PDA

View Full Version : Truthfully...

neimoidian85
06-25-2002, 12:30 AM
Okay, let's say you aren't a scalper. You already have one of a certain action figure. Alright, you spot a figure variation at a Wal-Mart that you know is worth 450 dollars, but he is the last one left. Would you:

(A) Buy it and keep it in the package.
(B) Buy it and open it as an extra.
(C) Sell it
(D) Leave it

LTBasker
06-25-2002, 12:42 AM
Well... It depends.

If the figure is quite hard to find, and I've got only one of the figure in total, which is also the same version as the figure, I would buy it an open the less mint one.

If it didn't really interest me though, and I already had the other versions of the figures, I would probably leave or buy it if it wasn't expensive and keep it packaged.

Either way though, I would never go with C, if I don't want it - I ain't gonna buy it, unless it's for trading purposes or a gift.

Lord Tenebrous
06-25-2002, 12:55 AM
I don't have very much faith in people, so the chance of me pawning a "valuable" chunk of plastic to a complete stranger is pretty slim.

I don't need the money, and if something occurred where I did, I have plenty of items of real value to part with. It's that simple. :)

BillyJAck
06-25-2002, 01:03 AM
I'd buy it and sell it to someone who really really wanted that variation for cost plus shipping just to make their day :)

billy

TIE Pilot
06-25-2002, 01:04 AM
I open ~all~ my figures, however if I were to run across a figure that I knew for certain was worth a lot of money, I'd probably buy it and keep it on the card. Not because I'd want to sell it (however IF the situation arose, I just might) but I think it'd be kinda neat having such a rare figure to display on a card.

Beast
06-25-2002, 01:09 AM
E.) Buy it and trade it for somthing I do need, with someone that is intrested in so called "variations". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-25-2002, 02:11 AM
If I knew I could get 450 dollars for it, I would sell it in a heartbeat. Unless my best friend needed it, but I am confident that he would want to sell it. I am too hard up on money lately not to take advantage of it. Buying a house, car, surgery. 450$? No brainer in my opinion.

DarthBrandon
06-25-2002, 02:15 AM
I buy and trade it for something I wanted, it would not matter if the other figure was worth less. Equal trade.

RAVAZ
06-25-2002, 02:36 AM
I'm broke. I'd buy it and sell it. If I wasn't broke, I'd buy it and keep it in it's package.

chubbychicken
06-25-2002, 02:53 AM
i usually keep all my figures in the cards unless i buy 2 of the same figure then i take one out but ya it depends if the figure is on my wnat list then sure but if not then it stays on the pegs haha

WesleySr
06-25-2002, 02:55 AM
Buy it and trade it for some other things that I need.

jobi
06-25-2002, 06:27 AM
I won't lie. If I could make $450.00 off some fool willing to buy a toy for that much I would sell it in a minute.

Rogue II
06-25-2002, 08:10 AM
(D) Leave it. I don't know or care about variations.

187-Maul
06-25-2002, 09:39 AM
well (I'm not talking abou this priecerange but I found Jar-Jar Swamp for a pretty good price in my toysrus and immediently bought it and still have it on the package but am still waiting for some one who is willing to buy it/trade it for something I really want
so like JJB, E. buy it and trade it for something I really want

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I'd buy it and trade for something else. I don't care about variations.

BlahBlahBlah
06-25-2002, 10:10 AM
If I absolutely knew that I'd make that much money off of one figure, then yes, I'd buy it and sell it.

Jonna
06-25-2002, 10:35 AM
$450 for a $5 dollar investment. What am I an idiot! Of course I would sell it.

It is not really the act of making money because I would probably buy just buy more figures with it. Look at it this way, if you could have a huge army of clone troopers or stormtroopers for $5 (that you originally spent) wouldn't you do it?

Darth Annexis
06-25-2002, 11:29 AM
You are going to have to be mose spcific...a variation that is worth 450.00 is hard to determine...what would this be a solid gold Yoda?

If it were Solid Gold Yoda...I think I would melt it down...

IMO I do not think that variations are worth much...you have to remember your figure is only worth as much as some one will pay for it...

So I would buy it at 4.99 and hold on to it...if it is truely worth 450.00 today...then it should be worth 10 times that in 25 years when Starwars hits 50.

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 11:46 AM
The only recent figure I've seen going for anywhere near that amount is one of those "gem mint" Jorg Saculs, and that was on eBay. However, I assume that we're talking about a hypothetical situation here, so it doesn't really matter how realistic it is.

bigbarada
06-25-2002, 12:09 PM
I think he is bringing up a situation like, what if your local Wal-Mart realized that it had been sitting on a box of Freeze Frame figures for four years (got lost in a corner of the warehouse or an employee hid it there just a few days before he got fired, whatever) and that day you went shopping and found an FF Weequay on the pegs for $4.77. A longshot; but keep in mind that this is a hypothetical situation.

When I was in Korea, I happened upon a situation like this, I found a local toy store that sold a Korean exclusive Optimus Prime. So I called Brian's Toys and asked how much they would buy them for. They told me $250 apeice, I went back to the store and asked the store owner how much they cost in American dollars. He told me $30 each! I bought two, mailed them off to BTs and got a whole bunch of Ep1 items and Marmit figures that I would have never been able to afford before.

For this particular situation, though I would buy the figure, check around to see if anyone needed it and if not, I would sell it to a store like BTs. I'm putting myself through college right now, so any little bit of extra money I can get my hands on would be welcome.

sith_killer_99
06-25-2002, 01:19 PM
BigB has a point...US carded FF Weequay. Definate KEEPER!!!

As for the variation??? If it was something I liked, I would buy it and keep it in my collection.

If it was something I thought was stupid I would trade it to a fellow collector (for a FF Weequay...hehehehe....JK)