PDA

View Full Version : The Acklay - AND WHY IT BROKE (read on through to learn more!)

Tycho
06-22-2002, 01:39 AM
Nice sculpt work.

But I wish you could pose its head or leave its mouth open like the nexu.

It is Huge! Wow! It is a good sized beast.

but mine has some of its articulation mistakenly glued I think.
I bought 2 to open and use in 2 different scenes obviously.

I'll have to open my second one to see if it's just as stiff.

I'm worried I'll break it. - and only certain legs *with no particular pattern or reason* don't seem to want to allow all the motion they look to be articulated for.

I think this is a great piece, but some things could still be better.

Oh yeah: have you sniffed the Acklay's guts?

What another unique smell I've discovered!

Also, try throwing them onto your window and letting them slowly ooze as they slide down. :D Your neighbors will be impressed! (not necessarily in a positive way though).

Lord Tenebrous
06-22-2002, 01:59 AM
It does look sweet. Granted, I'd repace the gut compartment with a voice box, but it's okay the way it is. :)

And you should supplement these commentaries with pictures. Surprise! :sur: Amusement! :D Inhaled plastic! :eek:

LTBasker
06-22-2002, 02:28 AM
It's grin isn't too goofy looking is it?

Can it support itself ok for standing up?

Tycho
06-22-2002, 03:22 AM
The grin's not goofy looking IMO.

It CAN support itself standing up, but I'm already worried about "for how long?"

Still haven't had time to open the second one, but I've been goofing around on the forums boards for 4 hours tonight.

When I was playing with my Acklay, I was actually creating a scene around it in an Ultarama. (sorry, don't have a digital camera).

The Acklay is pretty big and it BARELY fits in the bottom half of an Ultarama. It's head is touching the ceiling. I got a reek crammed in there for this scene, but am debating how crowded out they look.

The intention was to have Obi-Wan gutting it (he is) and in the foreground, Mace fighting Jango Fett. (they are). I was going to add 3 Jedi to this scene and give them each foes to fight:

Nikto (he's in there)
Eeth Koth (Ki-Adi Mundi E1 is place-holding just because he was loose)
Shaak-Ti (haven't ever opened her yet, but the scene is running out of room)

I have 3 Geonosians and 3 BattleDroids and a Reek for them all to be fighting.

The intent of the scene was to showcase Jango v. Mace and have "things going on in the Arena" around them, including showcasing the beasts. With the Acklay, if I wanted to display its guts, I had to put Obi-Wan back in the scene. (guess I gotta buy one more Coruscant Chase to replace the one I used).

But the Acklay is very large. It takes up quite a lot of the room in there, so either I won't do this scene on an Ultarama, or I'll scale back what I use in it.

But with the beasts, my idea was to use

1 of each in the Arena playset scene.

then 1 scene with the Reek and Nexu both in it

and 1 scene with the Reek and Acklay both in it (after the nexu was put down).

In other words, 3 Reeks and 2 of the other beasties.

Don't know if this is going to work, so I'm testing it. Results forthcoming.

Tycho
06-22-2002, 04:55 AM
OK - it just broke. The rear right leg (or on your left if you are facing it).

I opened my second one and yes it had more FUNCTIONING articulation.

Still, the assembly of the creature does not allow its fin like extremities to act as true "toes" or however you'd describe them. I feel like I'm twisting one back limb just so that the thing is walking on its feet.

But on my first Acklay, either the plastic swivel where it was supposed to rotate in about 180 degrees backward or forward along the length tof the body was either melted together, or painted together so it couldn't move. Since my second one moved, I tried forcing the first one to. It snapped and is either broken, or I lost a part necessary to put the leg back on inside the acklay's rear body (different from where you put the guts).

So I will take it back tomorrow, both of them (to show them the difference) as Wal*Mart can send defective product back to Hasbro and I'll just swap my first one for a new one. (hopefully).

Now it's 2am, and I really don't want to go at 7am tomorrow morning, or at all for that matter. I don't think Ki-Adi Mundi is shipping, but one more advantage of getting to the store to get the figures when they first open is that the return line is real short. It will be the first time I've had to use it though in probably over a year or more!

Oh well. Groan. Thanks Mr. Acklay. 1's good, and one's down for the count! (and not I don't want to do the scene where Obi-Wan cuts its legs off because it's a non-functioning toy that I paid for, and plus, he didn't cut off THAT leg!)

Beast
06-22-2002, 05:05 AM
Ack, Tycho. You are to rough with your toys young man. You need to take better care of your things. I see now why you can't have nice things. :cry: :D

On a serious note, that does suck. I'm glad to hear that the second one was fine. To bad that you picked up a messed up one. Hopefully they still have some in stock, when you go back. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
06-22-2002, 05:30 AM
That's why I have to go at 7am. There's like about 4 left.

Darth Sidious
06-22-2002, 10:27 AM
That really sucks...Hopefully you can find a good one. Lets have a moment of silence for Tycho's broken Acklay... :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-22-2002, 11:39 AM
!!!!!!!!! You found 2 and i can't even find one!!!!! Hopefully i'll find one today...i'll find one today..i'll find one today... (goes off ranting to himself)

Tycho
06-22-2002, 11:57 AM
Well, Wal*Mart has great customer service! I mean that in 50% of my story.

OK, so I've been up all night and still made it to Wal*Mart at 6:45 am to hang out with all the usual cast of characters (read HotWheels guys) that are there every day. Today there were about 9 people outside Wal*Mart waiting for the store to open. And they were a rowdy bunch like they'd been out all night partying and just moved their last keg to lie right outside the door to Lawn N Garden.

Well the employees seemed visibly scared to let this group in. Amongst the 9 of us, I recognize 2 other Star Wars "purchasers." I don't know what they do with their stuff, but one guy's been a dick to me before and the other dude I'm cool with, but my friends say he's a twit.

Well, we get in and the whole group of them rush HotWheels. There were no new ones stocked, so they head over to Star Wars. The last 4 Acklays are on a top shelf and no one's working the toy section. I had to have my friend there hold a shopping cart while I climbed into it, and stood up, while he wheeled me into position to start pitching Acklays from the top shelf like i was dusting large bugs off the rafters. Well, I still say he's cool, because the whole group of them could have taken the Acklays and left me stuck inside a shopping cart without a safe way to escape before a manager asked what the hell I was doing. (those things roll when you're climbing out of them and it's safer if you have somebody holding it still when your getting out so you don't injure your children ages 0 and under). I safely got out of the cart, preserving my healthy future.

I took Mr. Acklay, or is it Ms. Acklay - I still end up with a matched pair so maybe you could help me name them. (Adam and Ashley Acklay? That sounds right.) OK, so I took Ashley Acklay up to the service counter and explained to the lady that I had a rather large bug in my truck and I wanted to bring it in to see if she could help me fix my problem. She asked if I had a receipt. I said I did, and she informed me that she could then fix 'one of my problems.'

So I left Ashley in her care and went outside back to my truck and got, let's call him Amiss Ackaly (pronounced "Amos" Acklay) and brought him in and showed her what happened to him in Hasbro's StarWars Civil War hospital. I showed her how everything else was there and I pulled his guts out and proved it still was fresh and contained all of its original sliminess. She didn't want to feel it though. By this point, I was also opening Ashley's box and freeing her from her twist tie which I think Hasbro's put on her so good just so they can do their part to help parents find time to spend with their small children who don't have access to power tools.

Eventually, I got Ashley's staps undone and freed her from her inhibitions and spread her legs out. She was quite limber and flexible. So I was quite satisfied after I went inside her and rearranged her guts as well. By this time the Wal*Mart employee was quite happy to see me have my transaction taken care of as conveniently quick as possible. So Ashley and I were out of there in record time with no ID check for SW returns.

Right now, she and Adam Acklay are kicking it on my rug getting acquainted and becoming ready to go rummaging through my collection for some Jedi Snacks. It will be feeding time soon.

How's it going for you?

Darth Sidious
06-23-2002, 12:54 AM
Lol Tycho, Ive enjoyed reading your Acklay story. It is quite amusing. I will have to smell those guts too if I ever find the Acklay (Artimus, perhaps?). Ahh...the essence...

JEDIpartner
06-25-2002, 03:11 PM
they look like they would smell like Gummi Grape!

Darth Sidious
06-25-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
they look like they would smell like Gummi Grape!

Hmm...I don't know... They kind of look like they'd smell like bubble gum to me. I know! Gummi grape bubble gum (With a touch of....the essence)! Now I want to get it so I can eat its guts...

SNAYSON
06-25-2002, 10:19 PM
i havn't found one yet, but i'm probaly not looking that hard. THere is a smell to the ackley's guts?

heroclixplayer
06-26-2002, 12:24 AM
Probably those nasty little plastic chemicals, you could potentially get "high" or pass out and SUE Hasbro for 1,000 toys.

Yoda'sMaster
06-26-2002, 12:31 AM
your right its absolutly huge!

Beast
06-26-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by heroclixplayer
Probably those nasty little plastic chemicals, you could potentially get "high" or pass out and SUE Hasbro for 1,000 toys.
You cannot truelly get high or pass out from the smell. And even if you did, you couldn't sue Hasbro for it, because the plastics used meet strict quality control and safety standards. Here is a little quote from everyone's favorite Mouse Droid Sniffer, Tycho on this. It's a quote from this thread - http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5280 :)

Originally posted by Tycho
I got a chance to publically ask Hasbro about sniffing the mouse droid! There was only about 70 people in the room when I got the microphone and got to publically announce this question that has concerned all of us as of late:

Does Hasbro sniff their mouse droids?

Yes they do!

The smell you inhale is that given off by new ABS plastic used in the figures.

It is not toxic because the figures must pass strict quality control and safety standards.

So sniff all you want.

And as this discussion progressed into using all of one's senses to appreciate these figures, the sense of taste came up (more than once, heh-heh-he).

Hasbro strongly discourages you to NOT eat your action figures. Contrary to their awareness of an existing demand out there in the collecting community, for child-safety reasons, Hasbro will also NOT be publishing a Star Wars action figure cookbook, or any kind of listing that would encourage you to eat your action figures.

However, they too remember the ditto papers and how they (and new books) smelled in school, and some of Hasbro's employees have noticed a peculiarly nice smell to the Mouse Droid.

So are you ready boys?

Open them up! - And shove them in! (Your nose, not your mouth - or anywhere else for that matter).

But DO NOT EAT YOUR ACTION FIGURES!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
06-26-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by SNAYSON
THere is a smell to the ackley's guts?

To Tycho, everything has a smell! If you've never thought about it, he has!

I remember back in the day, a freshly opened He-Man figure has a nice aroma to it. Now, Tycho is finding everything has a nice stench:D. Tycho, I think we need to sit down and have a talk about this "habit" of your:D

Tycho
06-26-2002, 02:59 AM
Great! When can we meet? (in a plastics manufacturers?)

Where 'da MOUSE is in 'da House! :D

Beast
06-26-2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Great! When can we meet? (in a plastics manufacturers?)
Where 'da MOUSE is in 'da House! :D
Check out the new pungent thread Tycho. I am sure it's right up your alley. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11027

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Sidious
09-14-2002, 04:30 PM
I know this thread is old, but I need to say thank you to Tycho. You may have kept me from breaking it. If there are any problems like this with the Gunship or anything please post about it? Thanks. I am glad I know what not to do to it now. :)

JEDIpartner
09-14-2002, 06:48 PM
The tail gun from the gunship falls out easily.

Darth Sidious
09-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Ok, thanks, I will be sure to watch out for that when I get it. :)

Jedi Master Silas
09-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Typho I didnt know they had Wal Marts that werent opened 24 hours a day? Interesting.

I didnt have any probs with my Acklay...but the first 2 Reeks I bought wouldnt make a peep.

Darth Sidious
09-15-2002, 07:28 PM
My Acklay has suvived, too. As for your REEKs, it is probably due to little kids playing with them constantly in the stores...They come, they look around, they no buy, why nobody buy??? :D I suggest getting new batteries for them then trying it. Or did you return them? If so, nevermind.

Chiesa
09-16-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by heroclixplayer

LOL... Thats quite funny...

Anyway, wow I passed up the chance to get an Ackley once and I totally regretted my decision that time. Sadly now I can't find another one :( Tycho lucky you managed to replace your first Ackley! Cheers!! OLE!! If I see another 1 or 2... I wouldn't hesitate to get my hands on them!!

Cheers
:crazed: