PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Gimmick?

Darth Sidious
06-21-2002, 01:43 PM
Ok, we all know most of the gimmicks suck, but which one is the best (Or least horrible), in your opinion? :D Removable lightsaber blades dont count. I'd say Dooku's slashing attack, it is stupid that you squeeze his legs, but it is fun to cut Anakin's arm off. I actually like some of the muzzle flashes/reflections too. Just thought this was fairly original. :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-21-2002, 01:57 PM
GR Mace.

QLD
06-21-2002, 03:43 PM
MY favorite gimmick is the following:

CAN U DIG THAT!!!!!!!!

SUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

LTBasker
06-21-2002, 03:47 PM
Jango Fett's grappling hook isn't bad... It's actually quite fun, if you put his arm up and put the rope in his hand, it looks like he's lowering himself down and he can be "firing" a blaster in his other hand. :cool:

pthfnder89
06-21-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Jango Fett's grappling hook isn't bad... It's actually quite fun, if you put his arm up and put the rope in his hand, it looks like he's lowering himself down and he can be "firing" a blaster in his other hand. :cool:

If the grappling hook counts as a gimmick then I'm with LTB on this one. I love it! Of course I've mentioned a couple times that I have a strange fetish for string accessories...:D

But if you count the grappling rope as just an accessory, then my favorite would probably have to be Luke Bespins (and to a lesser extent, Vaders) slashing action. It actually works really well on both of my figures, and unlike a lot of people I simple don't care if there's a little button sticking out of his back. Doesn't bother me a bit. :)

I have a feeling that this might turn into a debate on what is actually a "gimmick" and what is just a part of the toy...

saladin
06-21-2002, 04:52 PM
none, action figures suck, but the falling off limbs isn't to bad(anakin and jango)

Darth Sidious
06-21-2002, 05:05 PM
Gimmick (Definition I'm looking for): Anything not used in any SW figures other than Saga, whose main goal is to amuse little kids. Removable arms do not count, nor do removable blades as almost everyone likes that idea. Force effects are one example of a gimmick, in this sense.

Darth Shifty
06-21-2002, 05:10 PM
I don't mind Mace's or Vader's lightsaber slashes. I don't mind them as long as it doesn't detract too much from the asthetics of the figure. And yeah, I kinda like the deflections and muzzle flashes because they look decent and best of all - they're removable.

Lord Tenebrous
06-21-2002, 06:37 PM
The massiff's gimmick is decent. C'mon, you know you bought it for the Geonosian Warrior and not the statue ;)

Darth Sidious
06-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
The massiff's gimmick is decent. C'mon, you know you bought it for the Geonosian Warrior and not the statue ;)

Yes, that is funny. The figure is the accessory, thats great! The Massiff is cool too. Its like "Dog" action figure, with "Human".

BillyJAck
06-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Luke Bespin slashing attack is my favorite. yeah i know there a button coming out of his butt. But I display my figures facing forward most of the time. I always play with this gimmick. plus there no gap in his waist. very cool figure all around 5 out of 5 in my book

TIE Pilot
06-21-2002, 09:42 PM
I kinda like the "exploding" feature on the Super Battle Droid. Well, actually it's not the exploding that I like.. it's being able to change the breast plate from clean to damaged. I wish more figures had interchangeble parts.

2-1B
06-21-2002, 09:45 PM
I dislike all gimmicks equally. :)

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 04:25 AM
*STRONG* Magnetic hand Force actions. I don't like the weak ones, or the ones where the hands are big and flat like Obi-Wan Coruscant (actually, even that isn't THAT bad for me), but I like the ones that are strong and work well like Ani HD's hand (and arm, if you can get one where the peg isn't too long, like the first one I got).

After that, it's the SBD's exploding action. It doesn't get in the way and it allows for the swapping of parts and it works!

Beast
06-22-2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
I dislike all gimmicks equally. :)
So that means, you like all gimmicks equally...from a certain point of view. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Obi-Don
06-22-2002, 04:38 AM
Well, we can't use the lightsabers so it would be the blast effects for the guns. I really don't care for the magnets that much. I guess you can say that I don't care for the gimmicks that much at all really. I just want the figures. I don't like the arms coming off at all. The magnets fall out and when my kids are playing with thiers,they get up set because they can't keep the arms on. I in up gluing them on for them. This is a good thing for the collectors,but I don't think kids enjoy it much and will loose the limbs once the magnets get weak.

Jargo
06-22-2002, 03:43 PM
None at all. Don't like the magnetic feature. Don't like the slashing actions. Don't like the blast effects. Don't like the pre-poses. Don't like the force flipping action.

What i do like is lots of accessories and articulation. Non specific poses. Good paint applications. Finished properly sculpts. Harder plastics used in the production of the figures so the limbs don't pop out of the joints. Careful packaging of the figures and accessories so they don't warp or bend while in the packaging and becaome rendered useless before you even get them out of the blister.

That's what i do like. But i don't like the gimmicks one iota.

bigbarada
06-22-2002, 04:12 PM
I would pick the blast-effects and force effects because you can toss them in the trash with the packaging and forget they even exist.

I tend to think that kids are just as amused by accurate, detailed sculpting and lots of articulation as adults are; but this IS the video-game generation we are talking about here.:)

Yoda'sMaster
06-22-2002, 07:11 PM
floating yoda!

SuperBattleDroid88
06-22-2002, 08:29 PM
I would have to say... uummm... Let me get back to you on that one...

sith_killer_99
06-22-2002, 09:18 PM
I hate GIMMICKS.:mad:

What I do like are:

Lightsaber's with removable blades
Metal lightsaber hilts
Jango's REMOVABLE head hehehehe
A few of the "Blast Effects"
Figures withOUT stupid gimmicks

In fact my favorite figures so far are the ones WITHOUT gimmicks:

Royal Guard
Clone Trooper
Geo Warrior
Massiff
Nikto
Endor Rebel Trooper

I can at least thank Hasbro for these figures. ESPECIALLY the Royal Guard!:D :D

chubbychicken
06-22-2002, 10:44 PM
i like the firing tripod cannon from the clone trooper and the fire jet pack frum jango fett kamino escape...becuz the feature is pretty cool and it doesnt make the figure look stupid in any way

anarky
06-27-2002, 01:21 PM
clone trooper and chewie: articulation is a gimmick i can live with
chewie's half-baked electronic c-3po corpse sucks, though

r2-d2: can't have enough electronic artoos

kit fisto: of the craptacular slashing features, his is best--doesn't screw up the figure too badly

Jedi Drew
06-27-2002, 01:43 PM
I like the headless Jango :eek: and the Clonetrooper with firing tri-pod. The rest are O.K.-nothing to brag about. HH:) :)

JON9000
06-27-2002, 03:25 PM
I think the suction cup on the Weather Vane that comes as a pack in with Bespin Luke is the coolest. Mine is still in the package- anybody tried hanging it yet?

sith_killer_99
06-27-2002, 07:03 PM
Yep, I bought an extra to open. I hung it at my computer desk and then managed to hang Luke from it.

I took a couple of pics. It hung for about 30-45 min. then came crashing down.:(

But it was cool while it was up.