PDA

View Full Version : 12" Body styles in general

Darth Cruel
06-21-2002, 07:47 PM
25 years ago, the body styles were so static and the detail sculpting of the body parts was so bad that accessories had to have brackets sculpted on them for the figures to hold them. Some of us will remember the old body styles of the 70's that hardly permitted any articulation other than the head turning, the arms swinging at the shoulder, and the legs swinging at the hip.

The transitions and improvements that have come seem to have actually taken place relatively recently. Mostly within the last 6 years or so (and is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that the Star Wars line gets the leftover bodies from the G.I. Joe line).

Thank goodness today we have figures that are not only sculpted to better hold there weapons and accessories, but the articulation has had some definite improvement as well. An example of the newest and best-to-date body style is the Jango Fett "Ultimate Bounty Hunter" figure. The articulation on that figure is the standard by which I will judge all other 12" Star Wars figures.

I would certainly like to see ALL of the future 12" figures made with this type of body. I would gladly pay the extra 5-10 bucks per figure to get the sculpt/body/accessories that came with this Jango Figure.

But being a realist...I know we are going to be stuck with hte ones they are using now for Yoda only knows how long. At least they are not horrible. They can, after all, be moved some. I long for the day that I can display my Jedi Knights and Sith Lords in some awesome poses fighting each other. The one I want to do most is a pose of Darth Maul blocking attacks from both Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi at the same time.

derek
06-21-2002, 09:47 PM
good points darth cruel, but...

hasbro actually has an even better body available now, and the new 12 inch jango could of really used it.:)

you are very correct that the body jango came with is a vast improvement over the previous hasbro bodies, but it's too bad they didn't give jango the best they had.

here is a side by side comparison of the standard g.i. joe body on jango, with luke modeling the new super joe body. the new body features double jointed arms and legs and improved articulation at the torso.:)

derek
06-21-2002, 09:50 PM
man luke has a huge mellon head!:crazed: it seems even bigger in the photo.

here is another photo of the two hasbro bodies, showing the difference in the range of motion.

derek
06-21-2002, 09:57 PM
here is a shot of anakin modeling my favorite body to use for body swaps. it's made by a company called "21st century toys".

it has the same articulation as hasbro's new body, but is taller and has removable hands.

the inch height difference over hasbros body also balances out hasbro's mellon sized star wars heads.:)

luke3p0
06-21-2002, 10:44 PM
Has anyone heard anything about a 12" Luke and Taun Taun exclusive? I heard rumor of it about 2 months ago.

derek
06-21-2002, 11:01 PM
rebelscum posted photos of the prototype, which is basically the same tauntaun released with han solo, and a repainted "luke with speederbike" head.

DeadEye
06-21-2002, 11:07 PM
21st Century Toys makes basically the best 12" soldiers out there. The line is called Ultimate Soldier. Their original bodies were called Sam Bodies, and are identical to the one you see on Jango.

The new ones, which came out in 2000, are called Super Soldier bodies. These are the standard from which all 12" bodies are defined. I put Jedi robes from my 12" episode I Obi-Wan on a guy with a super soldier body...oh man, you can make some awesome lightsaber poses with the new bodies!

LadySith
06-21-2002, 11:27 PM
Hmmm... seems like in this list at least I'm the "go to guy" when it comes to 12" figures, as I've been collecting 12" figs for years, both military and "other."

For the record, Hasbro's new super-articulated (SA) body is really nice, and beats 21st's super soldier (SS) body hands down, although Dragon and Blue Box also have good base figures, although swapping heads with Hasbro's can be problematic.

derek
06-21-2002, 11:31 PM
hey deadeye,

have you ever seen a "blue box toys" body? they are way better than 21st century, just not available at mass retailers.
and a new company called "drastic plastic" has a very cool new body.:)

here from left to right are drastic, blue box and dragon bodies.:)

dstephan
06-22-2002, 02:35 AM
The Dragon and BBi bodies are very useful for SW transplants. Here's an Anakin on a Dragon body - although the head's been shrunk and repainted.

derek
06-22-2002, 03:18 AM
hey dstephen,

i've seen you on the warrior forum.:)

how did you shrink the anakin head? i saw on your site you put it in "asietone" or something? what is this stuff?:)

DeadEye
06-22-2002, 09:28 AM
Dragon toys are notoriously expensive.

I'd say the super soldier bodies from 21st century are the best you can find at cheap, mass retail.

derek
06-22-2002, 10:42 AM
hey deadeye,

all three nude figures i posted above can be purchased for about $3-$5 more than 21st century's basic figures, which sells for $10:)

21st century box sets sell for $30, while dragon and blue box average $35-$38 bucks for a boxed figure.

and 21st century's quality control has really gone south. except for a few good figures, their line is sinking. but i do like their body.:)

DeadEye
06-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Actually, the SWAT pointman is a new figure and I think he's the best one 21st century has ever done. :D

Darth Cruel
06-22-2002, 01:40 PM
I have that 21st Century SWAT Pointman. Yep, he rocks!

dstephan
06-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Acetone is an extremely toxic and dangerous chemical used to strip paint. It is also the main ingredient in nail polish remover. I've not tried the head shrinking with just nail polish remover but it may work. It's a process of soaking the head for a few hours after which it will swell up to about twice it's normal size. It will then shrink back down. I let Anakin shrink for about 5 days. The chemicals make the vinyl of the head extremely brittle and fragile, so I don't know many years the heads will last, but I like the look vs. the original melon heads.

Regarding bodies, Dragon bodies can be had naked for around $12-15. I buy mine headless and handless for $7-8 and buy hands seperately. The Hasbro costumes are short sleeved on Dragons and I suspect would be even worse on the taller 21C figures.

derek
06-22-2002, 05:10 PM
yea, i'll agree the "swat pointman" is quality, and the "3rd special forces" figure is cool, but a lot of the other figures have really bad paint jobs and look sort of "inbred". if they could release stuff like their prototype photos, they'd rule.:)

i really like the "little bird" helicopter, like the ones in "black hawk down", but just haven't had the nerve to drop $80 on it....yet.:)

DeadEye
06-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Derek, if you ever have questions on real-life military stuff, guns or otherwise, feel free to ask. I am the foremost expert on these forums; the one member that could even come close to my knowledge is BigB, who was in the Army. :D

JediTricks
06-25-2002, 02:34 AM
Didn't 21st Century Toys get bought by a larger company recently? I haven't bought any new figures of theirs since the Super Soldier body first debuted on the TRU exclusive CQB figure (which kicks arse in its own right and was only $20 with ALL THAT GEAR!!!).

derek
06-25-2002, 08:16 AM
jeditricks,

JAAKS, who makes the WWF toys, was supposed to buy 21st century toys, but that fell through. rumor is, when the books of 21st century were opened, JAAKS saw they were in trouble.

Darth Cruel
06-25-2002, 10:40 AM
OK - So now I have done something that is a first for me. I purchased a 21st Century Toy Fireman (just the 10.00 one that comes on a card) to use to switch out the body of the Clone Trooper. But, when I opened the Clone Trooper, I discovered that the body of the CT was good enough when considering that I couldn't get the hands and head off of him anyway. So I switched the 21st Century Fireman's cloths with Obi-Wan's and came up with a much better articulated figure for putting into Lightsaber fighting poses (partcularly for fighting with two Lightsabers) . I am looking forward to doing this with Han Solo and the X-Wing Pilots (Biggs and Wedgie) so that they may actually HOLD their weapons. I will have to find those carded spare hand sets, though as the hands on these 21st C carded figures are the fist type sculpt. Now I am off to find or make a thread about how to customize 12" figures so that I can switch the heads and hands.

Laserbrain
06-25-2002, 03:40 PM
You can pull the plug on the Hasbro hands by heating up the forearm with a hairdryer or hot running water then apply some elbow grease to pull them out. They're not technically made to be removable like the 21C hands, but that's easy to get around.

What I did for my first Clonetrooper was paint the 21C hands black up to the forearm. Then I took the Hasbro hands and cut the fingers off and dremelled them down until only the white armor plate was left. Then I glued the plate in place on the painted 21C hand. It's somewhat involved because you'll want to be careful and not cut up the armor plate. It took me about an hour for each hand, but I might be a little too cautious...

Laserbrain
06-25-2002, 03:47 PM
Oh, and the head of the Clonetrooper isn't supposed to be removeable either. You have to cut it off with a hobby blade. Look at the helmet from the front and you'll see this lip that hangs down below the chinline. You'll want to keep the lip so insert the blade just inside it near the neck post and cut all the way around. Trim as needed to straighten up the cut if you want.

When you're done the helmet will fit over any 21C headsculpt, but I'm not too sure about some of them hawg headed Dragons...

evenflow
06-25-2002, 05:51 PM
I think that Hasbro bodies suck. They should redo them and start using bodies like Dragon.

derek
06-25-2002, 11:54 PM
hey darth cruel,

did you get the fireman with just the "fireman pants" and a T-shirt ? if so, i think that figure has 21st centuries old body.

the british soldier the cop(the one with long sleeves) and the bald german all have the new body. be careful, cause the old body sucks compaired to their new one.

as for removing hands, i'd recommend boiling water as opposed to a hair dryer or just "hot water". those hands will break at the wrist hinge if they are not heated up enough. about 1 minute in boiling water will work. and it does not hurt to heat up the doner arm a little also.

the clone trooper head will come off, with a slight tug. you can make it into a real helmet, like laserbrain suggested, or you can just cut along the bottom of the "neck" along the visible seam where it begins to "round off". make sure you have a clean straight cut and it will fit snugly on the 21st century neck post.:)

cut it like in the photo and it will fit on the 21st century neck post:

humsup
06-26-2002, 05:26 AM
I've almost swapped all my 12" SW into various types of bodies that includes 21st Century old type, 21st Century Super Soldier (as mentioned, its a tad taller), Hot Toys bodies (like the 21st SS Body), SOTW bodies, Dragon bodies (one and only for Boba Fett) and finally, good ol' Joe's body - the one used in Jango. All fits well. But I have a gripe at these 12" SW hands... they have short fingers and it looks chunky. Now that Hasbro has put a step forward with Jango's body, its about time to improve their sculpt on the hands. Bendy fingers will be much appreciated isn't it :)

JediTricks
06-26-2002, 05:43 AM
derek, thanks for the info on that. When I heard Jaks Pacific was looking to buy 21CT, it broke my heart because I don't think too highly of Jaks. I'm sorry to hear 21CT is having financial troubles though, I heard they had some corporate espionage problems a year and a half ago that really hurt them.

Laserbrain
06-26-2002, 03:18 PM
Well...that's Hasbro for ya....

IG65
07-02-2002, 05:19 PM
I have been collecting Star Wars 12" figures for quite some time, and I am getting very interested in customizing. Can any of you recommend a place to get 21st Century Super Soldier bodies and/or some of the other ones mentioned here to replace the Hasbro ones?

Laserbrain
07-02-2002, 07:52 PM
IG65, go to TRU and look for the carded Ultimate Soldier bald German officer, British commando or America's Finest police officer with long sleves. Steer clear of the firemen cuz 21C cleared out some of their old bodies with those.

For $10 they're perfect for an upgrade...

Just a warning though...you may get addicted...it all starts with a carded figure...then a boxed figure...then a couple uniforms...then by the time you get a Dragon from an online dealer....you're doomed...

IG65
07-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the advice Laserbrain. I'm afraid your warning came too late. Just listening to you guys discuss customizing has already pushed my interest beyond the point of no return.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to a page I found that shows size comparisons of about 20 different body styles: http://members.tripod.com/cd_goff/male-bod.htm

N-2PF
07-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Body style No. 8 "Hasbro (Star Wars)" is not a Hasbro Star Wars body.

derek
07-04-2002, 09:01 AM
N-2PF,

i was looking at that one too, and i was perplexed because my lando didn't come with that body.:) and actually it would be wrong for them to label one kenner/hasbro body as a "star wars" body, because they have used at least 4 different bodys for their figures.:)

JediTricks
07-06-2002, 05:17 AM
I'm not even sure Body #8 there is a Hasbro product at all. The materials, the articulation, it all looks different from Hasbro.

Bent Wookie
07-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Hey, what do you guys think of the Sideshow body? I have a couple of the figures and they pose really well. The first ones had some QC issues with loose legs and all, but the new ones are much tighter from what I've heard. I haven't tried switching outfits yet, as I'm just getting into the 1/6 scale and to be honest a lot of my 12" SW figures have been in storage in their boxes. But now that I'm getting interested in customizing, I'm thinking of doing some body switching.

I don't like the thinner arms on a lot of the bodies. I like my figures beefy! :D But I do want the extra movement. Any certain body you'd recommend with larger arms for a budding customizer?

derek
07-07-2002, 07:25 PM
sideshow has a good body, but you may have trouble getting the head off the figure. sideshow uses what appears to be resin cast heads, as opposed to the vinyl heads every other company uses.

as for bodies, hasbro has some GI Joe figures who have muscular arms. most of them out now have the "cobra" or "joe" tatoo on the left shoulder, but if you are doing star wars body swaps, that won't show.:)

here is a pic compairing the standard hasbro arm to the muscle arm:

Bent Wookie
07-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Yeah, that's much better!

Hmm...only thing is it looks like I'll have to sacrifice the abs joint. Does the new Super Joe body have this joint? I definately like the arms better on the figure on the right in that picture than any of the other bodies I've seen so far. Will I be sacrificing a lot of articulation to get those thicker arms?

Hey, I did some checking and it looks like Sideshow is coming out with an artists body (probably the same body only no clothes). It's supposed to be for anatomy majors, but it might be great for customizing! I hope the head is removable! Of course, I still think the arms are a little thin, but to each their own...have a look see...

Sideshow artist model (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=art_buck&item=1201R&type=store#)

JediTricks
07-07-2002, 09:24 PM
"vinyl". ;)

I prefer the less-beefy arms and thighs. I hate having to change a figure's outfit while customizing only to find the donor body's thighs are too large for the costume.

Bent Wookie
07-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Just thought I'd throw a little question out to you guys. Which body do you prefer for your customs and why? It seems a lot of people prefer the Dragon bodies, but those are a little on the expensive side. 21st Century used to be the favorite, but now with the drop in their QC and the introduction of the Super Joe body, the line's gotten a little more fuzzy. So which do you prefer?

Also, would 12" generic Joe bodies (the basic grunt in the box) be a much better base than the current SW body (I don't know how much they've improved them since the very first ones)? I found these on clearance recently, and thought I might pick up a few. I'm not really crazy about the thinner arms, but if it means more posability, then so be it. It'll be a cheap upgrade. But how effective?

So what do you think?

Bent Wookie
07-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Well it seems this post wasn't customs forum worthy. :) Anyone who's already answered this question from this forum, I'm not trying to irritate. I thought I'd ask some of the other customizers at the other forum and see what kind of feedback I got, but here we are again. Just getting a thread going with lots of suggestions for 1/6 customs. That way anyone with a question can just look here.

And I'd still like to know if the old Hall of Fame Cobra Commander suit will fit on the new Cobra Commander 12" for those who collect in other lines. I hate the blue arms.

Ok, let's hear some ideas! :)

derek
07-11-2002, 03:14 PM
check the threads regarding "bodies" and "heads" in this forum for more info, including photos.

as for what kind of body i use, it really depends on how the neck is attached to the figure. if it has a long neck, like episode 2 anakin, a 21st century body is best used. if it has a short neck like jango fett, a hasbro body is best.

as for those GI Joe boxed "grunts" on clearance for $5, they have the same body as the new jango fett. 21st century sells their carded figures for about $10, which is a pretty good deal. hasbro used to do this, but since the release of their super joe body, they have added a few crappy acessories and jacked the price up to $15-18, depending on where you get them.(i suggest target for the best price on carded super joe's)

as for the thin arms, you really won't be able to tell when the figure is dressed.

Bent Wookie
07-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Thanks Derek! :)

As for the Super Joes, all these body types are starting to confuse me. Is the Super Joe body the one with the jointed fingers or is this the newest one with the "bendy fingers"? Cause if is the jointed finger Joe, Target just clearanced these to about $10 each. A good time to grab them (if there's any left)! I've been tempted to pick up one of the 21st century figures to see what all the hype has been about, but I just can't get past those ugly heads they use! Of course I know it's just the body I'm buying it for, but the heads are just...ugh imo! I don't know if it's something about the plastic they use, but it doesn't look good! Looks like a cheap knock off! :( Am I alone in this feeling?

derek
07-11-2002, 06:29 PM
hasbro has used the jointed, or hinged fingers on both their body styles. the only way you will know for sure if it's a super joe is by looking at the elbow(the old joe body has a pin thru the elbow), or if it says it on the package.

super joe's for $10, yea that's good. but most of those guys have long sleeves, so it will be hard to tell if it's the super body.
hasbro has a green beret or ranger S.A.W. gunner with the super body.

the 21st century body is pretty good. just make sure if you buy a carded figure, it's not the cop with short sleeves or the fireman. those have their old body.:) and don't worry about the head, you'll be taking it off and putting a star wars head on there.:)

IG65
02-06-2003, 05:16 PM
I'm looking for female bodies to swap for Star Wars females. TRU by me has four different 21st century 12" female sets on sale:

America's Finest CHP Officer and EMT
America's Finest EMT
Ultimate Soldier WAAC
Villians Jacqueline

Do all these sets have the same body, or are some better than others? The CHP Officer and EMT set is the best value at $10 for both a male and female figure.

Any thoughts? Thanks :)

derek
02-06-2003, 05:42 PM
those 21st century female bodies won't work for hasbro's female figures. the neck on the 21st female is shaped in such a manner that you would have to do some major alterations to get a female hasbro head on there.

i've had my best luck with hasbro's GI Jane figure and toy biz's LOTR female body. the hasbro jane body is hard to find though. kb toys is blowing out the LOTR 12" figures. you should be able to find arwen, gladriel or eowin for $12 each. ($30 regular price)

you may be able to find the hasbro jane body at some of the KB liquidator stores, or at some toys 'r us stores that don't sell much merchandise.

IG65
02-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by derek
i've had my best luck with hasbro's GI Jane figure and toy biz's LOTR female body. the hasbro jane body is hard to find though. kb toys is blowing out the LOTR 12" figures. you should be able to find arwen, gladriel or eowin for $12 each. ($30 regular price)

Thanks for your insight derek. I guess I'll have to gear up for a trip to the KB at Mall of America (always an epic adventure in itself) :D

derek
02-06-2003, 05:58 PM
no problem. just look those LOTR figures over well. i got one yesterday with 2 left hands.

....and if you use the jane body, you'll have to glue the head on.

JediTricks
02-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Just wanted to add that Villians Jacqueline has a crappy open-posed left hand and no extra "normal" hand to replace it.