PDA

View Full Version : Should Hasbro add a modern version of General Madine to our collections?

Tycho
06-24-2002, 02:48 PM
As promised, in a slowly continuing series of polls to examine whether our readers want all the vintage figures remade for the modern collection, this week we look at General Crix Madine.

Previously:

88% of our readers voted YES for a new action figure for Romba the Ewok. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2435)

and

93% of our readers voted YES for a new version of the Imperial Dignitary (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4107)

There are about 15 figures at the most, which existed as Kenner Star Wars figures from the 1980's that Hasbro has not remade in an all new likeness of.

So should Hasbro add a modern version of General Madine to our collections?

Vote now, then let's talk about "why" or "why not?"

Beast
06-24-2002, 02:59 PM
I'm hoping the rumors of him being produced this fourth quarter still come to pass. Like I have said before, a Rebel Officer appeared on early lists from Hasbro. The figure was originally associated with ANH, but the latest info I have seen says ROTJ. Only officer I can think that would be figure worthy from ROTJ is Madine.

Alot of things change, even after Hasbro sends out it's catalogs to retailers. I remember reading about Attack R2-D2 and C-3PO in a retailer catalog in 1996 or 1997, and about Ketwol in a retailer catalog in 1998 or 1999, but he didn't get produced until 2001. Hopefully Madine is still in the cards for November/December. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OC47150
06-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Yes, I'd like a Madine for my collection!

If Hasbro doesn't make specific figures like Madine, I'd settle for generic Imperial and Rebel officers. We're getting plenty of troops but need a few more officers.

Yoda'sMaster
06-24-2002, 03:10 PM
i dont c y every1 votid for the consept stormie lets stick with completeing all the origianals then move on to prequals

Tycho
06-24-2002, 03:13 PM
You know, there's 5 Rebel Officers that are pretty essential to the collection: Madine, Dadonna, Captain Antilles, Red Leader, and General Reikeen.

Hasbro could market these as carded figures, or they could do:

Cinema Scenes:

Base One: General Dadonna, Red Leader, (Garven Dreis) and a green R2 unit (or a red R5 unit). - Backdrop would be plans for the Death Star from the pilot briefing.

Echo Base: General Reikeen, Torynn Far (female Ion Cannon Control), Marjor Derlin (Cliff from Cheers). Backdrop would be the Ion Control, radar screens.

Home One: General Reikeen, black X-wing pilot (red squadron), Asian Y-wing pilot (Grey Leader). Backdrop would be plans to the Death Star II / Endor briefing.

Antilles could be carded. I'm not a big fan of "another Vader resculpt."

Deluxe Figures:

Dadonna would come with the "Death Star Approaching counsel."

Reikeen with a Hoth Radar counsel.

Madine could come with a large transparent Endor w/ shiled and Death Star model.

Since Astromech molds are cheap for them, Hasbro could just give Garven Dreis his astrodroid (think it was a red R5, then use that mold over to give R5-D4 fans their resculpt they want). They've made Anakin with a Geonosian and Mace with a Battle Droid. Although those pack-in figures have been less than stellar, they can't mess up an astromech unless they put a missle in him ; )

But let's first see if there's demand for General Reikeen!

You know what I'd say :D

Vortex
06-24-2002, 03:15 PM
I could go either way with this one.

I don't create massive armies or 'ramas so I'm pretty neutral on making him.

It would be nice to see the old line re-done, but I'd rather have some newer/never made before figs produced 1st.

Put him in a cin. scene or something.

orrimarrko
06-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Madine, Dignitary, Cloud Car Pilot, heck - even some re-sculpts of the weak 1995-1996 steroid figures would be great.

However, you will NOT be getting your wish on the Madine figures my friends. (As far as my information goes) For those who weren't aware, the actor who played Madine did not give his permission (or something like that) to Kenner for his likeness. He demanded too much money, and Kenner refused. Consequently, Kenner ceased making the General Madine figure. The US release of General Madine had already taken place, although you don't see him on too many later cardbacks. Evidence of this is the Tri-logo General Madine. The tri-logos were released later than their US counterparts, and the cease in production resulted in a scarcity of this figure on Tri-logo cards. Hence, the General Madine Tri-logo is the RAREST of all tri-logo figures - with only several known copies in existance.

As an aside, it would be great if Hasbro would concentrate on the things that (those who spent all the money) want to see.

They should stop wasting their time (and ours) on Expanded Universe, Conceptual Art figures, and other crap that doesn't exist on film. Similarly, get rid of the "action features" that make the new AOTC figures HORRIBLE for display purposes. Wake up Hasbro - the collectors spend the dough - not the kids.

What was wrong with the style that has worked with the 1998-2001 POTF2/POTJ and other previous lines. It seemed to get better and better. Now, however, it seems as though Hasbro is trying to sell on a "gimmick factor", instead of pure style.

Sell a better product, and the volume will follow. Do you realize how many beautiful costumes for characters could still be made in figure form? The handmaidens from episode I and II might not sound too exciting, but they would be beautiful figures. (Just an example.) Remake the Gargan - a character that had more face time than several of the figures that have already been made. These "fan choice" polls are a joke - if it's so close (like this most recent time), make them both - I promise that they will both sell!

Also, stop making 40 remakes of the same character - do we need yet another Han Solo in the same outfit? Han is the man, don't get me wrong, but if you want to resculpt him, try the Hoth outfit!

Anyway, I realize that I am wasting my time, because they don't read this stuff, and they certainly wouldn't care anyway.

Beast
06-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Yoda'sMaster
i dont c y every1 votid for the consept stormie lets stick with completeing all the origianals then move on to prequals
I can't agree with that idea. The prequels are hot right now, and there are alot of figures from E1, and even more from E2 that need done, before we go back to doing full OT figures. If you mean finish off redoing all the vintage line first, then maybe I would agree. I still want my Imperial Dignitary and Leia: Bespin Gown. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
06-24-2002, 03:29 PM
Let's see:

ANH

1) SILVER Death Star Droid
2) BLUE Snaggletoothe (technically an error, so make a Cloud City Snivvian)

ESB

3) Bespin Gown Leia (for those not satisfied with the Leia 11) Collection one).
4) Black Bespin Security Guard
5) Cloud Car Pilot (2 put in as pack-ins with an actual Cloud Car would work).
6) Hoth Rebel Soldier (non-infantry, for those not satisfied with the acc pack one).

ROTJ

7) Woof (green Nikto originally packaged as "Klaatu")
8) Lumat (Ewok archer)
9) General Madine (current poll)
10) Paploo (for those not satisfied with the Scoutwalker pack-in)
11) Chief Chirpa (Ewok leader)
12) B-wing Pilot (white male, human, Red Squadron)

Power of the Force

13) Imperial Dignitary (polled for)
14) Romba - Ewok (polled for)
15) Warrok - Ewok archer

OC47150
06-24-2002, 03:36 PM
I'm a fan of the cinema scenes. I have them all, and I'd like to see more made.

Maybe the new deluxe cantina sets that Wal Mart's gonna carry later this year is a way for us to get a Madine with briefing equipment.

brentfett
06-24-2002, 03:40 PM
I voted yes for the rest of you guys, but I probably wouldn't pick him up myself. I would much rather have an IMPERIAL DIGNITARY!!!!!!

Beast
06-24-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by orrimarrko
However, you will NOT be getting your wish on the Madine figures my friends. (As far as my information goes) For those who weren't aware, the actor who played Madine did not give his permission (or something like that) to Kenner for his likeness. He demanded too much money, and Kenner refused. Consequently, Kenner ceased making the General Madine figure. The US release of General Madine had already taken place, although you don't see him on too many later cardbacks. Evidence of this is the Tri-logo General Madine. The tri-logos were released later than their US counterparts, and the cease in production resulted in a scarcity of this figure on Tri-logo cards. Hence, the General Madine Tri-logo is the RAREST of all tri-logo figures - with only several known copies in existance.
I don't believe that is the case at all. Infact it seems pretty ridiculous, IMHO. From what I understand, Lucas and Kenner from ESB on, had all the actors sign releases for their likeness. The only charecters that currently cannot be made, do to likeness issues, is the Tonnika Sisters from the Cantina. I believe the only reason that the General Madine figure is rare on the Tri-Logo cardbacks is because he came out in late 1984 in that series, and the Star Wars line was dieing at that time. I also believe there has been a MicroMachine figure of Madine since then, but I can't recall what series he was in.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
06-24-2002, 03:51 PM
Madine is to the ROTJ line what Booster Rocket Artoo was to Ep1 and the current Threepio is to Saga. Figures that were supposed to have substantial screentime but had most or all of their scenes cut before Hasbro or Kenner could stop production of the figures. Although, at least one of Madine's scenes survived. (Ree-Yees and Yakface were also supposed to have a larger role in the movie but that was also cut)

Madine was supposed to have a side story taking place during the final battle but I guess it was removed to keep the story flowing smoothly (maybe it will get added back in for the DVD).

Anyways, despite all this, I would love to see a new General Madine figure. He was one of my favorite figures as a kid and I would like to see him remade with the level of detail given to the current Endor Rebel Soldier.

Rogue II
06-24-2002, 03:55 PM
I'm for any and all Classic Trilogy figures, especially Rebel leaders.

I like Tycho's ideas. I hope Hasbro gets around to making them.

OCB
06-24-2002, 04:01 PM
Tycho,

I would add the following to your list:

#1 Kithaba: There were two Barada type aliens one on Luke's skiff the other on the second one. In the cinema scene we got the white clad Barada and not the vintage yellow clad version who is called Kithaba

#2 Nikto, similar to above the version we currently have in yellow is different from the vintage version who was blue

#3 Death Squad Commander again a uniform difference but the Troopers on the Death Star Wore Grey Tunics, the POTF2 version is more like a Star Destroyer Trooper

#4 Imperial Officer, uniform difference again but the POTJ jumpsuit version is not a tuniced Imperial Officer ala the Vintage Version

Also extremely nitpicky are the Hoth Rebel Commander and the Gonk Droid which are both slightly different in the two version offered...

Maximillian Phokas
06-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Of course I voted "yes". I'm all for updating the vintage line. The trouble though is will Hasbro actually make them? I've heard all the debates between Hasbro trying to find a medium between kids and collectors as consumers, and in my opinion, it's the collectors who in the long run make this line of toys popular. A few of you nailed it right on the head before: enough with the 8 zillion resulpts of Luke and Han with new hats, belts or poses.

I agree with Tycho that sets of leaders, both Rebel and Imperial should be made. Either in Cinema Scenes or in Collection sets:

Madine, Dodonna, Willard, Reeikan, Red Leader

Ozzel, Veers, Needa, Jerjerrod, Tagge, Wulf Yularen

I'm sure that eventually Hasbro will get around to making these figures. I mean there's now a figure of Bo Shek, and it took them only 20 years to make a figure of Tarkin. I'm all for it!

Wookie Boy
06-24-2002, 05:07 PM
I definitely want to see a Madine figure, along with all of the others they have not made from the vintage line. Then if they could quit making resculpts of figures they have already made since 1995, I would be very happy. Does Hasbro realize that about 1% (or less) of the Star Wars action figures collectors even wanted a stupid Qui-Gon rescuplt? And to top it off, the figure sucks. The only reason I will buy him is because I am a completist with my collection.

Turbowars
06-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Ok I think I will keep this short and sweet, unlike the books that some of you try to write on these forums. I would love this guy, because the vintage one sucked to high heaven.

DarkArtist
06-24-2002, 07:17 PM
I think Madine should be included just so that the entire line of original Kenner figures is reproduced. However since he is in no action scene, please no action pose. A cool accessory would be perhaps a command table with holographic Endor and Death Star II.

Adam
06-24-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by orrimarrko
They should stop wasting their time (and ours) on Expanded Universe, Conceptual Art figures, and other crap that doesn't exist on film.

So what if it doesn't exist on film? As long as it looks good, who cares. The expanded universe IS star wars for some people. I for one hope they "waste their time" with the expanded universe and even the concepts. It certainly won't be wasted on me.

Darth Grifter
06-24-2002, 08:51 PM
I, for one would like to see Madine remade. A collection of the editing-room-floor cursed cool characters like him and others would be nice! They could call it the "Ben Burtt" line. :D

TEE KAY-421
06-24-2002, 09:20 PM
It would be so sweet to own a collection which includes at least one version of every character from Episodes 1-6. Maybe Hasbro thinks that would be cool too. With new technology, SW action figures can now be more articulate and detailed than was ever before possible. If I had my way, Hasbro would remake it's entire collection using modern technology. Although this is virtually impossible, here are 10 figures which I believe would make great additions to my Star Wars collection:

1- Hoth Han Solo (resculpt) 6- Muddy R2-D2 (Dagobah)
2- Bespin Cloud Car Pilot 7- General Reikan
3- Imperial Dignitary 8- Silver Death Star Droid
4- Bib Fortuna (resculpt) 9- Gargan (Jabba's Dancer)
5- Leia Organa (red Bespin gown) 10- General Madine

DarthBrandon
06-24-2002, 09:20 PM
Very nice figure, hope he gets made soon. A.S.A.P.

NRPeace
06-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Here's a character that actually had lines and an introduction. Quite honestly, I would rather see him made before another background alien. Has anyone done a list of speaking characters that haven't been made into figures yet?

JediMindTrick
06-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Let's face it Guys (and Girls), there are a ton of figures all of us collectors would love to be made. Half of them probably never will be though unless these AOTC figures start selling. I don't know how it is around the rest of the country, but my area is overflowing with AOTC figures. Heck, my Wal-Mart super center hasn't stocked new figures in a month. The Collectors bought theirs and now no kids are buying. I can go on the SW aisle and figures are untouched from day to day. There are 20 Darth Vaders and Lukes on the pegs right now. The key is to get the kids interested in the figures, instead of pokemon or dragonballz. I never see kids on the Star Wars aisle, but when I do I tell them how great a figure is, or how they need it instead of a hot wheel car. Sure, this may seem trivial, but until the kids start buying the stock that's on the shelves now, we aren't going to see too many new figures. Personally it is easier for me to talk a 7 or 8 year old into buying a Kit Fisto than it is for me to buy one every time I'm in the store. So, let's get out there and get those kids interested in SW again, like we were when we were kids!

I voted yes, I've been waiting for Madine for years. How did a Mon Calamari Trooper get made before madine?

jeffonthego
06-24-2002, 11:40 PM
Good discussion, but the poll is silly.

I figure that practically any proposed figure name you throw up in a poll will receive an overwhelming Yes. I mean why say no. Everyone likes more offerings.

A more useful poll would be to list all the proposed figures (or some) and ask people which one they MOST want. This would give useful feedback to us and Hasbro (if they are listening).

So let's see a big list, and put these proposed figures head to head!

Tycho
06-25-2002, 12:11 AM
Jeffonthego: I'm not sure what kind of poll you want. We have a thread discussing poll suggestions in this forum. But if you'd like, since you already brought it up in this thread, write your poll and possible answer choices and I'll take a look.

I myself would like a Kit Fisto, a Luminara, a wounded Padme from the Arena Battle, a normal Obi-Wan and Anakin, a new Dooku, a regular Clone Trooper, and an Eeth Koth that are not pre-posed for me.

The question could be "Should this list of figures be redone, non-preposed?" Y/ N / some of them.

Or I could just ask which figures you want remade, not-preposed?
(Choose all that apply: then list these 8 and let people vote for more than one or all 8, or none).

If you have a preference or another idea for THIS poll, please respond.

To everyone else, please try and keep it on the subject of General Madine and if you have poll suggestions, please click on "Polls" above and find the thread titled "Poll Suggestions" and add in your suggestions. Please read the thread first though. And as you'll see, I've used some of the suggestions already.

Thanks - Tycho

Jedi-Dalsa
06-25-2002, 01:25 AM
Yes Hasbro Needs To Work Extra Fast At This Point As They Only Have Three Years Now To Get Any Of These Old Figures Made Into A New Version For The Current Series! Yes Madine and all the rest that are yet to be made as New Versions need to be done ASAP! Why 2005 will be most likely the end to the entire series! Why? The current line is not doing well at Retail, So if the series can survive even three more years until 2005 the Series will come to an end not to long after 2005 for sure as 2005 will be the Final Movie Release and Star Wars will be no more! And The Line of toys will die soon after that. The End Of all this Star Wars line and Movies is almost over with. Their will not be any Star Wars Movies made or released after 2005 so this line is going to Crash like Hot Cakes. I myself try to buy all the action figures made from the old series and the New current series. But i do see what is coming and what will happen when the third movie is over with this series will crash and end for the Final Time. Any item's you have now that are Rare or worth Big Money at this time will soon crash in the downfall of the Star Wars Coming to it's Final End! I as a Collector of these action figures past and present don't care if the Prices fall on the collector market or not after 2005 as I am not selling my figures anyways! So a Crash in 2005 or soon after will not be my concern. But for you that are saving these action figures for the future on the cards and think they will one day be worth Big Money? Don't count on it at all the line crashed before in 1985 when the action figures were Cancelled back then and when 2005 comes around the line will be no more! Prices are going to Crash and Never will be Up again as Star Wars will never Return again as Lucas said 2005 will be The Final Movie and no more will be made. So that ends this series for good. Three Years to go and it's all over with. So make a Madine now and the other missing action figures now before it's over. Because then the line will be Gone To NeverLand forever! So I vote yes make Madine and all the rest now! Three Years to getall these done by. Forget making another version of Luke, Han, Vader we already had made before for crying out loud! Far as the pre-posed crap in this New Saga series and the Magnets! They must Go good now! These features are Crap! But maybe Hasbro has now found this out and will drop this idea now as they already changed the New Luke Figure to a Hand with a Plastic Tab on the Hand and before it had a Magnet! So Maybe the Magnets are out then! I sure hope so! M.T.F.B.W.Y. All! And Happy Collecting Star Wars Only Three Years o Go! And It's Over! BooHoo! I'll miss it very much as well. Jedi-Dalsa

orrimarrko
06-25-2002, 02:39 AM
Wow, that was somewhat apocalyptic.

To Jar Jar who replied earlier - nothing personal, but that information was not opinion, but from an extremely reliable source. While your reply may have some merit, it is merely coincidence. Nothing personal, and I'm not going to argue, but take the information as you will.

Folks, I would LOVE to have a resculpted version of every vintage figure, and every crappy one made since 1995. However, let's look at a few facts that CAN'T be coincidental:

Hasbro is keenly aware of what they Kenner made back in the day, versus what has been made to date. They also do check out public posts like these and are very clear on what we as collectors would love to see.

Since that is the case, and they pretty much realize that the overwhelming majority of Star Wars collectors at least would like to have the vintage figures remade, why haven't they been done?

While a neat sculpt, Djas Puhr? Ketwol? Come on! Are you going to sit there and honestly tell me that the true Star Wars geek who can actually pick these characters out of the two seconds of film footage wouldn't rather have a General Reikan, Captain Needa, or any number of clearly identifiable characters? So why make them and not those figures that you are discussing - Madine, Romba, Imperial Dignitary, etc?

Fact is that there can be only a few plausible reasons why:

The marketers feel that the character has no appeal, and therefore would lose money (ie Shmi Skywalker).

The character cannot be made for any number of legal reasons.

They fully intend to make them at a later date, but have to spread the delivery out to make product last until the next film in 2005.

OR

d. All of the above.

Again, I thnk that other than the flooding of product on the marketplace, this new approach that Hasbro is taking with all the gimmicks totally sucks - and is hurting them in the long run. Simultaneously, the pre-sculpts are cumbersome and unattractive. While some create dioramas, many just want to display the figures, not recreate the movies.

I think that if Hasbro has any desire to make the line last until 2005, they had better start listening to us and quick!

My answer to this poll - don't do a poll to get one winner like this latest joke. Do a poll to find out the top 5 requests - they will be guaranteed sellers!

One last thing in response to Jedi Dalsa - I think that you are dead wrong about two things: Hasbro will continue to make things (if they are smart) - they will tone down the runs and make them exclusive to chains, fan clubs, etc. These types of controlled product will always sell out their production runs and will remain profitable. Second, while some of the newer POTF2/EpI/POTJ/SAGA product will decrease in value initially, the vintage (and eventually the newer stuff) will hold its value. Compare the prices of vintage stuff in 1990 with 1995 - even before the new films were announced. The price difference is rediculous. Now compare 2000 with 2002 - most prices on carded figures has increased over 200%! Do you want to know why? Because those of us who had them as kids are now in a financial position to get them new - as we remember them. Supply of quality decreases, and the price will continue to rise. Eventually it should plateau, when $2000 will be just a bit too rediculous for a 12-back Han Solo. Then again, when old Harrison kicks the bucket...

Anyway, sorry to babble. Have fun y'all!

orrimarrko
06-25-2002, 02:43 AM
"My answer to this poll - don't do a poll to get one winner like this latest joke. Do a poll to find out the top 5 requests - they will be guaranteed sellers! "

Sorry, it's late - I was referring to the Fan's Choice poll that Hasbro runs (not this Madine poll.)

obi-dad
06-25-2002, 03:03 AM
I agree with most everything I read. I would love to see all the major Rebel and Imperial leaders made. In fact, I would buy almost any non EU or concept art figure. Not to say I don't want those made because I do know lots of people that love that stuff. Personally, I would put those figures at the bottom of the list of all the movie figures, but Hasbro has never called me asking me for my list in order. I would love to keep the resculpts down to a minimum, until more characters that have never seen plastic are made, but I do see the need for a Hoth Han resculpt and varioius others. I love the current trend to make more army builders and with multiple head sculpts, but I don't want generic army builders to replace the characters (like perhaps Ozzel & Jerjerrod not being made because they made the POTJ Imperial Officer). Obviously, I am not a completist. I did not buy Sith Apprentice Maul, the POTJ EU Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan, the new AOTC Qui-Gon or various others. I can't imagine a new figure made (from one of the movies and not way over done) that I wouldn't buy. I was glad to shell out my cash for the new Vader, Luke, Han, Chewie, and Endor Soldiers. I'd rather have bought Madine, Ozzel, Dodonna, Reikan, Needa, Lumat, Romba, Warrok, Paploo with a normal headdress, Bespin Gown Leia, Captain Antilles, Red Leader, Major Derlin, alternate rebel pilots that Tycho mentioned, the droids the jawas offered Owen & Luke, ...... etc. But, other than the New Qui-Gon and several of the new deluxe figures (the flipping action figures come to mind, and the new Anakin) I'm buying at least one of everything I see (and army builders.... as much as my wallet will allow, assuming I find the figures).

Quite-Gone Jim
06-25-2002, 08:08 AM
Generally speaking I want a sculpt of every figure that had speaking lines in a movie. The background aliens are really cool looking sculpts, but what about the characters that drove the story.

The figures I'd really like to see are:

ANH:
General Dodanna
Captain Antilles
Owen Lars
Red Leader
Gold Leader

ESB:
General Rieken
Major Derlin
Admiral Ozzel
General Veers
Captain Needa
Leia Bespin (Plastic clothes)
Cloud Car Pilot

ROTJ:
General Madine
Y-wing pilot
Green A-Wing pilot
Imperial Dignitary
Chief Chirpa
More ewoks (I really liked the use of techological primative/cute being able to overcome the imperial forces)

The aliens in the background would be nice, but their not as high on my list of figure to see made.

SNAYSON
06-25-2002, 10:17 AM
MAKE THE REMAINING FIGURES NOT YET REDONE FROM THE VINTAGE LINE!
then make new, never-been-made from film, some EU and some resculpted action-figures of star wars characters

Mandalorian Candidat
06-25-2002, 10:23 AM
I don't see why Hasbro can't remake some of these figures. We got a resculpt of ig-88, a new mon cal figure, 2 endor rebel soldiers, a butt load of new Hans, and several others that came out during the POTJ era. Personally, there are figures I would rather see produced before others **cough**concept stormie**cough**, but why is it so hard to have some of these produced?

I personally could care less if Rieekan or impdig ever get made, but there certainly is enough fan support to warrant their resurrection. Hasbro needs to pay more attention to the wants of the collectors since we are pretty much the ones supporting this line.

I like the idea of a Madine figure and hope it does get made, but I won't hold my breath. I'm sure we'll get another dozen Maul resculpts first. :rolleyes:

bigbarada
06-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Jedi-Dalsa
Yes Hasbro Needs To Work Extra Fast At This Point As They Only Have Three Years Now To Get Any Of These Old Figures Made Into A New Version For The Current Series! Yes Madine and all the rest that are yet to be made as New Versions need to be done ASAP! Why 2005 will be most likely the end to the entire series! Why? The current line is not doing well at Retail, So if the series can survive even three more years until 2005 the Series will come to an end not to long after 2005 for sure as 2005 will be the Final Movie Release and Star Wars will be no more! And The Line of toys will die soon after that. The End Of all this Star Wars line and Movies is almost over with. Their will not be any Star Wars Movies made or released after 2005 so this line is going to Crash like Hot Cakes. I myself try to buy all the action figures made from the old series and the New current series. But i do see what is coming and what will happen when the third movie is over with this series will crash and end for the Final Time. Any item's you have now that are Rare or worth Big Money at this time will soon crash in the downfall of the Star Wars Coming to it's Final End! I as a Collector of these action figures past and present don't care if the Prices fall on the collector market or not after 2005 as I am not selling my figures anyways! So a Crash in 2005 or soon after will not be my concern. But for you that are saving these action figures for the future on the cards and think they will one day be worth Big Money? Don't count on it at all the line crashed before in 1985 when the action figures were Cancelled back then and when 2005 comes around the line will be no more! Prices are going to Crash and Never will be Up again as Star Wars will never Return again as Lucas said 2005 will be The Final Movie and no more will be made. So that ends this series for good. Three Years to go and it's all over with. So make a Madine now and the other missing action figures now before it's over. Because then the line will be Gone To NeverLand forever! So I vote yes make Madine and all the rest now! Three Years to getall these done by. Forget making another version of Luke, Han, Vader we already had made before for crying out loud! Far as the pre-posed crap in this New Saga series and the Magnets! They must Go good now! These features are Crap! But maybe Hasbro has now found this out and will drop this idea now as they already changed the New Luke Figure to a Hand with a Plastic Tab on the Hand and before it had a Magnet! So Maybe the Magnets are out then! I sure hope so! M.T.F.B.W.Y. All! And Happy Collecting Star Wars Only Three Years o Go! And It's Over! BooHoo! I'll miss it very much as well. Jedi-Dalsa

Wow, why not try a paragraph break once in a while and save everyone's eyes?:D

Anyways I agree that the line will be lucky to last until Ep3s release and there is not much hope for a continued line sitting on store shelves after 2005. Sure they might go the Direct Market or Fan Club route; but then collectors would be dropping off even faster. I've recieved too many horribly painted figures in the mail to buy more than a couple figures that way, especially when I can't inspect them in person.

As it is, I only buy 1 out of every 5 figures released on average. If the line evolves into a mail-order only line through the fan club then that ratio will increase. If that was the case, I would only buy a figure if it was A: a resculpted Vader removable helmet, B: a resculpted TIE Pilot, C: resculpted A-Wing Pilot or D: Hermi Odle. Those are pretty much the only figures I need to complete MY collection. (after CC Chewie, Rebel Soldier ver.2 and Ephant Mon are released of course)

Obi-Don
06-25-2002, 11:58 AM
I really want this figure. Is there anyone out there who has a good custom of him?

jedi master sal
06-25-2002, 12:50 PM
He and all other characters that had speaking lines sould be made/remade. Then, and only then should Hasbro consider making ridiculous 1-2 second wonders ie Djas Puhr (Yes I got him but would have preferred a Madine or Reikaan) after those then EU, then concept or other figs.

As mentioned, this line is going to serioulsly decline after the last movie and though we (the collectors) are probably the biggest share in the market when it comes to SW, I don't think we would be deemed profitable by Hasbro or other SW merchandise manufacturers. Therefore the line will die and we will again go through the "Dark times" this time permanently(sp?)

Hasbro should hurry up and get as much new product out as they can. They did okay between epi and epii but I think they should double that amount of new or redone/resculpted figs. I see that I'm am going to be a very busy customizer after the line dies, unless Hasbro listens to us.

Well, all that to say again, YES make MADINE!

Beast
06-25-2002, 01:14 PM
I don't think we have to worry so much, Hasbro supposedly has right for the figures thru 2008. And the line survived from 1995 until 1999 with no new movie. No need to panic yet, Star Wars will be around an awful long time, if Hasbro has anything to say about it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
06-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I don't think we have to worry so much, Hasbro supposedly has right for the figures thru 2008. And the line survived from 1995 until 1999 with no new movie. No need to panic yet, Star Wars will be around an awful long time, if Hasbro has anything to say about it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2008, eh? I wonder how if they will be able to put up with us collectors for that long. It seems like we constantly beg for new figures, then complain about the ones we get. We complain about quality, distrubution, articulatioin, exclusives, accuracy, scale, fan's choice poll integrity, and accessories. Yet, we keep buying the toys. For $5-$7, I don't think the toys are all that bad. The could be better, they could be a lot worse.

So I'm going to sit and patiently wait. They can produce a lot of figures between now and 2008. I'm sure they can fit General Madine, General Reikaan, and Yarna in there somewhere. Personally, since the focus of my collection is the classic trilogy, I'm looking foward to see what Hasbro puts out around the time of the DVD release.

I hope with 6 years left, they can produce enough figures to please everyone. They should be able to finish most of the movie characters of importance, finish a concept line(since the fans voted for the RM Stormtrooper concept), and have another go at the EU line.

Tycho
06-25-2002, 02:12 PM
I think that creating a stronger market for the Expanded Universe now, by starting comic or novel based series collections will greatly help the line last in some limited capacity beyond 2007.

ROTJ came out strong in 1983, and with no future movies on the horizon, the original vintage line lasted two more years after 1983 with late entries including Luke in Stormtrooper disguise, Han in Carbonite, and ships like the Tyderium Shuttle (1984) and the Tatooine Skiff (1985). True, interest declined in SW, hence the low production numbers of these rarer vehicles and action figures.

Meanwhile, I expect the movie-based toy line to continue for several years after Episode Three. There is still no Sith Infiltrator, Gungan Sub, other Podracer vehicles, a Sandcrawler, a Hailfire Droid, Spider Walker, and so forth, plus all these figures we are talking about.

I agreed with Orimarrko who said they are spreading out the delivery dates for these things we strongly want to help let the line last. There are still about 75 great choices from the Classic Trilogy and as noted in this poll, only 15 or so are vintage not yet redone. Barely any of them are main characters and not resculpts (Luke and Leia from the medical frigate, and Lando in Corellian attire, etc.)

If they made EU series figures and got some of those popular and well tied into comics and books that are popular now, they would keep a market open to themselves with recognizeable characters and new allies and enemies for them:

Luke as a Jedi Master, and Jaina, Jancen, and Anakin Solo.

Yuuzhan Vong soldiers for army builders, with lead 'Vong characters like Tsavong-Lah and Shadeo-Shai, Nom Anor following them up.

Jedi characters like Kyp Durron, Tenel Ka, Lowbacca etc. can continue the New Jedi Order line, as well as Mara Skywalker and Ben Skywalker (as a pack-in).

Leia could be made as the New Republic Chief of State, then as a refugee from the destruction and occupation of Coruscant, along with an older NJO Han and Droma.

The names Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia Solo are beyond easily recognizeable names for collectors. If some of these figures come out, perhaps that 28% of the fans out there that regularly buy the novels (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10066) would still purchase Star Wars action figures to go along with their new adventures long after all the stuff from the movies have been made, and watching Episode THREE's DVD has lost its "newness and interest" in time.* Perhaps a 72 % reduction in product produced could keep the line out there, for die-hards, and leave something to continue the fun for those of us who would appreciate it?

Look at the Mad Max figures, or the James Bond line. Those can't possibly cater to a large fan following (that also collects toys and regularly visits the toy stores in the same numbers that SW fans did during movie months, April 23 through May).

Production of Star Wars products, mostly EU based and tied in with current comic and book projects (or popular older ones) could sustain a limited market. EU vehicles to go with them (like the ATPT walker, a Skispray Blastboat, a Noghri air skimmer, the Imperial Chariot LAV, a Z-95 Headhunter, 'Vong Corralskipper, etc.) would all help give the line a boost.

Star Wars does not have to die for those with the imagination and desire to see it continue.

*the percentages in the last poll do not mean anything as multiple voting was allowed to occur. Anyone who understands math knows that you should take the total amounts of votes on the poll: 1250, and divide it by how many are actively interested in the Del Rey adult Star Wars novels: 356. That yields about 28%
interest, though it does not conclude that all of those book fans collect. However, poll results show that it is only possible for 2% to possibly read the books and not collect. Thus at least 26% of our readers would read the books and buy action figures. So again, if Hasbro made only 30% of the quantity they produce of the figures now, they could continue the line beyond 2007. However, new methods of production might have to be implimented, depending upon what rate of return they need to see to make molding the figures profitable for them in the first place. But it is crucial that the 3 3/4" size remain constant! The more it is part of or compatable with our current collection, the better they will sell.

the last jedi
06-25-2002, 02:16 PM
wow, Ok Real fast hear, I love the military stuff so yes On the rebel officer, And more dif kind of Imper forces not just storm troopers. more Mech and Spec. troops would be cool but yes give us some new rebel officer's

Vortex
06-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Just want to play devil's advocate to Tycho on this.

I do like the idea of some more EU stuff to keep the line going, but on the other side of the coin, I was greatly disapointed with the bulk of the 1st run EU lines, but I was glad to have them offered.

The only reason I'm hesitant about more EU is the projected image or scuplt of the figures. Remember that everything in those essential guids, novels and comics, are pretty much artistic impression. We all have different mental pictures of Mara, Jacen, Lowie, whoever else, and I know that the authors, comic drawers, sculpers, readers all have differnt visions on these characters. There's nothing static with some of these heros/villians.

The 1st EU line, to me, was a slight disapointment. I know that some of the newer figs aren't that great either, but at least you have a person or digital image to reference and everyone is thinking and identifying with 1 image, like it or not.

The Dark Trooper didn't look much like the final baddie at the end of dark forces, and I would have liked to have the middle dark trooper or the 1st dark trooper instead. The one that was produced was a bit of a let down.

The space trooper was pretty cool, but was nothing like I expected, and nothing like a few friends expected.

Mara, and Thrawn looked a little off...ok, Mara needs work.

Kyle, Luke, Leia were all ok, but fell a little short.

I think we need to be careful about or take a final vote on what some of these items look like, since we all have differing images of people, places, and vehicles.

But I'm all for more EU, but I think we either need to vote and get a majority of what something looks like, or have the authors make the final decision. Most of the images change from essential guide, to the gamer mag, to the comics, to other essential guids...EU could be a huge flop. GL could personally have the last say, but at that point, who's creation is it really, the authors, or GL's, or ours?

Darth Tornado
06-25-2002, 09:09 PM
I really want them to create General Madine. I am trying to collect the figures I had when i was a kid and he is one of them. I also want them to make a silver death star droid and a good R5-D4 and Han Solo in Hoth gear( I find they really butchered these 2). And for petes sake they should make a cloud car sheesh. Im tired of the preqeul figures stopping the real toys from getting made the classic trilogy ones.

Tycho
06-25-2002, 09:50 PM
tjovonovich:

On some characters, like the Yuuzhan Vong, there have been many, many terrible "impressionist" attempts at defining what they look like.

I submit to you, and any others who want the line to continue with EU figures, why not have Hasbro commit to doing such a figure, (the Noghri would be another example), and then putting up 5 pictures of artistic renderings of the same character type, and have us choose which one we like the best? It will be just like the fans' choice polls.

I don't like ANY of the Yuuzhan Vong images I've been shown really, save for maybe the young warrior who Anakin Solo fought alongside of in "Conquest." Remember, everything on a Vong warrior is alive. If a piece of the armor or something is removed, it should be able to walk, crawl, slither, or ooze along by itself. The images of Vondom Crab armor don't suggest this at all. They look like organic football shinguards, knee pads, etc. but they are supposed to be not only organic, but independently alive! No cloak, robe, cape etc. is just that either. It is some kind of creature. For example, if a character wears a cape, it should actually be a giant bat or stingray, and where Vader's cloak clasps with a chain, interlocking claws should be seen while the creature's head folds into a pouch or something, or rests on the
Vong warrior's head, like Ewoks' hood decorations had skulls laid out. Only the Vongs' would still be alive and blink at you or spit venom if you got too close.

So here Hasbro has a chance to totally redesign it all and show us 5 styles and let us pick. They can gauge the interest in the figure by how many people vote.

Next, Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin Solo shouldn't be too hard to agree on. They all should look like a combination of Han and Leia's features, more masculine or feminine wherever appropriate.

Likewise, an older Han, Luke, and Leia should just take the current figures and add wrinkles and a little grey to their hair.

Kyle Katarn was never done right. His beard was way too full inspite of the fact that he wears it just barely thicker than Uncle Owen does in E4. So it should be like Owen's figure, or Dash Rendar's. (Recall that Shadows was the first EU line).

Now with Shannon Baksa cast as Mara Jade, RealScan shouldn't be too debatable. How she wears her hair might be. So some photos and a vote on hair styles might work. Costumes, too maybe. A lot of folks would like to see her as Airica from Jabba's Palace. Then there should be an option for those who didn't agree with Shannon's casting, I suppose. If it outweighs the preferred choice of "Shannon's hair style / costume change" then they'll have to do a 2nd poll with artist concepts. Timothy Zahn approved of Shannon, though, I might add. I personally asked him.

But why are we talking about all this instead of Madine. The line will end by 2008 for certain without EU to carry it on. Or 2009 will see all-new versions of Darth Maul, Qui-Gon Jinn, JarJar Binks, Luke Tatooine, Han in a vest, Chewbacca in a bandolier strap, Leia with the cinnamon buns, Yoda with one uni-leg, etc. Maybe we'll get all 12 or so sculpts of Luke all in the same year?! So, EU or done deal?

While some of you would love to quit collecting to save space and money, I remind you that (hopefully) in 7 years from now, you all will be earning more money than you do today, and may also afford larger accomodations that you can display your toys in. While I wish you good luck in your future, chances are you will have more money while even at the same time, Hasbro will offer less products anyway.

If we get General Madine now or later, nothing will change the fact that we will run out of Classic, and likely prequel characters to make new figures of (that haven't been made before).

Vortex
06-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Hey I'm all for voting on what a figure looks like, I mentioned it before and I'm with you about checking out 5 or so looks and taking popular opinion.

And again for the purpose of this thread...

Gen. Madine - Still neutral about making him. As for running out of figs...there's plenty of backgroud folks to fill any gaps from the movies, and if Hasbro is pushing into the concept stuff...It would take them a while to run out of figs.

Rogue II
06-25-2002, 10:22 PM
They will never run out of classic trilogy characters! I counted at least 40 characters from the Cantina and Jabba's Palace that they could make. Then they could make all of the background Rebels and Imperials. Not to mention all of the countless resculpts we will get as technology improves.

metaljedi
06-26-2002, 12:30 AM
I think that General Madine should be made. Why not? If they can make numerous Stormtroopers, Luke, Vaders, and others why not a figure that collectors have been wanting for awhile now.

JediMindTrick
06-26-2002, 08:14 AM
Why can't Hasbro do something like they have done for the Batman and Superman figures. I was in TRU yesterday and saw two different 4 packs of Batman figures. Sure, the Cinema Scenes were great, but a four or five pack would be less costly to make if they put the figures in a plastic tray inside a 5 inch by 10 inch box. We don't need another plastic base or background with holes in it. Just put 5 different Rebel officers in a long window box and sell them. Madine could be included along with Derlin and others. The same could be done with Imperials like Ozzel, Needa, and others. I am not saying these should be TRU or anyone's else's exclusives though.

Darth Grifter
06-27-2002, 02:40 AM
Good Call JMT. I like the idea of a four pack in a normal packaging or something that is less of an excuse for a jacked up price.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-29-2002, 03:20 AM
A total must! :)

Tycho
07-01-2002, 01:12 PM
I like the 4 pack idea myself. Other military lines have done that before.

The GI Joe knock-off line, The Corps for example.

Batman has done a villains pack that way quite successfully, too.

Rogue II
07-01-2002, 01:23 PM
It is a good idea. Rather than having to hunt down 4 seperate figures and worry about their distrobution, all we would have to do is find 1 neat little package.

For me, I would even be happy if they stuck them into a white mailer box similar to the Stormtrooper Army builder pack. I don't suppose the carded collectors would like that.

mdquinn
07-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Hasbro should make everybody

But they should make important Generals like

Riekka, Dodanna, and Madine before another
1 second screentime alien (not that these are bad)

But we need more important rebels, someone needs to command the troops

Might also want to borrow the CCG Decipher card names and start crackin on mroe imperial officers and commanders

I'm running out of custom generic heads to put on tarkin repaints

I want some hasbro made Imperial and Rebel Commanders

Tycho
06-17-2003, 01:59 AM
Madine is supposedly coming in 2004 also!

I'm worried about the General myself though, because the retailers are not ordering enough 2003 stuff, that I think all this product will either be considerably slowed down, or some plans for figures like Madine who probably aren't even proto-typed yet, will just end up being scrapped while they "take their chances" on similar figures like Antilles and Dodonna.