PDA

View Full Version : Would you like an animated series based on existing books and comics?

stonecold
06-21-2002, 04:49 PM
For quite some time I've been thinking where Star Wars should head once Episode III is finished. There is a ton of quality reading material out there in the SW EU. I think a good way to present many books in a short amount of time and on a limited budget (Lucas can't make every Star Wars story into live action) is to have an animated series based on these mediums. The SW saga would go on, and we could experience these great comics and books in a much more entertaining way. I would love to see how stuff like the Ulic Qel Droma, Kir Kanos, and Dark Empire stories translate to the small screen. What do you all think of this idea???

Jonna
06-21-2002, 04:54 PM
GOD NO!!! It would be like all of those old bands who didn't stop, when they should have, and lost their flame.

Darth Shifty
06-21-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
GOD NO!!! It would be like all of those old bands who didn't stop, when they should have, and lost their flame.

Couldn't agree with you more, Jonna. I remember going to see the Sex Pistols at Red Rocks a few years back. It was the saddest thing seeing a 50 year old Johnny Rotton sucking on oxygen and coughing up a lung in the middle of a song.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2002, 05:59 PM
I'd like it. Think of "Batman: Beyond." That's taken a more serious spin on the characters. Make them weeklong mini-series, and it'd go over well, I think.

Sidiously Darth
06-22-2002, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure how burnedout rock bands equates with an animated SW series. SW has been a part of our culture for 25 years. I don't think a couple of years of animated shows is going to drive it into the ground.

Rogue II
06-24-2002, 04:43 PM
I can think of 2 reasons: Droids and Ewoks. I doubt George Lucas would ever approve of it.

Burned out rock band analogy:

Ok, how do you like to remember Van Halen? Or more specifically, David Lee Roth. Do you like to remember him as the rocking singer he was back in the 80s or as the loser drug addict who makes a fool out of himself every time he makes a public appearance?

InsaneJediGirl
06-26-2002, 08:43 PM
I think its a good idea.Maybe a animated series in the NJO or Jedi Tales area.Nothing long-running,maybe a season.It would be even better if we finally got EU figures from the series:D :D

RooJay
06-28-2002, 02:10 AM
I've always thought this would be a great idea! It's been one of my fondest wishes! I think it'd also be a great way for Lucas to let other creators play around in his universe; something that's always seemed to be a pretty popular idea among fan circles it seems!

I'd like to add that I have always loved both the Droids and Ewoks series'! I was highly disappointed when they were cancelled.

Jedi Master Zolbewan
07-05-2002, 09:55 PM
No! cause people like Mara Jade and Kyle Kataran have real people who potray them.

Jacen Solo
07-17-2002, 06:06 PM
No because if that happens Star Wars becomes like Star Trek, thus it would become a neverending line of poor movies, or tv shows.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-18-2002, 10:44 AM
If the series was based on existing material, it wouldn't become like ST, because ST tries to invent new stories. There are enough tales in the SW EU to make a pretty long animated line.

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Alright that makes since, and if we got EU figures from the series that would be pretty cool.

Pendo
07-28-2002, 07:36 AM
Yeah I'll go with that! I'd like to see a new animated series, similar to the Droids and Ewoks cartoons. I think following the stories of the Expanded Universe would be interesting, and give people who don't read many of the book or comics (like me) a chance to see what goes on in the stories.

PENDO!

RooJay
07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
I was, just yesterday, thinking how cool it would be if there were an Indiana Jones animated series. As long as the writers never condescended to the child audience and kept the writing smart, witty, and in the flavor of the films. I think it could have excellent educational potential as well; something watchgroups are always crying for, and which is often lacking in other animated shows! I'd also have to go out on a limb and demand a Harrison Ford sound-a-like for Indy that can also handle the character's personality and speach patterns in a faithful manner (we all know Harrison would never do it himself!).

thespar
07-29-2002, 03:08 PM
if they are do right you can make all the cartoons that you want. hope i might able to see one or two of them.:)

Pendo
07-30-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
I was, just yesterday, thinking how cool it would be if there were an Indiana Jones animated series. As long as the writers never condescended to the child audience and kept the writing smart, witty, and in the flavor of the films. I think it could have excellent educational potential as well; something watchgroups are always crying for, and which is often lacking in other animated shows! I'd also have to go out on a limb and demand a Harrison Ford sound-a-like for Indy that can also handle the character's personality and speach patterns in a faithful manner (we all know Harrison would never do it himself!).

That's a really good idea RooJay, I think an Indy cartoon would be brilliant for the kids, and some of the adults too :happy:. It would also get the kids into the movies too. I'd like to see this made!

PENDO!