PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan with one hand

Hellboy
06-19-2002, 10:43 PM
Well when I got home I decided it was time to open one of the 2 Obi-Wan Jedi Pilots I got the other day. I felt lucky that I was able to find 2 so I could keep 1 for my carded collection and another to go in my Jedi Starfighter.
I tore the packaging with eagerness and started to remove Obi-Wan from the blister unaware of the strength in the tape that covered the tip of his saber. I figured I would pull him free and the saber would slide out from underneath the tape. I was wrong. Obi-Wan came out but his hand stayed with his saber. :eek:
I am now the proud owner of a one handed Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter Pilot. So everyone be careful when removing this figure his hand is very thin at the wrist and never underestimate Hasbro's ability to use everthing but superglue to ensure the figures don't get freed from their packages without a fight.:frus:

LTBasker
06-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Is his hand articulated? Perhaps you could pop it back in or soften up the plastic with a hair dryer or something and get the peg out then glue them back together and put the stuff back in.

mrmiller
06-19-2002, 11:52 PM
Dude! That's the ultra-rare-super-variation! JK. It seems to me that all the figures are getting hard to remover from their packages. I thought I was going to have to rip apart my Saesse Tiin to just get him free of the plastic insert.

=MATT=

Hellboy
06-19-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Is his hand articulated? Perhaps you could pop it back in or soften up the plastic with a hair dryer or something and get the peg out then glue them back together and put the stuff back in.

I think the hand swivels like his left hand does but I can't be sure. If I were to glue it I doubt I would ever be able to use the swivel feature on that hand because the sleave of his shirt would bond with the wrist.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 12:05 AM
That's why you should take the peg out first by softening it up and using possible a sharp object like a straightened page clip and then glue the peg and hand back together then let them dry, make sure they're strongly bonded and no excess glue has seeped out and if it has then chip it off, and pop it back into a softened up arm and it should be ok.

Hellboy
06-20-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
That's why you should take the peg out first by softening it up and using possible a sharp object like a straightened page clip and then glue the peg and hand back together then let them dry, make sure they're strongly bonded and no excess glue has seeped out and if it has then chip it off, and pop it back into a softened up arm and it should be ok.

O.K. I get what you're saying, I wasn't aware that the peg could be pulled out but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip:)

odi-wan windu
06-20-2002, 07:30 AM
both hands are articulated at the wrist, better than coruscant chase.

kdp100
06-27-2002, 06:48 PM
Commiserations. A similar thing happened with my Bespin guard from the Carbon Chamber set - hand snapped clean off at the wrist with the peg left inside the socket. I repaired it by inserting a sawn-off part of a metal pin into the hand and socket and then supergluing it, but I've now lost ths articulation at the wrist. Wish *I'd* thought of softening the plastic to extract the stump!

My main beef with the Obi-Wan pilot figure is that, after all the hype about his radar-dish fitting in the hole in the Jedi starfighter just next to R4, the version of the dish that I've got won't fit into either the hole in the ship OR the stand that comes with the figure. Think I'll need to pare the peg on the dish down with a modelling-knife...

Jaina Solo
06-27-2002, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your Obi-Wan breaking his hand. This is why I've started removing my Saga figs with an exacto knife, though. I cut out the plastic trays they're in so I don't have to tug them at odd angles and maybe break something. It's a pain, but I haven't broken a figure yet.