PDA

View Full Version : Lilo & Stitch is great!

darthvyn
06-25-2002, 12:38 PM
Very cute, very good message, but it doesn't really hit you over the head with it, did a good job of making stitch look weird and cute, that kind of ugly-cute... and finally, the main characters don't start singing all the time!!! i thank the iron giant for that... it showed a bunch of people that animated doesn't necessarily mean musical...

and there are some REALLY hillarious take-you-by-surprise funny moments. now, i'm not an uptight guy, but i generally don't find that many things to lol at in disney films. if i was already on the floor, i would have been rolling on it for some of these moments. go see it. now.

bigbarada
06-25-2002, 12:43 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Iron Giant, as that is one of my favorite animated films. I got the impression that Lilo & Stitch was Disney's take on an ET/Iron Giant kind of thing. Hearing your review makes me want to see it that much more.:)

Jonna
06-25-2002, 12:44 PM
I'll probably go and see it. Not that I really like Disney films at all, but it just looks quirky and the comercials where he ****es off all of the other Disney characters gave me a good laugh.

It looks like a cute date movie also.:D

darthvyn
06-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
It looks like a cute date movie also.:D

yeah, it is good for that...

i loved the commercials as well... i don't know about the rest of you, but i saw the lion king one as a preview before my midnight showing of clones... at first i was like, what in the hell is going on here... and then i was pleasantly and hilariously surprised.

Darth Shifty
06-25-2002, 01:51 PM
I just saw it last night. (date movie - you got that right, Jonna) It was much better than I expected. I was anticipating 90 minutes of another craptacularly cutesy disney movie, but this was very good - at a couple points it was hilarious. Definately recommended to all in the forum.

QLD
06-26-2002, 01:09 AM
I may be alone, but I miss the Disney musicals. Most of them were good. I can't remember the last one that WAS a musical. Mulan? Somewhere around there. But I guess I appreciate musicals, so I always appreciated the Disney animated musicals.

But I also enjoy animated movies that aren't. I wouldn't mind seeing this one, but for some reasons, the ads didn't make me really want to go.

JediTricks
06-26-2002, 03:40 AM
My sister said the emotional part of the story is really cheap tear-jerker material, stuff heavy-handedly put in there to use your emotions for the story's purpose rather than having honest emotional content - and this made her hate the film. This left me concerned enough to wait and see what others said, any thoughts?

I think Disney used to make good musicals, but in the '70s, they lost the touch. Once in a while, they're still able to pull it off, but when they start churning them out year after year, you can feel the lack of time, patience, and experience in choosing the best material to represent the Disney brand. Another problem IMO is that Disney can make good animated comedies and good animated musicals, but rarely seems to have the knack for pulling off both. After all these awful "direct to video" sequels of their classics and neo-classics, I think the Mouse needs to get a grip on reality.

Eternal Padawan
06-26-2002, 07:55 AM
Those direct to video abominations are atrocious.

I think Disney got a second wind in the 90's with the animated musicals. Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Mulan, and Tarzan were all excellent animated musicals. I think Disney execs got nervous and confused with the invent of CGI cartoons and a deluge of competition from WB, Fox, and Dreamworks animated movies, so instead of doing thier own thing and being a trendsetter, they are madly rushing in seven different directions at once, trying to play catch up and not getting anything accomplished.

As for Lilo and Stitch. I went in to watch bits and pieces during work and was laughing out loud. I agree with JT's sister's assessment over darthvyn's about the heavy handed approach. the moral message hits with all the subtlety of a jackhammer: OHANA means FAMILY... but the rapid fire jokes and Stitch's unpredictable behavior ( I choked from laughing when he threw the book at the guy.) make this a funny film.

I also liked the trailer for Treasure Planet. It looks like Titan AE done correctly.

Obi-Don
06-26-2002, 08:35 AM
I plan on taking my kids to see this movie. I think it will be a good movie after seeing the previews.

bigbarada
06-26-2002, 09:25 AM
Question for those of you who thought the emotional part was heavy-handed: Did you feel the same way about the end of Iron Giant?

El Chuxter
06-26-2002, 10:18 AM
I can't wait to see this one--something about an animated alien impersonating Elvis and hula dancing looks like it's right up my alley. :D

Out of curiosity, darthvyn (or anyone else who's seen it, for that matter), are the "take you by surprise" funny moments as shocking for a Disney flick as the "Voulez vous coochay avec--" SMACK! bit from Atlantis?

Darth Shifty
06-26-2002, 11:50 AM
I don't think the emotional part was heavy-handed at all. It seems to me that alot of the Disney films are a bit corny during the emotional parts. They just had to do this one a little differently because it's not a period movie, it's present day. So they had to make the theme and situation's somewhat contemporary. The main theme in the film is about "family" and I thought it fit perfectly.

QLD
06-26-2002, 12:20 PM
I agree with EP. I think all of Disney's musicals were great until Mulan. I didn't care for Tarzan though.

But I think Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King are the best movies they have made. Heck, I have the soundtrcks for all of them.

They are trying to do too many things at once, and not really succeeding at any of them. I wish they would stick with their formula that worked, and just deviate occasionally.

I wasn't going to go see this movie, but I may now, since most of you think it was OK.

darthvyn
06-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I can't wait to see this one--something about an animated alien impersonating Elvis and hula dancing looks like it's right up my alley. :D

Out of curiosity, darthvyn (or anyone else who's seen it, for that matter), are the "take you by surprise" funny moments as shocking for a Disney flick as the "Voulez vous coochay avec--" SMACK! bit from Atlantis?

uh... didn't see it. shocking? yes... some of them are pretty shocking. not sexually, as the above statement seems to be, but just like "holy crap, did that actually happen?" definitely some laugh so hard you lose your breath stuff...

as for the emotional parts... they arent' just stuck in there... the movie as a whole has a good message. they are heavy, not heavy handed.

as for musicals. i don't not enjoy musicals, i just don't think all animation has to be musical. somewhere along the line animation picked up the stigma of being for children. now, while it is very useful in that capacity, there is much more that can be done with it. it's like the stigma around comics. for nearly six decades comics have been lauded as "kid's stuff" while for about three decades now there has been so much mature content in comics. i'm not talking about sex and violence, but true complexity of characterization, intriguing plot lines, intelligent writing, and beautiful artwork. i'm okay that kiddie comics exist. i also realize that they can be much more. i just don't see that amount of respect for either medium very much.

wedgeA
06-26-2002, 08:44 PM
I lived in Honolulu almost all my life, and I was wondering how you folks felt Hawaii was portrayed in the movie. Did it seem to be a realistic place? It looks terribly corny, romanticized, and patronizing in the film, and I have avoided seeing it so far.

And yes, we are a state.

SQueek
06-26-2002, 11:32 PM
my girl dragged me to it but i ended up liking it, best part os the tourist who never gets his icecream

Master Goeweins
06-27-2002, 10:13 AM
I thought this movie was fantastic. I don't think they did any disfavors to Hawaii... they used watercolors for all the background plates to bring out the lush colors of Hawaii's flora. The story was great, Stitch was not only histarical but so well done that you could believe all of his emotions. And believe me, his emotions are what makes the majority of this film work. The little girl is right in there as well.

I for one think that Disney's apex was The Lion King. Mulan and Tarzan were good, but downhill from Lion King, and anything after Tarzan is largely forgettable. It's nice to see Disney take a chance with a story. My only complaint, is that Disney greats are usually timeless. The stories are set in a time, but the language and feeling carry through to all generations. Mermaid, Beast, & Lion King. Lilo & Stitch seemed a little heavy on contemporary. Not that I am complaining, I loved it. I just wonder how it will sit with the others over time. Legends title or not?

Either way it is a must see.

wedgeA
06-27-2002, 03:48 PM
MG,

Thanks I'll probably catch it once the crowds die down.

Eternal Padawan
06-28-2002, 07:41 AM
That's funny, MG, I've always watched Disney's "timeless" animated movies and could see a direct reflection of popular culture at the time it was made. 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Robin Hood, etc all have very distinct timely personalities, from their animation style to the dialogue in the film. (Daddy-o?). The same holds true for the more recent ones of the 90's. Aladdin was a hotbed of popular culture in jokes, but the there are plenty of other "current" references in the other movies as well. It reflects our constantly changing culture to sit down and watch the films in the order of their release. It's a blast, too!

Master Goeweins
06-28-2002, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. When I watch Robin Hood today (One of my personal favorites) I don't even hear any of the cultural things, they just blend into the story I am watching. So, while Lilo & Stitch looks contemporary today, tomorrow it will probably just stand as an incredibly fun story! Good point Eternal Padawan.

Jonna
07-02-2002, 12:58 PM
So I finally saw it and I must say that it was quite good. I really didn't care for the ending though. I mean noone is going to notice all these aliens living on earth?

Darth Shifty
07-02-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
So I finally saw it and I must say that it was quite good. I really didn't care for the ending though. I mean noone is going to notice all these aliens living on earth?

Don't you live in Jersey, Jonna?

Jonna
07-02-2002, 01:12 PM
HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!! Good point!

Darth Shifty
07-02-2002, 01:19 PM
Just kidding (to a point:D) Almost all of my family lives in Jersey and New York. My dad grew up in Newark and he has an endless supply of Jersey jokes.

El Chuxter
07-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Great movie! I can't think of a single bad part to it. I think it ranks with Lion King, Dinosaur, and Atlantis among my personal favorites.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-09-2002, 09:30 PM
I just saw it this afternoon with my kids and I had a good time. It was a good movie with an interesting plot. Not as good as BatB or Aladdin or even Lion King but close. It's a big refresher after the crap Disney's been putting out like those jacked up straight-to-video dealies (anyone see the SNL parody of Bambi 2000?) or crummy flicks like Hunchback.

Stitch was great and really off-the-wall. It's spontaneity made for some good laughs (how he gets out of that prison ship is really ingenious). I like how they used a non-traditional Disney beauty queen protagonist. What bugged me though is how the animators drew many of the Hawaiian girls the same. Maybe they were trying to save money by just duplicating the same figure, but it hit me as "they all just look alike." At least they were speaking normal English and not something stereotypical like pidgeon english.

I recommend this movie. Really good for families. I don't recall any cheesy potty humor or anything uncomfortable. The music was great and so was the animation. Some weak plot points (they made too much out of Ohana) but good nonetheless.

El Chuxter
07-23-2002, 12:22 PM
I saw it again last night (I'd promised my niece we'd see a movie, and Powerpuff Girls had vanished into oblivion) and it was even better the second time!

Did everyone notice the Mulan Wok? :D

Also, all the cars and trucks had the license plate A113. A minor adjustment and it's 113A, which sounds like 1138. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Eternal Padawan
09-04-2002, 09:18 AM
They just brought this back to my moivemovie theatre. September's a slow month, so they're bringing back some old stand-bys from earlier this summer. Next week we get Spider-Man back also.

"I'm lost!"

ROLLO!

El Chuxter
09-09-2002, 04:48 PM
So, what's up with the one-disc only release in December? I've not been able to find anything about a special collector's edition. By gum, if Tarzan had a 2-disc collector's edition, Lilo and Stich definitely deserves one!

JarJarBinks, you haven't come across anything that I've not seen perchance, have you?

JesusFreak
09-09-2002, 05:12 PM
In an interview with someone (I think the director) the guy said something about a certain scene being inserted into the limited edition dvd they would release next year, I'll try to find the link

Edit: Here's the part of the interview where they said it...

"Are there any deleted scenes that were hard for you to cut out?",

both directors reveals that "There were a lot that were either completely changed or we had to remove because of lack of time. Some of these you'll be able to see on the limited edition DVD that will be coming out some time after the initial DVD release."

Have they started work on a Special Edition DVD yet?

"Yes and no. We will be doing new filming soon but we have a lot of the material that will be included already compiled." Confusing since the single-disc edition will already include deleted scenes and new animation... but this one came from the horse's mouth yesterday.

There you have it!