PDA

View Full Version : How long does Luke stay on Dagobah in ESB?

jjreason
06-21-2002, 07:18 PM
Ive been watching quite a bit of ESB lately as my daughter has taken an interest in the "wampa" creature. Im a little confused about how much time is supposed to pass between Luke landing on Dagobah and his leaving for Bespin. He seems to learn quite a bit, and time does seem to pass at this point. The quickest time possible would be over the first night and leaving the next - after only one intensive day of training with Yoda! Is there any documentation about this length of time?

bigbarada
06-22-2002, 02:05 AM
About twenty minutes. Who knew that training to become a Jedi was so quick and easy? If that's the case then I've got a lunch hour to kill, where's Yoda?:D

Actually, I always assumed that the events in ESB took place over the course of several days. Thus Luke would get some training on Dagobah, enough to grasp the basics; but nowhere near enough to call himself a Jedi at that beginning of ROTJ.:confused:

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 02:55 AM
There's a thread about this buried way back there, but I can't find it. However, my theory is that the Falcon took around 6 weeks to get to Bespin and Luke spent another few days on Dagobah than that.

Obi-Don
06-22-2002, 05:21 AM
I guess for the movie watcher the time was cut short. I always figured that he spent a couple of weeks to. Then after it was all over and Luke returned. Luke might have stayed for a few months to learn more. I think that was the reason Luke was so powerfull in the force. Even with little training he did so much. I like to think about how powerfull he really would have been if he got the training like the other Jedi did. But,Luke had to learn most of what he knows on his own. Luke may never be what he could be,but he is still one of my favorites.

bigbarada
06-22-2002, 01:11 PM
I always assumed that he went back to Dagobah after the events in ESB and trained some more with Yoda before attempting to rescue Han. It's the only way to explain how he gained so much skill so quickly. If he learned on his own, where would he find the reference material? Wasn't all knowledge of Jedi almost wiped out of existence. Unless Ben had a Holocron in his house in case he or Yoda were killed; but that's a little bit of a stretch considering Holocrons have never been mentioned in any of the five movies.

Of course SOTE introduced the unlikely possibility that Luke trained himself after ESB. Wouldn't that lead him closer to the Dark Side?

jjreason
06-22-2002, 07:15 PM
I think that's hard to say. Luke had received a lot of guidance by this point, and had already resisted Vader's advances toward turning him. If he returned to Tatooine to build his sabre (as I read here somewhere) it's possible he spent some quality time with obi-wan's spirit as well. I hope he did go back to Yoda before that short visit in ROJ.

MikeAndTheBots
06-23-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by jjreason
it's possible he spent some quality time with obi-wan's spirit as well.
The way he talks to Obi-Wan's ghost in ROTJ makes it seem that he hasn't talked to him in a while. I think this mainly becasue he waits all that time after ESB to ask about Vader and Anakin. If he spoke to him before that, I'd be pretty sure it would come up in coversation.
I always just figured he went back to yoda for a while, built a new saber, then went to Jabba's palace. And when I say a while I mean a decent amout of time, not a week or two.

jjreason
06-23-2002, 09:04 AM
The time on Cloud city seems more well defined. We know Han et al arrive there, meet Lando, get changed into new outfits (of course, where else could Kenner/Hasbro cash in?) and go for dinner with Darth. I see this as happening all in one night. That same night, after the feast, Han is tortured and thrown in the bucket with Chewie. I imagine here that a day or so passes, Han's brought out to test the carbon freeze the next day, say afternoon. Is there any indication they were there longer than this? What makes you think so? The more I think about this, the more I think Luke was on Dagobah for a very short time. Dagobah must also be within a pretty quick hyper-space jaunt to Bespin (I don't have the maps that I know are out there somewhere) in order for Luke to get there in time to try and rescue Han.

bigbarada
06-23-2002, 12:04 PM
The only person who changed outfits on Bespin was Leia, twice. And one of those outfits was never even made in the vintage line. Han Changed once (simply took off his coat) but that figure wasn't made until two years after ROTJ was released. So how is that Kenner cashing in? (remember Hasbro was to Kenner what Pepsi is to Coke back in 1980; in fact it was Hasbro's GI Joe line that helped bring about the death of the Kenner SW line) Thus, I really don't understand your comment.

Besides it is clearly evident that Hasbro has no say in the prequels design and GL just does what he wants, thus I feel it was the same way with Kenner. If Hasbro's influence forced Amidala's 9 outfits in TPM then why have so few of them been made into action figures? Why were the podracers designed in such a way as to present such difficulties to the toy manufacturers?

Sorry, just felt that comment had to be addressed.

Beast
06-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Besides, you better hope that Han and Leia changed clothes. Especially if it took the estimated 3-6 weeks or so for the Falcon to get to Bespin. Talk about funky. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
06-23-2002, 05:20 PM
I don't have a problem with the outifts or any of the figures. I was being sarcastic and forgot the appropriate smiley icon. Sorry for not following protocol:rolleyes: I didn't know you guys loved them so much! Are you getting kickbacks?:D

Back to the topic. Someone let me know if this is close:

Luke gets to Dagobah relatively quickly from Hoth (days not weeks).

Han et al. run from the Imps for a much shorter time, it's not realistic to think they could run for days on end and not get caught, run out of fuel, etc. Essentially in real time with the movie, except for when they're in the worm where more time could pass.

In the movie by the time the Imp fleet gives up and takes off, Luke is already training with Yoda. In real time he would still be en route to Dagobah. Once Han et al. get going to Bespin some time could pass. In this time Luke would get to Dagobah and do the training, see his friends in danger and bail to save them at lightspeed. This can explain the short time on Bespin and longer on Dagobah, I guess. The editing is a little misleading if in fact this is what happened.

Hellzer
06-23-2002, 07:06 PM
One key factor that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that Luke's X-Wing had a fully funcional hyperdrive whereas the Falcon did not until the very end of the movie. That would explain why Luke had a hell of a lot easier time jetting all about the galaxy.

I'd imagine Han and company probably spent a few hours evading the Imperial forces, then 2 or 3 days inside the asteroid (remember Han saying that he "just got this bucket of bolts back together"), then maybe two weeks tops getting to Bespin. From the time they spent at Cloud City, that would give Luke a good three weeks to train on Dagobah with Yoda.

Darkross
06-24-2002, 12:16 PM
I would tend to believe that the trip to Bespin took 4-6 weeks...giving Han and Leia alot of time to fall in love etc.. Then once on Bespin, they were there probably a week ("No one has seen or heard anything about 3P0...he has been gone too long to have gotten lost!") perhaps nobody worried about him for at least a couple of days since he annoyed the heck out of everyone...having the silence must have been disturbing after a couple of days.

saladin
06-24-2002, 07:24 PM
ok luke took maybe a day to 2 days to get to Yoda, han spent maybe 2-3 hours evading then he's in the astroid for 3-4 days and while thats goes on luke is training, then it takes 4-8 weeks at shortest to get to bespin they were ther for about a week when luke leaves, it takes a day or so and luke is there.
Then luke was suposed to go to attoine and read ben's diary and thats how he trains and makes a saber.

jjreason
06-24-2002, 09:58 PM
Exxxxxcelllllent (best Cobra Commander voice). Thanks for the input.

JediTricks
06-24-2002, 11:48 PM
Found it! http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4101

I've always wondered how long it took the bounty hunters to get to the SSD and how long it took the fleet to give up looking for the Falcon and take off.

jjreason
06-25-2002, 06:16 AM
Some good points made there. Im still for shorter than longer, but I agree some time must pass. Watching the movie, it still doesn't seem like it - only when you really think about it and hash it out. Still the best movie ever, and really the only thing I can watch day after day after day without getting bored. It doesn't get any better than ESB (Cue the music used for Rogue II searching for Han and Luke....sweet!).