PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Nemesis (merged)

scruffziller
06-20-2002, 05:01 PM
I have heard that it opens DEC. 20th 2002. I also heard that the opening scene is Riker and Troi's wedding. I wonder if it will be a "traditional" Betazoid wedding:D . And I heard that it involves the Romulans. Any other rumors?

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 07:17 PM
They've stated that it'll be like a "Wrath of Khan" but with Picard and Romulans. Haven't heard anything about Denise Crosby coming into the mix though (thankfully) so I think the Wrath of Khan type of thing might not hold up as well.

Afterall, they pretty much did that with First Contact.

Beast
06-20-2002, 07:24 PM
The storyline sounds really horrible. I won't go into it, because I don't want to ruin the storyline. But this may be the only even numbered Trek film that actually sucks. :( Oh well, atleast the S.E. DVD of Star Trek II is coming out August 6th. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

wedgeA
06-20-2002, 07:41 PM
JarJarBinks,

I read the online script awhile back and it did not seem horrible, but a lot of the bad humor and continuity errors need to be cleaned up. If John Logan is such a "fan" of Trek, I don't know why he can't get his continuity straight. Overall, it has potential, and hopefully the action sequences will be as good as I envision them. I don't think I would go as far as saying it will suck but I do think that without some repairs it will be the weakest of the even numbered films.

I am not sure if you read the script, but I will say, without going into detail, that I hated the way Worf is re-introduced, which is a slap to the character's face.

As for the the STII:DE DVD, Aug. 8th looks to be a banner day for DVD, with LOTR:FOTR, Clash of the Titans, and V The Final Battle being released that day.

wedgeA
06-20-2002, 07:43 PM
Why is there a smile in the middle of my post?!

Beast
06-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
I am not sure if you read the script, but I will say, without going into detail, that I hated the way Worf is re-introduced, which is a slap to the character's face.

As for the the STII:DE DVD, Aug. 8th looks to be a banner day for DVD, with LOTR:FOTR, Clash of the Titans, and V The Final Battle being released that day.
I don't like the Worf thing, I really dislike the Picard plotline, and I am absolutly disgusted at the Data storyline. I hope since they are running the charecters and the franchise into the ground, that this is the last film with the Next Gen cast. :mad: :dead:

As for August 6th (my bad, I originally put the 8th), I agree. And I love your taste in movies. I am picking the same titles up that day. V kicks arse. Hopefully the series is soon to be released as well. August is a huge month for me, for DVD's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 08:09 PM
Well they've stated that since the actors are more well known now that the cost of them being in movies is getting too high and so this could be the last NextGen movie.

I want a DS9 movie!! :cool:

Hopefully I'll be dead or something close to it before they start making Enterprise movies. :D

wedgeA
06-20-2002, 09:30 PM
JarJar,

Thanks for the kind words. For me, the TNG movies in general did not match up to the OS. First Contact has some problems, but overall, I liked it. Generations is watchable on occasion, kind of like watching a train wreck, while Insurrection is by far the worst Trek film ever, yes more than TMP, and ST:V (actually an underrated film, though not great). However, ST:II-IV and VI hands down kill any effort by TNG.

LTBasker,

DS9 was my favorite Trek show, along with the OS, but I am not sure if a movie would work out. First, the last episode did a great job of wrapping up the story and to bring the characters back would not seem right. Secondly, DS9's biggest strengths were developing long dramatic arcs and successfully developing and utilizing the second tier characters, both of which would be difficult in a two hour movie. As much as I would like the see the characters in new adventures, I think it is best to leave it where it ended.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 11:14 PM
I haven't seen a whole lot of DS9, so I didn't really know that, and they don't show it here anymore - just a little after they showed the final season they took it off, which I missed the last few episodes of.

Voyager would probably suck as a movie. They'd probably go after a Planet of the Apes-like plot. :p

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-20-2002, 11:45 PM
I want a DS9 movie also! :)

I can see it now, Captain Sisko commanding a ship- ENTERPRISE F! Sooner or later Star Trek will run out of ideas, so we best get to the end of the alphabet.:D

LTBasker
06-21-2002, 12:17 AM
At the upcoming Trek Expo 2002 in Tulsa, OK, theres gonna be an exclusive peek at the trailer for Nemesis... Wish I could go. :(

Beast
06-21-2002, 12:20 AM
Don't worry LTBasker. The trailer will probably be on the net a day or two after. Or included on the Star Trek II SE DVD in August. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-21-2002, 12:24 AM
StarTrek.com says it'll be available for download over the July 4th weekend. (I think)

JetsAndHeels
06-21-2002, 04:14 PM
I got a Nemesis mini disc at a convention I went to last weekend in Charlotte. Not sure what it is. It was some kind of promo item. I guess I will have to pop it in and check it out.

scruffziller
06-22-2002, 01:08 AM
I think the first ST movie is the best.

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I wonder if it will be a "traditional" Betazoid wedding:D Heh heh, you wish! ;)

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

The rumors I've heard, which aren't much, are such a jumble, a romulan with genetic material from Picard, Romulus and Remus at war, Janeway in the mix somehow... I dunno, I hope they can make something good of this, I really didn't care for Insurrection.

Originally posted by wedgeA
Why is there a smile in the middle of my post?!
Because you put a colon ":" next to an uppercase "D". I took care of it.

I can't wait for the DVD to ST2!!!

First Contact is my 2nd favorite Trek film after ST2, I love TNG but I love TOS too... come to think of it, I love almost all Trek... except for the cartoon :D

QLD
06-22-2002, 01:40 PM
I hope this movie is good. I had such high hopes for the NG cast in movies.

DeadEye
06-23-2002, 08:12 AM
Jar Jar, don't forget that ST 4, the Voyage Home, was the worst of them all. Sure, it's entertaining to watch, but it can barely be considered sci-fi.
"Oh, save the whales!"
Utter crap. :frus:
First Contact is my favorite of all ST films. 2 and 6 come after that, neck and neck.
I never watched DS9. My ranking for the series, from best to worst, is:
TNG, Enterprise, VOY, DS9, TOS. (What's the abbrev. for Enterprise, anyway?)

LTBasker
06-23-2002, 08:10 PM
ST4 was great. It wasn't really to save the whales, it was to save the whales to save humanity from that thing.

Btw, for Enterprise, the abbreviation is ENT.

smurfvader
06-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Wow so many people didn't like Insurrection. Personally I thought it was better than any of the previous ST:TNG films. First Contact was okay, but had so many plot holes it was ridiculous. And ST:V was the worst film in ST history (with Generations being a very close second). It was so bad even Roddenbery didn't like it and considered it appocryphal.
I would have liked Enterprise more if they cut back on the technology, didn't screw with continuity, put T'Pol in a robe and gave the characters a chance to shine on their own. What I mean by that last statement is that the writers have already said they are going to write Archer, T'Pol and Tripp as Kirk, Spock, McCoy.

JIm

PS as for rumors, I found someone who posted the entire plot on his web site. I'll post it as soon as I remember where I saw it.

DeadEye
06-23-2002, 09:52 PM
I liked ST 5. It said that religion was all crap. And it is imho.

LTBasker
06-23-2002, 09:54 PM
The writers may be trying to write them like that, but it's more like Kirk, 7 of 9, and a mix between Scotty and O'Brien.

Beast
06-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I liked ST 5. It said that religion was all crap. And it is imho.
That wasn't the message of it at all. Though many have thought that. The only message you should be getting from that movie, is not only William Shatner a bad actor, he's also a bad writer and director. I've never seen a movie with so much ego in my life. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
06-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Ego? I never saw ego. Just because you despised the film, my old Gungan friend, doesn't mean that that is its message.
Your hatred has clouded your vision. :happy:

Beast
06-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Oh, I don't hate W. Shatner. I just have heard the stories from the rest of the Star Trek cast. Like Shatner purposfully flubbing his lines for a scene where Sulu was getting a promotion, to make sure it wasn't included into one of the films, I believe it was Star Trek II. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-23-2002, 11:03 PM
The first interracial kiss on tv which was done between Kirk and Uhura was originally supposed to be Spock and Uhura but when Shatner learned that it was going to be historical, he demanded the script be changed for it to be Kirk and Uhura.

Jayspawn
06-24-2002, 12:07 AM
Yeah I've heard about Michael DOrn (Worf) wanting too much $$$ to do "Nemises." He's not like To Cruise or anything. What right does he have to demand?

Anyways, I'm pretty optimistic about it. But there is NO WAY it'll be better than "The Wrath of Khan."

KHAN!!!!!!! Augusy 6th will be a great day!

LTBasker
06-24-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
Yeah I've heard about Michael DOrn (Worf) wanting too much $$$ to do "Nemises." He's not like To Cruise or anything. What right does he have to demand?

He's got alot of right, IMO. He really built up the Worf character quite nicely in TNG and DS9, Berman's just using Trek for money, so why shouldn't Dorn demand more money.

scruffziller
06-24-2002, 12:10 PM
I would have to say First Contact was the best of the TNG movies. It was somewhat unpolished in the acting but the best story line. There was really no reason for Insurrection. It screemed lets see how much we can defy our authorities, thus the title but it seemed just like a really long "episode" of the series rather than a movie.

JediTricks
06-24-2002, 10:21 PM
I think ST: Generations is the worst film in the line. My list is:

ST2: WOK
ST: First Contact
ST6: UC
ST1: TMP
ST4: VH
ST5: FF
ST3: SFS
ST: Insurrection
ST: Generations

I didn't like Insurrection because it just didn't have a quality story, it felt like a *thin* episode of TNG stretched out for a second hour. Too many phoney emotion-driven plot points, too much humor at characters' expense, and an all-around unpleasant mix of new vehicles, new aliens, and new threats. Plus, there was this slightly icky feeling to how the character inerplay was onscreen.

Trek 5 gets a bum rap IMO, Paramount snatched away so much of the budget during production that a lot of stuff just didn't get a chance to be put together the way it was intended. I thought Shatner, as a director, was probably the best one of all in terms of capturing the feel of the original series. I loved how his characters felt like they were close-knit and really cared for each other throughout familiarity without making them too cutesy. Also, he gave every main character a good part, everybody got to do something that we normally don't see their characters doing. I just wish the final plot point had been explained better, it seemed like a lot was edited out.

LTBasker
06-24-2002, 10:51 PM
ST5 wasn't all that great and IMO ST4 is top #1 or #2 Trek film. One of the few parts I liked in ST5 was the very beginning with Kirk, Spock and Bones, that was quite funny.

wedgeA
06-27-2002, 05:09 AM
Just watched the teaser trailer and it looks pretty good. The story may not be great, but this seems to be a roller coaster ride of a movie. Does not look like a typical ST film, it has darker edge, and the SFX look much better than Insurrection. Overall, I think it will be a big improvement. BTW, the trailer notes that this will be the last TNG film.

DeadEye
06-27-2002, 08:21 AM
Where did you get the trailer?

LTBasker
06-27-2002, 08:37 AM
DeadEye, it was on Entertainment Tonight but I do believe StarTrek.com will have it on July 4th or sometime around then.

IMO, it looked more like a rip of A.I., A-Team, Andromeda, and Berman's Sex Trek all rolled into one poor Star Trek movie.

It looked worse than Insurrection actually...

COMPLETELY FORGOT - It actually debuted early, it's available at the official Nemesis website.

Arrogant Arse
06-27-2002, 09:45 AM
go to Apple Quicktime to get the trailer. I posted the link for everyone.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

I thought the trailer looked very good. I hope it is not the final Star Trek Film.

It would be nice if they did a DS9 movie, but it would probably be too involved.

DS9 was a very good show. The characters were well fleshed out, and were interesting. I think this show is what G-Rod had wanted to do with the origional series. If you watch "The Cage," it is very deep/indepth/complex. The network made Roddenberry change the majority of the show so that it would go on NBC. I don't think he was ever too happy about that. G-Rod passed away before DS9 premiered, but he was somewhat initially involved with it.

wedgeA
06-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Deadeye,

Got it off the official site, but followed a link on aintitcoolnews.com

LT,

I agree that it did rip off a lot of other sci-fi, but then I think that every TNG movie has done that, ST:FC was successful the others were not. The film just looks fun though, and more epic in scope than the other films. I disagree that it looks worse than Insurrection. That was the ONLY ST movie that I was not eager to see after watching the trailer. I did not even realize it opened that Friday until my friends asked me to go that morning.

pthfnder89
06-27-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
IMO, it looked more like a rip of A.I., A-Team, Andromeda, and Berman's Sex Trek all rolled into one poor Star Trek movie.

It looked worse than Insurrection actually...

You really thought so LTBasker? I agree that they obviously made it more general scifi to appeal to a wider audience but I'm actually excited to see it. Insurrection honestly ranks as my #1 worst ST movie so far, followd closely by #5.

Beast
06-27-2002, 04:15 PM
I still don't like the story, and what they are doing to the charecters. I hope it's better then what I have read, but with seeing the trailer, it confirmed the things that I heard in rumors as being true. I told LTBasker what happens in the movie, because he wanted to know, and he's a bit upset about the direction the film takes. Oh well, maybe it's better if this does turn out to be the final Star Trek film with the Next Gen cast. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I still don't like the story, and what they are doing to the charecters. I hope it's better then what I have read, but with seeing the trailer, it confirmed the things that I heard in rumors as being true. I told LTBasker what happens in the movie, because he wanted to know, and he's a bit upset about the direction the film takes. Oh well, maybe it's better if this does turn out to be the final Star Trek film with the Next Gen cast. :(

Yeah, if I had perhaps gone spoiler-free then I might be interested from the trailer, but then seeing the trailer after learning all that, it just doesn't suit me well.

The reason why I think it's actually worse than Insurrection is because it doesn't really have a Star Trek feel. It just seems like Berman wanted to have one those "everything so super narly!" movies while still using Star Trek as his cash cow.

Beast
06-27-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Yeah, if I had perhaps gone spoiler-free then I might be interested from the trailer, but then seeing the trailer after learning all that, it just doesn't suit me well.
Just remember, don't blame me for telling you that stuff. You did ask for it. I dunno, it could end up being good, but I doubt it. But I have to agree with you LT, it just doesn't feel like Star Trek. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
06-30-2002, 02:29 AM
I believe this is the last film for the Next Gen cast. As greatful as they are, I think the cast would like to take a bow.

Refering back to a previous topic on the thread, I thought "Generations" was a great Trek movie. it gives a sort of final chapter to the life of James Kirk (one of the most popular of ALL Trek characters) and it kind of passes the tourch between Captains. It also fills a gap of time in Star Trek between the last of the Original movies and Next Generation. There is a development of characters also, Data and Picard for "First Contact."

DeadEye
06-30-2002, 08:52 AM
This is the last film with the TNG crew. I don't think it's fair because TNG was the best series, yet Kirk and his crew got seven movies while the TNG crew only gets four.

LTBasker
06-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Well one reason they said for making it the last TNG movie is because of how much the actors are supposed to get paid per movie since they are more known now and prices have definitely gone up since the time of the Kirk-era movies.

DeadEye
06-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Hmm...it's a possibility.

Darth Sinister
07-01-2002, 12:25 AM
I think Nemesis looks good! I have read some spoilers and am saddened by them but feel good about the overall movie. Knowing this is the last one with this crew will make me appreciate it on a entertaining level instead of worrying about story gaps. I will look forward to Brent Spiners character in the future. TNG crew was the best, IMHO.

First Contact is my favorite....majik carpet ride, give it up. Wrath of Khan I really like also....can't beat the look on Khan's face when they used the prefix code. I didn't mind Insurrection, I thought it had a good feel to it. Generations......the more I watch it, the more I wished I hadn't watched it. I just wished that Kirk's prophecy to himself that he would die alone would have come into play...maybe by ramming the crippled Enterprise into Soran's ship or something. It tried to do to much in one movie....but I appreciate the attempt.

DarthBrandon
07-01-2002, 12:38 AM
Although I'm not a big Trek fan, I liked the look of the trailer. It looks like it could be better than the last one. I will however wait till it comes out on video rather than seeing it at the movies.

LTBasker
07-01-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sinister
Generations......the more I watch it, the more I wished I hadn't watched it. I just wished that Kirk's prophecy to himself that he would die alone would have come into play...maybe by ramming the crippled Enterprise into Soran's ship or something. It tried to do to much in one movie....but I appreciate the attempt.

Technically he did die alone. He "died" from his era on the Ent-B when he was trapped in the Nexus in which he was alone down there, and when we see him die at the end of Generations, he does die alone because there is no one from his era with him, especially Bones or Spock. That's the only way to rationalize that that I can think of. :D

Generations wasn't that bad, it was just...boring. The Nexus situation was more like something that would've gone in an episode of TNG, and the destruction of the Enterprise-D was really the only movie-worthy thing I could see.

They could've at least not re-used the ST6 FX shot for the exploding Klingon bird of prey.

DeadEye
07-01-2002, 08:29 AM
And in the VOY episode "Flashback" they reused many shots of the Excelsior from ST6...including it getting hit by the Praxis shockwave, even though in the episode it was supposed to be a different anomaly! :D

scruffziller
07-01-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Jar Jar, don't forget that ST 4, the Voyage Home, was the worst of them all. Sure, it's entertaining to watch, but it can barely be considered sci-fi.
"Oh, save the whales!"
Utter crap. :frus:
First Contact is my favorite of all ST films. 2 and 6 come after that, neck and neck.
I never watched DS9. My ranking for the series, from best to worst, is:
TNG, Enterprise, VOY, DS9, TOS. (What's the abbrev. for Enterprise, anyway?)
No way!!:mad: That is my second most fav ST movie. You can't dispute the awesome time travel scene. ST the motion picture was the best one of all.

DeadEye
07-01-2002, 02:22 PM
I disagree. I hated TMP.

Well...let's not fight now, children! :D

Tycho
07-20-2002, 05:04 AM
I saw the preview for this one during K-19!

It looks awesome!

Once again, they're copying something from Star Wars. It looks like our Trekkers went to Geonosis in several shots.

Perhaps Poggle the Lesser will meet Picard the Greater? :rolleyes:

However, the new movie looks awesome - like a galactic battle ground ready to go and play with our weapons in.

A new alien baddy looks great as well, as does some kind of Romulan warship.

The best part? This looks like it will be a dark movie like First Contact - but maybe even more like Alien Resurrection!

I'll wait until I see more later. The preview concentrates on the villains, but you do see Data, Picard, Troi, and Worf in the preview. Looks like Picard and Data are teamed up in this adventure. (when aren't they?)

Release? December 13th! (I'll wait in line for this one!)

Eternal Padawan
07-20-2002, 08:11 AM
It looks like they tossed Mad Max, Hellraiser and StarTrek into a blender and hit pureť. The only saving graces for me right now are John Logan wrote it (which might be it's downfall) and it's an even numbered ST film, which gives it a fighting chance at not sucking.

LTBasker
07-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Don't forget A-Team with the land rovers and A.I. for the pod that Picard and Data were in. ;)

Looks bad IMO. Only things that look Trek are the uniforms, Worf, Data, and the Enterprise-E.

DeadEye
07-20-2002, 09:00 AM
I think it will be okay. Picard's crew was always the best Trek crew, as it's the only one that actually functioned like a real crew and had a good balance of members--but since this is their swan song, I really hope they don't jack it up.

Beast
07-20-2002, 11:08 AM
Eternal Padawan and LTBasker are right on the money here, they stuck all those movies into a blender and hit puree. I have read the plotline, and I firmly believe that this will be the only even numbered Star Trek film to suck. The plot, and what happens to certain members of the crew is pants. All that can be said, is that the film is going to be craptaculer. This was all discussed recently in the following thread:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10661

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-21-2002, 04:38 AM
Haven't seen the trailer yet, but Geonosis isn't exactly that visually original so I'm super-skeptical of this claim of Trek borrowing from SW. Hell, Geonosis looks like the caves of Vulcan in some ways, and that's from 10 years ago based on a crappy set from 35 years ago!

Mentioning "Alien Resurrection" when describing this film is a death-mark BTW, you may as well have said "Nemesis looks as good as Speed 2". :D

scruffziller
07-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Okay this is the Star Trek Nemesis Thread, but since we are getting off the subject, I wonder when they will make a Star Trek movie that involves Q!!!!!:confused: :D I wonder if this will be the last Next Generation movie?? Perhaps DS9 next? I really didn't care for DS9 that much. But I did like what could sum it up "THE ODO & QUARK SHOW"!!!!!!!!!!

Eternal Padawan
07-21-2002, 11:33 AM
originally by JarJarBinks
The plot, and what happens to certain members of the crew is pants.

Pants? What? :confused:

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I wonder if this will be the last Next Generation movie?? Perhaps DS9 next?

It will. Nemesis is the very last film to focis on the TNG cast. Now it's possible that some of the characters may appear in future movies but they've announced that the next film, whatever it may be, won't be a TNG film.

Largely this is because of the difficulty they had in just making this one; Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner both requested a LOT of money (well, for a Star Trek movie) and almost didn't sign.

And there have been problems on all three previous movies with several of the actors upset that they weren't geting any screen time; which is true. Data and Picard always get the story to focus on them, since they are the most popular characters. But it would suck to be one of the other actors, who used to get their own storylines on TV, and now just gets to sit in the background and do nothing.