PDA

View Full Version : worst films ever thread

wedgeA
06-20-2002, 04:51 AM
I might be really off here, but wasn't there a thread somewhere regarding the Maxim's list of the 50 worst films ever? I think it was started by stillakid. Anyone know if it was here and what happened to it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eternal Padawan
06-20-2002, 07:46 AM
Forums ---> Movies ---> Other

bigbarada
06-20-2002, 11:59 AM
It would seem that it has been deleted. I think I know why too; but don't necessarily agree. Why not just edit the language and not delete the whole thread?

2-1B
06-20-2002, 12:16 PM
I don't know how they could put Little Nicky on that list, it's great! :D

But I agree in disliking most of the movies they chose . . . Staying Alive,
Rhinestone . . .

Jonna
06-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Anyone who has ever seen Liquid Sky knows what the worst movie of all time is.

bigbarada
06-20-2002, 12:46 PM
I was glad to see Armageddon on that list. It truly was a terrible movie with one of the stupidest plots of all time.

wedgeA
06-20-2002, 09:44 PM
BB,

Thanks for the info, and second that on Armageddon being a pile of excrement!

"Harry, I love you!!!" Please! The scene that is supposed to be the most emotional is the laughable. Amazing that the film reduces it (mostly) talented cast to B grade shlock.

pthfnder89
06-21-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by wedgeA
BB,

Thanks for the info, and second that on Armageddon being a pile of excrement!

"Harry, I love you!!!" Please! The scene that is supposed to be the most emotional is the laughable. Amazing that the film reduces it (mostly) talented cast to B grade shlock.

I don't know. I think that's too easy of a choice. Armageddon at least had some funny bits and some good special effects; granted it still sucked, but I have seem plenty of movies that honestly don't have a single redeeming virtue.

Just thinking of films from the last year, Driven is up there with the worst I've ever seen. I was never excited. I was never interested. I never even laughed, except at the parts that aren't supposed to be funny.:rolleyes:

Mission Impossible 2 was pretty bad also, but it had a few neat bits.

QLD
06-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Big B and Wedge!

Thank you!

I have always though that Armageddon is king poo of turd island!

But for some reason, TONS of people like that dungheap.

Truly awful movie.

To me, the worst move ever is Class of Nuke 'Em High 2.

SO horrible it wasn't even funny.

wedgeA
06-21-2002, 03:31 PM
pthfndr89,

NO!! YOU'VE AWAKENED MY REPRESSED MEMORIES OF DRIVEN!! I TRIED TO FORGET, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I'VE TRIED TO FORGET!!

Worst films ever for me include Cyborg, Lawnmower Man 2, Cutthroat Island, Where the Heart Is, and Queen of the Damned.

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 12:47 AM
The main post of the thread was a link to a page with overt profanity, and that's one of SirSteve's big forum no-no's, but then someone also reposted the whole page's contents in the thread and some of it got through the autocensor while some of it was simply inappropriate. I sent the whole thing to SirSteve to make the big decision, but since he was asleep, I had to pull it right away because the more I read, the worse it got and since SSG is an all-ages site, we could have got in big trouble.

wedgeA
06-22-2002, 01:58 PM
JT,

Thanks for your info, as well as fixing my post in the ST:Nemesis thread. I read through that article and did not even notice the profanity, sorry.

BoShek
06-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Tomb Raider. :-(

DeadEye
06-22-2002, 09:22 PM
A real stinker was Submerged. There were suppressed guns that still made noise when they fired; many people got shot and there was no blood at all; the acting was banal; its budget must have been about four dollars; the story is apparently based on the adventures a ten-year-old gives his action figures.

2-1B
06-23-2002, 01:21 AM
I just watched Slipstream (with Mark Hammill and Bill Paxton) and think that movie would make my "worst 50" list.
It was available on a "Great Sci-Fi Films" 3-in-1 DVD that also included Abraxas and another movie I can't remember. I friend picked it up when he saw Hammill's name, it was worth the chance since it only cost 7.99.
Worth his chance, not mine. :D

jjreason
06-23-2002, 08:30 AM
I really hate:

Pure Luck (with Martin Short) funny fella, but not in this one.
Hannibal (I don't even know why this book was written, sad that Hollywood felt obliged to make it into a movie)
Any Martin Short movie but ESPECIALLY "What's the worst that could happen?" Having to watch that show.
Any Freddie, Jason or Halloween crap or crap like it. Stooooopid.
I know that thinking too long about this is going to make me mad, so I'll stop there.

saladin
06-23-2002, 06:51 PM
all video game movies, Captain America, Fantastic 4, Rollerball, Phantom Menace.

Eternal Padawan
06-24-2002, 08:03 AM
I guess I should have proofread the text more closely before I copied it. Sorry guys. Maybe somebody could compile a list of the TITLES only...and the debate could continue from there...

billfremore
06-24-2002, 08:41 AM
If you want to see one of the worst movies ever made see:

Operation: Golden Phoenix

This is so bad, it's funny.

Exhaust Port
06-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Event Horizon
Aliens 4
Robot Jox (so bad it's funny, so I bought this one)

JediTricks
06-24-2002, 10:31 PM
Sure thing wedgeA, glad I could help.

As for that list, from 50 to 1:
50. Can’t Stop the Music (’80)
49. Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man (’91)
48. Erin Brockovich (’00)
47. Blues Brothers 2000 (’98)
46. A View to a Kill (’85)
45. Battle for the Planet of the Apes (’73)
44. The Sound of Music (’65)
43. A Gnome Named Gnorm (’94)
42. Soul Man (’86)
41. Exit to Eden (’94)
40. Zardoz (’74)
39. Rhinestone (’84)
38. Battlefield Earth (’00)
37. Speed 2: Cruise Control (’97)
36. Under the Cherry Moon (’86)
35. Junior (’94)
34. Mandingo (’75)
33. Cobra (’86)
32. Scenes From a Mall (’91)
31. Spice World (’97)
30. Xanadu (’80)
29. Cocktail (’88)
28. Cool as Ice (’91)
27. Clambake (’67)
26. Godzilla (’98)
25. Howard the Duck (’86)
24. Double Team (’97)
23. Heartbeeps (’81)
22. Psycho (’98)
21. Hook (’91)
20. Dune (’84)
19. The Last Movie (’71)
18. Moment by Moment (’78)
17. Gymkata (’85)
16. The Thin Red Line (’98)
15. Moulin Rouge! (’01)
14. Nell (’94)
13. The Godfather Part III (’90)
12. Cutthroat Island (’95)
11. Dirty Dancing (’87)
10. Little Nicky (’00)
9. When Harry Got Mail in Seattle
8. It’s Pat: The Movie (’94)
7. The English Patient (’96)
6. The Postman (’97)
5. Staying Alive (’83)
4. Armageddon (’98)
3. Patch Adams (’98)
2. Steel Magnolias (’89)
1. Batman & Robin (’97)

(BTW, I believe #9 is a convergence of "When Harry Met Sally", "Sleepless in Seattle", and "You've Got Mail".)

bigbarada
06-25-2002, 12:05 PM
I've heard before that they are actually planning on a sequel to Battlefield Earth. Travolta wants to make a part 2 so badly that the studio plans to cut their losses and take a chance on his "star power." Just the rumor I heard. It's nice to see big stars using thier influence to make self-serving bombs and letting the studio take the fall.

John Travolta=Kevin Costner?

wedgeA
06-25-2002, 01:33 PM
BB,

Of course that just hurts the movie goer as well. The studios help to cut their losses by increasing the costs of exhibiting the film, which helps lead to higher ticket prices, so we can pay more to watch such drivel.

Worst of all, allocating $$ to such garbage keeps some worthwhile projects in development limbo. It is a travesty that stinkers like BE are made when the Prisoner film and I Am Legend may never see the light of day.

bigbarada
06-26-2002, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking that by 2005, I'm going to be completely burned out on big-budget epic movies. Let's see we have LOTR: TTT and ROTK, Terminator 3, more Harry Potter flicks, Indy 4 and finally Ep3. I think I might just stick to smaller more personal films after all that. I have a feeling the average moviegoer will feel the same way. When CG Dinosaurs become "same-old-same-old/ been there, done that" then it is time for something new.

SQueek
06-26-2002, 11:41 PM
JT i dont agree with ALOT of those movies, the worst movie of all time was not batman and robin, if were talking big budget bummers then were talking waterworld

alot of people say whats that? ITS PAT!

not the worst movie EVER....

JediTricks
06-27-2002, 09:22 PM
That's ok Squeek, it's not my list. :D

However, I did like Waterworld when I saw it on videotape a few years ago. I saw Batman & Robin on the same day as Speed 2 and consider Speed 2 to be far and away much worse than B&R (which is a bad film, to be sure ;)).

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-29-2002, 02:56 AM
IMHO, Starship Troopers should have been on the list.

QLD
06-29-2002, 12:41 PM
BB,

I know what you mean. But I think that is why every now and then you see a movie like My Best Friends Wedding make MEGA-BUCKS.

boss nass
06-29-2002, 02:11 PM
i think the movie Driven should be on that list

stormie
07-05-2002, 04:36 PM
I disagree with the list a lot too.

I would probably go with "Driving in Cars with Boys" as my worst movie. Painfully bad. And yes, I'm embarrassed to say that I saw it. :D

evenflow
07-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Worst movies ever -

1. Blair Witch Project
2. Water World

anarky
07-09-2002, 02:33 PM
highlander 2: the suckening

RooJay
07-10-2002, 06:54 AM
My pics for three of the worst movies of all time:

Battlefield Earth - I thought I might watch it on my lunchbreak one day when I was still in the theater business. As a manager I was allowed to take a 2 hour lunchbreak if I chose; about half an hour into the movie I found myself thinking, "I should really be getting back to work"!

Batman and Robin - My life would've been much happier if I had just followed my urge to walk out on that one. I was determined to give the movie the benefit of the doubt right up until the bitter end. All I got for the effort was a splitting headache, lots of lower back pain, and a sore jaw from clenching my teeth.

Freddy Got Fingered - I admit it...I am actually a fan of Tom Green! I still can't believe that somebody even ok'ed this for production, much less that someone actually put up the money to see it completed.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-10-2002, 07:25 PM
worst movies ever are:
Pokemon Movies
Scooby Doo
House on the Haunted Hill
Battlefield Earth
Swordfish

also when i was young i liked howard the duck and that movie shouldnt be on the worst movies ever list imo but it defintaly shouldnt be on the greatest movies list ever either

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Swordfish , Erin Brockovich, Dirty Dancing ? Worst films of all time ?
Water World, Battlefiled Earth, Highlander Endgame, I can see these but the others I can't agree with at all. Erin Brockovich was way too funny and it had an excellent story. Swordfish was awesome and D.D. is a classic.

SithDroid
07-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Worst Movies ever in no particular order

Battlefield Earth
Waterworld
Blair Witch Project (All of them)
Batman and Robin
Godzilla (1998 US version)
Any Kevin Costner movie (except Dances with Wolves and Robin Hood)
Any Keanu Reeves movie (except The Matrix)
Kids (disturbing)
Gummo (disturbing)

That's all for now, if I think of more I'll add them later.

pthfnder89
07-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by brandon
Swordfish , Erin Brockovich, Dirty Dancing ? Worst films of all time ?
Water World, Battlefiled Earth, Highlander Endgame, I can see these but the others I can't agree with at all. Erin Brockovich was way too funny and it had an excellent story. Swordfish was awesome and D.D. is a classic.

You're right that none of those belong on a Worst Movies list brandon. It's just because they're usually thought of as "chick flicks" (well, obviously not Swordfish:)) and this is a male-dominated forum. Personally I thought Erin Brokovich was one of the best movies of that year. I don't care too much for Dirty Dancing either but theres nothing about it that makes it a bad movie. It just isn't my cup of tea.

RooJay
07-11-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid

Any Kevin Costner movie (except Dances with Wolves and Robin Hood)

Even JFK and Thriteen Days?!!:sur: I'd have to disagree with you on that one.

wedgeA
07-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Roojay,

I love both of those films! I wish we could get a theatrical cut of JFK on DVD though, the Director's Cut disrupts the flow of the film.

robman71
07-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Try Vampires Kiss with Nick Cage (eating cockroaches). This is perhaps the worst movie I have ever seen. A close second is Eye of the Beholder with Ewan M. (no plot that I could make out at all).

Jonna
07-11-2002, 04:31 PM
I think that we are all forgetting Liquid Sky. Come on, someone besides myself must have seen it!

robman71
07-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Did Liquid Sky have David Bowie in it? If so, yeah it was pretty horrendous, (Perhaps I have mentally blocked ever seeing that film).

Jonna
07-11-2002, 04:38 PM
No, you might be thinking 'The man who fell to earth' or something like that.

Liquid sky is this artsy 80's movie that has a 2 year olds edition of a casio keyboard throughout the entire film. Almost drove me mad!

SithDroid
07-12-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by RooJay

Even JFK and Thriteen Days?!!:sur: I'd have to disagree with you on that one.

Sorry, forgot about those two. I really like JFK, I haven't seen Thirteen Days so I can't comment on that one. I just don't like Kevin Costner.

SithDroid
07-12-2002, 12:11 AM
I for one can't understand why Moulin Rouge is on the list. That movie is absolutely AMAZING. It has all the qualities of a good movie including amazing sets, costumes, acting, singing, dancing, cinematography, plot, story, etc... This film is one of my favorite newer films. The only reason stuff like this ends up on the list is because it is a mens magazine and that movie is considered more of a "chick-flick."

RooJay
07-12-2002, 01:32 AM
They put Moulin Rouge on the list?!!! Who are these guys?!! You're absolutely right SithDroid, Moulin Rouge is fantastic! It's one of my all time, top ten favorite films! These guys are obviously a bit confused about a few things.

RooJay
07-12-2002, 01:37 AM
35. Junior (’94)
Apparently, our fearsome T-800 grew a vagina during the filming of Twins and Kindergarten Cop and then got knocked up like a drunk virgin on prom night. But the weird science here is that this Ivan Reitman comedy spooge paved the way for Arnold’s redheaded stepchildren, like End of Days and Collateral Damage. If only he’d been on the pill…

HILARIOUS!

...and very, very true! ;)

That list is one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

"Chest-shaving Belgian midget Jean-Claude Van Damme...", indeed!

AdmiralPiett
07-13-2002, 01:09 AM
I don't know about you guys, but "Dude, Where's my Car" gave me a bad feeling about people, especially the young generation of which I am demographically a part of, for about 3 weeks after I saw it. BTW, I only went to see it because when my friend and I arrived at the theater it was going to be over an hour until the next movie started and we didn't want to wait but didn't want to waste the trip either. That would have to be my worst movie of all time (although there are plenty on your lists that I haven't seen before).
Piett

morecow299
07-13-2002, 11:31 PM
The worst movies are those insect movies like attack of the ANTS 1- however many and attack of the BEES 1- however many. These movies were so porely made and the plots were horrible
they have to be the worst movies i've ever watched on TV