PDA

View Full Version : 25th Anniversary R2-D2? (MERGED)

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 07:44 AM
Found this pic... it's a metallized version like the Toy Fair Vader. RS says it's "rumored" to be a TRU exclusive - boy, I won't have any trouble finding THIS figure, if that's the case. :rolleyes:

Seems like Hasbro would use this fig as something a bit more special than just a store exclusive though...you know, like something to be given out at a convention, or something like that.

187-Maul
06-25-2002, 08:34 AM
well it looks kind a cool, in a strange way but still ok

hango fett
06-25-2002, 08:40 AM
it's too crome for my taste...but i would buy it if i could..
peace
hango

Rogue II
06-25-2002, 08:50 AM
It is probably a fake. Some of those customizers are pretty slick.

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
It is probably a fake. Some of those customizers are pretty slick.

Good call, perhaps it is a fake. Given the way that RS tends to haphazardly post rumors as "news", that could be the case. Still, I wonder....

hango fett
06-25-2002, 09:01 AM
i think it is a fake....it just doesn't look like the r2 i know....
peace
hango

Old Fossil
06-25-2002, 09:09 AM
The photo looks altered to me...

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
The photo looks altered to me...

Nah, there doesn't appear to be any Photoshoppery going on in the image. If it's fake, it's just a painted R2 on a custom card. I'd buy one of these if it were real and the price were right, though.

SirSteve
06-25-2002, 09:21 AM
We got the picture from the same source and it's a very good source so I don't think it is fake.

Jedi_Rainman
06-25-2002, 09:30 AM
I think the picture is real. I am in college for video and graphic editing/design. There is the possibility of it being a custom figure yes, but I think and hope its the real deal, but I'd rather not have to pay as much as I did for the Vader.

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info SirSteve. So if it is a real figure, and it's true that it will be a TRU exclusive I hope they make them available through TRU.com, because that's the only way I'll ever have a prayer of getting one of these (at a decent price, that is).

icatch9
06-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Sir Steve says it's from a good source then it's probally real. Weather or not it will ever come out is another thing. A TRU exclusive? That just doesnt' seem to fit. Oh well, it's all speculation right now, but I'm sure this thread will get up to about 400 responses. Half saying it's real, and the other half saying it's fake. Should be fun :):)

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
Sir Steve says it's from a good source then it's probally real. Weather or not it will ever come out is another thing. A TRU exclusive? That just doesnt' seem to fit. Oh well, it's all speculation right now, but I'm sure this thread will get up to about 400 responses. Half saying it's real, and the other half saying it's fake. Should be fun :):)

The TRU exclusive thing seems fishy to me, too. Looks more like some sort of convention exclusive, or at least a fan club exclusive. As for whether or not the figure comes out, that other collecting site does call it "the upcoming (emphasis mine) 25th Anniversary R2-D2"...they make it sound like it's a sure thing, anyway. Who knows, I guess. All I know for sure is it looks cool. :D

Jonna
06-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Are there any conventions coming up with a large SW theme??

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 10:01 AM
I dunno about any upcoming conventions, Jonna. There's this WizardWorld whatever thing...I don't go to conventions so I'm sort of clueless on it.

In fact the only convention I've ever been to was a comic convention when I was 13, and I got Andy Kubert to autograph a sealed copy of a Ghost Rider book he worked on.

But doesn't this R2 look cool?? A metallized Stormtrooper would look pretty awesome too.

Jonna
06-25-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Forhekset
I dunno about any upcoming conventions, Jonna. There's this WizardWorld whatever thing...I don't go to conventions so I'm sort of clueless on it.

In fact the only convention I've ever been to was a comic convention when I was 13, and I got Andy Kubert to autograph a sealed copy of a Ghost Rider book he worked on.

But doesn't this R2 look cool?? A metallized Stormtrooper would look pretty awesome too.

I haven't been to any conventions at all. They are either to far away or I find out about them at the last minute. I am definately going to the next one for E3 though. And YES, I want that R2.:D

U.K.BOY
06-25-2002, 10:09 AM
I had this item mentioned to me about 3-4 weeks ago by a reliable source as a fairly imminent item so I can confirm it is most definitely real.

Its just a shame that we will have to wait another 25 years for the Gold versions(email me if you don't get it !!).

U.K.Boy.

evenflow
06-25-2002, 10:11 AM
I think its cool, but I dont think it will be a TRU exclusive. I am think more of a fanclub thing. Thats just my opinion though.

hango fett
06-25-2002, 10:13 AM
i can live with the fanclub thing....just not one every month!
peace
hango

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 10:18 AM
I wish it WOULD be a fan club exclusive. Limit 2 per customer/per week.

SNAYSON
06-25-2002, 10:19 AM
is this for real?

Rogue II
06-25-2002, 10:21 AM
Well, since SirSteve himself said it was from a good source, then I believe it is real. Now, I hope they made enough of them so the scalping thing doesn't get out of hand like the Vader and the Jorg Sucal.

Darth Annexis
06-25-2002, 10:24 AM
IMO it is a Custom...the bubble around R2 is weird...not the form fitting you would expect from Hasbro. And the Star Case...certainly not a Hasbro pic...they would never use a Star Case to display over their own packaging...and besides...we would have nown if Hasbro planed to release such an item.
(Perhaps we should inform Sir Steve, that we have lost the ability to use the force)

hango fett
06-25-2002, 10:25 AM
well, if sirsteve says it's not, then i don't think it is...
peace
hango

400th post!

SirSteve
06-25-2002, 11:17 AM
It is real. Confirmed. It is a TRU exclusive.

187-Maul
06-25-2002, 11:24 AM
forheksek, a metalizd Stormtrooper would definetly be cool

bigbarada
06-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Great. So, thanks to Toyfair Vader, Hasbro thinks it can grab just any figure, chrome it up, toss it on a plain black card with a Star Wars logo and we'll just lap it up and thank them for it!:mad:

JangoFart
06-25-2002, 12:02 PM
I noticed that Rebelscum yanked it from their page. Perhaps it is not what we think it is.........

J

SirSteve
06-25-2002, 12:45 PM
The source asked it to be removed because it was a little too early to post.

Rogue II
06-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Well, between the actual TRU store and their website, it shouldn't be too hard to get.

Beast
06-25-2002, 01:08 PM
That's pretty neat looking, but in my opinion they should have dusted off the cancelled 4th 25th Anniversary set, and made that a TRU exclusives instead. The 4th set was supposed to be C-3PO and R2-D2 w/ a Death Star background, but it was dropped. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JangoFart
06-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Steve:

Then that explains why you have not put it on SSG.

Thanks for update!

J

Beast
06-25-2002, 01:42 PM
JF, from what I understand. The person who sent out the pictures and the news, doesn't want the info out there yet. Rebelscum as usual, just ran with the story anyway, and then were asked to take it down, because they weren't supposed to release it yet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
06-25-2002, 01:46 PM
I'll only buy it if I see it. I'm not going bonkers looking for it.

Jargo
06-25-2002, 02:20 PM
I agree with BigBarada. Any old tat and chrome it up. Slap it on a cheap to print monochrome card back and charge the earth for it.

I also agree that a fourth 25th anniversary set of 3PO and R2 would have been much better. provided they weren't metallised in this silly way.

Give Hasbro an inch and they'll take a mile. The more people clamour for this ridiculous metallised crud the more metallised crud hasbro will churn out until the marketplace is swamped and the whole point of them is devalued (not the actual monetary value the aesthetic and historical value) and we end up with the things coming out of our ears like episode one Darth mauls and Obi-Wans forever more.

Is this a global TRU exclusive or just a Stateside one as usual? :rolleyes:

heroclixplayer
06-25-2002, 02:25 PM
The only C3PO and R2D2 i want is the one where R2D2 is hacking into the deathstars dataframe!

Slacker Jedi
06-25-2002, 02:46 PM
I wish they'd do this with every main character from ANH!

Beast
06-25-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Slacker Jedi
I wish they'd do this with every main character from ANH!
What I would have liked to have seen, is if they would have done 6 different sets. And each one being new 25th anniversary sculpts of the very first 12 vintage figures. 1. Luke/Leia, 2. Han/Chewie, 3. Vader/Obi-Wan, 4. C-3PO/R2-D2, 5. Tusken Raider/Jawa, 6. Stormtrooper/Death Squad Commander. They did the first 3, and they were great. The other 3 would have been just as cool. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
06-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Excellent idea. I like the idea of a new sculpt Tusken and Jawa set. And a stormtrooper and Death squad Commander Star trooper set would be magnifico! Yeah, scrap the metallised crud and bring on the 25th anniversary 2-packs! :cool:

LTBasker
06-25-2002, 03:51 PM
That's the reason why they aren't being made - they're great ideas and not-so-bad resculpt ideas. :D

The R2 is kinda interesting looking, but I think it would be better in a set of exclusive figures rather than being alone.

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
JF, from what I understand. The person who sent out the pictures and the news, doesn't want the info out there yet. Rebelscum as usual, just ran with the story anyway, and then were asked to take it down, because they weren't supposed to release it yet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Actually, SirSteve ran a small story with an accompanying picture this morning. He just didn't go into as much speculation as RS did. It's gone now, at any rate.

Forhekset
06-25-2002, 04:42 PM
Hey, now look at what RS posted:

Toys R Us has something special planned for collectors this coming fall. According to a TRU inside source, a store exclusive 25th Anniversary carded R2-D2 is being planned as a FREE giveaway with purchase at Toys R Us stores. The minimum purchase requirement has not yet been determined, but there will be a total of 15,000 pieces made available for this promotion. R2-D2 is metallized and carded in Silver Anniversary fashion similar to Toy Fair Vader. The promotion is anticipated to launch this September.

I would have linked directly to their site, but I know from experience (at home) that their website takes 200 years to load on dial-up and also crashes a couple of different browsers. Free with purchase? That still seems weird somehow. Anyway I think this metallized R2 looks cool and if some of you hate the idea so much, when they offer him to you for free at the register just say "no thank you" and that's more for the rest of us. :D

evenflow
06-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Well, I guess it is a cool. Idea. I hope the TRU by me gets them.

Jargo
06-25-2002, 05:18 PM
Setting an amount on the purchase, a lot of people are going to go out buying stuff they already have to get the figure. That sort of negates the term 'free' really if you have to spend a large amount of cash to get one. They must think we got off the last banana boat or something.
If they give it away with any purchase as long as it's star wars carded figure then that would mean a buy one get one free deal (with a one per customer proviso). that would make more sense to me. But then - hahahaha - I don't work for them do I. :rolleyes: God help them if I did..... :eek:

Yoda'sMaster
06-25-2002, 06:14 PM
that would b a great idea i nominate emperor jargo as toys "r" us's head of command

stormie
06-25-2002, 06:16 PM
Hope the number is higher than 15,000! And I hope they have ways for the foreign collectors (that always get forgotten) and those not near a TRU to get some!

SirSteve
06-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
Steve:

Then that explains why you have not put it on SSG.

Thanks for update!

J

It was on for about 30 min then I had to remove it.

plo koon 200
06-25-2002, 07:02 PM
No wonderwhy I did not see the pic till now. The figure is awesome. I kne abost this sice C2 but never saw the pic. I'm kind of disapointed though because it takes away fro the Toy Fair Darth Vader. However I can't wait to get this puppy. Also there has to be more thgan 15,000 of those or that means only about 20 will come per stor. maybe we have to buy the Arena palyset from them the X-woing, Landspeeder, and Repubic Gunship to get it since they will be out when they offer it at TRU.

Turbowars
06-25-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Great. So, thanks to Toyfair Vader, Hasbro thinks it can grab just any figure, chrome it up, toss it on a plain black card with a Star Wars logo and we'll just lap it up and thank them for it!:mad: You just now figured that out? It's true, we will buy anything that Hasbro makes. We have been doing that from the get go in 95.

Jargo
06-25-2002, 07:38 PM
It amuses me how the argument of "if they didn't do exclusives we wouldn't get ....... figure/ ......... vehicle" frankly, as they're all American exclusives and the rest of the toys are available all over the world, it really makes no difference to ninety percent of us whether they're made or not because we never see them anyway unless we buy from scalpers. TRU is a global company and even then they don't get the stuff in that's exclusive to them.
I really couldn't care less for metallised figures in cheapo packaging with shiny shiny silver "OOOOOOHH - SHINY!!!!" lettering but I do care that stuff like the accessory sets and the cantina sets are US only exclusives. It's a kick in the teeth every time for the faithful global collectors. Our money is just as good as anyone's so why insult us like this? Either hasbro starts shipping globally or stops with the exclusives.

LTBasker
06-25-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
It's a kick in the teeth every time for the faithful global collectors. Our money is just as good as anyone's so why insult us like this? Either hasbro starts shipping globally or stops with the exclusives.

Maybe Hasbro are biggots and this is their way of showing it. Or they're just too cheap to care about people and just care about money - like all other big companies.

I haven't seen one of those "We really DO care!" things in awhile on SW packages... ;)

heroclixplayer
06-25-2002, 10:51 PM
Hasbro(starWars), Jakks pacific(WWE), Wizkids(heroclix), have been making the same toy over and over and over, Maybe a Diffrent accesory here, diffrent paintjob there, I think it's cheap for hasbro, because figures can cost $40,000, plus you have to pay the sculpters. Now step in Hasbro's shoes, See what im saying?

Beast
06-25-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by heroclixplayer
Hasbro(starWars), Jakks pacific(WWE), Wizkids(heroclix), have been making the same toy over and over and over, Maybe a Diffrent accesory here, diffrent paintjob there, I think it's cheap for hasbro, because figures can cost $40,000, plus you have to pay the sculpters. Now step in Hasbro's shoes, See what im saying?
Hasbro normally doesn't just include a new accessory or different paintjob on their figures. The only times that they do stuff like that, is for the occassional exclusive, or army builder variations like on the E1 Battle Droids, POTJ Scout Troopers and upcoming Saga ERS head varient. 99% of the time, for the basic figure line they don't do what you just said. And what figure costs $40,000, or are you refering to a cost for Hasbro to design, sculpt, and produce molds for a figure?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

heroclixplayer
06-25-2002, 11:13 PM
Not exactly Hasbro, i was reading my toyfare and it said thats how much it is to make one

LTBasker
06-26-2002, 02:06 AM
Considering it only costs Wal-Mart $4 per figure, I doubt they'd be that low if they were $40,000 to make.

JediTricks
06-26-2002, 05:09 AM
First off, why did they choose POTJ Naboo R2-D2 w/ permanently angled ankles and non-retractable 3rd leg over CTC R2-D2 w/ Holo Leia? I mean, I personally think very highly of POTJ R2 w/ wheels, it's a nice dome and a fairly cool figure, but come ON! The demand for that CTC R2 is way higher, most collectors seem to think of that as the R2-D2 figure... wait, I just thought of a good reason, POTJ R2 would be much easier to chrome since it has less pieces and less open hollows AND is a good sculpt. Ok, well I'll be glad if I get my mitts on this.

As for the bubble, I'm pretty sure it is a standard "form-fitting" Hasbro-style bubble and tray, but the bubble appears to have been accidentally mashed slightly which makes it look weird in the photo.

gibbspaulus
06-26-2002, 05:54 AM
Well, d@mn the politics of it all. There are loads of guys and girls on these forums crying out for R2 units. Providing we Brits get access I think it'll be great to have a chrome R2 unit. It's naother colour to add to the astromech rainbow.

Jargo
06-26-2002, 06:24 AM
Okay, my ire has subsided and I'm calm again. I like the idea of a 'posh' R2 unit that can be used for senate scenes like TC-14 can with the lovely chrome finish. I agree with JT that there are superior R2' sculpts they could have used. I really don't want to have to pay anything to get one considering it's a giveaway. 15,000 will just about cover some of the States really won't it. So where are the rest for the European marketplace and the Australian marketplace and Asia and Mexico and Africa and....... Seems a little shallow of hasbro to think 15,000 will do all the collectors around the globe.
I could see hasbro UK getting hold of maybe a thousand pieces for distribution which will immediately go to scalper stores who will charge innordinate amounts for them. I can't really see TRU UK getting their mits on them and if they do they'll most likely go out the back door before they get to the cashier desks. I go to one TRU where there's a lovely lady who makes sure the giveaways get given away - providing she has them. No matter what the deal she always asks if I want whatever is on offer. If they've all gone she tells me what I missed - "should have been here yesterday we had .... to give away" If she doesn't say anything I'll know there's something fishy going on.

Yes, after sleeping on it and having very strange dreams all night about star wars toys and mountains of Qui-Gon figures falling on top of me (more of a nightmare really) I woke up and decided that I'd like to own one of these after all. I can use it in my senate scene with a little imagination and nice lighting it'll look ok.
Now who's going to provide the information on where this thing is actually going to be shipped?

Forhekset
06-26-2002, 07:33 AM
Okay, my ire has subsided and I'm calm again. I like the idea of a 'posh' R2 unit that can be used for senate scenes like TC-14 can with the lovely chrome finish. I agree with JT that there are superior R2' sculpts they could have used. I really don't want to have to pay anything to get one considering it's a giveaway. 15,000 will just about cover some of the States really won't it. So where are the rest for the European marketplace and the Australian marketplace and Asia and Mexico and Africa and....... Seems a little shallow of hasbro to think 15,000 will do all the collectors around the globe.
I could see hasbro UK getting hold of maybe a thousand pieces for distribution which will immediately go to scalper stores who will charge innordinate amounts for them. I can't really see TRU UK getting their mits on them and if they do they'll most likely go out the back door before they get to the cashier desks. I go to one TRU where there's a lovely lady who makes sure the giveaways get given away - providing she has them. No matter what the deal she always asks if I want whatever is on offer. If they've all gone she tells me what I missed - "should have been here yesterday we had .... to give away" If she doesn't say anything I'll know there's something fishy going on.

Yes, after sleeping on it and having very strange dreams all night about star wars toys and mountains of Qui-Gon figures falling on top of me (more of a nightmare really) I woke up and decided that I'd like to own one of these after all. I can use it in my senate scene with a little imagination and nice lighting it'll look ok.
Now who's going to provide the information on where this thing is actually going to be shipped?

Jargo, I'm sure one of the American collectors on the forums would be more than happy to try to get an extra for you, if this guy is indeed going to be difficult to get outside of the US. Heck, I'll get you one myself, if you want, and if I can. I honestly cannot count the number of times on this board I've offered to grab extras of figures that people can't get, for one reason or another, and hardly anyone ever takes me up on my offers. So...don't be afraid to just ASK, ok? :)

LTBasker
06-26-2002, 08:13 AM
Hopefully it's actually more than 15,000. It's not a bad figure, I'd like to get multiples of it myself for scenes.

Wolfwood
06-26-2002, 05:17 PM
does anyone know when and where it is due out :) it seems it will be a TRU exclusive from what i read or i may be misinformed :)

El Chuxter
06-26-2002, 05:43 PM
Hopefully a widely available piece--I'm not hip on every figure being metallized, but a chrome astromech can easily find a home in my collection. :D

Jargo
06-26-2002, 06:07 PM
I thought I read it as a TRU exclusive in the fall 'sometime'. Which if I'm not mistaken is the period September - November, roughly. After that it's winter time. :) And thank you guys for the offer. I may very well take you up on it nearer the time. :happy:

Rogue II
06-26-2002, 09:08 PM
There is already one of these things on EBAY. The reserve price is set at $250. The bids were up tp $75 last I checked.

Fools, all of them.

Jedi Juice
06-26-2002, 11:38 PM
I think the metalic R2-D2 is nice looking. Hopefully I can get one of those easier than the Vader.....

plo koon 200
06-27-2002, 12:16 AM
Can someone tell me what is written on the back of the package.
Thanks.

Yoda'sMaster
06-27-2002, 03:13 AM
theres already some poping up on ebay 2day while i was searching for a 12 back r2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1744638408

LTBasker
06-27-2002, 03:20 AM
Talk about stupid. I wouldn't be paying anything to someone with any negatives or neutrals for a figure that he uses a image that isn't his in the auction.

For me it'd have to be all positives (unless there was proof that the reason for complaints weren't his fault) and the picture was an obvious self-taken photo of the actual product.

'Course then again, the only way I'd be buying off of ebay would be if it was below the retail price after shipping, or if it was HTF and just a little above retail price like $2-3.

RooJay
06-27-2002, 05:45 AM
I'd like to bring up a cool little fact I recently realized (forgive me if this has been brought up already...I've been away from the frums for most of the last couple weeks!), next year is the 25th anniversary of the original Kenner vintage line! Wouldn't it be cool (I know this part has been brought up before, but I felt this would be the perfect opportunity to revisit the idea ;)) if Hasbro were to package all new versions of the original 12 Kenner figures on vintage style cards? Resculpted (I know a lot of you don't care much for rescuplts, but bear with me on this one for a moment, and keep in mind that my vision for this line sees it in addition to the regular Saga line kind of like the recent 25th anniversary 2-packs) versions of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Obi Wan, Vader, the Stormtrooper, C-3PO, R2-D2, the Tusken Raider, the Jawa, and the Death Star Trooper done in the highly detailed, more accurate style of today's figures on the black, silver bordered style card of the original Kenner Star Wars line with a large movie photo of the character on the right. No "action features", no gimmicks, no pre-posing, no frills. Just the photo, the figure, and one or two sensible, appropriate accessories, and maybe an unobtrusive 25th anniversary logo somewhere. Perhaps a brief explanation of the history of the line, and how it originally came about (?) somewhere on the cardback for a walk down memory lane. I just miss the old Kenner style packaging so much! Nothing Hasbro has done so far has been able to capture the magic of that old design in my opinion.:( What do you guys think? I'd also like to see Hasbro use the old style package design on the Saga line as well.

SNAYSON
06-27-2002, 09:06 AM
RoooJay

that is not a bad idea.

AS for the R2 TRU exclusive, i 'd pay no more than the retail price (to scene builders: could pass as a different droid since it is not painted in the traditional R2-D2 colors we know him to be in).

SNAYSON
06-27-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Yoda'sMaster
theres already some poping up on ebay 2day while i was searching for a 12 back r2

i can't beleive someone paid $260 for plastic action figure!:crazed:

Forhekset
06-27-2002, 09:59 AM
What a RIPOFF eBay auction.

"This auction is for the very RARE Star Wars Silver R2-D2 figure, exclusive only to Toys R Us stores."

Yeah it's VERY rare, considering it hasn't even been released yet. :rolleyes: $260 plus the seller is charging $10 shipping for USPS priority mail, which only really costs $3.50. What's that other $6.50 for? I really try to avoid bashing people who pay ridiculous amounts of money for stuff on eBay, but this buyer is an idiot.

pthfnder89
06-27-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
What a RIPOFF eBay auction.

"This auction is for the very RARE Star Wars Silver R2-D2 figure, exclusive only to Toys R Us stores."

Yeah it's VERY rare, considering it hasn't even been released yet. :rolleyes: $260 plus the seller is charging $10 shipping for USPS priority mail, which only really costs $3.50. What's that other $6.50 for? I really try to avoid bashing people who pay ridiculous amounts of money for stuff on eBay, but this buyer is an idiot.

I totally agree. He says right there in the auction that it's going to be released at TRU, so why the heck would anyone want to pay 52 TIMES what it will be sold for when it's released in a few months?:rolleyes: Oh well, stupid is as stupid does...:D

Forhekset
07-02-2002, 08:00 AM
Here's some news for you UK guys interested in this thing, from the HasbroJedi site:

"The figure will be available in October. In a similar way to the 25th Anniversary Darth Vader figure this will be made available through a promotional mechanic. The good news is that the quantities will be high so hopefully nobody will miss out. "

"Promotional mechanic"? I can't tell if that's good or bad...wasn't Jorg Sacul supposed to be available through promotions to UK collectors as well, but instead he mostly seems to be showing up at online retailers for $100 or so?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-03-2002, 08:07 AM
The minimum purchase requirement has not yet been determined, but there will be a total of 15,000 pieces made available for this promotion.

Maybe you'll have to buy $25 worth of Star Wars merchandise from TRU and send in the recept.

Jargo
07-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Buggar that for a game of soldiers! I can't be bothered sending any reciept anywhere. Either it's given away instore at point of purchase, or it's not given away at all. It should be any Star Wars purchase not 'spend a months wages just to get a tacky free trinket'. And there is no way on this earth that I am paying anybody anything for something that's a free giveaway gratis nada zip zero nothing toy.

$260... What a sap. :rolleyes: People like that just make it so much harder for the rest of us. Now there's a high price attached to this thing the scalpers will be baying at the moon and we won't see the damn things ever. Or if we do there's no guessing where it'll be and for how much...... :mad:

I'm not really that enthralled with the damn toy, I wouldn't say no to one but I wouldn't go breaking my limbs scrabbling to get one either. It just gets me mad that a simple toy like this gets so inflated in value so quickly by idiots with more money than sense. They just couldn't wait to get their greedy fat trotters on this and possibly ruined it for everyone. Jeez, Hasbro better get the distribution sorted now so there isn't blood on the floors of TRU's across the globe when people can't get one.

Forhekset
07-03-2002, 08:26 AM
Well, I hope at least it will be like, 1 per purchase, so if it's like a free R2 with every $50 SW purchase, some bonehead won't go in there and spend $300 just so he can have 6 of the bloody things. "Idiots with more money than sense"...heh, you just described most of the people who buy stuff on eBay Jargo. :D

Jargo
07-03-2002, 08:35 AM
Sorry, very rude of me. Hope I didn't step on any egos. just felt the need to vent since I'm trying very hard to be nice lately. All this pent up venting is going nowhere and it has to spill out sometimes.

reading your post made me see the sense in setting a high purchase level in order to get one. To discourage hoarders. But this will exclude those with limited budgets who can only afford a couple of figures at most. people like students. There really doesn't appear to be a winning way with this situation. Top and bottom is that if you have the funds you get one and if not tough. Which sucks.

But i guess whatever the level that gets set, there's ging to be some knucklehead going in and buying up tons of stuff just to get them. Like a whole pallette of stuff in unopened boxes just to get their hands on a few stupid figures that aren't even classy or well made. Insanity rules I guess..... :stupid:

Forhekset
07-03-2002, 08:42 AM
Yeah, that's a good point Jargo. I can't remember when I've ever been in TRU and they've actually had enough stuff that I wanted to warrant a $50 purchase....I've bought Transformers there and spent over $50, but their SW selection usually sucks pretty bad in my area. Plus if you're on a budget, you don't want to blow $50 on toys anyway. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out. I really do think that R2 looks cool, but I'm not going to bend over backwards to get one. I'm not a completist or anything.

Who knows, maybe it will even be that you get one free with ANY Star Wars purchase, regardless of how much you spend. That would be too much to ask for though, probably.

SNAYSON
07-03-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Yoda'sMaster

i looked up the buyers feedback to see what else he has bought in the past. this guy bought alot of :eek: of star wars toys way above retail price! I see his location is from japan so i don't know what the star wars distribution is over there but paying 1000% over retail is absolutely ludicrous! There's no justification to shelling out that kind of money for a plastic action figure that will be available soon. Even smart rich people don't spend that kind of money on stuff that will be available (unless you are looking for bragging rights for getting it first :rolleyes: cause you have the money)

I really hope the TRU exclusive R2-D2 is given away at point-of-purchase. I would hate to go throught the hassle of sending in a reciept for this figure! :rolleyes:

DahrJin
07-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Sweet little figure, but looks to me like it's going to be yet another figure, that's a give away, that will fetch a pretty penny for those who sell on Ebay.

Does anyone know the production numbers on this one? I hope they make enough to go around. I'd hate to go to TRU, only to find that the 50 they were given, were gone within seconds of opening the store.:mad:

SNAYSON
07-03-2002, 10:38 AM
someone posted that 15,000 TRU exclusive r2-d2 is being made. I forgot who said it but that is what i read.

Mandalorian30
07-03-2002, 11:01 AM
I've already seem rumors flying arounnd the internet that you are going to have to buy the real-working R2-D2 , which is going to retail at about $100.00!!! I REALLY hope this rumor isn't true!

plo koon 200
07-03-2002, 09:40 PM
That rumor seems to be the msot likeliest scenario.

Jedi Juice
07-03-2002, 11:46 PM
I don't know, but I may actually buy that R2-D2 just because it would be an awesome piece for my collection. Plus it would be an added bonus to get the 25th Anniversary fig too.

DahrJin
07-05-2002, 08:33 AM
I heard that TRU is giving these away to anyone who spends over $100.00.

Looks like I'll be buying a bunch of stuff and returning it the next day, just to have this little silver droid.

LTBasker
07-05-2002, 10:04 AM
$100 for the R2? It ain't worth that. Maybe if it was like a 12-pack of resculpts of the vintage figures in chrome then it'd be worth spending $100 for, but not a single R2.

DahrJin
07-05-2002, 10:15 AM
That's why you go buy $100.00 worth of toys,(even some you already have) and then you get the little silver guy. The next day you take all but the R2 back and get your money back. :)

Then the R2 is FREE!!!!!

jdmarlow
07-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Yeah, but you gotta assume they are going to have some sort of rule against doing that sort of thing. $100?? That's crazy!! Toys "R" Us is putting up prices like Ebay! This is such a huge ploy to get rid of useless stock.

-JD

DahrJin
07-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Some say $100 others $50. Either way, you don't have to take everything back all at once. Take some every other day or what have you. Me, I just might buy up all the figures I've been passing on just to fill some holes.

Well what do you know, those Typhos and Shaak Ti's that have been warmin' the pegs might have a purpose after all. :)

But seriously, I have passed on quite a few figures due to lack of intrest. Like the many Jangos, Plo Koon, Sae Sae Tinn, Anakin OPD, Padme, and the rest, so this promotion gives me a solid reason to pick 'em up and get the 25th R2 as a bonus.

Any way you look at it, these are going to find their way to ebay the second they are released. I'm sure if you look, someone's already hawking 'em there anyway.

I'd rather pay the $50 or even $100 and be sure to get one(MAYBE) and get some hole fillers in the process. If I take $100 dollars worth of toys to the counter and they don't have anymore R2's, I'm telling them I changed my mind and I'll leave everything in the kart.

I'd rather take my chances at TRU versus running around stressing about how I'm going to get my hands on one without paying TOYFAIR Vader/Jorg Sacul prices on ebay. Much the same as I did with the Vader. Finally got a Vader thanks to a good friend, and have yet to get a Sacul. Don't know if I ever will at this point.

jdmarlow
07-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by DahrJin

I'd rather take my chances at TRU versus running around stressing about how I'm going to get my hands on one without paying TOYFAIR Vader/Jorg Sacul prices on ebay. Much the same as I did with the Vader. Finally got a Vader thanks to a good friend, and have yet to get a Sacul. Don't know if I ever will at this point.

True...just like everybody else. That will be the problem. With only 15,000 produced this R2 will cause some commotion in Toys "R" Us's around America.

-JD

Hellboy
07-05-2002, 08:55 PM
I could be totally off on this but I've got a feeling that this exclusive will be given away to those who buy the voice activated R2-D2 that retails for about $120. It's supposed to be out around that time and the fact that they're both R2 makes sense to me.

SuperBattleDroid88
07-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Information here on the R2...
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=380

StoneyFett
07-06-2002, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure if someone reported this, but it is a TRU exclusive. They will be making enough to go around. You should recieve one with a $25-$35 purchase, starting in October (I think):)

stillakid
07-06-2002, 11:38 AM
R2-D2 Silver Anniversary figure will be available through Toy's "R" Us as a promotional item. You have to buy $25-$35 (they were not exactly sure) to get one AND the low quantity that has been posted on the internet is incorrect. Hasbro said everyone that wants one, should be able to get one.

This is a good idea on how to keep scalplers from hording, well, anything. Make a special item only available by purchasing another $20 - $30 worth of non-returnable items. Sure, some lunatics would go ahead and get 10 R2's and would try to mark up each unit to cover the overall cost, but I gotta believe that for the most part, the scalpers would just leave it alone rather than be stuck with a ton of unwanted figures.

Jedi Juice
07-06-2002, 12:26 PM
True, and if what Hasbro says is correct, that anyone who wants an R2 should be able to get one, than that will place the "scalpers" out of buisness. The scalpers will not be able to make any profit off something that no one needs because they were able to get the fig on their own.

Slacker Jedi
07-06-2002, 01:03 PM
Ah, BUT if the exclusive silver R2 is only available in the U.S. (and at this point it looks that way), then there's still going to be tons of them on eBay, because collectors overseas will be *dying* to get 'em. Right?

LTBasker
07-06-2002, 01:09 PM
I'm sure alot of peeps will be happy to trade overseas. Afterall, the Gunship and Arena are $40, I'm sure they'll be flying off the shelves, that's $40 so that's an easy free R2 figure. Alot of people could get extras they don't need and end up trading them.

jdmarlow
07-06-2002, 08:09 PM
$25-$35? That will be nicer than $100, surely. So how many will everybody be getting? Since you can only get one at a time, I'm curious to see how many people on this thread will be buying 5-10+, and who will settle for just one or two (one to open, one to save). I would even suggest a pole for this topic.

Rogue II
07-06-2002, 08:28 PM
I will only get 1. I doubt I will be able to find 5-7 figures I want. Hopefully, I will be able to get it with the Landspeeder or X-Wing.

KIDD
07-06-2002, 10:39 PM
i talked to the hasbro guy here today in chicago at the wizard convention and he told me it will be released middle to late august and will be given away with a 25 to 40 dollar purchase

BillyJAck
07-06-2002, 11:17 PM
But will there be plenty to go around? Will they be all all tru's? or will they only be a flagship stores only? i don't live in a big city but we have a tru so i hope we can get them.... :( Did they say when ephant mon is getting released?

stad
07-06-2002, 11:48 PM
They can't be that rare, the guy on eBay has already sold 7 of them!

Jedi Juice
07-07-2002, 02:19 AM
I guess the ebay has to be pre-orders, although he must be banking on buying alot of Star Wars merchandise to get 7 R2's.

Turbowars
07-07-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by BillyJAck
But will there be plenty to go around? Will they be all all tru's? or will they only be a flagship stores only? i don't live in a big city but we have a tru so i hope we can get them.... :( Did they say when ephant mon is getting released? I'm sure that people that live way out in the sticks will get one. Hey everyone, look out for BillyJack, he threatened some of the members here and at a few other sites. Don't make him mad, or the LBC will be after you.

Uriarte69
07-07-2002, 09:49 AM
Anyone know if they'll be available on tru.com???

StoneyFett
07-07-2002, 01:13 PM
I stand corrected on the release date. I will probably only get one, if I'm lucky enough to even get that. I will probably pick up the ATST walker w/ ewok on speeder. ;)

Slacker Jedi
07-07-2002, 01:28 PM
The ATST is still out? Here it sold out within days...

Jargo
07-07-2002, 03:36 PM
Hasbro UK say it's going to be available over here a little later than October if I recall properly. So that makes a purchase for us of 12 - 22 if the requisite purchase figure is staying equal. So that's two carded figures or the jedi starfighter or a couple of deluxe figures and a craptacular notebook with the SW logo on it.

Not that much really. I don't have the starfighter so I could combine buying that with getting a silvered R2 and it wouldn't be getting anything extra that I wasn't going to get anyway. But then again it's down to how hasbro UK distribute the things. I'll have to chat up Beryl my friendly TRU cashier. She always makes sure I get the giveaways. She made sure I got the SAGA figure poster and went through about 100 to make sure I got one that wasn't creased. She's a star. :)
I think hasbro got the message that a lot of people felt cheated by the TOYFAIR Vader thing and the Jorg Sacul thing and this time they want as many people as possible that want the exclusive to get it. The produced numbers will likely be really high and a hell of a lot more than a measly 15,000. I think Hasbro tried to do the best they could for us with this. I rag on them a lot but this time I'm backing off. Provided the UK does indeed get a fair share.

DahrJin
07-08-2002, 08:51 AM
I only want one. What would I do with 5-10+ little silver R2's?

I'm glad to see the price of purchase is down to $25-$35 or what ever. That's way better than $100. A little more affordable.

I can't wait to see how many clowns buy one on ebay, for who knows how much $$$$$, before they even try to get one with a $25 purchase. Greedy little buggars.

jdmarlow
07-11-2002, 07:05 AM
I usually like to pick up at least 2, but no more than 3. My brother and I share a collection so we each like to have one. Plus one extra couldn't hurt in case I see Kenny Baker walking down the street and I want an autograph.

Jargo
07-11-2002, 01:50 PM
You see Kenny often........? :stupid:

2-1B
07-11-2002, 03:06 PM
A dealer had one at Wizard for $300. :rolleyes: The $125 Sacul suddenly seemed like a good deal. :D

R2 - he's a neat lookin' piece, and if I can find the gunship around that time, I'll definitely spring the cash to get one. Or two. ;)

icatch9
07-11-2002, 03:14 PM
jdmarlow, don't forget to carry a silver pen with ya :)

Jedi Juice
07-11-2002, 03:39 PM
I found this story from RTM, toymania.com. I thought everyone interested in the R2 would like to know this:

"July 10, 2002 - A little birdie has let RTM know two things of interest to collectors about the upcoming Toys'R'Us exclusive Silver Anniversary R2-D2 action figure...

1. While $25 has been mentioned several times as the minimum purchase requirement to receive the R2-D2 figure, no dollar amount has officially been set yet. So while it could very well be $25, it could also be $100. The birdie pointed out that $100 would make sense, because that is the price range on the R2-D2 Interactive Astromech Droid, which is due out in August, the same time frame as the Silver R2 giveaway.

2. You know all those eBay auctions for the Silver R2-D2? Toys'R'Us has contacted the sellers in the "on hand" auctions and asked them to remove their listings. (If the auctions were for "presales" it is a different matter.) No one should have one yet, as Toys'R'Us has not released any, nor has Hasbro. Interestingly, as of the afternoon of July 10th, not a single seller has replied to Toys'R'Us."

Darth Nitwit
07-11-2002, 03:44 PM
I can't wait to get this R2. I don't have the opportunities to get most of the special figures, so I just can't wait!

jdmarlow
07-11-2002, 07:11 PM
You see Kenny often........? :stupid:

Are you kidding? I see Kenny all the time. We are good friends.

and then I wake up....

Beast
07-29-2002, 05:02 AM
Updated News From Rebelscum:

Toys "R" Us Silver R2 Update
Philip: Here's an update Tim received from Guest Relations at Toys "R" Us when he asked them for info on their anticipated Silver R2-D2...

Dear Tim,

Thank you for inquiring about our Star Wars R2-D2 25th Anniversary figure.

This promotion will occur sometime in October of this year. Please be assured that Toys "R" Us will have enough of the figure at each store to ensure that there is a sufficient supply for our guests.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Sincerely,
Anastasia Bellos
Guest Relations Supervisor

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Chiesa
07-29-2002, 06:04 AM
Hey there... I would defintely love to get my hands on one of those cool R2D2s... But I'm not in the states... So any idea that other countries like Australia or Singapore may have it in our TRUs?? Arghhh if not I may have to seek sculpers on eBay :( Help.... :cry:

Cheers :)

Mandalorian Candidat
07-29-2002, 02:19 PM
So is this R2 going to be articulated, including a retractable third leg?

RooJay
07-29-2002, 03:24 PM
Updated News From Rebelscum:

Please be assured that Toys "R" Us will have enough of the figure at each store to ensure that there is a sufficient supply for our guests.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Sincerely,
Anastasia Bellos
Guest Relations Supervisor

I remember hearing something to that effect before with Jorg Sacul. Even though I didn't go to CII, and couldn't have gotten one anyway, I remember hearing lots of promises beforehand that there would definitely be enough for anyone who attended that wanted one, only to hear a multitude of reports that this just wasn't so.

DahrJin
07-29-2002, 03:43 PM
I heard the same things.

I guess it all depends on just how many go out the "BACK DOOR" before they are to be given away to customers.

thespar
07-29-2002, 04:51 PM
if i can get one one after only spending $25 i guess i will finally break down and buy some of the vechiles or one of the beast that i do not own.

Turbowars
07-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Hasblow is full of crap! I'll believe it when I see it. Hey JarJar, it's funny that you would post a update from RS, I mean you disaprove of the site so much, why would you even go there? Double standards me thinks, Oh my God I can't believe I said that!;)..........................................H ey on the weekend at TRU, I asked a district manager about this R2 and he had no clue what I was talking about, so I saw no point in asking him where the 3rd and 4th comic is. Just think if some of us worked there, the stores would make more money just on our knowlege

Beast
07-29-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Hasblow is full of crap! I'll believe it when I see it. Hey JarJar, it's funny that you would post a update from RS, I mean you disaprove of the site so much, why would you even go there? Double standards me thinks, Oh my God I can't believe I said that!;)..........................................H ey on the weekend at TRU, I asked a district manager about this R2 and he had no clue what I was talking about, so I saw no point in asking him where the 3rd and 4th comic is. Just think if some of us worked there, the stores would make more money just on our knowlege
I never said I didn't go there for info, or for to "borrow" pictures to post here. So nice of you to attack me for posting info here, to inform people that don't visit that site. Don't you have somthing better to do, then pop back up and cause more trouble? Oh wait, I forgot who I'm talking to. :rolleyes: :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
07-29-2002, 05:44 PM
Attack you! Dude you have no clue do you? In no way was that an attack on you. I simply asked why would you post somthing from RS if you don't like the site? I'm sure everyone here is able to visit RS without your help. Back off and just ignore what I have to say. Does that sound like a plan. Hey why don't you come over to RS LA just found an talk to your buddies. I'm sure you are welcome. HEHE. No but really back off and maybe things can go smoothly.

Beast
07-29-2002, 06:07 PM
Attack you! Dude you have no clue do you? In no way was that an attack on you. I simply asked why would you post somthing from RS if you don't like the site? I'm sure everyone here is able to visit RS without your help. Back off and just ignore what I have to say. Does that sound like a plan. Hey why don't you come over to RS LA just found an talk to your buddies. I'm sure you are welcome. HEHE. No but really back off and maybe things can go smoothly.
Actually, you are incorrect. Rebelscum's front page is so slow, that for many people including BigBarada it takes ages for the page to load. And many people don't go there at all. So, if I see information that is useful to the community, I will post it here. I could care less and have no problems with anyone in the RS LA JF forums. I only posted there, because you came here once before, caused a bunch of problems, and then went back there and was making up a bunch of rubbish. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-29-2002, 06:12 PM
Even with cable it's slow loading.

I don't see the big deal, it's just news, the point is to circulate it through the collector community.

stad
07-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Let's complain about something.

SuperBattleDroid88
07-29-2002, 07:37 PM
It's pretty fast for me...

Darth forb1us
07-29-2002, 09:39 PM
hehe, such drama :p
Well, being that I do need an xwing, and a gunship, plus I still need to get reek (shelf warmer from hades) I will take my minimum through the line, get my r2, and have my girlfriend take a 2nd "minimum purchase" through, and get another one.
Its cool looking, it's also somewhat of a waste, and no way will I be going out of my mind for one. Perhaps if the guy ahead of me gets the last one, I might knock him out cold and take it.. but we'll have to see on that :stupid: :D :crazed:

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
So is this R2 going to be articulated, including a retractable third leg? No on the retractable 3rd leg, they're using the POTJ Naboo R2-D2 body, the one with the wheels - no articulated ankles either. It should be articulated at both "hips" and at the dome and that's it, unless you count the rolling wheels (which I doubt ;)).

LTBasker
07-30-2002, 12:03 AM
I think I may end up with more 25th Anniv R2's than I actually want if I get the fleet of X-wings that I want. Good trade fodder, can't wait to get it. :cool:

DahrJin
07-30-2002, 09:09 AM
I just want one for the sheer coolness factor. Just like the TF Vader. It's all about the novelty baby. It's just plain fun! :)

I'm not going to beat myself, or anyone else, on the head if I don't happen to get one. Besides that's why I visit SW boards, to make friends that can help out with things like this. ;)

Jargo
07-30-2002, 03:47 PM
It's funny how your opinion can change. I started off hating the very notion of this droid and then I saw some light and realised how it could be useful in certain scenarios. Now I find myself having placed a pre-order for the thing. I know I ranbled on about how it should be free and all but since the other day i got to thinking about how cool it would look stood next to my TC-14 and I thought that maybe the UK might not get any at TRU or they might not get many and i thought well, it's just the same cost to me as a deluxe figure.....
And of course if TRU UK do get them in I'll go buy some army builders or a vehicle or something and get the free one too. I've done a complete turnaround on my opinion here but I'm man enought to admit defeat on this.
I still think the metallised vader sucks though.

Beast
07-30-2002, 03:53 PM
I agree with you there, Jargo. The chromed R2-D2 can be used just as a regular R2 unit. I am sure that if they have silver and gold 3PO units in the Star Wars universe, that it's possible for there to be silver and gold astromechs also. Good idea of putting him next to TC-14. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-30-2002, 04:56 PM
I'm thinking of making an attachment for mine like the drinks tray R2 had in Jabba's sail barge.

Also, I was just thinking today as I walked my dog, how cool a gold R2 would be. Even if it just had a gold dome and gold paint details but a regular plastic body.

RaptorMCSE
07-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know a release date?, I have called the 3 TRU in my area and they all say that they know nothing about this promotion. Thanks for any help

Beast
07-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RaptorMCSE
Does anyone know a release date?, I have called the 3 TRU in my area and they all say that they know nothing about this promotion. Thanks for any help
Read back a couple pages. But to answer your question, Rebelscum is reporting that TRU plans to have the promotion occur in October. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=146760#post146760

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperor Howdy
09-25-2002, 10:18 PM
The main page posted that one was found in Spain. The guy said it cost $23.99 (or something) Euros. I thought this was a freebie if you spent 30 or 40 bucks. Hmmmmm.... :zzz:

Beast
09-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Maybe they don't allow freebies like that in Spain, who knows. As far as I know the plans for the US still say that you get it with a $20-$40 purchase of Hasbro Star Wars product. I think they should offer it with the DVD on Nov. 12, but things arn't set in stone yet for the Silver R2-D2. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sidiously Darth
09-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Here we go again. A thread about a subject that already has a thread. I'm sure this one and the other will soon meet and merge into one mighty thread.:D

As for the topic, I guess we'll have to wait until they show up in the states.

Jedi Master Silas
10-16-2002, 07:52 PM
Anyone else heard that if you reserve a copy of EP2 from TRU you get the Silver TRU R2 exclusive?????

Turbowars
10-16-2002, 08:21 PM
I thought that was BS.

Prince Xizor
10-16-2002, 08:36 PM
I haven't heard that. It does sound like BS.

Lord Tenebrous
10-16-2002, 08:43 PM
If the timeline of AOTC's release and the R2 promotional coincide, then you could use that as part of the purchase value. But reserves are usually only a quarter of the cost, so that alone wouldn't secure it.

But I've seen stranger things. I figure we'll see a list of qualifying merchandise before the promotional begins, and that will settle the issue. :)

Jedi Master Silas
10-16-2002, 08:55 PM
The cashier at TRU told me he was sure it was the R2....I'll give him hell if thats not true.

From what he said you get it when you come to pick up your copy of EP2. I'm not to happy with my TRU anyway so they better live up to what they say.

Turbowars
10-17-2002, 07:09 PM
After asking a Manager at TRU about the Silver R2, he told me today that they got them in, but they gave them all away! I asked when and he said last week somtime. Either he's a moron, or I'm crazy. Before I said R2, he said oh the Silver little guy,so he knew what I meant. I hope he's full of BS!

Jedi Drew
10-18-2002, 08:26 AM
Hey Turbo, maybe they all went out the back door to his scalper friends. :eek: :eek: I have a feeling with this figure this will be happening. Can any TRU employees give us a heads up on this promo??????

Old Fossil
10-18-2002, 09:10 AM
Maybe next we'll see a metallized Slave Leia. Sexy...

Or a chrome Jango Fett would make a nice display piece.

Or a chrome Muftak for the top of my Christmas tree.

Old Fossil
10-18-2002, 09:13 AM
God, I am SO bored.

DahrJin
10-18-2002, 09:14 AM
What we need is a chromed version of the 300th Fett.

Now that would be worth getting...Christmas tree ornament or not.:D

Rogue II
10-21-2002, 01:59 PM
Has there been a confirmed release date and amount you have to spend to get this R2 yet?

The last I heard, you had to spend $20-25 to get it, but that was a rumor.

Turbowars
10-21-2002, 05:35 PM
????? TRU ???? Clueless???? I Have asked every manager and most don't even know what I'm talking about. I thought it was confirmed that we had to spend $20. Hell who knowssss

darth chuck
10-22-2002, 11:44 AM
I don't know if this is true or not, but thought you guys might be interested. My wife called a TRU in Louisville and asked about the R2. The gentleman that she spoke to said that the R2 was going to be a give-away promotional on the day after Thanksgiving to anyone who purchased $50 or $100 worth of star wars merchandise - he wasn't sure which.

Prince Xizor
10-22-2002, 12:14 PM
$50 - $100!! That's absolutely nuts!

Vortex
10-22-2002, 01:00 PM
Well here's more fuel for the fire on the R2.

I went into my local down the street TRU on sunday afternoon (oct 20th) and my old stock room manager is the new manager, so we shot the b.s. and I brought up the silver R2.

He went into the office and pulled out some info. He had listed as an initial release date of Oct. 19th. And this message was sent to them back in August or early Sept. And of course there was no additional information following that cept it was a promotional piece. Of course there were zero R2's on any of the trucks, and Mark (manager) hadn't gotten any more information about them yet, nor has he even seen one. Even the stores are in the dark, or at least my local one is. Mark has been at TRU for at least 10+ years and he's outta the loop on this one too.

He had zero information about price or what promotional piece it goes with, and he doesn't have a soild release date yet either.
Mind you its the end of oct and if they were to arrive in nov like everyone is guessing, I would have thought more information would be out. It is sort of logical that it would be out for x-mas shopping but has anything been out when it was scheduled to be yet? Arena was late, Gunship was late, landspeeder was late.

Take it for what its worth. But that's what I got from my TRU source...not a $#*%ing thing.

Rogue II
10-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Its good to know that Hasbro and Toys R Us have their stuff together going into the holiday season. Thanks tjovonovich.:D

Turbowars
10-22-2002, 05:44 PM
Man, I have a feeling most of these are going right out the back door;(

Vortex
10-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Man, I have a feeling most of these are going right out the back door;(

Probably. Mark said he'd hang onto a couple for me. Odds are I won't have to buy $XX worth of junk I already have. Its so much easier for them to say "Sorry, we're out".

Beast
10-23-2002, 09:40 AM
Someone finally has confirmed news about when and how much you'll have to spend to get one of these. This info is from Rebelscum. :)

TRU Silver R2 - The Word Is Out
Jeremy: From our source:

"I am a Toys R Us manager in the South and it will hit on the Big Book ad on the Nov 2nd or so. It will be free with a 19.99 purchase of anything SW. limited to one per guest per visit, so stock up. Our DC ( distribution center) services 108 stores and they are getting over 7,000 then have open orders for 8,000 and that just one DC..there's around 8 or so in the USA..maybe rare at first but cool off after. will keep you posted on other goings on."

So there you have it - in just one week he will be hitting US shelves.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Drew
10-23-2002, 09:59 AM
Yestertoys has them for $35.00 but I'll wait till next week IF and WHEN they ship to TRU. HH :D

Vortex
10-23-2002, 10:01 AM
Someone finally has confirmed news about when and how much you'll have to spend to get one of these. This info is from Rebelscum. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yea I read that too this morning and I'll believe it when I see it. I can only hope its true.

I'll have to stop in this week or next at my local TRU and see if they got the same thing.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed.

wicket5
10-23-2002, 10:16 AM
It's correct stores just received the big book this week (they normally gets ads in the store a week or tewo in advance) that is why it just came out sounds right.

Vortex
10-23-2002, 10:34 AM
Ok, so logically looking at it, that means that all the TRU stores should have trucks with pallet loads of boxes with just R2 figures rolling in late this week or early next week if its going to stick to its advertising, and for once, actually have what their ads say they do.

We can only hope at the same time they get boxes of the new figs or we'll be speding 20 bucks on old peg warmers.

Beast
10-23-2002, 10:46 AM
It's to bad that it won't be on the 12th when the DVD comes out, but I guess I can pick myself up a Republic Gunship or the Flipping Figures that I have been putting off on buying. Or maybe I can actually find the damn Landspeeder that day. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
10-23-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

We can only hope at the same time they get boxes of the new figs or we'll be speding 20 bucks on old peg warmers.

Hopefully my plan will work out...I've actually have been putting off buying the Landspeeder so I could get the R2. Right now, the only figures I need to get are Ephant Mon and Endor Soldier (no goatee).