect quantity supplied and quantity demanded, which is what we're actually working with...

A shortage is an excess of quantity demanded compared to quantity supplied at a given price; a shortage puts upward pressure on a price.

The opposite viewpoint, surplus, is why we're seeing the $4.99 price level. More supplied than demanded, pressure is downward.

Now go to a store and see if a scalper can riddle you that! :D

brentfett
06-20-2002, 03:09 PM
You guys are taking this thread way too seriously! I'm sure whoever started this thread didn't mean to offend every single person with a tattoo or who owns a cell phone!

Jonna
06-20-2002, 03:16 PM
NO!!! I'm out for BLOOOOODDDD.....BBBLLLOOOOODDDD!

Darth Shifty
06-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous

If there were such a thing, I might agree, but the rule is that suppy has no effect on demand, and the opposite as well. But it does affect quantity supplied and quantity demanded, which is what we're actually working with...

Nice catch, Lord Tenebrous! I didn't implicitly state that I was talking about quantity supplied and quantity demanded, but it was implied. Simply because you have a thousand copies of John Tesh's Greatest Hits, doesn't mean you're going to sell any.

Now go to a store and see if a scalper can riddle you that! :D

The only thing scalpers are good at figuring out is: how many scalped figures they have to sell to be able to live in their parent's basement till they're 30 so they can avoid getting a real job. :D

Lonely Padme
06-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Looks like I was tempted to the Dark side when i posted this.
(Geesh, seem like it's hard to make a joke without offending someone these days...)

So here's a more politically correct version -

... they are on the cell phone asking his friend how much the figures are selling for on E-Bay!

... they refer to Jedi's as "those guys in robes"!

... they hang around the parking lot soliciting!

... they grab 5 or more of the same figure!!!

brentfett
06-21-2002, 12:02 AM
And they DO have tattoos...... of dollar signs that is!:)

thespar
07-03-2002, 11:31 PM
would have to say they pick-up as many of the same figures they can found.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-04-2002, 12:55 AM
You know you are a scalper if . . .

you are camp out at Toys R Us at 11pm at night so you can be the first one at the store, when they open at 10 a.m. next morning.

When you sit in the parking lot at Wal-Mart and sell the figures straight from your car.

When you advertise your E-bay auction as "a super ultra-rare 3-CPO with one-of-a-kind, must-have Error-Grease stain on bubble."

When you take a sick day from work every week, to get the latest figures or worse, that buying figures is your only job, and hocking your wares at enormously inflated prices.

rynobot
07-04-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter

If you sell an OPD Anakin for $50 on E-Bay, you might be a scalper.

If someone could sell these for $50 dollars I would call them rich.

WesleySr
07-04-2002, 07:33 AM
OK, lets drop the scalper comparison to NASCAR T-shirts. I happen to be a HUGE Dale Earnhardt Sr./Jr. fan and collect SW. I have some t-shirts of both drivers that I wear.

WesleySr
07-04-2002, 07:35 AM
And the cell-phone tattoo thing was a bit ridiculous too.