PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here like pro wrestling?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Fake or not, IMO its fun to watch!

Beast
06-22-2002, 12:05 AM
I used to watch it alot, until WWF bought out WCW, destroyed it, fired almost all of the good wrestlers, and ran into the ground the ones that did transfer over. All my favorite wrestlers are pretty much out of a job thanks to WWF. I have never liked modern WWF, never will like modern WWF, and won't watch the stupid dreck that passes for their storylines. :rolleyes: :p

Oh, check this thread: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5273

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Obi-Don
06-22-2002, 04:51 AM
I used to watch WCW all the time and WWF[WWE now] sometimes. I think I'm loosing my interest in most of it. The stories are getting really bad and way to far out there.

QLD
06-22-2002, 12:41 PM
Growing up as a kid, I watched the WWWF, WWF, NWA, Mid-South, Mid-Atlantic, Florida, Georgia Championship Wrestling, WCCW, AWA, Memphis, UWF and others.

I was always a bigger fan of the NWA which later merged into WCW. I still like the WWF but preferred the more, well, "realistic" nature of the the NWA/WCW.

However, after the nWo angle died down, WCW sank, and sank, and sank, and became some of the worst wrestling in recent memory.

I miss some of the WCW wrestlers, but not many. Most are over the hill, and out to not be wrestling at all. The WCW wrestlers I do miss are some of the more obscure ones like the luchadores.

Psychosis, La Parka, Ultimo Dragon.

But guys like Luger, Sting, Macho Man, who were great in their time, and I loved them, are way past their prime.

Other guys like Goldberg, well, I don't think they had much talent to begin with and I don't want to see him at all.

Scott Steiner is good, but has had many injuries which have kept the WWF from signing him, though rumors suggest he is singing soon now that his health is finally clear.

Since the WWF bought WCW, some have been buried, some have benefitted.

Hurricane (formerly Sugar Shane Helms) has done wonders for his career.

Booker T is doing rather well, even though he isn't a champion, he is very entertaining and doing rather well.

DDP, well, he got ruined in his debut angle and was starting to recover when his back gave out on him. He is retired now.

Buff Bagwell had such a bad and arrogant attitude that he was fired 2 weeks after debuting with the WWF.

Chuck Palumbo is doing very well in his tag team, and is bigger now than he ever was.

Rey Mysterio Jr. just signed with the WWF, and will debut very shortly (with mask I hope)

Chavo Guerrero Jr is getting a lot more exposure after the success of Tough Enough 2

Stacy Keibler and Torri Wilson are already 2 of their most popular female stars.

Hugh Morris has been buried, but I never thought much of him anyway. He is still getting paid though.

Kidman is just as boring now as he was then.

Nash is pretty much just sitting around doing nothing, but the nWo has gotten a tad more interesting lately. He had bicep surgery and is almost recovered.

Guys like Shane Douglass, Brett Hart, and Jeff Jarrett never really had a shot at getting back to the WWF because of the way they left the company before. Though Brett got a career ending head injury from Goldberg (yet another reason to hate him).

Let's not forget some of the guys who left WCW not long before it folded who are enjoying success right now in the WWE as well.
Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Jericho, and Big Show.

A lot of the younger guys who were in WCW at the time are now in WWF's "minor league" federation, Ohio Valley Wrestling. They train people there, as well as have people returning from injury work off ring rust there.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am a big fan of wrestling. The WWF's storylines have been pretty bad lately. But, they have acknowledged that and have pledged to get better. And they are already showing slight signs of imporvement. I thin Austin quitting suddenly hurts in the immediate short term, but helps in the long term, and should give guys like Angle, RVD, Jericho, Booker T, and more, a chance to shine.

Rogue II
06-22-2002, 09:15 PM
I used to watch it when I was a kid. I remeber Hulk Hogan in the early 80s. I see it every once in a while now, but I don't really understand all of the "storylines," why is Hulk Hogan and Rick Flair are still wrestling, and why 75% of the show is drama and only 25% of the show are actual matches.

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2002, 09:58 PM
I've been a wrestling fan all my life. I remember when I had to see wrestling every week, no matter what I was doing or where I was. Now due to the bad ratings and poor storylines, I can miss it and not think twice about it.
As far as my favorite wrestlers, HHH has always been my favorite. Before he made it big I always rooted for Ric Flair because he is a native North Carolinean and he was great.
Speaking of the Hurricane, he lives right down the road from here in a small town called Smithfield. A friend of mine from church is a lifelong friend of his. So about 2 weeks ago me, him, and Shane (Hurricane) went to a movie. He really is a nice guy and is very laid back. He was really cool to me because I didnt treat him like a celebrity; however we were in the mall and a group of fans hoarded around him and he really got mad. I imagine its hard to be a celebrity sometimes.
Anyways, he actually had his Cruiserweight title belt in his car. We went out to the parking lot of the mall and my buddy got a pic of me holding his belt with the Hurricane. It was so cool. Once I get that pic I will post it here so you all can see it.
PS-Hopefully "The Game" HHH can pull out a win tomorrow night against the Undertaker for the Undisputed Title!!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-22-2002, 11:46 PM
It's fun to reminisce about the old days of WWF. I remember back in the day I cowered in fear everytime Undertaker appeared on TV- then again I was only 5. You'd be freaked out too if you saw one of your favorite wrestlers put in a body bag. I praised the likes of Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Bret Hart, Owen Hart (RIP), 123 Kid, and even Yokozna. I still remember when Macho Man proposed to miss Olivia. But then I lost interest in wrestling when WWF switched to cable in the mid 90's. I was cable deprived for 10 years. :( It wasn't until WWF came back to broadcast TV with Smackdown, that I regained interest. But then again it had this new "attitude" thing to it. So I watched it from time to time, being unfamiliar with a lot of wrestlers. It wasn't until I started High School that I became drawn back to WWF. I made a new friend and he told me what was going on and I got hooked to it again. This was around the time of the Stone Cold getting hit by the Rock's car storyline. I became exposeded to Rikishi, Y2J, Benoit, Big Show and 123 Kid's new name X-Pac. I got even more hooked around the time of the WCW/ECW Invasion. It wasn't until January 3rd of this year, when I went to my first live WWF show, that I fully welcomed back WWF into my life. YAY! But afterwards ratings start to go down. NO! And then Hogan came back. YAY! But he was evil. NO! And then he became good again. YAY! Then the "company split" took place. NO! But then later on Hogan becomes champion again. YAY! Then he loses it to Undertaker. NO! Yet along the way, WWF becomes WWE. EH? Darn that World Wildlife Fund.

Well that's my story :happy:

QLD
06-23-2002, 07:45 AM
I'd like to see that Hurricane picture. He is by far my favorite wrestler right now, with Kurt Angle and Booker T running right behind him.

In fact, the only wrestling action figure I own is The Hurricane!

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2002, 03:41 PM
I talked to my friend at church today. He said he would email me that pic. As soon as I get it I will post it here, QLD.
But I do have a pic of me with someone you probably know QLD. He isnt a wrestler, but hes pretty popular in your area!!

QLD
06-23-2002, 04:30 PM
Cool pic. I am a big fan of Smoltz myself. He's a cool guy. I look forward to seeing that pic.

QLD
06-23-2002, 04:31 PM
I am about to go watch Judgement Day at the local sports bar. I am looking forward to a few of the matches. I think RVD and Jericho has great potential.

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2002, 04:36 PM
You mean KOR. Hey can you give me an update when you get back about who won the HHH/Undertaker match? Just im me or something if youre planning on getting back online.
Thanks.

QLD
06-23-2002, 10:17 PM
Undertaker won after The Rock got involved in the match. Brock Lesnar won the KOTR tourney. Flair beat Guerrero. Angle made Hogan TAP! Yes, he made Hogan tap!! That was a dream moment for me.

It looks like they are setting up a 4 way match for the next PPV. Lesnar, Rock, Taker, HHH

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2002, 10:24 PM
What exactly happened with the Rock? Did he attack HHH?
That sucks that HHH didnt win!!

QLD
06-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Well, he came down during the match and ran off Paul Heyman who was doing commentary at the time, and talking trash about Rocky.

Then Rock was doing commentary, and Undertaker accidentally kicked him in the face.

Rock started to beat up Taker, and hit him with a chair, but missed, and hit HHH.

After the finish, Rock and Taker fought more with Taker getting a Rock bottom for his efforts. Then HHH gave Rock a Pedigree, who then got a Last Ride by Taker. That ended the show.

There is a full recap of the PPV up at http://www.1wrestling.com

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the info, QLD. Hopefully RAW will shed a little more light on this tomorrow night.