PDA

View Full Version : Are we in Danger?

lunchymeatball
06-21-2002, 06:47 AM
I am basing this thread on the wise words of author Neil Gaiman (Sandman, American Gods)

Are we in danger of taking all of the magic out of Star Wars?
Neil Gaiman said "the mystery endures far longer than the story itself" I agree with this and I think that this could be the case with the prequels being made.

Think about what made Boba Fett so cool. Think about how/why Anakin became Darth Vader. Think about The Clone Wars.Think about why Vader turned on his former master.

We knew hardly anything about these things and the mystery was the thing that kept us all spellbound and wanting more.
Now we are getting these things, do you all feel that the magic of certain events in the OT are draining away with the mystery now all these things are being answered.

This is not a thread knocking the PT because I am as guilty as any wanting the answers but, in the end I dont feel the PT throws as much mystery into the whole picture, ie it is purely trying to close the book and not posing as many questions as the OT.

Lucas Please leave some unanswered questions for us to ponder.
It is the mystery that endures far longer than the story.

Obi-Don
06-21-2002, 01:31 PM
No, I don't think the magic will be gone. SW will go on in our own minds and [don't blast me for this] in books. GL has created a universe which can be expanded on even in our play as kids and adults.

Darth Grifter
06-22-2002, 12:04 AM
If he leaves unanswered questions people will knock him down for not completing the series. I could read the headlines now, "Lucas falls desperately short, Episode 3.5 needed cries fans."

I don't think that Lucas is in any way opening long-locked doors that need to be left shut. His opening of these doors is allowing us to answer the long-unanswered questions and completing the story for ourselves, where previous to the PT there were no answers and only a bunch of squabling pet plots floating around in cyberspace and imaginations. Now, we know. And, to coin a happy GI JOE phrase, "Knowing is half the battle."

darthvyn
06-23-2002, 02:38 PM
let's not forget that he intended to unlock these doors. otherwise ANH would be episode I, and the prequels would be -III, -II, and -I. (i know the romans didn't have negative numbers, but you get the picture...)

lunchymeatball
06-24-2002, 04:43 AM
Obi Don, Darth Grifter and Darthvyn, Firstly thanks for replying with creatively objective answers and not just jumping on me for dare I say it "critisizing" Star Wars.

The reason I thought of this is because of many things about Star Wars (OT) have made me a fan for quite some time now and I think that now the closing chapters are being made will they ever live up to everyones expectations (check out the Phantom Menace section)
As an example;
Wll the reasons Anakin turned into Dath Vader be everything we hoped for?
I don't think this can be answered properly of course until it is committed to film when it then becomes "history" but, we (the fans) have been speculating for years on why this transormation took place. When it is finally answered thats it "case closed" and will we truly be happy with it?
Are we happier now we know the story behind Boba Fett and why he became the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy?
Or were we happier when Boba Fett lived up to all our expectations because we didn't know anything about him, we had only our imaginations to realise how cool he could be, and what we individually envisioned him to be like.
I personally was happier not knowing about Fett as in my imagination he could never let me down.

I just don't when all is said and done, want to feel that although I have had the "burning" questions answered, lose something far greater and enduring.

Let me know if you agree/disagree
Cheers:)

darthvyn
06-24-2002, 11:26 AM
i do agree that everyone has great expectations for certain plot points (see "complete story to speculate from" and "anakin will not fall into lava [for the idiots]")

will they all be satisfied with the final outcome? no. what's that about pleasing everyone all the time? it's just not possible.

personally, sure, i have a lot of what i like to call "pet plot points" i would like to see. will i be angry if episode III turns out differently than my theroies? probably not. i have to say, i didn't do a lot of speculation for ep II, a little, but not nearly as much as with ep III, and definitely not as far away from the release of the film... (i was speculating on III the moment i walked out of the theater at the midnight showing... lol...)

however, i am quite good at leaving my preconceptions at the door, clearing my mind of questions, unlearning what i have learned. (i had a good teacher...) i don't really forsee disliking ep III, i have enjoyed the prequels thus far. sure, menace was far from the best, but i have clones up there with empire. as long as ep III tells it's story the best way possible (in my estimation) i'll be very pleased, and that's all any of us can hope for.

lunchymeatball
06-26-2002, 04:59 AM
Well what can I say. Thanks Darthvyn, you;ve sold me:)

I think I'm being too analytical and once its written in stone (or film as the case may be) then accept is what I will.

And again "time will tell":)

Jek Porky 2002
07-06-2002, 07:31 AM
No we're not in danger, the story was always ment to be finished so it will be!

darthvyn
07-06-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by lunchymeatball
Well what can I say. Thanks Darthvyn, you;ve sold me:)

I think I'm being too analytical and once its written in stone (or film as the case may be) then accept is what I will.

And again "time will tell":)

ROCK!!!

i gotta say, though, that EVERYONE has slowed down greatly in this section. i don't know if it's that they all went to the spoilers section, or what, but i feel like i'll be alone in here for a long time... i'll start answering my own posts... lol...

scruffziller
07-08-2002, 02:34 AM
No I don't think that is happenning at all, rather on the contrary. New magic is being created by revealing the secrets and the whys and new wondrement is blossoming.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-08-2002, 10:26 AM
i dont think no magic is taken out of star wars

Exhaust Port
07-08-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm finding the more information we're learning in the Ep. I-III the more interesting IV-VI are becoming. The OT story is even more important as it shows the demise of everything that originates in Ep. I-III. Finally "A New Hope" finally means something. Obi Wan finally has a past that we know and understand and he's not just some guy who makes a brief appearance for 1 hour. The history of the Jedi is clearer and only makes the return of the Order in the OT more exciting. Will they ever return to their original glory/strength?

There are so many other items that are becoming more interesting the second time around. When all 6 movies are done there will be plenty of questions that will still remain after ROTJ. It's going to be a great series to watch in it's entirety. I don't think you have anything to worry about lunchymeatball.

PS: Two things that I will miss is the mystery of who Vader is from the OT (that's going to be plainly obvious from the prequals) and the roll that Luke/Leia are destined to play (again will be spoiled by the prequals).

stillakid
07-08-2002, 11:04 AM
It's a question of balance, which GL is failing to deal with properly. Of course we should have some opportunity to witness a younger Obi Wan and Yoda, but the story shouldn't revolve around them. Boba and the Swiss Family Fett should never have been brought into the prequels. And, or course, giving away the entire history of Anakin gives away the farm and obliterates the large scale mystery that made the original trilogy so wonderful. This saga was supposed to be an epic adventure chronicling the fall of a great Republic and the fight for it's return. To tell that story, many smaller tales were used, some very integrated with the larger epic, some not, but all in the service of the big picture.

So, if all that was pared down for the prequels, what would be left? Plenty. As Lucas himself said years ago in a Playboy interview, the prequels were supposed to have been far more political than the originals. We were supposed to be seeing far more of the political machinations that take place behind the scenes. Instead, we're getting a play by play color commentary of what happens to Anakin, Obi Wan, and lil' Fett.

So, yeah, the magic is draining away because Lucas is changing the point of the entire saga as we watch it. And no, it's not losing it's appeal because 1) we're older 2) more critical 3) the OT had just as many "problems" but we were too young to care 4) any other silly reasons. The Prequels aren't what were intended in the first place nor are they what we were "promised." The magic is draining away and it isn't "our" fault.