PDA

View Full Version : Chewbacca (Cloud City Capture) MiniReview

Jayspawn
06-20-2002, 01:28 AM
I was lucky enough to find a new wave of Star Wars figures upon checking out a new Super Wal-Mart that just opened up. A new store with new figures, can't beat that!

- Likeness: What can I say? Hasbro blessed us with another great Chewbacca figure. Both Collectors and Scene Builders are in for a treat with this one. 5/5.

- Sculpt: Fantastic! There's a lot of detail right from Chewy's mane down to all the hairs on his feet. Not a single detail on this figure got missed. He has no waist articulation so his torso is all one piece. I especially love how his carry pouch and bandolier are sculpted right onto the figure. They did it right. 5/5.

- Articulation: New Chewy has 9 points of articulation. The ball-socket shoulder joints work very well for positioning. I think the highlight of the figure is a neck joint which allows the head to move up, down, right and left. "Most impressive." Especially on a Chewbacca figure. 5/5.

- Accessories: The best part, he comes with an Imperial blaster which he hold very, very well. Now it gets weird. He comes with C-3PO accessories which include a pile of parts, a torso and Threepio's head which when plugged into his body, lights up his eyes and plate on his back. Neato. BUT! His eyes don't light up too well. He also comes with a cargo net with you are able to put C-3PO in and put on the figure just like in ESB. Not really, because there is no way to effectively hang the net on Chewy with the 3PO and have it work. It doesn't. Thankfuly Hasbro made a 3PO with removable limbs figure already. 3.5/5.

- Playability: Now we're talking! This Chewy is a great figure to play with. He's got a blaster for Stormtrooper blasting action, a pile of 3PO parts and he's posable! 4/5.

- Value: Is $4.77 a bad price for a good Chewy figure? Naw! I didn't think so either. 5/5.

- OVERALL: A very nice figure. His legs look a little skiny but then again, they are! (if you've ever noticed) The 3PO acessories are a tad dissapointing but are only a bonus for a great figure. I would like to mention how really tall this figure is. He looks great with Han and other figures. 4/5.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 01:42 AM
How's he look on a rope in his Wookieezan scene? :D

Jayspawn
06-20-2002, 10:25 AM
Ok, probably.

lunchymeatball
06-20-2002, 10:29 AM
Sounds cool.
I cant wait to find him:D

JEDIpartner
06-26-2002, 08:29 AM
I just got this figure in the mail yesterday and have to agree with all the points mentioned in Jay's review.

The blaster is made of a slightly harder plastic than that of Leia (Bespin Escape)'s pair of Imperial Erasers.

My Threepio's eyes don't light up at all, but the panel in his back sure does! No big deal.

A+

Senator Binks
06-28-2002, 10:37 PM
You can get the net to hang right if you put his neck through the loop like a backwards necklace and then pull the threads under the "fur" on the neck.

It's tough to get 3po in the bag correctly so he's back to back with Chewie, and then tough to balance Chewie so he doesn't fall, but it's possible and winds up looking pretty good.

The thing I don't like about this one is that all of 3po's non-torso parts are molded together as a single ugly mass.

anarky
07-03-2002, 12:58 PM
chewie himself is top-notch, though i don't like his arms being permanently bent at the elbows--and i wish he had a bowcaster

my c-3po's eyes light up, but his head won't stay in place--the one-piece c-3po is kind of a waste--and the net is a sad little joke--i think it's going to be chewie solo with the c-3po stuck in a box somewhere--or i'll use the 1997 bespin c-3po

pthfnder89
07-10-2002, 01:33 PM
I snagged one of these finally today and I'm very impressed. His joints are very solid, which is a good thing considering some of the recent figures.

And his blaster is a marked improvement over the previous POTJ versions.

My Threepio lights up well but his head doesn't fit tightly into the socket, so it tends to bobble out. But considering my POTJ Mechanic Chewie cost me $7.50 with two small accessories and this new one cost me $4.78 with nine points of articulation and a 3piece lightup Threepio with a net to carry him in and a blaster, I'm dropping to my knees to pray to Hasbro right now.:)

Darth Sidious
07-11-2002, 11:09 AM
I just got mine today, and he is great! Every strand of fur is there, and there is enough articulation for my tastes. And he is large. He is about 5 in. tall! Taller than IG-88. The 3PO is ok too, mine lights up fine. The only thing I don't like is the net. I have the 3PO parts in the net, which is laying by Chewbacca. I'd give the figure a 9.75/10.

morecow299
07-11-2002, 10:15 PM
the figure looked very good and i can't wait until i get mine

morecow299
07-14-2002, 12:25 AM
i finally got my chewy today and i am so happy that id did. he is great! everything about him is good and he is probably the best chewy yet

Fixer
07-15-2002, 07:49 PM
Best. Chewie. Ever.

Rogue II
07-18-2002, 10:38 PM
Yes, this is the best Chewbacca yet. I can even overlook the elbow issue. He is scene specific, so I don't mind him not coming with a bowcaster.

I have no problems with my C-3PO lighting up. No, it isn't the greatest rendition of 3PO, but he will look fine the way I plan on using him in a Bespin diorama.

brentfett
07-19-2002, 12:38 PM
I got my Chewie to stand (with an action stand) with C-3PO in his net, perfectly back to back, but I tell you it was not easy! But it WILL work! I even have the net going from the top of his shoulder down to his opposite arm pit so it doesn't look like it's strangling him around his neck. The only thing I don't like about the figure is the way his left hand is sculpt, it looks like he's trying to explain something.

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Yep, hands down the BEST Chewie ever.

Highlights include:

Head articulation. Up/down and slightly left and right.
Ball-Shoulder-Joints! These seem to really "work well" for this figure.
Likeness. Great sculpt and proper scale.
Cool electronics. I like the light-up C-3PO

Drawbacks include:
The net just does not "work" for this figure.
I don't care for the melted-together-hunk-o-plastic 1 piece C-3PO arms and legs. The FF version is MUCH better. Not even the electronics can change that.
I would have liked to have seen knee joints with this guy. Why didn't Hasbro just use the legs from Dejarik Champ Chewie? It just seems like a waste.

Overall: Chewie good. C-3PO bad.

Considering that C-3PO is just an accessory here I give Chewbacca Cloud City Capture a: B+

JON9000
07-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Perhaps the best figure so far. The under-arm trick keeps the net in a position where 3-pos head can be up against chewie's back. This should keep the "Hasbro Hates Fans" crowd quite for awhile!!

DeadCanDance
08-13-2002, 04:01 PM
Yes, this Chewie is great. Probably the best thing about the figure is that there is no waist joint - I thought that looked horrible on the previous Chewie's because of the bandolier strap -when you turned the waist the strap was off-center; plus, the waist joint is not necessary on a figure like this.
So, if only for that reason, this Chewie is head and shoulders above the rest ;)

gibbspaulus
09-03-2002, 05:05 AM
I am less than impressed owing to one tiny problem. To get 3PO to light up you have to jam his head into the neck hole - whereupon it flew back out and vanished behind the sofa!!!

I finally rescued it today - a mistake I will not repeat!

Jayspawn
09-03-2002, 10:24 AM
Ohh thats not good.