PDA

View Full Version : need advice on cheap digicams

SWAFMAN
06-20-2002, 02:18 PM
I can't afford a sexy digicam right now, but I really need to get something to take some digipics. I have a scanner, but I'm always disappointed at the quality of scanned photo prints.

Question to forumers: Has anyone found one of the inexpensive "eyeball" style digicams that can sit atop your rmonitor, that have good still-photo quality? If so, what was the price range?

SWAFMAN
06-20-2002, 10:17 PM
gee, don't everyone post replies all at once, or anything!

Jason B
06-20-2002, 10:22 PM
lol. I'm not sure of the price, but those Intel Webcams that sit on top of your moniter are pretty nice. my school has one, and it has a button on top of it to take snap shots. it will stream video, and it has a video out jack, so you can record off of it to a VCR, which is a nice feature. it attaches with USB, and it doesnt even need to be plugged in.

Dar' Argol
06-20-2002, 10:36 PM
I have a Logitech QuickCam that cost around $50 and here's what kind of pics it takes:

Scary!!!! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=109603)

So I went out and got a digital camera. Its good to web chat with someone, but it doesn't take pics like a camera.

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 12:40 AM
My sister spent a year buying and returning low-end digicams (aka webcams, I believe), they're just junk, she ended up throwing in the towel. Some digital cameras that aren't webcams actually can function as a webcam as well as a regular high-quality digital camera.

SirSteve
06-22-2002, 08:32 AM
You get what you pay for in this category... there are a lot of things to look at. What type of memory do you like? Compact Flash or Smart Media? There is even Memory Stick (Sony products).

I did a quick search and found this:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/15109.html?origin=story

Also, try online price comparison sites such as deal.com, pricewatch.com, shopper.com, etc.

SWAFMAN
06-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice, and to sir steve for the link to that article. I guess the smart move is to stick to scanning my film prints for a while longer, while I save for a good digicam, instead of going with the webcam.