PDA

View Full Version : Old Skool Hip Hop

scruffziller
06-22-2002, 03:45 PM
Who here grew up on Run DMC, Fat Boys, Biz Markie, UTFO, LL Cool J, Kid N PLay, 3rd Bass, Beastie Boys etc. I miss the old days of Hip Hop but I do really like alot of the new stuff too.

QLD
06-22-2002, 04:31 PM
I did. And I miss a lot of that stuff. Although I never cared much for 3rd Bass or Kid N Play.

I am also not a fan of most new stuff either.

I miss Whodini, Sir Mix A Lot, Public Enemy, Digital Underground, SUgar Hill Gang, Big Daddy Kane, and more.

scruffziller
06-22-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I did. And I miss a lot of that stuff. Although I never cared much for 3rd Bass or Kid N Play.

I am also not a fan of most new stuff either.

I miss Whodini, Sir Mix A Lot, Public Enemy, Digital Underground, SUgar Hill Gang, Big Daddy Kane, and more.
Yea I miss them too, I just didn't have enough time to list all those. 10 years ago I would not have turned an ear to the newer stuff but it has grown on me.

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2002, 11:24 PM
Dont forget one of my personal favorites: Digital Underground. Who could resist buying an album with the name "Sex Packets"?

2-1B
06-23-2002, 03:27 AM
Run-DMC is opening for Aerosmith's summer tour - I can't wait! :happy:

jeddah
06-23-2002, 06:38 AM
What ever happened to Rob Base and DJ-EZ rock? never really hear from them anymore. I'm more into newer rap than the old stuff but De La Soul's 6 feet high & rising deserves an honourable mention as an all time alter-classic.

Also Herby Lovebug did some good stuf with Salt n Pepa before they came mainstream, Doug E Fresh too.

These days I love just about anyting by Timbaland and Dre - I just wish Dre would drop that squawking whiner...

jeddah

187-Maul
06-23-2002, 08:44 AM
well I didn't grew up with it but I still liste a lot of Public Enemy and other old albums like 2pac's first one (2pacalyple) or NWA and stuff

jjreason
06-24-2002, 05:32 AM
Eric B. and Rakim, LL, Big Daddy Kane, PE, Ice T, Too Short, RunDMC....those were the days. Old School is still where it's at. The "newest" thing I really dig is Tribe Called Qwest and they've been dead for like 3 years. Oh well. Hip Hop is still where it's at.

lunchymeatball
06-24-2002, 06:14 AM
Yeah I used to love the rivalry thing between Boogie down productions (KRS 1 etc) and Marley Marl ,Mc Shan, Biz Markee ( although I cant think for the life of me what the crew was called)
South Bronx Vs Queensbridge
Coming from England this stuff was like so cool for us over here
My favorites were;
Schooly D
Big daddy Kane
Africa Bambaata

Aaaah brings back memories of break dancing, God awful graffitti (done by me) and my first set of turntables 15 years ago.
I sold all my records and turntables though and cant stand rap now.