PDA

View Full Version : Star wars or Star trek?

The Bald Ewok
09-30-2001, 09:56 PM
Ok, Love to hear what everybody's opinion is on this....
Who is more of a geek, a star wars fan or a star trek fan?

I would say star trek, but I have seen some of our own kind, get a little out of hand.

GNT
10-01-2001, 12:24 AM
Star Trek people of more geeks than us Star Wars fans :)!

bigbarada
10-01-2001, 09:40 AM
Watch the movie "Trekkies" and you'll be inclined to believe Trek fans are geekier. However, watch some of the pre-Ep1 sillyness and the tables turn. Like the woman on Rosie O'Donnel who changed her name to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Or the people in England who tried to claim Jedi as their religion during the census.

So who's worse? NASCAR fans.:D

Eternal Padawan
10-01-2001, 11:41 AM
Ugh NASCAR....Do you think the Nascar forums have thread topics like "Star Wars fans are so nerdy..." that is if Nascar fans could afford computers...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

But seriously, in order to solve this question, you'd have to get THE nerdiest ST fan and THE geekiest SW fan and put them in a room to see who could outdoof the other...hmmmm...That

A. Scares me to no end. And

B. Sounds like something I'd pay to see.

So who's worse? WRESTLING fans!:D

JEDIpartner
10-01-2001, 11:49 AM
1. NASCAR
2. WWF or whatever other wrestling franchises there are...
3. Goth
4. People who collect plates
5. Star Trek
6. Star Wars

:D

and in that order... Hahahahaha!!!;)

Fulit
10-01-2001, 11:51 AM
Just watch the episode of the Tom Green show where he goes to the Star Trek convention and meets "Captain Quo Martinay" and his friends. There's your answer.

"I'm a Klingon. We don't have human emotions."

Boba Binks
10-01-2001, 03:48 PM
The movie Trekkies scarred me for life.

Star Trek geeks are the worst.
I am a Star Wars geek but not as geeky as those Star Trek geeks.

But you have to admit it is pretty cool seeing the Millenium Falcon fire at the Borg ships in the First Contact movie. You can only see this on the wide screen version. It in on the lower side.

Of course I am ready to see the major Star Wars geeks come to town when Celebration 2 hits Indy! It will be a blast.

Jargo
10-01-2001, 03:50 PM
I believe those crazy New Zealanders and Australians set the ball rolling on that dismal attempt to have Jedi recognised as a religion. Us british followed suit shortly afterward. Exept me. I don't have faith in anything but myself.

Trust no-one - they're watching..... :p

Lobito
10-01-2001, 05:03 PM
I have seen lots of SW fans that can talk on the subjects for days...but...i have a friend that is a ST fan, that guy really knows everything about ST, and thats here, i say that they are balanced...it all depends on the ammount of information the creators give to the fans.

master jedi
10-01-2001, 05:15 PM
Star Wars fans geeks? When the heck did this happen?

I'd say Star Trek people are bigger geeks/freaks. They wear spock ears and speak Klingon for goodness sake.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2001, 07:18 PM
When SW enthusiasts get an agreed-upon name, then SW geekness will truly exist. I like being a Star Wars Fan, not a Jedi Knight, Star Warrior, Saga-ist, Trilogist, A New Hoper, etc.

Geeks can deceive you; don't trust them.

JEDIpartner
10-02-2001, 10:01 AM
I just say that I am a "STAR WARS fan". I feel that is a sufficient title for me. Of course, I refer to myself as a geek because I AM a geek... but that's besides the point. I would never go around wearing a costume to a convention or the first showing of the new film... I DO have a Jedi costume that was made for a Halloween party a couple years ago and I AM going to be wearing it again this year as I am taking my friend's child (who is now obsessed with SW since I bought him a copy of TPM) trick-or-treating. We are gonna have a blast! He is going as Anakin and I am going as Obi-Wan. Halloween... but THAT'S IT!!!

JediTricks
10-02-2001, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
Just watch the episode of the Tom Green show where he goes to the Star Trek convention and meets "Captain Quo Martinay" and his friends. There's your answer.

"I'm a Klingon. We don't have human emotions." Yeah, they're SOOOO much worse than those guys who go to SW conventions running around in speederbike costumes. ;)

Binks, I'm pretty sure there's no Millennium Falcon in First Contact.

Each group of fans has their extremists, but Trek's been around 10 years longer than SW, so it's amassed a larger fanbase in that time. However, the issue is really "apples and oranges", there are many crossover fans like myself, but the franchises are so different from each other that there's no real comparison IMO.

Fulit
10-02-2001, 12:48 PM
Say what you want about me, but don't ever speak ill of my speeder bike costume-wearing. ;)

The funny thing about that episode is the Star Trek people are being very serious, trying to lend it some sort of dignity, and Tom Green is running around zapping them with his laser and saying "I'm Captain Quo Martinay"! They were so mad.

puppetboy
10-02-2001, 06:12 PM
Jocks.
Most people think of star trek and star wars fans as being as not having any lives, but com on are people who dress like klingons and go to star trek conventions any more demented then those guys who paint go to football games in the middle of winter with no shirt on and there faces painted blue.

Huckleberry Josh
10-02-2001, 06:16 PM
I'd have to say Star Trek fans are the worst . And by the way , there is nothing wrong with the WWF.I'm a WWF fan myself . I hate Nascar though . Nascar is like Redneck central .

Obi-Don
10-03-2001, 09:46 AM
I would have to say Nascar. At least in SW and ST they go fast and get somewhere.In Nascar they go around and around and around fast and get nowhere. Hey,lets go and get sunburned and drunk and watch the cars go around and around untill we throw up.:D

bigbarada
10-03-2001, 10:07 AM
Who was that NASCAR driver who was killed in a wreck recently? Well, the other day on the radio they had an expert on the morning show who finally gave the reason for his tragic death:

"He was a redneck, driving in a circle at 200 miles an hour. It was bound to happen eventually."

:D

Yes, I know, I'm totally insensitive.

Fulit
10-03-2001, 10:30 AM
That is insensitive, yet highly funny. I think the funny outweighs the insensitive. By that line of thinking, though, since it's bound to happen eventually, someday we won't have to put up with Nascar or it's fans at all.

JEDIpartner
10-03-2001, 11:18 AM
Hey there Huck!

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with NASCAR or WWF... I don't particularly find any connection to those things... but come ON! Many of those WWF fanatics have never read a REAL piece of literature, traveled outside of their "area" or had jobs that didn't require physical labour. I'm not saying ALL of them are that way... but in my travels I have seen those qualities in the ones who talk about WWF. Those particular people have no concept of speaking at a lower volume (eveyone stares blankly at them wondering if they are making some kind of announcement), their conversatitions are punctuated with "action noises", their idea of a wardrobe doesn't exceed WWF or BEER shirts and saggy (5 years ago) pants. All the ones I have seen at my gym have, in general, bad hygiene and bad hair.

NOW... let me qualify it with this-- there are people in ALL KINDS OF INTERESTS who fit this profile and are head-slappingly uncultured... but that's why I listed those other fan groups in the earlier post. It seems that, and don't get me wrong, there seemed to be fewer "under-cultured" types with the sci-fi crowd as compared to the more testosterone driven "hobbies" (i.e. the naked painted jiggly chested football fans :eek: ).

So... no offense intended for anyone who does not fit that profile... or for those who do... variety makes the world go around, but soap and a volume knob help bring us closer together... :rolleyes:

master jedi
10-03-2001, 12:34 PM
How much do you guys wanna bet that in some Star Trek forum they're haveing this same discussion on who's the bigger geek and they're saying that we are?

JEDIpartner
10-03-2001, 03:06 PM
It only counts if you have brushed your teeth, washed yourself and read something other than a magazine in the last year...

**Don't think that I don't believe someone is gonna come after me because of my last post here! :rolleyes:

I'm SURE there is someone out there in TREKville saying the same about us!!!

Does any of us geeks have the time to research that one? ;)

Huckleberry Josh
10-03-2001, 06:27 PM
Hey JEDIpartnr , I agree with you 100% . Although , I've seen a lot of Star Wars fans that are gross too . There are a couple at my school like that . They don't take showers . They have rotten teeth . It's SICK!

bigbarada
10-03-2001, 08:37 PM
I once heard a guy on the radio who was a WWF fan, and he wanted to know why, when having a wrestling match with his son, he couldn't throw his son from the roof onto a table or hit him with a folding chair. In his mind, since they were both sanctioned moves by the WWF, then he could do them without getting arrested for child abuse.

JediTricks
10-04-2001, 10:33 AM
master jedi, unlike some shallow SW fans, I've never seen Trek fans ask others to judge who's "geekier". That's basically the main difference I see between hard-core SW fans who don't like Trek vs. hard-core ST fans who don't like SW, those SW fans seem more shallow and product-oriented and seem a bit more whiny. That's not to say we trekkies are perfect, we have more infighting about the various shows and movies.

BTW, I'm thinking about making my own site (not really, it's just a gag), what do you think? jtstlogo.gif (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=12463) ;)

master jedi
10-04-2001, 01:41 PM
Star Trek Guide? NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I know several Trekies and have heard them say which is geekisr or something similar.

The Bald Ewok
10-04-2001, 02:37 PM
I finally saw the Trekkies show last night. Now I know that they are by far the worst out there. Scary...disturbing...but not at all surprising. I remember when the Generations movie had came out. I thought that I would go and see it at the theater. I remember being the ONLY person there not dressed for it. It was like a friggin convention. And after viewing trekkies, it just adds more to my suspicion. I know that I am bad, but not nearly as bad as they are. Of course that will all change come next year with AOTC and the Celebration!!

Live long and prosper...I think

Lobito
10-04-2001, 03:01 PM
BTW, I'm thinking about making my own site (not really, it's just a gag), what do you think? jtstlogo.gif

Thats cool JT!! By putting Jedi Tricks in the ST Guide u prove that u can be fan of both sagas. It wouldnt be the same if u had created Spock Tricks ST Guide.:) :eek: :D

JediTricks
10-05-2001, 01:32 PM
Trekkies is a totally biased film, meant to exploit the Trek fanbase for entertainment value rather than to show the truth about Trek fandom. Read William Shatner's "Get a Life" where he goes undercover (wearing a mask) to find out about what goes on at Trek conventions, he's much more balanced about the whole thing. There are people who are learning Huttese and worshipping the Jedi religion right now, how is that any less embarassing than the extreme Trekkies?

The Bald Ewok
10-06-2001, 09:48 AM
Awwww...come on Jeditricks! I have never heard of anybody speaking huttese! At least not to the extreme of having it being taught, spoken fluentely, and having books translated like as in the Klingon. Yeah sure, I bet that there is a couple of pyschos that try to speak huttese. But compared to the klingon language, its pale in comparision. I mean I havent heard of huttese as a college course, but there is (and I dont remember where) a college where they teach Klingon. Trekkies by far are much more extreme , thats why they get singled out the most. Dont get me wrong, SW fans can just be as bad! However, just when I think SW fans are bad, Trekkies push the limit over and over. Also as to the worshipping Jedi religion thing, as far as I know, that came out the time the census was going on. So people would put anything down, just to get rid of the census worker (who would pay visits whenever there was a delinquent person who did not file.) You know, say anything to get rid of the person. Lastly as to Shatner giving a so called unbiased opinion, I really cant accept that. Really, there has to be mediator for us to agree on. Somebody outside of the circle that can show what true trekkie fans are like. And granted you know the most wacko are always going to get the most attention, hence why if you want to be on tv. Go to a football game without a shirt in the middle of winter. Its almost guaranteed that you will be on. And also dont get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong being a trekkie, however a being a Raider fan is!

JediTricks
10-06-2001, 11:49 AM
Well, remember that the Klingon language book has been out a lot longer than the Huttese one (which just got released a month ago, IIRC), so give it a few years and we'll see. As for why Trekkies get singled out for the nasty stigma, I think it's because they were the first and there are more of them.

As for Shatner's book, he really REALLY was an outsider to the Trek fandom until he wrote the book, he didn't understand the whole thing, he didn't know his "Get a life!" comment on SNL would be taken so harshly, though he did mean it at that time.

2-1B
10-06-2001, 04:12 PM
I saw a bit on The Man Show in which the two hosts cut in a TPM line, and the SW fans were REALLY upset. Pretty funny stuff.

But really, a movie just like Trekkies could be made about ANY group of fans. How many times would I be hunting for SW figs while looking with disgust at all of the people clamoring for Beanie Babies a few years ago?

I love football (go Browns!) but living in Wisconsin, I could make a movie about Packer fans that would challenge Trekkies for king ''geekitude''.

Or I could make it about NeckCAR fans, WWF fans, D&D fans . . . .

JediTricks stated that comparing ST and SW fans was an apples and oranges thing. He's right, but there are many other fruits in that basket, and I have listed but only a few!

The Bald Ewok
10-07-2001, 10:58 PM
the browns!!! OUCH!! Just kidding...congrats on the victory against SD!

bigbarada
10-08-2001, 10:59 PM
I remember in my high school days when I was the biggest Trek fan of my life. I would spend all my time reading the novels (up to 36 per year!) and building the models. However, the moment of utmost geekness was when I wrote a 50 page term-paper on Star Trek for my 11th grade English class. When it came time to give my oral presentation, I got up in front of the class, in Spock ears, and recited the entire opening monologue to the original series. I had people coming up to me days later saying how much they liked my presentation. Plus, my English teacher gave me an A+ on the report! My thesis was on how such a highly criticized show and, by all counts, a ratings failure, could become such a phenomenon.

My Star Trek fandom went steadily downhill from there, and I have never done anything that geeky when it comes to Star Wars.

Lobito
10-09-2001, 02:33 PM
I remember EPI opening day...i was in Montreal, and i got 3 tickets to see the last show of opening day (midnight). So i went with two other friends to watch the movie...the place (theater) was crowded!!! Even at that time there were ppl dressed as Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, etc...anyway...as we entered the theatre, there was one lady that took 3 places, but two other guys saw the seats and wanted to sit there. They started arguing...the girl that arrived first said that the places were for his hubby and his son...but they were still outside buying popcorn and sodas. As this was happening an employee of the theatre entered the scene and asked what was the problem...to which the guy that wanted the seats answered..."we are part of the rebel alliance, and this lady is an imperial traitor that wont let us sit in these places"...(or something like that)...Finally the hubby arrived with his son and the two guys disappeared in the act. Now that guy really had geeky problems!! hehehe:D :cool:

The Bald Ewok
10-09-2001, 05:02 PM
Yeah dont get me wrong, Star wars fans are just as bad as star trek fans. Heck, I saw the same things as you did. I remember that when I had seen EP1 that there was people dressed and fighting with light sabers, and staying outside the movie theaters for days. On the other hand, we are talking about a movie series that hasnt been out for 16 yrs I think. However, there is a trek movie what seems to be 3 to 4 years. And the trekkies do dresse up for the movies. Is there anything wrong with that. Absolutely not. I hope that in fact people do keep that up. When you think about it, why is that trekkies are more notable when people think about sci fi frieaks?

JediTricks
10-10-2001, 11:40 AM
I've been to an awful lot of big Trek movie openings and the big 5-movie marathon that premiered the ST 6 trailer (it was called "Sit Long and Prosper", I still have my ticket and the official t-shirt) and even at all of those, I rarely saw people in Trek costumes, much less so than my 3 viewings of Episode I on opening day.

I think the general public has been given a lot more access to Trek conventions and see these few folks who dress up like Klingons in real life and think that's how it is for those Trekkies all the time. Many folks think that we SW fans are all like that all the time too, with our lightsabers and stormtrooper costumes and what-not, but I don't think the general public thinks of Star Wars fans in those terms as much simply because they haven't been exposed to it nearly as much as with Trek.