PDA

View Full Version : If I could turn back time

QLD
06-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Here's an interesting question that I thought of while bored at work that I thought I would ask everyone.

If you could go back in time, and change an event that took place, what would it be, why, and how do you think things would be different now?

It doesn't have to be anything monumental, though most probably will be. It can be something serious, something silly, or something personal.

scruffziller
06-22-2002, 08:15 PM
I would make myself get treated for hyperglycemia, then again if I did that I may not know the joy of being a SW fan.

LTBasker
06-22-2002, 08:52 PM
Man, I was just thinking about this.

I would go back to the very first day I logged onto the Kenner website and saved the picture to a disk that they had on there for the (then) upcoming Mon Calamari cruiser for the Collector Fleet. It wasn't a very clear picture, but I haven't seen anyone have it since then. I didn't have many chances to get it either cause the first computer I was on was very, very, very slow, and it was one of the first AOL versions I was using.

Jargo
06-22-2002, 09:06 PM
I would turn back time and make my Mother marry someone else instead of my dad.... oh wait - if i did that i'd cease to exist and just pop out of existen.................

Mandalorian Candidat
06-22-2002, 09:12 PM
I would have not bought these POC TCG cards I just got from TRU. Only two good cards out of 25. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
06-22-2002, 10:05 PM
I definately would have picked different numbers for that $300 Million power ball payout!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-22-2002, 10:18 PM
I would go back to the day that I failed my learner's permit test and pass it. If I had passed, I'd get my beheind the wheel class early, instead of being booked for practically a year to take it.

figrin bran
06-22-2002, 11:01 PM
i would've gone back to 7th or 8th grade and asked that cute blondie girl to a dance.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-22-2002, 11:27 PM
I would have gone back in time to 1968 America. It was a tulmutuous year for our country. The Tet Offensive occured in Vietnam, ending any hopes of us winning the war. Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy, both individuals with ideals, big hopes, and dreams were murdered in cold blood. Riots happened in almost every major city in America, including the infamous Chicago riot during the Democratic Convention. Columbia U students overtook their own college. Anti-war protestors took to the streets and campuses, hippies frolicked in the parks, and the women's movement was in it's infancy. People were listening to Hendrix, the Stones, the Mommas and Papas, Jefferson Airplane, etc. The drug culture hit it's heyday. Not a pleasant time for many, but I would like to go there just to gauge the feeling of America on the brink. To witness history in the making.

DeadEye
06-22-2002, 11:32 PM
I would go back and accept when Natalie Portman asked me out. ;)

Nahh, I could never date a girl 4 years older than me. I would go back to March last year and kick Daniel Best's *** before he told Mindee Sever lies about me.

RAVAZ
06-23-2002, 12:34 AM
If I could turn back time, I would have bought toilet paper instead of the Anakin HD and probablty have the comics to read!

Obi-Don
06-23-2002, 06:20 AM
I would have stayed in the Army and told my 1st wife to hit the road before I married her. Hind sight is always 20/20.

jeddah
06-23-2002, 06:47 AM
Mine are;

1) I would go to Performing Arts School instead of being press-ganged into following the familys academic route. I'm 30 and realised my bad decision this year.
2) September 11th - Evacuate the Towers and a safe perimeter.
3) July 1947 - Camp out in Corona, nr Roswell New Mexico to wait and see what really happened. :)
4) Never started my own business :)

jeddah

DeadEye
06-23-2002, 09:16 AM
Jeddah-

There were no aliens at Roswell. However, aliens are here and very real. I say crop circles are better signs of aliens. Not all of them can be made by hoaxers. The non-hoaxer ones are more complex. And in fact, someone had a time-lapse camera over a wheat field, and saw a flying object moving over the crops and it produced the crop circle. And the film was inspected (if there was some kind of input, tampering, or effects put in it would be between the frames) and it was clean.
Some of the signs actually produced a language. 40 of the world's most talented linguists found what it was derived from a long-dead tongue, and the crop circles said something like, "Aporro Astos" which meant "We are opposed to cunning and deceit." No hoaxer could come up with that.
How dang scary is that? :eek:

jeddah
06-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Hi Deadeye,

Thanks for your words. I'd still like to go back and find out tho' ;)

It may be of some interest to note that up until 2 years ago I was Group Co-ordinator for the South Coasts Dorset Agriglyph Research Team (D.A.R.T) and had been involved in crop circle surveys and research since the early nineties. I quit because it was clear that the vast majority - particularly the complex ones - were clearly hoaxed.

The global epicentre of the crop circle phenomena is in Wiltshire, which is just up the road from me. I spent about 12 Sundays per Summer up in the fields visiting new formations, interviewing the landowner or farmer, and any 'witnesses'. Unfortunately, the 'phenomena has now become so popular a topic in the UKs' "Silly Season" that it is fuelled by money these days more than genuine phenomena. I know Jon Lundberg, Rod Dickinson and many other hoaxing teams and their skill at creating these formations is considerable.

However one thing about the Salisbury Plain region is the 'high strangeness' or 'Oz factor'. There are many inexplicable phenomena such as BoLs, UFOs and such, and I have myself 'lost' 2 hours in a crop formation that I know to be hoaxed. It may be that ET intelligence finds these things as intriguing as we do, rather than creating them.

From the examples you cite, they seem to be ones based in Wiltshire and I would advise you take them with a pinch of salt. There has been so much spin on the formations that it is becoming overrun with urban mythos - or should I say 'rural'. :) As far as the craft hovering over the formation, I guess you are referring to the Oliver Castle footage hoaxed by John Wabey/Wabeleigh. Unfortunately the tape does not stand up to scrutiny. There are plenty other examples of 'genuine' footage of Bols and UFOs, just none actually creating anything.

Having said all the above, I will happily concur that there is definite ETI and UFO presence, some of which are structured ET craft, I think the circles, however, are *probably* all hoaxed.

jeddah

DeadEye
06-23-2002, 02:00 PM
I doubt they're all hoaxed. How could there be so many of these guys? The circles are all over the place. Hoaxers wouldn't know languages that had been dead for thousands of years. And how do you explain the object that flew over the fields and created a crop circle? The footage hadn't been tampered with, and no people were seen in the field over the night.

I don't mean to disappoint you but if you ask me, Roswell has less alien activity than the circles. The Air Force had a strange habit of conducting all sorts of wicked little experiments there. The "aliens" were in fact usually crash dummies, and the diminutive ones--the size of Grays--were in fact primates in pressure suits. The strange materials were parts of secret surveillance equipment, NOT weather balloons--and the strange writing found on the equipment was no alien language, but merely a design that happened to be on the tape they used to assemble the device. :p

jeddah
06-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi again, Deadeye,

Originally posted by DeadEye
I doubt they're all hoaxed. How could there be so many of these guys?

Unfortunately, that has been the main cry of the pro-phenomenon camp. Sadly, it's not as simple a case of saying they must be real because I can't imagine people being able to do that.....and believe me, there really are "so many of these guys." Perhaps to help you understand how easy it is to mistake scale or complexity for a real phenomena, check out land art. Have you not seen the complex kilometre-long pictures carved into scrub land in Australia by combines?

Hoaxers wouldn't know languages that had been dead for thousands of years. And how do you explain the object that flew over the fields and created a crop circle?

Like I said, you've been a victim of urban myth. There was no such 'language' discovered - although I'll of course defer to some proof you may be able to submit ;). Do you think it would not have been all over the crop circle commuity if it were true let alone the News? I have also already explained about the object flying over the field as being proven to be a hoax. For a complete synopsis of the story and an analysis look here (http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/Sorensen/articles/sorensen.html)

The footage hadn't been tampered with, and no people were seen in the field over the night.

see above.

I don't mean to disappoint you

Let me clear this up, just so we're on the same page...I am not a pro-Roswell alien cover up, I would like to know what happened. I would not be "disappointed" if a mundane explanation was available for every sighting of a UFO ever reported. My wish to be there at the time of the 'incident' was borne out of interest and intrique rather than being a card carrying consiparcy theorist :happy:

....Roswell has less alien activity than the circles. The Air Force had a strange habit of conducting all sorts of wicked little experiments there. The "aliens" were in fact usually crash dummies, and the diminutive ones--the size of Grays--were in fact primates in pressure suits. The strange materials were parts of secret surveillance equipment, NOT weather balloons--and the strange writing found on the equipment was no alien language, but merely a design that happened to be on the tape they used to assemble the device. :p

yes, yes, yes, and the monkeys looked like greys because their faces had been melted off.....:rolleyes: I Can't disagree with you on Roswell being quiet on the UFO front.:zzz: However, regardless of the proximity to White Sands and the secret test grounds you mention, I couldn't possibly accept any explanation that has now been given for the incident (for or against) as there has been so much disinformation and misinformation spread that the waters have been completely muddied. It would be nigh on impossible to separate truth from fiction without actually being there yourself...hence my wish.....is it making sense now? :p

In a previous season with the Foot and Mouth scare, large parts of the British countryside were cordonned off with a huge fine in place for anyone crossing the line. Coincidentally, this period saw a paucity in crop formations until the ban was lifted. This year, we have had appalling weather and there have been 1 formation in April, 2 in May and 6 in June. Normally these figures would be much higher. Or perhaps ETs don't like rain either :D.

I would concede that there some aerial phenomena has been noticed around new formations but these feature a bright white light 'tube' of substantial size 'beamed' into a field and then 'switched' off - but this does not prove anything :(

As I said earlier, I was involved in Crop circle 'research' for a long time. I have been in over 300 formations, involved in countless skywatches and over-night field surveillance, one in 1998 lasting one week. I guess I feel I have a bit of authority on this subject seeing as I have so much hands-on experience. Plus, I was a 'believer' when I first got involved and I am not one to delude myself.....

Anyway, it's nice to talk to you about this, you're the only one that has ever engaged me in this kind of discussion - and I'm always rambling on about UFOs :)

jeddah

DeadEye
06-23-2002, 05:30 PM
Well, it's cool to see someone else that's interested in this.

bigbarada
06-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Maybe you should go with her to Roswell 1947, DeadEye, so you can settle this once and for all.:p Actually I live 20 minutes from Roswell, and I can tell you that the people there take the UFO thing very seriously. I once talked to a retired Air Force test pilot who claimed to have actually flown a repaired UFO from one of the crash sites......... Yeah, I know :crazed: but who really knows what is out there?

Anyways, I wouldn't go back and change anything from my past since it all adds up to the person I am now, and I like the person I am now. However, I would like to go back on a fact finding mission to many events in the past, just to get the "real story" behind many historical events. For instance, I would love to see the Roman Empire in it's heyday, see what an average day was like during the Middle Ages, what the Vikings were really like (not the European propoganda), feel what it must have been like in the 11th century in Hungary when the Mongols arrived, seen what a bastard Christopher Columbus really was, be there when Eric the Red arrived in Cape Cod centuries before Columbus. Stuff like that.

DeadEye
06-23-2002, 08:01 PM
Some of that's already known. Columbus WAS a bastard; and as for the Vikings, most of them were farmers and only 1 in 100 wore a horned helmet.

bigbarada
06-23-2002, 11:40 PM
Well, a Viking and a Scandinavian were not necessarily the same thing. All Vikings were Scandinavian, but not all Scandinavians were Vikings. "Vikings," or "viks," was the name given to the raiders by their victims, if I remember correctly.

It's not a matter of knowing that it happened, it's a matter of just seeing it. I know the Titanic sunk, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be intriguing to be there to witness it happen.

Exhaust Port
06-24-2002, 12:16 AM
Speaking of the paranoid, what about those "Chemtrails" being placed in the skies over America by secret government aircraft. The local paper actually wasted the front page devoting it to this topic here a few months ago. Looking at the websites devoted to Chemtrails is very unnerving. They've continually asked for the gov't to admit to spraying us with chemicals from aircraft.

They were quoted in our paper with the popular self-fullfilling prophecy: You have 2 choices: 1. You admit our theory is right. -or- 2. By denying our theory you prove that there is cover-up. You're damned if you agree and your damned if you don't. How can you argue with logic like that?

LTBasker
06-24-2002, 12:20 AM
One time I looked up through binoculars towards a small cluster of stars and saw a red flashing light...that stayed in one spot. :Paranoid:

One thing that would be interesting to do, would be to go back 9 months before the "birth of Jesus" to see what REALLY happened. :D

DeadEye
06-24-2002, 10:41 AM
Maybe she drank some midichlorians. :happy:

Exhaust Port
06-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
One time I looked up through binoculars towards a small cluster of stars and saw a red flashing light...that stayed in one spot. :Paranoid:

Could be a satellite in geostationary orbit that's reflecting the sun's light as it spins. Depending on the satellites surface the color of reflected light can vary.

SWAFMAN
06-24-2002, 11:54 AM
if I could turn back time, I'd prevent the horrible bus accident in Texas on I-20 that I'm seeing right now on FOX News. That's the closest I've come to crying in years. It was all the more personal to me, as my kids are on a bus just like that one today, on their way home from their church summer camp. This is just terrrible.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

JEDIpartner
06-24-2002, 12:51 PM
I saw the title of this thread and prayed that it wasn't a "Cher" thread. :p

There isn't really anything that I would go back to fix. I see a purpose in the intended outcome of everything. All events contain the seeds for personal revelations.

DeadEye
06-24-2002, 03:28 PM
I think our minds must be linked together or something!

Next thing you know, we'll be guessing the same numbers! :D

jeddah
06-24-2002, 03:53 PM
...when you are on a UFO watch :mad:

The problem with them is that they pop out of Earth Shadow rather than on the horizon and this gives them a strange characteristic that makes most unfamiliar go "wow!". Add to this the fact that we're seeing them travel, looking through the atmosphere (from our perspective) and this makes them glow brighter the lower their declination.:frus:

NORAD used to have a cool java applet that you could run and then print that tells you exactly what is coming over at what time. just key in your exact location co-ordinates and date (or range thereof) and you get an easy to understand table with nams, where and when :cool: It's fun to see the ISS and was fun to see MIR.:cry: It;s an invaluable tool for skywatchers. I've tried to get to the space links on NORAD's website but I keep getting crashed out - otherwise I'd post the link.

Hey, Big B (or anyone) I thought NORAD had changed names to NRAD these days...?

jeddah

Jargo
06-24-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Some of that's already known. Columbus WAS a bastard; and as for the Vikings, most of them were farmers and only 1 in 100 wore a horned helmet.

I happen to be of 'Viking' descent, wel partly. But I have plenty of 'Viking' blood in me and I have no desire to grow a beard or pick up an axe or wear a horned helmet or go raping and pillaging. What I do possibly have that is inherited from my forefathers is an inate sense of art. In nature and in everything I gaze upon I see the form and the function. And rather than do as my forefather's did and worship strange deities, I worship what I see for what is is - a sight to behold. That's what 'Vikings' were about, celebrating life and the living world and then a bloody good death and a ride to the great feast hall of the gods - Valhalla.
Where I live it was one of the major Viking settlements of the 11th century here in Britain. The place is littered with mounds and circles of rocks and strange markings on the ground...... hey, waitaminute! spooky. maybe the crop circles are the spirits of the warriors coming back to offer thanks to the gods for safe passage to Valhalla or something........

How can anyone take the whole Roswell thing seriously after the X-files lampooned the whole phenomenon. If there were alien lifeforms on earth it's a sure bet that the scientists of the time would have dissected them and pickled them. That was the trend at the time i believe - shoot first ask questions later. frankly i'm not really interested in alien life. looking at the planets from space like the voyager probes did I see nothing but barren wastes of planets in our solar system. Anything that came from there would be seriously dull. I want the aliens you see in B movies that like to party and are ready to rumble. The fun kind. sadly I can't see that happening somehow. Maybe though, maybe they walk among us.......... :crazed:

LTBasker
06-26-2002, 03:22 AM
I'm suprised no one mentioned this.

I would go back to Rick McCallum's childhood and give him a CLEAN Dictionary. :happy:

stillakid
06-26-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker

One thing that would be interesting to do, would be to go back 9 months before the "birth of Jesus" to see what REALLY happened. :D

I'd go one step further. I want to see "Adam and Eve" and the "Flood". :rolleyes: Maybe I could kill the "snake" and "save" us all from eternal sin. :D

anarky
06-26-2002, 01:36 PM
just six things:

1 i'd kidnap britney spears as an infant and strand her in the yukon where she'll be raised by wolverines--or die of frostbite--either's fine by me

2 i'd watch howard the duck 4,876,229 times on the big screen, thus making it a huge blockbuster and paving the way for two sequels and three prequels

3 i'd somehow work myself into the crowd at the kennedy motorcade back in 1963 and moon the camera, rendering the footage unusable for network television

4 i'd tape the entire run of it's garry shandling's show--god, I miss that theme song!

5 i'd go back to 1976 and convince george lucas that the "green alien" should shoot first, thus sparing myself the pain of hearing fanboys complain incessantly about it twenty years later

6 i'd convince the translators of the king james bible to use the phrase "doggy dogg dogg" much more often