PDA

View Full Version : So what do you freaks jam out to musically?

RAVAZ
06-23-2002, 12:41 AM
I'm an old school rock n roller. Although I listen and enjoy practically anything. I'm a huge fan of KISS.

Jargo
06-23-2002, 10:10 AM
Nancy Sinatra, Doris Day, Burt Bacharach, The carpenters, Engelbert Humperdink, Liberace, And many mant more wonderful musical treasures.......

Dooku Fett
06-23-2002, 01:06 PM
I like (in order)
1.AC/DC
2.Buckcherry
3.Megadeth
4.Rammstein
5.Metallica
And some of the new age stuff.

JediDan
06-23-2002, 02:25 PM
Anything classical. Nothing like classical music to wind me down after a long days work. I like rock N roll too but not as much as classical.

figrin bran
06-23-2002, 05:34 PM
radiohead, blur, godspeed you black emperor!, sigur ros, mogwai, pj harvey, my bloody valentine, pavement, neutral milk hotel, elliott smith, mercury rev, rem, grandaddy, wilco, tori amos, stereolab, the white stripes, bjork, the smiths, Bach, Vivaldi.

and i also jam out on my fender strat :D

Jargo
06-23-2002, 06:43 PM
Sorry, being ironic in that last post while i figured out the slant of this thread. 'Jam out' confused me. Must be past my sell by date or something cuz i sure as hell don't understand the slang these days. You kids and your MTV generation..... :rolleyes:

Seriously listened to stuff would be:
St. Etienne
Alison Moyet
Ambient trance mixes
Blur
Nick Drake
Travis
Skunk Anansie
Annie lennox
Dreadzone
Ocean Colour scene
stereolab
Clearlake
Radiohead (a little, at times)
Corner shop

And much much more. Usually the quieter end of music, or the more emotive end. I occasionally listen to Chopin's nocturnes for some classy piano tinkling, or if I'm down I'll get maudlin with Faure's requium. Gloomy music is best when you're down to help you realise how glum you're being so you lift yourself out of it. Then it's best to really wig out to something loud and brash.

Oh, and I do like Burt bacharach stuff, just not sung by the man himself. he sounds like someone's strangling him when he sings.
Quite like a blast of Shirley bassey on occasion. Bold and brassy. Or perhaps a chunk of louis Armstrong. My musical tastes are fairly wide and varied. It really depends on the mood I'm in at the time. The only musical instrument I have is my voice.

figrin bran
06-23-2002, 10:14 PM
that's much better Emperor Jargo but only a "little" radiohead? tsk, tsk...

after reading your list i think will put st. etienne's good humour and blur's 13 into the disc player :D

Exhaust Port
06-24-2002, 12:39 AM
Recently

Air: Moon Safari
Alice in Chains: Jar of Flies/Sap
Black Sabbath: Ozzy only
Metallica: Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets/Kill'em All
Morcheeba: Big Calm
Pantera: Cowboys from Hell
Pink Floyd: Animals/The Wall
ProPain: The Truth Hurts
Rush: Power Windows/Hold Your Fire
Soulfly: Soulfly

What I won't listen to:

Anything with Fred Durst or Dave Mustaine
Any band who's name is a misspelled word (ie Korn)
Any band whose first album contains more than one "Special Guest."
Any band who quotes bands with less than a 5 year history as a "major influence."
Any band who constantly compares themselves to the giants of music (ie Our band is a cross between Led Zepplin and the Rolling Stones with a touch of the Beatles).
Any band who proclaims their only recently begun career to be greater than the giants of the music (ie. Oasis will be bigger than the Beatles and Bush will be bigger than Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin).
Chances are if your band is interviewed by Carson Daily we won't be hearing from you in 2 years and I don't want to hear from you now, sorry.
Kkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddddd Rrrrrooooooooooockkkkkkk.

MikeAndTheBots
06-24-2002, 01:18 AM
(in no order)
1. Nirvana
2. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
3. Sonic Youth
4. Foo Fighters
5. Smashing Pumpkins

There are others but I don't like them as much...

LTBasker
06-24-2002, 01:33 AM
Nickelback
The Foo Fighters
Goo Goo Dolls
Everclear
SUM 41
Papa Roach
Several others that I can't think of.

lunchymeatball
06-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Tool
Type O Negative
Warrior Soul
The God Machine
BT
Leftfield
Faithless
Marilyn Manson
NIN
D.J's;
Sahsa
John Digweed
Dave Seamen
Nick Warren
Oakenfold

Jonna
06-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Electro-Synthpop like VNV Nation, Covenant, Apoptygma Berzerk, And One, Syntec, Wolfsheim, Beborn Beton, etc.

New Wave like The Cure, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, New Order, Ah-Ha, Duran Duran, Anything Box, etc.

Industrial Dance like Front 242, Lords of Acid, Thrill Kill Kult, etc.

Old Punk like The Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Misfits, Buzzcocks, etc.

Gothic like Bauhaus, Christian Death, Shadow Project, The Wake, Sex Gang Children, etc.

Brit Pop like Suade, Pulp, etc.

Various Classical as well as bands like Pink Floyd, Garbage, Radiohead, Rob Zombie, The Sundays, Peter Murphy, The Only Ones, etc.

I think that covers the board.....:D

187-Maul
06-24-2002, 10:59 AM
I feel a bit out of the picture but here's my list:

Cypress Hill
Tupac Shakur
Wu-Tang Clan
Nas
Ja Rule
DMX
Eminem
Samy Deluxe (german)

and much more...

Darth Shifty
06-24-2002, 10:59 AM
I'll pretty much listen to anything but country.

Boba Fitt
06-24-2002, 02:51 PM
Def Leppard.
Queensryche.
Savatage.
Fates Warning.
Tesla.

RAVAZ
06-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Quite a variety of musical tastes! Awesome! And all this time I thought you guys were anal retentive collectors. PUH! You guys are alright. :)

Dooku Fett
06-24-2002, 04:24 PM
Anything with Fred Durst or Dave Mustaine
What's wrong with Mustaine? He's a great guy and is a very talented musician. Speaking of Megadeth, Blood of Heroes is playing in my Winamp :)

Dooku Fett
06-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Any band who's name is a misspelled word (ie Korn)
So if I had a band that played music that you liked you wouldn't listen to it if I called it "Dedly"?

Any band who quotes bands with less than a 5 year history as a "major influence."
What's wrong with a band having a favorite band?

Exhaust Port
06-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Dooku Fett
What's wrong with Mustaine? He's a great guy and is a very talented musician

I'll admit that he's a talented musician but I can't stand his voice for one thing. He's also comes across as a bit pompous about his role in creating metal. Dave seems to think that only Megadeth and Metallica created the heavy metal that we know today. As much of a fan I am of Metallica they are not responsible for the music that followed. They were part of it but by no means the sole creators. What about Slayer?

In personal interviews, written interviews and in concerts he's more worried about bad mouthing other bands (especially Pantera) and that they only exist because of what he did in the early 80's. Enough Dave, stop trying to toot your own horn. I saw them in concert once and both the opening bands blew them off the stage. Pantera and White Zombie put on a damn fine show. Dave spent most of his time in a verbal fight with some guy in the pit over the fact that he was wearing a hat/shirt of a band other than Megadeth. I left after the first 40 minutes of that.

So if I had a band that played music that you liked you wouldn't listen to it if I called it "Dedly"?

I'm sure there are some great exceptions to my "rule" but most of what I was aiming at was the explosion of new bands with the screwed up names.

What's wrong with a band having a favorite band?

Nothing. A lot of other bands admire other bands work and that's to be expected. Some of the new bands in their interviews say their band of 3 years is influenced by the work of a 5 year old band. Music written so close together is more often a near copy than a distant influence. For this reason I think that most of the pop from the 80's is interchangable. Duran Duran was influenced by the Pet Shop Boys who were influenced by the Tears for Fears. Just a made up example but you get the idea. The orginality is lost when music isn't given time to settle in. MTV is responsible for a lot of these cookie cutter bands.

All I got to say is Metal fans are some of the most vocal when it comes to defending their favorite bands. It's great. I'm just happy to see that you weren't offended by my dig on Fred Durst, then we'd have problems. :D Enjoy your Megadeth Dooku Fett, I'll pass though.

Kkkkiiiiiddddddddddddddd Rrroooooccccckkkkkk..........sucks! :)

JetsAndHeels
06-24-2002, 11:36 PM
Lets see, I like alot of music, but here is a small list of some of my favorites.
Classic:
Hendrix
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Aerosmith
Modern Rock
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Tool
Incubus (who was here at the ESA tonight)
P.O.D.
Creed

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-25-2002, 12:33 AM
My musical taste has drastically changed in the past 10 years. A decade ago my favorite bands/performers were Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. Now they are:

Billy Joel
Genesis
The Goo Goo Dolls
Elton John
Bread
Rush
The Guess Who
Phil Collins
Fleetwood Mac
Tragically Hip
Tommy James
The Byrds
Bob Dylan

a lot of Motown (Smokey, Tempations, Four Tops) and 60's - 70's one-hit wonders

Dar' Argol
06-25-2002, 12:39 AM
Hmmmm. . . . . . well, I like anythin from Classic Rock(70's 80's), to Alternative, to Rap, to Techno, to Electronica, to some Pop, to Rave, to . . . . . . . . .wait!

I like pretty much anything but Country and Death Metal.

Mostly if it makes me move my body, I like it. I've got about 6 or so CD's right now I burned that are complete compilations of a variaty to genre's. I like what I like.

"Nod yo head until you start to break yo neck!!":D

RAVAZ
06-25-2002, 02:44 AM
I'm big into bands like KISS, Journey, Metallica, Megadeth, Tool,Van Halen, Anthrax, Black Sabbath, Doors, Hendrix,

Lately I've been blasting stuff by Veruca Salt, Toadies, Verve Pipe, and a band called Super Transatlantic.

QLD
06-25-2002, 02:50 AM
Everything except country and new rap. Old rap is good. New is not. Otherwise I listen to everything else.

Dooku Fett
06-25-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port

I'll admit that he's a talented musician but I can't stand his voice for one thing. He's also comes across as a bit pompous about his role in creating metal. Dave seems to think that only Megadeth and Metallica created the heavy metal that we know today. As much of a fan I am of Metallica they are not responsible for the music that followed. They were part of it but by no means the sole creators. What about Slayer?

In personal interviews, written interviews and in concerts he's more worried about bad mouthing other bands (especially Pantera) and that they only exist because of what he did in the early 80's. Enough Dave, stop trying to toot your own horn. I saw them in concert once and both the opening bands blew them off the stage. Pantera and White Zombie put on a damn fine show. Dave spent most of his time in a verbal fight with some guy in the pit over the fact that he was wearing a hat/shirt of a band other than Megadeth. I left after the first 40 minutes of that.

I'm sure there are some great exceptions to my "rule" but most of what I was aiming at was the explosion of new bands with the screwed up names.

Nothing. A lot of other bands admire other bands work and that's to be expected. Some of the new bands in their interviews say their band of 3 years is influenced by the work of a 5 year old band. Music written so close together is more often a near copy than a distant influence. For this reason I think that most of the pop from the 80's is interchangable. Duran Duran was influenced by the Pet Shop Boys who were influenced by the Tears for Fears. Just a made up example but you get the idea. The orginality is lost when music isn't given time to settle in. MTV is responsible for a lot of these cookie cutter bands.

All I got to say is Metal fans are some of the most vocal when it comes to defending their favorite bands. It's great. I'm just happy to see that you weren't offended by my dig on Fred Durst, then we'd have problems. :D Enjoy your Megadeth Dooku Fett, I'll pass though.

Kkkkiiiiiddddddddddddddd Rrroooooccccckkkkkk..........sucks! :)

OK, I respect your opinons now ;)

Oh God, I hate Fred Durst :mad: !!!!

stormie
06-25-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96

...Incubus (who was here at the ESA tonight)

JangoFett96, did you get to see the Incubus show? If so, what did you think?

Personally, I really like the albums, but when I saw them live, I could not believe how boring they were. They'd play a song, then turn off the lights for like five minutes while they prepared for the next song. No rythmn. Also, they unfortunately had to drag the sofa/loveseat out for an "intimate acoustic" rendition of some of their songs. Puhlease! Plug 'em in and rock! Another indication of how bad they were that night was that the opening band, Hoobastank, was better. Hoobastank, for crying out loud! ;)

Best live show ever: Tool.

Jonna
06-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by stormie

Best live show ever: Tool.

I have seen alot of shows and I would have to say VNV Nation at Limelight (NYC) Nov. '01 or The Damned at Coney Island High (NYC) several years ago or The Cure at Nassau coliseum in '94 (not sure on this one cuz I've seen them 9 times) or Bauhaus at Hamerstein Ballroom (NYC) a few years back or.....ah forget it. There are just to many to list!:cool:

darthvyn
06-25-2002, 02:34 PM
regularly playing:
garbage, the reverend horton heat (saw them both live in the past couple of months...) the new leaked never-going-to-be-released rage/cornell project, dubbed "civilian" by someone (it rocks, too bad they broke up.) jimmy eat world...

every once in a while:
count basie orchestra, dean-o, frankie, L7, tool, stone temple pilots, simpsons cd's (they're funny) jamiroqui, system of a down and many more that i can't think about right now.

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2002, 03:08 PM
Stormie,
No I was not able to see Incubus last night. By the time I found out about it the tickets had already been sold. A few people called into the local radio station here and said it was a decent show but not the best. Obviously Incubus is one of those bands that sounds better in the studio.
You also mentioned that Tool was the best live concert....I like Tool alot and I saw them here in Raleigh, but to me the best live show I have seen is Aerosmith. They were here last September and it was really off the hook!! They did most of their show on stage, but then walked through the crowd and did a set out on the lawn where I was. It was totally amazing. I have to say that has been the best concert I have ever been to.

Exhaust Port
06-25-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
I have seen alot of shows and I would have to say VNV Nation at Limelight (NYC) Nov. '01

I have their Praise the Fallen album and think it's great. I'd definately go to a concert if they came around.

My personal picks for best live show:

White Zombie
Pantera
Rammstein: any concert were the lead sing straps fireworks to his body, sets himself on fire and uses a flamethrower to ignite pyrotechnics hanging from the ceiling is alright in my book.
Soulfly
Sepultura
Corrosion of Conformity
KMFDM

My top 3 concerts

1. White Zombie/Pantera
2. Soulfly/Rammstein
3. Sepultura/Pantera

Worst live performance: Type O Negative

I really want to see Gwar in concert. Has anyone here made it to a show?

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2002, 03:35 PM
I saw GWAR on Jerry Springer once....Does that count?

billfremore
06-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Anything, and I do mean anything
I'll listen to stuff ranging from They Might Be Giants to Tennessee Ernie Ford

Exhaust Port
06-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
I saw GWAR on Jerry Springer once....Does that count?

I saw that episode. Man that was hilarious to watch. Grown men and women wearing foam monster costumes arguing (quite well too) with some white trash folks and some of the audience. Most people get the joke but it's even funnier when they don't and get all fired up. :D

Vortex
06-26-2002, 12:03 AM
I'm an 80's kid, so all those one hit wonder still make me sing in the car, like Sly Foxx, The Kings...

But My CD collection has everything from 2Pac to White Zombie...mix in a little righteous brothers, mozart, orgy, david bowie, flys, and the stones.

But my all time always played groups are:

Van Halen - the Diamond Dave Years
Aerosmith
The Flys
Korn
Creed
Sammy Hagar Solo
David Lee Roth Solo
Various 80's Hits
Stones
Poison
Motley Crew - Everything up to Dr. Feelgood
Billy Idol
Queen
Eve6
U2
Blink 182
Metallica
Beastie Boys
Def Lep

And of course....Ozzy

boss nass
06-26-2002, 12:34 AM
My favs are
Salyer
Megadeath
Metallica
Type o negative
Sepultura
Ramstein
Fear Factory
Prong
Days of the New
Anthrax
Black sabbeth
Tantric
Danzig
Tom petty
Pink floyd
star Wars music/John Williams
frank Sinatra yes you heard it right SINATRA BABY!!!

AT-AT Man
06-26-2002, 01:22 AM
Yo all rap and techno over here, Nelly, Ja, DMX, Nappy Roots, the Ying Yang Twins, but my all time fav artist is Kilo Ali, gotta represent the old school hip hop, Atlanta style. i hate everything else except some R and B, but other than that, get outa here.

Boba Fitt
06-26-2002, 08:42 AM
Well me and tjovonovich have got the same tastes except that I think most 90s rock was garbage.

I could never get in to the stuff like AT-AT Man listens to. I can't understand it and it sounds the same to me. What is the difference between rap and hip-hop?

I ain't putting anyones tastes down, just making some comments.

:-)

Forhekset
06-26-2002, 09:02 AM
Hey boss nass, another Fear Factory fan. Cool. :)

I think I've already posted in like 3 of these types of threads, but here goes again. I listen to a sort of eclectic mix of stuff.

Primus
Helmet
Fear Factory
Emperor
Satyricon
Weezer
KMFDM
Front Line Assembly
Ministry
Johnny Cash
Nine Inch Nails
Carcass
Kyuss
Black Sabbath (the first 4 albums, anyway)
Opeth
Dark Tranquillity
C.O.C.
Down
Cathedral
Beastie Boys
Prong
Abigor
Soundgarden
Static-X

And I listen to a lot of classical music:

Franz Liszt
Sergey Prokofiev
J.S. Bach
Ludwig van Beethoven
Modest Mussorgsky
Frederic Chopin
Richard Schumann
Alexander Scriabin
Bernard Herrmann
Miklos Rozsa
Nino Rota
John Williams

QLD
06-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Well, as long as we are naming favorites, I will drop a few.

No Doubt (best live show I have ever seen)
Green Day
B-52's
Madonna
Busta Rhymes
CCR
Boyz II Men
Garbage
Bare Naked Ladies
Beastie Boys
Elton John

stormie
06-26-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
No Doubt (best live show I have ever seen)
Green Day

Yes. I totally forgot about seeing No Doubt. That band can definitely put on a live show. I really thought her voice would suffer while she's running all over the place on stage, but it sounds just as strong.

Green Day is also a great show, and another band that sounds just as good live as recorded.

Good choices QLD! :D

anarky
06-26-2002, 01:34 PM
zappa

Jedi Juice
06-26-2002, 08:09 PM
Well, my favorite is definately rap, but I do listen to latin, jazz, and classical music also. I guess that's what you get when you're in the band and live in New Orleans....... haha.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Mostly Rock like Linkin Park, POD, Drowning Pool. But I also like the old scholl rappers like MC Hammer, Sugar Hill Gang, and even Vanilla Ice. I also jam to Will Smith, Jay-Z, Blink 182, Prozaak, and the great one John Williams.

boss nass
06-26-2002, 10:24 PM
hey forhekset you like Prong too thats cool i also forgot the
Beastie Boys
Nine inch nails
Helmet
and the Eagles mostly Gleen frey