PDA

View Full Version : "Thank the Maker!"

stillakid
06-20-2002, 06:32 PM
In AOTC, when C3PO first sees Anakin at the homestead, he exclaims, "Oh, the Maker!"

Fast forward two episodes to ANH. As C3PO is being lowered into the oil bath, he exclaims, "Thank the Maker..."

So, at what point did this droid find religion? :rolleyes: Or is he assuming that Anakin poured the oil in that tub a long time ago? or does he know somehow that Luke is Anakin's lil' boy, so in a roundabout way, Anakin (the Maker) is indeed responsible for the oil bath in ANH?

Beast
06-20-2002, 06:37 PM
Well, Anakin Skywalker is C-3PO's creator/father. In ANH, C-3PO has had his memory wiped (or restriced) so he doesn't recall his maker. All he knows, is that someone was his maker, even though he doesn't know or recall them. C-3PO probably has a strong connection, to his unknown maker. Kind of how religious people thank their creator (god) when good things happen to them. Even though they have never met their creator personally. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

saladin
06-20-2002, 09:10 PM
jar jar you a genius( i'd never though i'd say that.)

stillakid
06-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

C-3PO probably has a strong connection, to his unknown maker.

:confused:

Like I said, when did a DROID find religion?

Beast
06-20-2002, 10:35 PM
C-3PO has human-like emotions. If you had this mysterious maker, that you know almost nothing about, wouldn't that being take on some sort of a "godly" aspect in your mind. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-21-2002, 12:18 AM
He could've also meant the maker of the oil bath, or that elevator the lowered him in. :D

2-1B
06-21-2002, 01:48 AM
I think Threeps is just using an expression, he isn't literally praising a deity or creator in ANH, it's similar to when people around me say "thank God" without meaning it in a religious way.

The AOTC line does draw a direct parallel, I don't know what George's point was other than to "ryhme" with ANH.

Hmm, I would also link his ANH line to the way Han says "then I'll see you in hell." It has the same nonliteral feel to me. :)