PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Tatooine Ghost

Beast
06-25-2002, 05:18 PM
Looks like the Star Wars novels are getting back on track, so instead of just all NJO dreck, we are going to get some stories from shortly after the formation of the New Republic. This one sounds pretty intresting, hopefully the book is as good as the teaser. :)

The past haunts Princess Leia as she looks forward to an uncertain future. The four-year old New Republic continues to grow, as does Leia's love for her husband, Han Solo. But despite his wants, Leia is determined not to have children, for fear of the uncertainty of the Skywalker bloodline.

An artifact from Alderaan containing secret codes used by the New Republic resurfaces at a shady Mos Espa auction, and Han and Leia voyage to Tatooine to secure it. While on the desert planet, Leia finds evidence of her father's past that cause her to rethink some of her firmest held beliefs.

Tatooine Ghost, a new hardcover novel by Troy Denning, is scheduled for release in February 2003.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Shifty
06-25-2002, 05:34 PM
That doesn't sound too bad, haven't read anything by Troy Denning though. Glad to see that they're doing some stories for the time right after Jedi again.

You ever notice that even though Tatooine's the planet furthest from the bright center of the universe, a whole lot of action sure takes place there... :)

El Chuxter
06-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Holy freakin' crap in a hat!! It's about time somebody found out something about Anakin's history!! Del Rey might want to be careful mucking around in the early days of the New Republic--while I love those stories, that time period's already pretty crowded. :)

Nice to see Troy Denning's doing the honors. Star by Star is one of the best-written SW novels, and I think he could do it justice. (Could you imagine if this story was done during the Bantam days? Three words: Kevin J Anderson!)

So I take it the story from an early issue of Star Wars Tales showing Mos Espa deserted and the podrace arena in ruins isn't completely accurate. . . .

pthfnder89
06-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Looks like the Star Wars novels are getting back on track, so instead of just all NJO dreck, we are going to get some stories from shortly after the formation of the New Republic. This one sounds pretty intresting, hopefully the book is as good as the teaser. :)

Yeah but most of the pre-NJO novels weren't that good either. The only ones I've ever considered really good were the original Zahn Trilogy. Some weren't too bad but others were just terrible.

The premise for this one sounds interesting but I'll wait and see how it turns out. Darth Shifty is right; Troy Dennings Star By Star was one of the best NJO books.

El Chuxter - is your comment about Kevin J. Anderson good or bad? To me he's always been like the rick McCallum of the written Star Wars world, basically destroying most of what he touches:D

Sidiously Darth
06-26-2002, 10:51 PM
I'm looking forward to this book. I've been stuck in the NJO universe for a long time. Plus I'm in the middle of the X-Wing novels, just finished AOTC and will get back to the Jedi Apprentice, Young Jedi, Jr. Jedi & Jedi Quest books. I'm also keeping up with the comics. I don't think I will ever run out of SW material to read.:stupid:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2002, 01:00 PM
KJA was the most prolific SW author until Jude Watson came along. I liked his style, especially the way he tried to fit things together and add little details from the movies. However, the later writers didn't really do this as well, IMO. He gets a bad rep now.
The best SW books were the trilogies, for the most part. The only pre-NJO novels (that were single books) that were good are The Courtship of Princess Leia; Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter; I, Jedi; and Shadows of the Empire.

DarthBrandon
06-27-2002, 01:11 PM
I bet the novel is going to be great, but I can never bring myself to read them cause it may cause conflict between the book and the movies right now. I just don't want to read a novel and watch the movie to say how come this was said and it's not in the movie.

P.S. I know that these books are in between movies or before or after, it's just if they refer to anything like Anakin/Vader's past it may conflict with the movie for me. I don't know, does anyone understand where I'm coming from ?

Beast
06-27-2002, 04:20 PM
I doubt that it's going to contradict anything Brandon. From what it sounds like, Leia is going to come across some info about Anakin from the timeframe of when he left Tatooine in TPM. Alot of the more recent novels have been very careful about making sure they don't negate continuity. It's only when you start dealing with stories from before 1999, where you deal with the most glaring inconsistancies. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
06-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Like I, Jedi--as much as I loved that book, the new info we've learned about the Jedi Order and the Clone Wars has seriously called some of the stuff into question. Like all Jedi vanishing, or Obi-Wan being from Tatooine. Never mind how Obi-Wan found enough time just before and during the Clone Wars to smash a Dark Jedi uprising (never mind that there were few or no Dark Jedi running around at that time).

Beast
06-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Yep El Chuxter, but they can be fun reads, but definatly have to be taken with a grain of salt. That's why I don't consider many of them, as not really Expanded Universe tales, but more as Alternative Universe Stories. The newer books are alot better at being classed EU though.

Some books tread really carefully, and can fit in canon, and some are just so out there, they have to be dismissed. Heck, some of the novels even negate each other. But that doesn't mean that they still can't be enjoyed, and if they fit in with established continuity, then cool. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
06-28-2002, 02:54 AM
That preview sounds pretty cool! I hope it's as good as the NJO series!;) :happy:

Originally posted by El Chuxter
Like I, Jedi--as much as I loved that book, the new info we've learned about the Jedi Order and the Clone Wars has seriously called some of the stuff into question. Like all Jedi vanishing, or Obi-Wan being from Tatooine. Never mind how Obi-Wan found enough time just before and during the Clone Wars to smash a Dark Jedi uprising (never mind that there were few or no Dark Jedi running around at that time).

Really?! I loved that book and I still consider it one of the best. I didn't see any of that stuff. Guess I'll have to go back and reread it! Does the book actually state that Obi Wan was from Tatooine, or did it state that he lived there (an important distinction)? Maybe you recall where in the book it says that? Maybe Corran Horn was confused about the timing of Obi Wan's battle with the Dark Jedi (or about the event itself); it doesn't seem that there are a whole lot of reliable records from Obi Wan's past left during the time of the book. Anyway, thanks for giving me an excuse to reread such a great book!;)

OC47150
06-28-2002, 03:13 PM
I'm looking forward to it, but I doubt if I'll immediately buy it. I'll wait and see if the library gets a copy first.

pthfnder89
06-28-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yep El Chuxter, but they can be fun reads, but definatly have to be taken with a grain of salt. That's why I don't consider many of them, as not really Expanded Universe tales, but more as Alternative Universe Stories. The newer books are alot better at being classed EU though.

That's the best way to read most of them. Otherwise the little (or sometimes big) inconsistancies will drive you mad.

Some of the things that the authors came up with just drove me nuts, even if they weren't contradictory. I can't remember which it was, but in one of the novels, Luke finds Vaders former castle, which is shaped (get this) exactly like Vaders HEAD. :rolleyes: Ok, this isn't He-Man folks...

Not only does Luke find the crumbled castle, but he also reconstructs the destroyed remains using the Force. That's a pretty far cry from any of the powers of the Force shown in the movies. Or even in most of the other books.

anarky
06-28-2002, 04:01 PM
in some books, luke can fly and talk with animals--that's why zahn toned him down in the hand of thrawn duology

boy needed a smackdown!

barbara hambly wrote the worst stuff--callista never happened, sorry--and why didn't someone in lucasland catch the non-engineered talking gammorreans, throw the book in the garbage, take hambly out into a dark alley, and cane her into submission?

OC47150
06-28-2002, 04:20 PM
Wasn't that in the Black Fleet Crisis books with Luke and the castle? I know in the first book there's mention of Vader's former castle.

I pick and choose the books because the writing varies so much. I've enjoyed Stackpole's Rogue Squadron books and Zahn's stories, but some of the other writers are so-so.

At SWC2, my friend and I had the opportunity to listen to the NJO author roundtable discussion. It was very interesting. There are do's and don'ts the authors must follow, like no cursing, etc... but other than that, the writers have creative freedom.

Zahn is supposed to write another SW novel in the future, possibly in the NJO storyline.

RooJay
06-28-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

That's the best way to read most of them. Otherwise the little (or sometimes big) inconsistancies will drive you mad.

Some of the things that the authors came up with just drove me nuts, even if they weren't contradictory. I can't remember which it was, but in one of the novels, Luke finds Vaders former castle, which is shaped (get this) exactly like Vaders HEAD. :rolleyes: Ok, this isn't He-Man folks...

Not only does Luke find the crumbled castle, but he also reconstructs the destroyed remains using the Force. That's a pretty far cry from any of the powers of the Force shown in the movies. Or even in most of the other books.

THAT BLOWS:crazed: The person responsible for that gets paid to write?!! Was this person older than 10?!

Originally posted by anarky
barbara hambly wrote the worst stuff--callista never happened, sorry--and why didn't someone in lucasland catch the non-engineered talking gammorreans, throw the book in the garbage, take hambly out into a dark alley, and cane her into submission?

I hear that! Never having read any of the books that involve Callista, whom I thought had to be the stupidest character ever devised for a Star Wars book, I can honestly say that for me...Callista did inded never happen! That's the coolest thing about the EU, if you don't like something about it you can ignore it and pretend it didn't happen (or make up your own version of the events!). Jedi princess what? Her spirit was trapped where? She and Luke what? This IS Star Wars, right? I agree anarky...she never happened!

anarky
06-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by OC47150
Zahn is supposed to write another SW novel in the future, possibly in the NJO storyline.

i've heard zahn is writing one or two prequel-era books in the next year

my guess is he's getting a chance to iron out some seeming inaccuracies regarding the clone wars, dark jedi, and other details from his and buddy stackpole's books

if this is the case, i hope to see jorus c'baoth, outbound project, thrawn, kieron halcyon, and the yoda/bpfasshi battle on dagobah

Lobito
07-25-2002, 05:17 PM
The good news is that we will know more about Anakin's past...the bad news is that we will have to wait until 2003 to get the book...oh well, the DVD will be out by then!!:D

thespar
07-25-2002, 05:25 PM
i will be good to have chewie back.

RooJay
07-28-2002, 01:22 AM
:confused:
Chewie back???

Beast
07-28-2002, 01:25 AM
I think he's referring to the fact that it's not a New Jedi Order novel, so Chewbacca is still alive. Can't wait for this one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
07-28-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Troy Dennings Star By Star was one of the best NJO books.

That book was GREAT! I hated finishing it. I tried to read it slow but I just could not do it! It had so many unexpected twists and turns! :)

I guess the next NJO is mostly about Jacen. Of course I'll read it but he is one of my least favorite characters in this whole series so I don't have super high hopes for it but ya never know! :) But Vergere will be in it more and that should be interesting.

Beast
10-08-2002, 01:16 AM
So, has anyone heard anything new about this novel since my first post about it months ago. I like Star Wars novels, but the NJO stuff is getting really old. Not to mention I don't like the NJO storyline at all. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
10-09-2002, 05:49 PM
I haven't heard anything abut this one, but I must admit that, even though I have loved the NJO series from the start, it does appear to be getting a bit stale! The last few books have been a bit on the boring side with not much of anything really happening(please bear in mind that I am a couple of books behind right now), and I feel that it's about time for the New Jedi Order to actually do something! It's way past time for the council to be reinstated and for the Jedi to have a major victory. I'm beginning to get a bit bored with the really cool classic Star Wars planets being destroyed, the republic being on the run, and the Jedi being so indecisive. I'm also beginning to get frustrated with the way they keep killing off all of the cool new Jedi characters they've introduced! Ganner was introduced for this series, and of all the characters they've shown us I think he has been the coolest. Now it appears likely that he's dead as well?! If they keep going like this, there won't be any Jedi left! The only characters we'll end up having as part of the New Jedi Order will be characters we've never heard of before that I doubt anybody will care about. I'm beginning to think that they have no clue what they are doing. I mean, am I wrong or doesn' it make sense to have a group of characters left at the end of this thing that people are going to care about? Not even major characters are safe.
Does anyone here know who it is that is in charge of this series? Who is responsible for guiding the story? Do they even have a plando they know where they're taking this, or is each author just making it up as they go along? I've tried asking the Jedi Council about this, but as usual, they don't seem to have any interest in answering any real questions.

scruffziller
10-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Where does this info come from? My friend who has read all the novels has kept up on the progress of the books and warns me that there are sometimes fakes out there, previews that is and the book is not real, but fabricated cover artwork.

Beast
10-11-2002, 04:02 PM
The info is from the official site, StarWars.Com. So I think there is a very slim chance that the book is a fake. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
10-12-2002, 08:27 AM
Cool!! Have you ever come across any fake stuff like this before?

Beast
10-21-2002, 08:51 AM
StarWars.com updated and they have the final cover art for both the front and the back of the book. Can't wait for this one, as I have little to no intrest in the NJO storyline. :p

As previously announced, author Troy Denning will be exploring the earlier years of Han and Leia Organa Solo's marriage in Tatooine Ghost. Here is the finalized cover art by Steve Anderson, which includes a first look at the back cover. Tatooine Ghost is scheduled for release in February 2003.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
10-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Shmi's awfully big on the back cover! This oughtta be good. :D

Beast
10-21-2002, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I saw that. I'm been drooling for somthing like this ever since E1 rumors started pouring out. I wanted Luke and especially Leia to find more out about their father's past. I'm sure that the events of this book is part of why Leia finally forgave her father in previous novels that took place further along in the time line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks