PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any ideas on how to discourage scalpers in our forums?

jonboy
06-19-2002, 09:54 PM
I just had a run in with someone who was obviously a scalper in our forums. I don't want to mention names and start finger pointing, but something has to be done. He was trying to sell things higher than they sell for even on the Ebay!!! Am I wrong, or does that go against everything that we true collectors stand for? I notice that they never list prices or ever participate in these forums. When you call them on their VERY inflated prices, they logoff. Now, I'm not saying that we start an all out witch hunt. I was just wondering if any of you guys had any good ideas on some ways to make scalpers not want to sell their goods here. Nothing that will alienate or discourage legit traders and collectors. How about it

QLD
06-19-2002, 10:07 PM
The only way to stop scalpers is to shoot them in the face with a shotgun. And then shoot them fifteen times after they are dead. Then display their body on a giant star wars display in front of the store, to deter others from trying the same thing.

jonboy
06-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Wow!!! You take this pretty seriously, don't you? My dark side agrees with you, but my good side is looking for a less bloody solution.

Eternal Padawan
06-19-2002, 11:01 PM
Or...

Don't buy things from him (or her) and if you feel strongly about it, send a PM to SirSteve about the guy. if he agrees about the scalpers practices, he may ask him to stop selling things here or come up with a different solution.

But don't buy anything from the scalper. No money, they go away.

jonboy
06-19-2002, 11:15 PM
That has always been my rule anyway. They can't scalp if there is no one to scalp to. I think we should identify them and ignore their posts. That may work.

QLD
06-19-2002, 11:18 PM
It was a parody of some of the posts I have seen lately. I really don't care about scalpers at all.

DarthBrandon
06-20-2002, 03:32 AM
Don't buy and don't respond is the best solution. If he's asking way above the norm, then just move on to the next thread and leave him in the dust.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 07:31 AM
Hey scalpers, trust me on this, Star Wars is going out of style, Teletubbies are the hot items!!!

(That's how to discourage them, tell them something else is hot. :D Although when doing this in stores, try to act like you're a scalper.)

TeeEye7
06-20-2002, 07:55 AM
EP is right:

If the scalpers can't find a market here, they'll go away.

QLD must be having an "off" day....why are you being to nice?;)

QLD
06-20-2002, 09:15 AM
Me? nice? never! :)

I have taken to extreme measures the examples I use as I tire of constantly hearing people complain about scalpers.

mabudonicus
06-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Yeah, gee, I mean, who's the real problem, the fool or the fools who make it possible for him to be a fool??
I'd never pay any more than I feel right about paying for figs. I open mine right away, besides, so the MOMC prices don't mean ANYTHING to me.
Best way to stop scalpers?? Make friends and deal with them as FRIENDS. I wouldn't deal with anyone I didn't like, and for me to like people, they have to be fair and honest.
This community should be the end of scalpers, and for sure, like EP says, if there're types you suspect are using this place (all of our's place!!) to rip people off, let the big guys know. They'll take care of it, no doubt.

jonboy
06-20-2002, 02:54 PM
I have never actually bought anything from these scalpers. You can usually spot them a mile away. I just want to keep them from cluttering up our forums trying to sell there over-priced crap. Like you, I open everything that I buy anyways, so I don't care about card condition. I will not pay out the nose for some high priced fig even if I really want him. If it won't fit in any of my diaramas, it's useless to me. Even if it is an "exclusive" like the overrated Jorg Sacul!!! Thanks to everyone who posted replies, even you QLD!!!!

Obi-Don
06-21-2002, 02:31 PM
Not buying is the only way to stop them. As most people here have said. You can spot them a mile away. I can't stand a scalper. They make it harded for the REAL collectors to collect. I like the shotgun reasoning though.

QLD
06-21-2002, 04:09 PM
Even me? Awwwwwww......shucks! :D

jonboy
06-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Quite-Long Dong, you sound like a pretty jaded person.

QLD
06-21-2002, 07:12 PM
Actually I am quite jovial. I may come across that way about subjects like this I guess......but, I would say I am more than a smart ***. Don't let it rub you the wrong way.