PDA

View Full Version : Canadians

Jek Porky 2002
06-25-2002, 06:02 PM
I really don't mean to offend anyone here and if I do please remove this thread straight away.
But, do Canadians really pronounce things like about as "aboot", or follow every sentence up with "eh" and call everyone buddy, like on South Park?

Sorry in advance and please feel free to take the p1$s out of the english accent.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-25-2002, 06:49 PM
I don't know about all that, but they do say 'zed' instead of the correct 'zee.' ;)

And for the record, I've never heard one say 'Take off you hoser.'

Jek Porky 2002
06-25-2002, 06:55 PM
We also say Zed over here in England and so do most English speaking countries.

scruffziller
06-25-2002, 07:43 PM
Yes I have heard Canadians have that accent. It is really no different than any other accent or regional language quirk. We have tons here in the US. Every region is different.

DarthBrandon
06-25-2002, 08:24 PM
We don't say Zed, we say Zee. That's how I've always known it all my life. Some people say Zed, but it all depends on what region your in. All over Canada and the United States the language and pronunciation are different and you can tell right away. Newfoundland has sayings like Geeze Bayy (Boy) or he's smart like a dump truck. We have many different cultures in Canada like the U.S. does, if you go to New York you can tell the difference from a New Yorker and a Southerner. The accent just sounds different. We don't say eh after completing a sentence, we say right or no, just like everyone else. Take off you hoser and eh are from Bob and Doug McKenzie's Skit. We use all kinds of slang terms that the U.S. uses as well i.e. Whatttsssssss uuuuupppppppp ! We are your next door Neighbor's and are just like you guys in many ways. Hey bud ! lets party ! is from an American film called fast times at Ridgemount High staring Sean Penn. Do you guys talk like that dude ? I don't think the majority of us do, this is slang created by people and it just catches on.

QLD
06-26-2002, 12:03 AM
Am I alone in wondering what the heck Zed and Zee are?

Vortex
06-26-2002, 12:09 AM
My friends in Winterpeg...aka Winnipeg ALWAYS use eh. Its like people using hey.

I point it out all the time. The also do say aboot, instead of about.
Almost sounds scottish at times (Go GERS!!!!).

I've also noticed in northern minnesota the eh's run wild.

Yea what the heck is Zee

Mandalorian Candidat
06-26-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Am I alone in wondering what the heck Zed and Zee are?

Just talking about the letter 'Z'. The English and I guess some Canadians say zed while Americans say zee. For some twisted reason I find it really bizarre that there's another English name for a common letter.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-26-2002, 01:16 AM
I was in a class with a kid from Canada (a lot of Canadian students are crossing the border and taking classes at American universities) and one of our scenarios we had to do for a class report was simulate learning disabilities. We called on him to reited the alphabet backward and of course the first thing he said was "Zed." and that caused a lot of snickering among our class.

But living near Canadians I can say their accent isn't as profound as most people think it is. About sounds more like "aboat" and not like "aboot." Again sounds like "a-gain" and not "agen." Sorry is more like "sorey" and there are a few other words here and there that are a little different, but there accent isn't that different than most of ours at all. There is however a high ratio of people name Gord, donut stores, hockey, and maple syrup when you compare Canada with our country.

A thing I always wondered about Canadians is, do they get happy when they find American change in their rolls of quarters and such? As someone who works in retail, we keep a jar of Canadian money that customers give to us. Our money is about 50% more valuable than theirs (an American dollar is worth $1.51 in Canada) so when we get a Canadian quarter we really get 12 1/2 cents.

I do give Canada credit for the Guess Who, Rush, the Tragically Hip, Gordon Lightfoot, Alex Trebek, Michael J. Fox, Martin Short, Dan Ackroyd, Phil Hartman, Colin Mochrie, the Barenaked Ladies, and Leonard Cohen.

And Brandon, all the Canadians I know, do say "eh" a lot, especially to end their sentences.

DarthBrandon
06-26-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

And Brandon, all the Canadians I know, do say "eh" a lot, especially to end their sentences.

Not from where I'm at. You see this is slang and most educated people do not use it. It's like saying we all live in Igloos or something, and we don't, we live in houses just like you guys. You may know some people from Canada who do that, but you don't live here, and I'm telling you most of us don't eh. LOL

You forgot Jim Carey, Mike Myers, Shania Twain, Bryan Adams, John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, ah hell most of the NHL hockey players, the arm on the space shuttle, free medicare and all other Canadian things we have.

To the American's I have to say this 2nd best place in the world next to my place.( My opinion ) LOL (Awesome dollar, Military,buildings, Hollywood, the big apple, Cali, Florida, etc. Great places to visit and meet new people. The number 1 thing about Americans is their strength to come together in hard times and overcome them. My good (high school ) friend Coby is from Maryland and has dual citizenship, he loves it here and there, just like me. Anyways sounds like I'm babbling so I'll take off eh. LOL

Dark Knight
06-26-2002, 02:24 AM
What's up with puting mayo on everything?

Just wondering?:) :D :eek:

DarthBrandon
06-26-2002, 03:22 AM
No hold the Mayo. I want Ketchup, Mustard, then Mayo. Mayo takes a back seat in my books next to K & M. Mayo's only good for some sandwich's and potato or macaroni salad.

Boba Fitt
06-26-2002, 08:36 AM
We don't say "aboot." I think it was the 2 Canadians who made South Park poking fun at themselves... Zed or Zee are 2 ways to say the last letter of the alphabet. Depends where in the country you are from.

And putting mayo on hamburgers... YUCK! Burgers and mayo were never meant to be put together. It's a french Canadian thing. :-)

billfremore
06-26-2002, 09:19 AM
Actually putting mayo on anything, especially french fries, is mostly a European thing.

As for the "eh" thing, I think we do it subconsciously and don't even notice until some American points it out. :D

Vortex
06-26-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by billfremore
Actually putting mayo on anything, especially french fries, is mostly a European thing.

As for the "eh" thing, I think we do it subconsciously and don't even notice until some American points it out. :D

Mayo in europe???? Where's this?

I've seen mayo in Canada. In England its vinigar, and I remember at one point you had to buy your catchup packets for a few p. Netherlands and Belgum was gravey, Germany was eat them as they are, same with Lux, and Italia. I think in some French towns they covered them in some sort of sauce. Switzerland I avoided pommie, but they still gave me small whole potatos... I just must have missed the mayo towns, but I've only so far seen mayo in canada.

Croaker
06-26-2002, 09:43 AM
I was going to point that out as well bill.
the mayo thing - the worst people I know for that are the dutch.

And NEVER, NEVER in my life have I ever heard a Canadian say 'aboot'. Hell, I've never heard anyone say it.

When we were visiting NY, a cop knew that we were Canadian because we said 'about' while the natives said 'abow' - kind of like about without the final 't'.

And I will admit to saying 'eh' a lot.
And I occasionally say 'Take off hoser, eh', but only in jest.

And yes it is 'Zed' ask the brits, or the australians, or the Kiwis, or the indians, or...

Mandalorian Candidat
06-26-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
What's up with puting mayo on everything?

Just wondering?:) :D :eek:

I don't know about the Canadians doing this, but freak, in Brazil they slather almost everything will that stuff. I remember seeing this guy eat a corn-on-the-cob with mayo instead of butter. **shudders**

DarthBrandon
06-26-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

Mayo in europe???? Where's this?

I've seen mayo in Canada. In England its vinigar, and I remember at one point you had to buy your catchup packets for a few p. Netherlands and Belgum was gravey, Germany was eat them as they are, same with Lux, and Italia. I think in some French towns they covered them in some sort of sauce. Switzerland I avoided pommie, but they still gave me small whole potatos... I just must have missed the mayo towns, but I've only so far seen mayo in canada.

Actually I've heard from alot of people Mayo is real big in England. here in Canada it's mostly a French Canadian thing like Boba Fitt posted earlier. Remember South Park was created by two Canadians if I'm not mistaken, I could be, so they will poke fun at themselves with whatever they can come up with. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Vortex
06-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by brandon

Actually I've heard from alot of people Mayo is real big in England. here in Canada it's mostly a French Canadian thing like Boba Fitt posted earlier. Remember South Park was created by two Canadians if I'm not mistaken, so they will poke fun at themselves with whatever they can come up with. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

If anyone actually believes what's on Southpark is true, they need to be checked into a funny farm.

I have nothing against the canadians, and I go see my friends in Winnipeg quite a bit, and sometimes the accents and tone inflections are quite funny. I even worked with a gal from Winnipeg for a bit and she even picked on her fellow canadians...
But all in all you're still a good lot, good quite neighbors, and great beer. Koakanie (sp?) is still the best beer I've ever had. Molson Ultra put me under the table pretty quick back in the days...

2-1B
06-26-2002, 01:57 PM
"Canadian beer - you know that stuff's like moonshine!"
-- John Stewart in Big Daddy --

billfremore
06-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Remember South Park was created by two Canadians if I'm not mistaken, so they will poke fun at themselves with whatever they can come up with. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Unfortunately you are mistaken.
Trey Parker and Matt Stone are very much Americans who just like poking fun at those of us up here.

As for the mayonnaise thing, european mayonnaise is different than the stuff here in North America, it's richer and kind of sweet tasting, it's almost like gourmet mayo.
This is why it's used as a dip for fries and such.

Most europeans I've spoken to think that our mayo is disgusting.

"American beer is like making love in a canoe, it's f***ing close to water"
-- Monty Python --

DarthBrandon
06-26-2002, 03:31 PM

Unfortunately you are mistaken.
Trey Parker and Matt Stone are very much Americans who just like poking fun at those of us up here.

As for the mayonnaise thing, european mayonnaise is different than the stuff here in North America, it's richer and kind of sweet tasting, it's almost like gourmet mayo.
This is why it's used as a dip for fries and such.

Most europeans I've spoken to think that our mayo is disgusting.

"American beer is like making love in a canoe, it's f***ing close to water"
-- Monty Python --

Yes you are correct billfremore, I posted something in error I read before somewhere. I thought the article was true. Dam internet,My bad. Canadian beer rocks, but Heineken is my favorite European beer. You ever heard of Koakanie beer ?

Vortex
06-26-2002, 03:36 PM

You ever heard of Koakanie beer ?

Yea love the stuff. I sneak some across the border or have my friends bring some down when they come to visit...I wish they sold it in Minnesota...wait, I'd be a drunk 24-7 if that was the case. I even have a t-shirt...

billfremore
06-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Ahh Kokanie...

It's no Sleeman's though

DarthBrandon
06-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Who makes it ? I've lived here all my life ( Toronto, Montreal, Saint John, N.B. ) and I've never heard of it.

billfremore
06-26-2002, 03:44 PM
Kokanee is brewed in B.C. by the Columbia Brewery.
It was introduced to Ontario in 1996-97 with a big advertising push (I still have a hat) and has quietly faded into the woodwork along with all of the other beers.

DarthBrandon
06-26-2002, 03:48 PM
Oh, well that's why I never heard of it then. I guess if it was a little popular around here I may have tried it. I'll look next time I'm away to see if I can find it.

Thankx for replying to my question. L8R for now.

Jek Porky 2002
06-26-2002, 04:17 PM
So it depends on where aboots (get it) you come from in Canada, a bit like everybody thinks that the English pronounce words like bath path and grass as barth parth and grars when it's actually only upper clarss people and people from the South who pronouce it like that and us from any where appart from the south pronounce it properly without the extra 'r'.

Vortex
06-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Wow, throw in a little Welsh and a Dash of Scot, and you get something that's hard to understand...sort of like Irish:)

Jargo
06-26-2002, 04:51 PM
Y'know, I'm part Welsh, part Scottish, part Irish, part French, part German, part Turkish, and mostly English. I've met many Canadians and Americans in my lifetime and I found that Canadians sound more American in the accent department than Americans. Americans sound like English people who forgot how to do the English accent.
I think the strangest thing is that a lot of Americans think they don't have accents. that always seems kind of arrogant to me. Everyone has an accent of some description. The global melt of immigrants and interbreeding that's gone on through the centuries has seen to that. Everybody, with no exeptions bar the people who cannot speak, has an accent.

The hard to understand accent in Ireland is the Northern ireland twang. As opposed to the Southern Ireland lilt. Northern Ireland (Belfast area) has the most aggresive sounding accent I've ever heard. Even more aggresive sounding that the Scottish Glaswegian (Glasgow) accent. Scottish Aberdeen or Edinburgh accents are much softer and easier to understand even though the slang is inpenetrable. :)

Helmann's Mayonnaise is big in the UK as a salad dressing and with Fish. But then again all kinds of mayonnaise derivitive dressings are big with salads and fish. Mayo with french fries (the french don't eat them it's an American invention) is mostly a Southern English thing. In the North we have fish and chips (french fries) with salt and vinegar and ketchup. If you ever visit the North of England and in particular the North West, I can reccomend Harry Ramsden's Fish restaurants as the best place to sample fish and chips.
never eat fish and chips if you are in the South of England. The worst fish and chips that man ever created. Paltry portions and dreadful food. :dead:

Vortex
06-26-2002, 05:03 PM
I had a hard time understanding the folks in Inverness and Orkney when I was in Scotland. They had thick accents and tones to words.

Yes everyone has an accent. I stress my O's, its a midwest thing, and too many sweeds and norwegians around these parts...

I have major trouble with the germans, swiss and austrians. I speak somewhat fluent german, but its high german and I have trouble with my friends dad whos from Munchen, and when I went to switzerland and austria, I stumbled through it. There's too many dialects, and regional adaptations that make it hard.

Yes, we all have some sort of accent. People in college used to ask me where I was from. I would tell them, St. Paul or here, and they tell me, well you have an accent...so there's no getting away from it.

mabudonicus
06-26-2002, 05:24 PM
Ahhh, Canadians. If you must have a good example- Television english sounds a LOT more like "Canadian" than you'd probably expect. For a sort of "accent free" english.
Our beer is better, no question at all (and trust me, I know beer):). You guys (NO MINORS!!) should try the beer I brew, right from grain. I like sleemans on draft , the clear bottle isn't my fave. Right now Ive got a fixation on stuff called KLB nut brown- black, sweet, clean..... If you can find it, and you don't mind dark coloured libations, check it out. AWESOME!!!!
Oh yeah- you wanna hear a Canadian talking?? PM me and I'll give ya my number, you can hear it for real (or listen on my site- I'm doing a Gene simmons accent, but ya can hear me talk there). I say eh ALL THE TIME, but I usually only use it at the end of sentences to mean "does what I said sound right, or was it nonsense"

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-26-2002, 09:11 PM
I don't mind Canadians. I've gotta friend who's a Canadian citizen and living in VA. I've also got a ton of relatives in Canada. You Canadians have the best restaurant in the world- Tim Hortons! :D

Croaker
06-27-2002, 09:42 AM
Oh how I miss Tim Horton's!!!
I'll be home on Saturday.
I've been trying to tell all these brits about real doughnuts and explain about our thing with coffee and Tim Horton's.

Ahh, Sleeman's beer. Great stuff.
I dated his daughter for a while. He's got a kickin' house in Oakville!

And the Hogtown Brewing Co. (Toronto, but actually made in Mississauga) makes a really nice Hemp beer.

Boba Fitt
06-27-2002, 12:04 PM
The best in Canadian beer is Alexander Keith's...

"Those who like it, like it a lot!"

Now I'm thirsty....

DarthBrandon
06-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Boba Fitt
The best in Canadian beer is Alexander Keith's...

"Those who like it, like it a lot!"

Now I'm thirsty....

Keith's ah ! now there's a dam good beer Fitt.
I also like Coors Light ( Canadian ) for some reason and Corona or Heineken for import beers. Just had five Heineken's last night after supper, plus two Keiths. Yummy.

billfremore
06-27-2002, 12:17 PM
Mmmm Keith's.

And I agree with Mabudon, I find American newscasters sound like Canadians.

Beware americans, we're slowly taking over the world. :evil:

DarthBrandon
06-27-2002, 12:20 PM

Beware americans, we're slowly taking over the world. :evil:

It's either that billfremore, or North America is going to be called United Canada. LOL

Jargo
06-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Wouldn't that be the republic of canada if you guys took over the states? I thought that was what countries renamed themselves after a coup de gras type thing.

TV English isn't proper English. That's actor English which is based of RP or recieved pronunciation, or the way what the Queen talks proper like innit. :) I had to learn how to disguise my natural Northern accent and make it sound RP when i trained as an actor. hated it. Why should I lose my natural accent just so some toffee nosed posh bird can understand me. Why should I have to learn to speak like that just to suit the rich theater patrons? That's not on, I resisted the brainwashing and retained my natural accent. I can mimmick the RP accent well but I wasn't duped like my actor friends at college were. They all lost their natural regional identity when they lost their accents. Too bad.

The accent I have a problem with is Californian. Especially valley girls and boys. And the surfer dudes with that drawling boring accent....... And the way that these days so many Americans I see on TV do that thing where every sentence ends as a question with a rising tone. Instead of closing a statement with a dead or descending tone it's up at the end on everything. And everyone growls in the back of their throats these days on TV too. Surely all Americans don't live perpetually in arid environments that would induce such an effect. nasal twangs and growly throaty voices. That's how Americans come across on TV. Canadians come across as being really intense and lacking in humour but fairly normal as far as voices go. Perhaps a little nasal too but that could be that most canadian TV shows we get focus on people in log cabins in snow bound communities. How quaint..... :rolleyes: That's like you getting endless shows like Inspector Morse or Mis marple which exacerbate this perennial image of England as a cosy village with ivy covered cottages and everyone being cheery and sitting down to afternoon tea in the garden and playing croquet on the lawn.... God that makes me so mad :mad:
Something else i hate is that all our TV shows have to be remade for the American audience because the American audience can't understand the regional accents of the UK. :dead: Well the Canadians don't seem to have that problem do you guys. My Uncle lived up that way for a year or two and he was muttering about seeing tons of british shows on TV there. Not remakes.
Are Americans dim or lazy or deaf or what? How can you find UK acents hard to understand? we speak the same language for crying out loud. If it was the Russian accent you had a problem with or Czechoslovakian or Icelandic i could understand that because I have a problem there too - but we speak the same language and use the same words and have virtually the same pronunciations. How hard can it be to understand us? Weird, very weird.

Don't take any of this to heart guys, I'm not having a go at anyone here just generalising in a very very very broad way. :)

billfremore
06-27-2002, 03:07 PM
Hey, I'm not offended Jargo, I tend to generalize most of the time just to get a rise out of people. :D

I have yet to figure out why americans need their own version of everything either. British television is just fine the way it is.

But then again we're talking about a nation of people who apparently have trouble following a black puck on white ice or at least the Fox network does. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
06-27-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Wouldn't that be the republic of canada if you guys took over the states? I thought that was what countries renamed themselves after a coup de gras type thing.

TV English isn't proper English. That's actor English which is based of RP or recieved pronunciation, or the way what the Queen talks proper like innit. :) I had to learn how to disguise my natural Northern accent and make it sound RP when i trained as an actor. hated it. Why should I lose my natural accent just so some toffee nosed posh bird can understand me. Why should I have to learn to speak like that just to suit the rich theater patrons? That's not on, I resisted the brainwashing and retained my natural accent. I can mimmick the RP accent well but I wasn't duped like my actor friends at college were. They all lost their natural regional identity when they lost their accents. Too bad.

The accent I have a problem with is Californian. Especially valley girls and boys. And the surfer dudes with that drawling boring accent....... And the way that these days so many Americans I see on TV do that thing where every sentence ends as a question with a rising tone. Instead of closing a statement with a dead or descending tone it's up at the end on everything. And everyone growls in the back of their throats these days on TV too. Surely all Americans don't live perpetually in arid environments that would induce such an effect. nasal twangs and growly throaty voices. That's how Americans come across on TV. Canadians come across as being really intense and lacking in humour but fairly normal as far as voices go. Perhaps a little nasal too but that could be that most canadian TV shows we get focus on people in log cabins in snow bound communities. How quaint..... :rolleyes: That's like you getting endless shows like Inspector Morse or Mis marple which exacerbate this perennial image of England as a cosy village with ivy covered cottages and everyone being cheery and sitting down to afternoon tea in the garden and playing croquet on the lawn.... God that makes me so mad :mad:
Something else i hate is that all our TV shows have to be remade for the American audience because the American audience can't understand the regional accents of the UK. :dead: Well the Canadians don't seem to have that problem do you guys. My Uncle lived up that way for a year or two and he was muttering about seeing tons of british shows on TV there. Not remakes.
Are Americans dim or lazy or deaf or what? How can you find UK acents hard to understand? we speak the same language for crying out loud. If it was the Russian accent you had a problem with or Czechoslovakian or Icelandic i could understand that because I have a problem there too - but we speak the same language and use the same words and have virtually the same pronunciations. How hard can it be to understand us? Weird, very weird.

Don't take any of this to heart guys, I'm not having a go at anyone here just generalising in a very very very broad way. :)

I guess someone's not getting any. ;)

billfremore
06-27-2002, 03:17 PM
Any what?

(We Canadians are very naive you know) ;)

DarthBrandon
06-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Hey, I'm not offended Jargo, I tend to generalize most of the time just to get a rise out of people. :D

I have yet to figure out why americans need their own version of everything either. British television is just fine the way it is.

But then again we're talking about a nation of people who apparently have trouble following a black puck on white ice or at least the Fox network does. :D

Because if it's not the American Way it's the wrong way ( that's ) just what I get from talking to them. Not that they are arrogant, but too proud to realize that we Canadians and everyone else live differently from them. And they think why don't you talk this way or why don't you put this on your Hot Dog or Sandwich. Well because everyone has a different opinion on what they want to eat or how they want to speak. It's like them having the gaul to ask us if we live in Igloos, when they know darn well we don't , because enough of them visit Canada all the time, because they say that they like the people here. I agree that British television is fine the way it is. So is the puck in hockey, never understood that either, get some glasses, it's there in plain view. Maybe the fox network should buy glasses for those who can't see it. Americans need their own version of things so they can say mines the best, they rule the world and look down on the rest of us even though they say they like us. It would be like if I invented something the Americans wanted, they would try to Americanize me to say it was created by one of them. Just an opinion.

P.S. I not anti- American or bashing them, because I do like them, just a my take on the situation and broading it a bit.

Jargo
06-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Not getting any.... Strangely, that's so true..... :dead:
As I typed I was getting a nicotine craving. had my alloted evening nicotine fix now so I feel better. :)

Seriously though, It is strange. I have nothing against Americans but for some reason the problem of accent based progamming does exist. See, American midwestern accents and ones from the Bronx or california seem really funny over here. At times they're inpenetrable.
There's also the speed of delivery in TV shows too. I can't watch say, the west wing or ER because the dialogue is delivered so fast half the time I can't catch what's being said. I don't know if this has something to do with the amount of ad breaks you guys get and the producers try to cram as much into each segment of the show as possible to beat the ads.

Over here we get one ad break every fifteen minutes in two minute slots. On the BBC channels there are no ads whatsoever. So half the time shows are just a half hour that seems rushed - over before it began. And afterwards I feel like I just had a brain zap. A blipvert for something I have no conscious recollection of but will end up going out and buying a product that was subliminally placed in my brain as the show rushed by. Not true but it sometimes feels that way.
So I sit down and watch the visuals not understanding or comprehending what's being said or the plot or anything about the superfastflipflopflyin' show. The credits roll by in a flash and I have no idea who was who or played by whom. But the company that made the show gets a full screen flash so all i remember is HBO or FOX or CBS. What's the point in shows if you don't remember a damn thing about them. This is why if i ever talk about shows in a thread I'm pretty vague.

Maybe that's an aquired thing that American TV watchers have got used to with more ad breaks and so many TV channels all these years. I'm still stuck with five TV channels to choose from and Cable and satellite is still pretty much a thing of the rich over here. There's hardly anyone in my area with it. Five lousy channels sucks!

back to the point.

I don't actually remember if there was a point..... :( accents, pronunciations, odd expressions, Canadians! :D They got a nice flag......... I just discovered I like maple syrup........ I used to have an e-pal who was french Canadian but he abandoned me and didn't say why............ Sealion Dion is canadian right? hmmm....... MOOSE!..... man Moose are daft looking animals....... Northern exposure is that the name of that show? I liked that but the doctor did my head in...... Can't think, brain going to sleep.........

On the 'Aboot' thing, aren't there alot of Scottish descended canadians? It would be perfectly logical for Scottish canadians to say that word that way as that's how Scottish people pronounce it. Allegedly....... But I can't see why it would be funny at all. You wouldn't laugh at a Scottish person if they said it. And if you did you'd pretty soon regret it... :eek:

I should probably shut up now. :D

billfremore
06-27-2002, 03:56 PM
I love all the american accents.

There is nothing funnier than a 5 year old talking with a southern drawl.

jjreason
06-27-2002, 04:16 PM
Quick tidbit on "eh". If we say it, it'll be at the end of a sentence. We're looking for a little confirmation on our point, whatever it might have been. The "eh" is posed as a shortened "don't you think?".
I have lived mainly in 2 parts of Canada, Ontario and British Columbia. The "accents" are pretty consistant in both places. We do have geographic language pattern differences, as do you in the US.
eg. Ontarians would say "I had to carry the groceries in from the car", whereas in BC they seem to say "I had to pack the groceries in from the car". Similar to Californians saying "Hella good" or "Hecka good" instead of "wicked, or awesome, or *****in', you get the idea.
Tim Hortons is better than your donut stores, and is slowly making inroads into the northern US after being bought by the Wendy's corporation a couple of years ago. Soon you will see the light.
Our beer is better, stronger, fresher, and created with more love.
We did beat you in a war back in 1812, pushed your men back to Washington and burned the White House, apparently. No, we don't think we could still win if it happened today.
Our legal system is less stringent when it comes to prosecuting drug users, sellers, etc. This has led to Vancouver being called the Amsterdam of North America. Simple possession of drugs, especially marijuana, is seldom dealt with in court - it's not deemed important enought to tie up a judge and Crown (DA) lawyers. As a cop and a father of young children I find this hard to swallow.
Canada is similar to the US inasmuch as we accept imigrants from many foreign nations into our country. People from elsewhere built Canada from the ground up. We (well, most of us - the others we're to embarrassed to recognize - same as you in the US) embrace our multicultural country, and consider our society a "mosaic" instead of your "melting pot".
Sorry, I love Canada.
Thanks for listening.

Jargo
06-27-2002, 04:48 PM
*gasp* "A cop? Here? Now? :eek: hide the stash guys... no -eeeuww! Not up there, just flush it quick...... what's that on your fingers? Is that - ? oh gross........................"

A cop, really? Never figured a cop to be a star wars kind of pers.... hmmm, hark at me, quite the little stereotyper :rolleyes:

Mosaic is an intersting term.....

Britain and Canada are so similar in so many ways it seems. The law over here is lenient on Ganja too. What's the point in all the hasle for an ounce of resin or bush? Sure, go the whole hog on the growers and importers - the big boys. But the users are better doped up so they cause less trouble. That's my opinion of it. Apparently the government thinks that way too. There's talk now of declassifying ganja. With crack being the more deadly drug of choice here now. coming down on Ganja users hardly seems relevent anymore, especially with many users being arthritis sufferers seeking relief from the pains they endure. It would be churlish to prosecute the afflicted I feel. Ecstasy, crack, heroin. I'd be worried anbout leniency on that little lot.

Just what do you do with your donuts apart from eat them? I like donuts with frosted sugar on them or with fresh full fat dairy cream in the middle, or apple. But they usually come as some kind of soggy lump of half cooked dough here. What's so special about Canadian donuts please? There's a lead into a very rude joke there but I think we should steer clear of that avenue...... :eek:

I have an untidy mind. You get what you get when you get it with me. :D

Jek Porky 2002
06-27-2002, 04:57 PM
On the subject of accents, have you noticed that the U.S being the huge country that it is, only has about three main accents, but here in the U.K being the small country that it is, we have about 5 or 6 main accents, there's Southern, where they emphasize on their 'r's like Hagrid on Harry Potter for example, then there's the London area accent or "cockney", no need to explain everyone knows what that sounds like, the stereotypical English accent, then there's Welsh, which I can't explain very well, but I'll try anyway, where their words sound kind of stoppy starty and they emphasize alot more on their words. then there is the midlands accent which sounds really dumb and koind of loik theis and and its realay irritiyteeng. Then there's the Liverpudlian scouser accent, which I imagin Jargo's got, for example that's the accent that the Beatles would have had when they first started. Then There's geordie which is what people from round Newcastle talk like, and I'm not even going to try and explain it, but it's really distinctive and very hard to understand if you're not from there. and then there's the basic northern accent, which is kind of like this: if yu cum frum up narth yu tark lak this, arite lad, purrus a brew on will yu, me thrort's dria thun a nun's [EDITED]

So why do we have so many accents and the Americans only have one or two, eh?

Mod Note:Removed the word, some may find that offensive
Dar' Argol

mabudonicus
06-27-2002, 05:23 PM
I'm not following you to flame you bro, but I gotta say, there're TONS of distinct accents in the US. Even western NY has a distinct one, compared to brooklyn, say. If you live here, you can tell. I can even tell if someone's from, say, toronto vs, say, London (ont), it all depends on your experience.
The point I wanted to make most is (and I can't remember-was it Croaker??) HOGTOWN BREWERY WENT UNDER, in like DECEMBER!!! AHHHH, I share your pain, that stuff ROCKED!!!! Got to get it from out west now, but it's SOOOO not the same thing, eh?
Jargo - was that a Judas Priest Quote??? "deliverin the goods"??

Jargo
06-27-2002, 06:04 PM
Mabudon, if I quoted anyone it was purely by accident. Not up on Judas Priest. "I am aware of the existence of the Judas priest phenomenon but......" :)

So how does canadian beer compare to British beer? I hear tell that American beer to british people is weak. We get bud and stuff over here but as tea totaller now I can't really say much. I used to drink cider personally which was three times as alcoholic as beer. On a night out I spent less and I was a cheap date... oh. that didn't sound right..... :( Cider rocks! well it used to...

Jek, I only have a faint local accent and I'm not a scouser because I don't live in Liverpool. Pendo would probably have that kind of accent if he's from the Everton or Anfield area. But even Liverpool has many varied accents depending on where abouts in the region you live. I'm across the water on the wirral and we have a different accent. Scouse is a phlegmy accent and the wirral accent is more nasal and throaty, harsher. But as i say - I'm from a middle class background that didn't really have accents but more of a neutral inbetweeny sort of thing going on.

Mabudon is right about Americans having very distinct accents. Take New York, there's tons of accents in different areas of New York. And add in the different social classes and you get a variety there too. Some upper class New Yorkers sound more British than british people. You've got the Bronx and Harlem then there's the broader region of New York state outside the City of New York with distinct regional accents all their own. Dryanta is from Maine which if I'm correct is still in New York state. I'm sure Dryanta sounds totally different to City dwellers.
The word we were looking for of course is dialect. Which covers the subtle differences in an accent.

In the UK, you could travel North East and go to Newcastle where you'd find a variety of dialects in different areas of the region. Each mini area has their own dialect and each finds the other areas hard to understand. That's where colloquialisms come into play. The different phrases people from diverse areas use to express the same concept.

Say you're thirsty for instance. How do you express that? I might say "I'm parched" where someone from Newcastle might say "I'm gaggin' fer a bevvy".

But then it gets confusing with migration as a person from newcastle travels to Liverpool and brings an expression with them which becomes local parlance because that person becomes part of the local community and influences the local language with their own brand of colourful language. So in an area of liverpool they start to say "I'm gaggin' fer a bevvy" too and then it spreads.......

Have I lost the thread of my post? yes. :D I guess I was just trying to point out that accents and dialects are so varied but interlinked. Caesar asked me what "Chocks away" means. If I tell him and he starts to use the expression in daily conversations I've influenced a dialect indirectly. It's a very British expression from the days of propeller powered aviation. But if Caesar uses it differently to mean "let's go" or more obtusely to indicate when someone just farted, what does that do to a local dialect. The way it's said with a local accent will change it. someone will mishear it and make up a new word, then that new word finds its way into everyday use and before you know it the damn thing has become the basis for a brand new language!

Now I've lost the plot. What was it you said Jek? Did I come close to giving a decent answer if it was a question? I'm going back to the dear Hasbro section, it's safer for me in there. Toys - yes simple, easy to follow... me want - me not want.......... :crazed:

jjreason
06-27-2002, 07:57 PM
Jargo, I was into Star Wars LONG before I got into law enforcement....
I would agree that busting pot users is relatively useless, they don't cause us the whack of trouble the crack-heads do. Cocaine is scary addictive, and the high wears off so fast that the users are nearly obliged to do crime to keep up with their habits. Cocaine is a true scourge of society. Crack leads to break-ins, break-ins lead to thefts, vandalism and sexual assaults, these crimes lead to suffering (to paraphrase a certain small green Jedi master).
The drug problem is difficult to solve attacking the supply. We need to diminish demand first, and let the suppliers kill each other off (was that out loud?).
Now back to why Canada kicks butt...
Our donuts are just good. Fully cooked, super tasty, and way bigger. Regardless of what you've heard, size matters.....
I personally like the ones that look like tractor tires. We buy them en masse at work just to reinforce the stereotype. One friend of mine starts each shift with a powdered model just to get the crap all over his jacket and shirt. Professional til the end.

Jargo
06-27-2002, 08:27 PM
I just noticed that you're a Mountie. cool! :cool: Nice hats the mounties wear........

Actually a darn sight better than the helmets the british bobbies wear.. they look so erm, can I say? phallic :eek: Don't know how those guys wear them all day without feeling just the teensiest bit embarrassed. Then again the guys who guard Buckingham palace have to wear a bloody great dead bear on their heads all day so I suppose the bobbies feel they got off lightly. :)

back on track.... yeah, crack is just starting to become a big problem here. It used to be that heroin was the biggie but obviously the fashion trend shifted. Where I live they shoved a load of addicts into housing association apartments just for somewhere to put them. So far there's been no trouble but it's just a matter of time...... kinda weird seeing all the emaciated grey skinned aliens wandering around like a big crimewave waiting to happen. Police presence is noticeably noticeable these days :) Why am I telling you this when the subject is donuts?

That's another thing we percieve about 'over there' that everything seems to have a need to be bigger and better than anywhere else. I don't know if the media concocted that image as a stereotype or whether it's actually so. But TV does portray 'our cousins' the other side of the pond as big eaters..... massive portions. people seem to always have food either cooking or tables laden with edible bounty. Do people really turn up on doorsteps carrying pot roasts or pie? That sort of thing rarely happens here. I'd feel mortified if anyone showed up bearing gifts of food. I'd think there was something wrong and I looked ill or something "just being neighbourly...." and that would be - why? :stupid:

How strange the British perspective is. I must admit that the huge donuts talk is making me salivate right now. it's 1.21 a.m and I haven't eaten since 6.00 pm.... mmmmmm donuts........ must find donuts........ blueberry donuts........ chocolate donuts..... mmmmmmmmm... D'OH! :rolleyes: :p

I'm afraid also that Monty Python did canadians no justice or favours with the lumberjack song........ for that I apologise. Possibly the largest contributing stereotype image we ever got and cannot eliminate from the national subconscious. Oops! :(

jjreason
06-27-2002, 08:42 PM
For all the good they did with laughter-therapy worldwide, they can be excused. I've not seen that bit however. Perhaps I'm being too lenient too soon.....
The last time someone showed up here with a prepared meal was last week, my boss and his wife showed up with it just after we got home from the hospital with the new baby. It was nice to not have to cook with all that going on! I can count on one hand the times people have brought meals over like that, though. Usually someone is sick, tired or has recently died!!
We do have nice hats....in the closet! We don't wear those red coats and stetson hats to work in, only on Remberance Day or at touristy type stuff, or at a funeral. Those bear-head guards are here, too, in Ottawa. I have a friend who did that, said it was pure hell. I believe it. Good luck on the donut hunt...
Sorry, I forgot to address the heroin addicts. Briefly, heroin is a depressant like booze and pot. These guys are rarely active enough to give us fits. They act sleepy when they're "down" on heroin. It comes and goes here, we do have a hardcore cadre of users that "chip" to get by (just use enough to feel normal until a better source comes along and they can score enough to get high again). Usually they only need one hit per day, so they're not always scrounging for cash to score. Weird topic for a Star Wars chat, but interesting! You should beware of them, not because of any propensity for violence, but because many of them (here anyway) are hepatitis or AIDS patients due to dirty needle use. It's way easier to get hepatitis than AIDS, and it can be every bit as deadly. Not to breed fear or anything....

Jargo
06-27-2002, 10:55 PM
I'm not really planning on sharing any spittle or blood with any heroin abusers to be honest JJ. :) Thanks for the tip but I already got that one from a local - clinic....... you can stop staring. Regular well man clinics carry all kinds of dreadful pamphlets on STD's and the like. Also lots of info glares at you from the walls. AIDS doesn't bother me. not frightned of that having dealt with it several times over with friends who are dead or dying. Hepatitis I learned about more as a security guard in a hospital dealing with drunks hobos and druggies. Not many but enoughto teach me to carry a pair of rubber gloves everywhere i go. Syringes turn up in the most unusual places when you take the dog for a walk. Just littered around the woods and the streets. Put on the gloves and very carefully remove the offending article to a safe place away from where the kids play and then dispose of the gloves and carry on walking the dog. Just a matter of fact way of life round here. I'm kinda blase about it all while still being watchful.
Not to bang on about it but it's life. This has been a cultural exchange type of thread so far so why not tell it like it is? :)

I hunted out the lumberjack song for you.

THE LUMBERJACK SONG

Composers: Terry Jones, Michael Palin, & Fred Tomlinson
Authors: Terry Jones & Michael Palin
Arranger: Fred Tomlinson
Lead Singer: Michael Palin

BARBER:
I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
I sleep all night and I work all day.

MOUNTIES:
He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

BARBER:
I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.

MOUNTIES:
He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shoppin'
And has buttered scones for tea.

BARBER:
I cut down trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars.

MOUNTIES:
He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps.
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around in bars?!

BARBER:
I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear Papa.

MOUNTIES:
He cuts down trees. He wears high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra?!

[talking]
What's this? Wants to be a girlie?! Oh, My!
And I thought you were so rugged! Poofter!

[singing]

He's a lumberjack, and he's okaaaaay.

that's about the sum of it. seems daft looking at it but the routine has done the damage...... Man - that was biting satire back in the day. How the world has changed. :(

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-28-2002, 12:50 AM
Here's a few points I like to address:

As someone who lives near the Canadian border, and has experienced several donut shops in the area for years, I have to finally capitulate a new winner for best donut shop. For years, Tim Horton's was #1 in my book. They have the best coffee, and wonderful cherry stick donuts (not to mention cruellers, eclairs, and everything else). However, last year a Krispy Kreme donut store opened up in the area. It took me months to finally go there (partly because of the crowds, the first 4 weeks traffic was nonstop) but I did and got a dozen of their glazed donuts and let me tell you. Those donuts were the best darn donuts ever concocted. They are hot and creamy and delicious. I normally feel like a pig if I eat 3 donuts in a sitting but I could easily eat 6 of those things and not feel guilty. I still go to Tim's a lot, but I have to say that the Krispy Kreme donut lives up to all the hype.

Someone mentioned Canadians sound like American broadcasters? Peter Jennings who anchors ABC World News Tonight is Canadian. I tell you they are infiltrating our country.

Did anyone see Canadian Bacon? Wonderful movie even though it bombed at the box office.

I did see some of that kowtowing to Americans on British TV. Comedy Central is replaying the British versions of Whose Line Is It Anyway, and it seems like the host, Clive Anderson, every show, addresses points to American audiences at home on things such as "lifts" which are elevators, and just who Cilla Black is. This is a British TV show and I see no reason why Brits have to Americanize it.

2-1B
06-28-2002, 12:53 AM
2 things Jargo,

1) I already started using "chocks away old bean" before you expalined what it meant. :D Wow, did I get some funny looks from saying it. :happy: But thanks for clearing it up!

2) You mentioned Pendo - has anyone heard from him lately? His last post was over 3 weeks ago - I miss him. :( I sent a PM to see where he's been, hopefully he'll be back soon. :)

mabudon, what did my accent sound like? I'm terribly embarrassed by the way alot of people talk in my area, I try avoiding certain traps but its hard to avoid while immersed in it. :D

Jonna
06-28-2002, 01:39 AM
Alright, all joking aside, what is with this mayonesses on the french fries busness. I'm not making a joke , I am just trying to understand.

2-1B
06-28-2002, 01:54 AM
I'm an American, and I love mayo with French Fries. Or Miracle Whip. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-28-2002, 02:30 AM
Aren't Canadians better known for their gravy fries (poutin) rather than mayo on fries. Even Burger Kings up in Canada dish out that stuff and McDonald's sells pizza.

jjreason
06-28-2002, 02:57 AM
From what I understand, the mayo on fries originated in Holland, not Canada. Many of us travel there on holdays (doesn't everyone?) but we tend to get the Royal treatment there due to war history (apparently we got there country back for them from the Germans some years back). So, many of us come back from Holland smiling and one of the ways we can remember the good fun (without losing our jobs or families) is to enjoy a good bit of mayo on fries! Yay, Holland! John Travolta and Mace Windu speak of this briefly near the beginning of Pulp Fiction, for anyone who cares.
McDonald's here gave up on Pizza a couple of years ago. Thank goodness.
Quebecers invented Poutine, which is fries with cheese CURDS, not cheese, drenched in brown gravy. Fire on a pound of salt and you're off to the races. It's actually good, once you get over what you're eating and give in to your taste buds and lipophillic appetite.
Krispy Kreme donuts are amazingly good, but they do lend themselves to being eaten in mass quantities. Should I happen upon another store in my lifetime, I'll likely pass as I nearly barfed up my load of sugar and fat last time. Tasty, though.

Jonna, try the mayo. Start with a little bit and see what happens.

I love the British saying "taking the ****". Im just not exactly sure if it means making fun of good naturedly or really talking down to. Someone help me out.

2-1B
06-28-2002, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by jjreason
I love the British saying "taking the ****". Im just not exactly sure if it means making fun of good naturedly or really talking down to. Someone help me out.

Yes, that's another one Jargo got me going on, specifically when he started a thread called "Hasbro UK are taking the ****!". :D
It has creeped into my vocab much like "chocks away."

Alas, I'm just a wannabe Englishman stuck in the American Midwest. :(

:D

Jargo
06-28-2002, 08:38 AM
taking the **** is a somewhat cruder way of saying taking the michael. Which is probably a jibe at the Irish who have been lampooned as dim for centuries. The fact that so many Irishmen are called Michael owing to the ir religious roots has something to do with it I guess. Or perhaps it's a jibe at a particular Michael who was prominent at the time the expression began.

Anyway, taking the **** is for when people are basically pulling the wool over your eyes or trying to. If someone chances their arm trying to pull a sickie from work then they're taking the ****.
If someone is trying to dupe you with shonky goods then they're taking the ****. Much like the new toys for the saga line :) hasbro were taking the ****.

I think it's funy that I just used 'shonky' which is an Australian expression. See what I mean by colloquialisms migrating? An Americanism that crept in over here is "fer sure" used as an affirmation. "Hi" is another one we never used until the eighties.
language barriers are breaking down globally which can only be a good thing I reckon. trouble is that a lot of really cool words and expressions are being lost as the lazines creeps in. I'm probably going to get it in the neck for saying this but the way I see people on American talk shows saying "Aks" instead of "Ask" really ticks me off. It's just laziness and a lack of education that warps language mostly. The "Aks" thing is pretty indicative though. It used to be that black people said it but now us honky's are using it too.

See once you get me started I can't stop and just ramble off :rolleyes:

Here's a Liverpool expression for you for when people earwig on your converstion and then join in uninvited - gegging in - which is probably the same as butting in. But now you have an alternative.
maybe we should start a cultural exchange thread and swap words and expressions, one world one community, one voice YAY! C to the O the O to the L..... something like that anyway...... :D

Mayo is disgusting. I prefer Heinz salad cream. basically the same thing with vinegar added to the recipe. Tangier and more flavoursome. Mayo is too bland for me. Chips should have ketchup smothered all over them to be eaten properly. This diping lark is too dainty and poncey for my liking. Just wallop the dressing all over and wolf it all down :D As my dad used to say when I didn't like the food on my plate - "get it down yer neck, it'll do yer good" which is an erroneous statement as getting it down my neck when I didn't like it resulted inme vomiting it back up. Pointless exercises in parental supervision no56 is what i call that.

I'm off again, talk later grizzly dudes. :happy:

Croaker
06-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Hey there again.

Firstly - Mabudon - Hogtown went UNDER???!!!
I suppose that's what I get for leaving the country for a few months. Damn. I have some friends who used to work there (I guess).

Beer - Yes British beer is weak. The average lager is about 3.8% alcohol.
That's less than 'light' beer in Canada which is about 4% at least.
You can get a decent ice brew in Canada that's around 7%.
And our bottles are bigger (but a pint's a pint)

Yes, the mayo thing I believe came from the dutch. One of their monarchs was having a baby during the war, but she was in Canada and there's this rule that says that royalty must be born on Dutch soil, so Canada gave that hospital room to the Dutch. They have this tiny territory in the middle of Canada!
In thanks they send tons of tulips over every year.
(I think it's the dutch, not sure though)

Americans like hiring Canandians as newscasters because they don't have any of the US regional accents.
And just for interest - the Newfoundland accent is very similar to the Irish. (where it derived from)

billfremore
06-28-2002, 11:11 AM
I think people in the world in general like us Canadians because we're the big, friendly country...

...this is why we should attack somebody, they'd never expect it! ;)

Let's attack France and get all the french people mad at us! :D

Jonna
06-28-2002, 12:23 PM
I think people in the world in general like us Canadians because we're the big, friendly country...

...this is why we should attack somebody, they'd never expect it! ;)

Let's attack France and get all the french people mad at us! :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:crazed:

OOOOOOOHH. The French are angry! I am so, so scared. But be carefull of the dreaded baget!

Jargo
06-28-2002, 02:13 PM
Hey! get your own enemy. the French are ours and we gonna bust their butt one day like we did plenty of times before. The lousy garlic-munchin'-frog-chewing-snail-slurping bums.... oh, um - hahaha :D Canada has a large French quotient doesn't it..... I love the French, just look what they've given the world - Art Nouveau, the Baget, Croissant, Edith Piaf, Sacha Distel, Alain Delon, Catherine Deneuve (mm mm mm! :)) Bridget 'so-so' bardot, Citroen cars, ****oirs, poodle parlours, the cannes film festival, Jean Michel Jarre, Jean Paul Gaultier, Chanel, Christian Dior...... did I suck up enough yet? good.

Is it Toronto where you guys have that whacking great tower sticking up like a thunb tack on a pole a million miles high? talk about penis envy....! :rolleyes: Why on earth do people feel the need to build these erections in our cities.

My partner is painting the kitchen and the fumes are getting to me...

Tell you who we should attack - the swiss. bloody wet liberals sitting on the fence in all the arguments, actually half the bloody illegal arms that are shipped around the globe go through Switzerland. There's a loophole in their laws which allows arms to travel through the country but not to be shipped to there as a destination. So as a stop off point in a long haul transportation the shipment wouldn't really have to stop anywhere that has stringent arms laws and so you can send arms across the world unchecked or noticed. Funny that a neutral country allows the transportation of weapons of mass destruction to go on in their own back yard...... let's all attack the Swiss for being smarty farty pants. :D

Hmmm, British beer from a pump and bottle is weak but you need to go to a real ale pub. The beverages on sale there are superb. None of this fizzy stuff or light stuff or ice stuff. This is the real stuff brewed in wooden kegs by family businesses not commercial giants with nothing but profits at stake. Real ales are brewed by companies who care about the product and their reputation. We have one real ale pub where I live that is so cool. There's no mirrors or posh decor or brass anywhere, no loud music. It's just the pub - the beer and cider - and the people who go there for a decent bevvy. The other kind of pub is for the lager louts who think drinking fifteen pints in one night is nothing and getting legless and throwing up on themselves and bagging the local moose and catching a venereal disease and waking up in a police cell is cool. Morons, that's who drinks in most pubs here. The intelligent go to real ale pubs and talk to one another in a civillised way while enjoying the pleasant atmosphere and relaxed surroundings. Not to mention the excellent beers on offer.

Y'know, if I had any qualifications I'd be deadly. You can tell me to shut up anytime and I'll deftly ignore you. :happy: I'm enjoying this thread.

mabudonicus
06-28-2002, 05:21 PM
I can see the tower from our shore, on the opposite side of Lake Ontario, Jargo!!! It is indeed as you describe, VERY much so. Croaker- I share your pain:( that stuff was my Fave for a year or two. try Black Oak Nut Brown...
Also- our beer's % is measured differently here than over there, so the strength is more per %unit in England. And Yeah they make good beer there too. The US also has some good ones, petes wicked comes to mind. NEVER BUD or COORS, though. I just can't do it (although on occasion I get down to my urban side and grab a colt 45.... even if only for the Billy Dee commercial.
Caesar- yeah, you got an accent, but I'll have to hear it again- I wasn't thinking and deleted the message. Try and call anytime you like.

jjreason
06-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Yeah, the CN tower is phallic for sure, but the hilarity of adding the scrotal-Skydome at the base of the thing has had me peeing my pants for a decade. Ill never forget the "name the building" contest when people were voting hand over fist for "Conn Dome" (for Conn Smythe) because it sounded like condom and seemed to "fit".
I'd love to hit the UK sometime and check out the quiet type ale pubs. That would be my scene if I were there, Im pretty sure. I got my fill of being the lout in university. Maybe when Im 50 and the kids have packed and gone Ill get my chance.

Jek Porky 2002
06-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Hey Jargo don't forget the bit before waking up in a police cell, you have to stand next to someone and let them bump into you on purpose so you can beat them up in front of your mates, that's there idea of a good night out!

So you're a real ale drinker, eh? Me and my dad brew the stuff, and whenever we go out we always have to look for a real ale pub, otherwise we just won't drink anywhere else!

anarky
06-28-2002, 05:53 PM
well, the tower has to be big--how else could it control all the united states' nuclear weapons?

everyone here seen canadian bacon, or do you have to rent it to get that joke?

Jonna
06-28-2002, 05:54 PM
It is such a hidious movie, I just can't understand why I watch it every time it's on tv.

Jargo
06-28-2002, 08:14 PM
Scrotal skydome. like the sound of that. Probably better lookingthan the Millenium dome here in sunny britain. I can't remember the exact figure but to build and maintain the largest circus tent events arena in the Northern hemisphere the government here shoved about 64,000,000 UK sterling into the affair. That works out at roughly 97,446,446.33 US Dollars and 147,372,840.76 Canadian Dollars.
Supposedly this was to be a national arena and site of national pride but they made it to last just one year. Now the government have given it away to an American company. They'll get a cut of the profits from any ventures the Americans go into on the site but they'll never get back the millions they squandered on this failure.

We just don't do monuments well at all.

Canadian bacon? Is that like a 'teen' movie or a big action thing cuz I won't watch either. Come to think of it i can't remember the last time I watched a movie other than the last two star wars movies. Nothing makes me want to sit in a dark room with idiots talking all the way through in the row behind me that much. I did go to see midnight in the garden of good and evil a while back. That was cool but only for kevin Spacey and the 'jive talking' tranny.

Gosh I'm so fluent in the lingo of the young....... urban street or whatever they call it these days. trip hop flip hop hip flop, (c)rap, surfer speak, skater speak, lazy as hell made up speak. The funniest thing is watching English kids aping Americans and Canadians. They all want to be Enemanem or whoever he is. All big pants and baseball caps and silly hand gesticulating and slouching and staring indolently at everyone who goes near. like everyone has a social disease called no fashion sense. But wearing fashion means you're out of date as soon as you put the damn things on. The cool thing to do is to wear the classic styles of clothing that never go out of fashion because they invented it. Check shirts and Levi 501 blue jeans, white t-shirts, loafers, a nice windcheater and a comfortable sweater. All this synthetic fibers neo-sportswear is turning our kids heads to jelly. Time we got back to basics and stopped giving them so much choice. Choices harm kids. Kids can't think for themselves and need guidance at every turn. And a good beating every now and again to instill some discipline. And make them start listening to real music like - like John Denver or Neil Diamond. None of this repetitive beat rubbish or rythm and blues nonsense why that's just subverting the minds of the young! :crazed:

Oh man I'm getting old. I do not undestand the attraction of trying to be like someone else or be like everyone in a group all wearing the same outfits or damn near the same outfits. That's what it seems like is coming over the big pond frommthe urban streets of America and canada right now. Every kid is interchangeable because they look and sound exactly the same. There is no distinction or personality to any of them anymore. What the hell happened in the last twenty years?
Tell me, where you are is there a gang of kids on a street corner or playground or parking lot that all look alike? I saw my nephew the other day with his friends and I couldn't pick him out among allthe clones of him, all in baseball shirts and shorts and with identical trainers and baseball caps and the same hairstyle. They all use the same lingo and slang and they all have attitude. And he's just twelve. Next thing he'll be packin' heat and holding up liquor stores for kicks and running a drugs cartel and driving round in a motor with lowered suspension and a stereo to rival a stadium set up with bass at sub frequencies that make elephants moan with pleasure.........

hehehe, I sometimes wonder how you guys see me. Probably like some demented weirdo in a darkened room with a fishtank ful of pirahnas and a venus flytrap plant and a bank of computer monitors and snot dribbling from my nose and a mad glint in my bloodshot eyes...... well if you didn't see me like that before you won't get the image out of your heads now! hehehe..... :evil:

jjreason
06-28-2002, 08:22 PM
Too funny. I think our opinion of the youngsters changes as we get older and more out of touch with what's "in".

mabudonicus
06-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Canadian Bacon is a REALLY intelligent comedy made by Michael Moore, of "roger and me" fame... I ithink you'd LOVE it, Jargo... Unless you're the way you THINK we see you...
Smart, Funny, Alan Alda as the "soft touch" US president.....
I watch it every year or so, and it KILLS me every time... wait'll you see Moore's cameo..
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Jargo
06-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Someone said to me recently that you know when you're getting old because the policemen start to look too young to be policemen. guess what.... :rolleyes: They all look about fifteen round here! like if you said BOO! they'd run crying to their mothers.

I shall keep an eye out or open for canadia bacon next time I visit my local emporium of DVD and VHS wares. See if i can get hold of a copy to peruse. I like Alan Alda anyway. In fact i seem to recall seeing a clippet of this on a movie review show a while back. the Alan Alda as a president thing triggerd a vague memory.....

British films are poopoo. I dunno what it is exactly but the most obvious thing is a lac of colour from a lack of sunshine. maybe they film these things on cheap film stock but they alays come out looking drab dreary and grey. They get written by middle class idiots who have no idea how people really speak and then middle class directors cast middle class actors to play all the roles. Try watching Jack and Sarah starring Richard E. Grant of Withnail and I fame. His accent is so cut glass that all i ever hear him say is "fffarfefar f far farfar far" like his tongue is stuck in the back of his throat and he's trying to retch it up. Brilliantly moving movie though. If a little cutesy and schmaltzy. Don't watch it with your mates round cuz you'll cry buckets. But it's not an intelligent movie just a gentle comedy drama.
I suppose A fish called Wanda was a good british movie and of course we knew how to do it right back in the sixties, but by the seventies we'd lost it big time.

Right that's me for today. cheerio toodlepip chinchin! :)

2-1B
06-28-2002, 09:05 PM
Back to the French, are they responsible for the bidet ? :mad:

jjreason
06-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Don't know, but those are fun. Super clean fun. British movies that don't suck:
Snatch. So much more than just a word to trigger the giggles...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-29-2002, 12:50 AM
My favorite part of Canadian Bacon (besides the Omega Force and the Helms Amendment part) are when Boomer and Honey, who play Americans, are on the streets of Toronto to get to the CN Tower. They constantly push through the crowd of Canadians, bumping rudely into people, knocking people over, and all you hear from the Canadians are "sorry" "didn't mean to get in your way."

I also liked the part when John Candy says "Canadian beer sucks!" at the hockey game in Canada, starting a brawl. The part when they infiltrate Canada and sing all the U.S.A. themed songs they can think of, is also a classic scene. I also like the part when the Canadian mounty terrorizes the poor businessman prisoner because of corporate malfeseance.

billfremore
06-29-2002, 02:37 AM
I anticipate someday some enemy ship will be off the coast of Newfoundland only to be intercepted by one our "ships":

Canadian ship

Attention invading vessel!
You have entered sovereign Canadian waters...

...can we get you anything?

Attention le vessel invading!
(We have to do things in both official languages here)

Jek Porky 2002
06-29-2002, 06:30 AM
I saw an interview with Bryan Adams this morning, I have to say that his accent sounds quite Irish but with a bit of American in there aswell. When asked about his latest fil Spirit he answered, "Well it's aboat...." so they don't say aboot, they say aboat, and then when the interviewer said that he'd sold over 50,000,000 albums he said, "yeah, can you imagin the guy who has to press them all, eh?" I just laughed out loud when he said that!

mabudonicus
06-29-2002, 10:24 AM
That's why we don't have nukes, Freemore, we just couldn't figure out how to make em polite enough:)
Yes , the French made the Bidet, but you must understand , "french" and "french Canadian" are COMPLETELY different things. If you need elaboration, I can TRY....
And, in reference to JJreason's last post.... why MUST that word be in this thread:)? I laughed so hard, even just at the "inexorability" of it all...... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Jargo
06-29-2002, 10:53 AM
Hmmm, yeah Guy Ritchie made a couple of 'cool' briflicks. But the gangster thing wore thin when we all discovered he was mockney not cockney and then he got hitched to madonna which ruined his credibility period. When i said british movies were dreary I was meaning things like Shallow grave and trainspotting. UGH! Always the underbelly of society. I don't want merchant Ivory costume dramas either but there has to be a middle ground somewhere or else there's going to be a legacy of greyness attached to the British film undustry forever whereas Canada has one of the most innovative and creative arenas of film and TV around. Always thought provoking and interestingly quirky. I could sit and watch Canadian cinema forever but wouldn't be bothered to sit through Hollywood crap.

jjreason, you get fun from a bidet....... ? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: oh - that kind of fun.........

Jek Porky 2002
06-29-2002, 01:04 PM
I hate all British movies, no offence Jargo, but there always set in the deprived area of cities like Liverpool or Sheffield, and to me they look very dull dreary and the picture quality is really sort of haisey. And I'm absoloutly sick to death of Gangster movies starring Vinnie Jones and all of the other same boring, frightening looking people, it's just got boring!

Jargo
06-29-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm sick of the negative stereotyping of Liverpool too. If it isn't beatles beatles beatles it's filthy theiving scallywags and lazy layabouts. GRRRRRRRR :mad:

I just remembered that my Aunt's sister still lives on vancouver island. Don'task me whereabouts though. Not that I should have remembered that as I only met her a couple of times. whatever.....

Jek Porky 2002
06-29-2002, 03:39 PM
Sorry Jargo, I wasn't getting at Liverpool, that's why I used the words "deprived areas" all towns and cities have them, it's just it gets picked up more in Northern towns.

Jargo
06-29-2002, 03:51 PM
I know Jek, yeah, and then they make a soap opera from it all. Soaps from oversees are all glitz and glitter and ours are just kitchen sink dreariness. Like having your relatives that you hate show up every suppertime to bore the pants off you :D

but all of this has nothing to do with canadians...

Jek Porky 2002
06-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Correct, have you read my post aboot Bryan Adams?

Jargo
06-29-2002, 04:18 PM
Mmm, saw that earlier. I'm saying nothing...... :happy: Does Bryan live over here these days? Seems to be here all the time.

Jek Porky 2002
06-29-2002, 04:39 PM
I reckon he probably does, his accent sounds quite Irish, maybe he's living over there, eh?

mabudonicus
06-30-2002, 01:35 AM
What's all this then?? Avin a tea party are yes...RIGHT!!!
Just got ot say, Man about the house beats 3s company hands down... most movies from anywhere stink these days... I watch a lot of Ultraman episodes from the 60s to get by these days...Just wanted to keep this on track..... We've had the worst pollution in history here lately, and the gov't.. whoops- no politics for me, thanks........ WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

jjreason
06-30-2002, 01:42 AM
That's probably the hugest difference I've noticed between BC and Ontario, Mabudon, the lack of pollution here. I live way up north, 40 nautical miles from Alaska, and it's SO CLEAN! The air, the rain, the water, everything. What a great change. No WalMart though.....no ANYTHING!
Let's talk HOCKEY! How can a Canadians thread go on this long without anyone getting on that wagon?? I know Mabudon loves the Leafs (sad for him) while myself and SWAFMAN love the Red Wings. Or should I say "Stanley Cup Champion Red Wings"??!!
Hockey is the greatest sport in the world to watch and to play.

mabudonicus
06-30-2002, 11:06 AM
JJreason- my lawyer buddy lives in Campbell river- if I go to visit him, we should hook up. I came to BC by a 70 hour bus ride last year, just to see- I stayed at Van U for a couple days, it's beautiful there, then took the ferry to Victoria, then hitchhiked to the Juan de Fuca trail, and stayed on mystic beach for a couple days. It was honestly the most beautiful place I've ever been, I will return there.
I have to go for a sec, I'll post again later today about HOCKEY and Canada Day (tomorrow, for anyone who cares)
Will you be busy cause of that, JJ? The police here will be, for sure.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Boba Fitt
06-30-2002, 01:06 PM
Yup... hockey sure rocks! But as of late, I could care less about it. The talent pool is pretty thin and far too many expansion teams. It's just not as fun to watch anymore.

Boston Bruins rule, and the Habs suck! Now I know thats going to raise the ire of some fellow Canadians here! hehehehe....

mabudonicus
06-30-2002, 01:33 PM
As I was logging in, the "when I was 17" as sung by Homer simpson was playing on the radio ..."My name was Brian mcgee"
Boba Fitt.. When I lived up north, I was a big bruins fan, I was allowed to stay up late for games (back in the 70s they were BRUTAL,eh?) . I moved down into the brown horseshoe and somehow being here tricked me into being a Leafs fan (round about 82 or 83, I think- i was maybe 11 or so) I Love the team for some reason, right now I'm even making custom figures of Lanny Macdonald and Tie Domi out of GI joes- I'll post pics when they're done. Hockey is great, grown men, chasing each other around with sticks, trying to kill each other with a frozen disc or rubber....
Ahhh yeah, the BEST thing is that with all the expansion teams, the playoffs make the actual hockey season, like 10 months long. :)
I'm kidding, there're too many teams, but if you were Canadian and watching your last teams leaving the COUNTRY THAT INVENTED HOCKEY, it's scary. The Leafs are a fairly rich team, but one never knows. Golf Leafs Golf!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

jjreason
06-30-2002, 02:57 PM
Canada Day up here will be fairly tame, nobody extra scheduled to work. We lost quite a few members to G8 at Kananaskis, they're just getting back to Prince Rupert. Im sure some unlucky bugger has been pegged to walk around in the red serge, unfortunately.
I think it's pretty important to keep the teams in Canada. If the Saskatchewan gov't can fund the Roughriders, Rich Ralph Klein can pay for the Oilers and Flames to hang tough in Alberta. I think the Canucks, Canadiens and (for sure) the Leafs can compete financially. The Senators should pack up and move to Hamilton - a city that would support and appreciate them properly. There are great fans in Ottawa, 4 of them I think. I went to a game there back in 95, and the Bruins fan blew out the Sens ones. These people need to learn to cheer, like the fans at the Jays games in the Dome. Crikey.
Hamilton is a hockey town, no doubt, and would properly fill up a that nice Copps barn night in and night out for NHL hockey.
Mabudon, if you're coming this way give me some heads up time. I'd love to get down to Vancouver for a visit but I need to clear my time off well in advance.

mabudonicus
06-30-2002, 04:00 PM
I guess it really IS all about Hockey, after all.... JJ, if I know I'm coming, I'll give you as much time as there is :)!! BC is, indeed, the friendliest place I've ever been- I made at least a couple of cool friends there, pretty much met them all in the most Unlikely places. In Victoria (and I look like a freak) even the most 'distingushed" looking types gave me an honest "Hello, how are you today", in this town, you can't even LOOK at most people- it's like people here are trying to catch up to the general rudeness and disrespect levels of TO.
Hamilton can't have an NHL team for one reason- buffalo would go under. The way the TV deals have been working for them they're already cutting a lot of corners (includin holding training camp in town here- a couple years back I booed Hasek as he was beaten 6 times in a 10 minute period, intrasquad game!!) They campaign for fans here like CRAZY. Hamilton would take a couple fans away from the Leafs, maybe (good riddance!!:)), but living here and knowing the "score", I can honestly say that the real loser would be Buffalo (it's the closest, cheapest place to see the Leafs play, even with the border). Check out penaltybox.com for some interesting Leafs/ niagara region/ Toronto style dirt (it's a Leafs fansite, the BEST one)

Jargo
07-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Okay Carl, I'm posting this here cuz I can't stick it in a PM and I don't think i have an e-mail contact so here's the avatar you asked for. Don't know if it's exactly what you wanted but if not I can tweak it a little. I tried to keep all three characters as evident as possible but it gets a little messy. Anyway, hope it's what you were after. :)

billfremore
07-05-2002, 09:55 AM

The Senators should pack up and move to Hamilton - a city that would support and appreciate them properly. There are great fans in Ottawa, 4 of them I think. I went to a game there back in 95, and the Bruins fan blew out the Sens ones. These people need to learn to cheer, like the fans at the Jays games in the Dome. Crikey.

Somehow I think Jays fans will have less and less to cheer about as time goes on.

We Senator fans have gotten quite a bit louder since 1995.
There wasn't much to cheer about back then.

You guys may find this interesting, they did a survey of season ticket holder here in Ottawa and asked them what they want the team to do next year.

The second most popular answer was win the Stanley Cup.

The most popular response was defeat the Leafs in the playoffs.

jjreason
07-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Bill, I totally root for the Senators and would love them to smoke the Leafs in the playoffs. More power to them. I never got to see them play in the new building (the Corel centre in Kanata, is that right?) and I know things have changed up there. I hope they can stay in Ottawa for the sake of you and the others who support them. My recommendation for the team to move to Hamilton is only based on my belief that Hamilton should have a team, not my belief that Ottawa shouldn't. Both cities, as well as Quebec City and Winnipeg, should have NHL franchises. It's crappy they don't. In a perfect world the federal government would see to it that these teams would survive, but then we'd have others complaining about misallocation of funds :rolleyes:. C'est la vie. I wish the Sens best of luck next season, and I'd like to see them accomplish BOTH of those fan's requests!

billfremore
07-05-2002, 03:34 PM
I do agree with you that Hamilton should have a franchise but unfortunately since all teams have to agree on what city gets a team it will never happen.

Toronto and Buffalo will never allow a team to be based right in between them to suck away their fans.

I miss the Nordiques, I think the NHL is a poorer place for having them move. A professional hockey league needs a team with fleur de lys all over their jerseys. :D

DarthBrandon
07-05-2002, 05:26 PM
I've been saying this all along when I lived in T.O. Wish they had a team in Hamilton, cause I know the people there would support it. It's just that dam space between Buff and T.O. that would never allow it.

jjreason
07-05-2002, 05:38 PM
Yeah, pity about the Sabres. Wait, there's the answer right there! Why not take the Sabres and move THEM to Hamilton?

DarthBrandon
07-06-2002, 02:30 AM
Buffalo would never allow that.

jjreason
07-06-2002, 02:38 AM
Do they make any money down there, Brandon? I used to live in London, and had many friends that went to Buffalo frequently to see the Habs play. As a Wings fan, I was always saving to go to Joe Louis instead, as the Wings only play in Buffalo once a year (I believe, though it may be twice??) and those tickets were tough to come by. I've heard from these same people that the new barn down there is pretty nice - and pretty empty most nights. They apparently accept Canadian money at par one game per month, and that's the only game they sell out! Im sure it's people from Niagara, Hamilton and TO that are creating those crowds.
Besides, the Sabres fortunes have taken a drastic turn for the worse over the past 2 seasons. It was not long ago they were victimized by that illegal Hull goal in the finals, now they're floundering.
The ownership should experiment by playing a few preseason (and a few regular season for that matter) games at Copps to compare the revenues. I'd just love to see a team leave the US for Canada once!

DarthBrandon
07-06-2002, 02:47 AM
Don't get me wrong jjreason, I would love to see it happen, but in all likelyhood if the team is in dire straits, or floundering as you put it, I just can't see them going to Hamilton. The States basically controls the NHL now and it would be most likely that an American city would get Buffalo's team as opposed to our Hamilton city. Plus the players don't like Canadian money all that much, they love American money.

jjreason
07-06-2002, 03:39 AM
You're right. The NHL is probably about as marketable right now as it's ever been. Expansion into the Southern US seems to have worked the second time (although I fear things may be souring in Miami). I'd like to see a team in Hamilton, but not at the expense of Buffalo. Im actually pretty happy with hockey and the NHL in general right now, 2002 was the best year for me in ages with the Wings winning and Canada scooping 2 gold medals, and Cujo signing with the Wings...it goes on and on! As long as the on-ice product stays at this caliber, the NHL is in for a lucrative stretch here. The international players entering the NHL en masse has let the quality of hockey stay incredibly high while at the same time allowing for expansion into new markets. Yay hockey!

mabudonicus
07-06-2002, 10:04 AM
Hey guys. I posted this somewhere else. I have some inside info, but it's no big secret. The Sabres are "THE team" in our town, they have an office here and everything. They do their training camp in town here. Toronto would have no worries about a hamilton team. They DO play Leafs exhibition games in Hamilton now, and they're well attended. Most of my buddies who go to games go to buff to see Canadian teams (Habs or Leafs, mostly).
The only thing stopping hamilton from franchaise is Buff, cause they would be ruined by such a thing. Especially since it's cheaper (and POSSIBLE) to see the Leafs in buff, if the area market could just go to the Hammer, no-one would cross the border anymore for hockey, there'd be enough on our side to go around. The Leafs wouldn't lose, and would even benefit from the rivalry (look at the CFL!!)

DarthBrandon
07-06-2002, 02:26 PM
I don't know what's going to happen, all I know is what we would like to happen. More teams in Canada are what I would like to see and Hamilton is a safe bet for a semi-or really successful team. But I do believe that the U.S. will get a new team before us Canadians, it's just the way things operate now with the majority of the teams in the U.S. I'm a hockey nut myself and my teams are Toronto, Detroit, and any other Canadian teams out there in that order. Toronto cause Iíve always liked the team since I was a kid and plus I lived there for six years. Detroit what can I say about them yzerman, Shanahan, McCarty, Hull, Chelios, Bowman, aw heck the whole dam team is awesome. As for the rest of the Canadian teams I support them all, we have to, cause if we don't they will not be around later. My vote is for a team in Hamilton, whether or not it happens, it's not in our hands to decide.

Go Leafs, Wings and the rest of the Canada's teams, it's time for the cup to come home.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-07-2002, 12:48 AM
Do they make any money down there, Brandon? I used to live in London, and had many friends that went to Buffalo frequently to see the Habs play. As a Wings fan, I was always saving to go to Joe Louis instead, as the Wings only play in Buffalo once a year (I believe, though it may be twice??) and those tickets were tough to come by. I've heard from these same people that the new barn down there is pretty nice - and pretty empty most nights. They apparently accept Canadian money at par one game per month, and that's the only game they sell out! Im sure it's people from Niagara, Hamilton and TO that are creating those crowds.
Besides, the Sabres fortunes have taken a drastic turn for the worse over the past 2 seasons. It was not long ago they were victimized by that illegal Hull goal in the finals, now they're floundering.
The ownership should experiment by playing a few preseason (and a few regular season for that matter) games at Copps to compare the revenues. I'd just love to see a team leave the US for Canada once!

First of all, the Sabres owners are in financial straits. The Adelphia Cable Company, headed by John Rigas, owns the team. They paid $5 million dollars for the team a few years back and assumed a debt load in the tens of millions (debt due to the lease of the HSBC Arena and costs to constructing it NOT due to lack of fan support). But Adelphia has been caught up in one of those Worldcom, Enron "cooking the book" schemes that has been going around corporate America lately. They inflated their earnings in order to try and attract investment and they got caught. Now the team has been taken over the NHL and will likely be sold in order to pay down some of their debts. It will most likely be sold to a group of local owners and not to some entity that wishes to move the team to some other locale (Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen was interested in buying it but Gary Bettman said no).

Second of all I don't think anyone will win if the team moves to Canada. Buffalo is a small market team, the smallest NHL team in the U.S. I believe. But they have continued to support the team for 30+ years. Last year attendance was down, somewhere around 17,500, but that still put them in a Top 5 all time attendance category (not bad for a city with a pop. of less than 300,000). The Sabres popularity has even eclipsed the Buffalo Bills stranglehold over the area (due to a Bills 2-13 season, but that will soon change now that the Bills have Drew Bledsoe). If the team moves than it will further cement the belief that small markets have no place in hockey or pro sports. Buffalo is a rust-belt city. It has a pretty active hockey population. Losing the team will strike a severe blow in it's already low self image. The team also lost an NBA franchise in 78' that is now the Clippers but I guess that was okay. Why not let a floundering franchise like Tampa Bay or Anaheim move to Canada. No offense, but they aren't exactly hockey hotbeds and while some fans would be saddened many probably wouldn't care less.

I do believe the NHL does owe Canada big time for the loss of the Nordiques and Jets and the fact that Canada has been passed over by expansion over the past few years. But it looks like the direction that Gary Bettman has taken is to expand into bases that have no real taste of hockey (Phoenix, Carolina etc.) I think that direction has been mixed at best. Maybe it is time for a franchise to be added to Canada, but make sure it is a floundering one. The Sabres are not. Tampa Bay, maybe? And btw, does Hamilton have a big enough arena to support the NHL? I think the Copps Coliseum can only hold 12,000 max and that would deter the NHL from adding a franchise there.

jjreason
07-07-2002, 03:22 AM
I was under the impression that Copps held a lot more people than that, but I don't know. If the Sabres are drawing 17500 fans per game, than there is no chance they'll move. It wouldn't make any sense at all. I hope they can get the ownership straightened out, it's always a shame when gets moved due to lack of support - that's apparently not the case in Buffalo. I know that city has great fans, having been to Rich Stadium for Bills games a few times. That city does need a pro championship of some kind worse than any other place I can think of.
Don't fret over losing the Clippers. How can they have stayed that much of a mess for so long? Thank god THEY didn't move to Hamilton.....

mabudonicus
07-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Just gotta bump this back up. I'm hoping that the "olympic hockey" thread, which went NHL recently, will be merged with this one, cause even though the season's over, big stuff is happening.
I just wanna know, if there's ANYONE here who can make what is happening now with the Leafs sound good in any way, please do so.
We've lost Cujo, Domi and now Schwab, leaving Barrasso and Belfour (great attitude, solid Canadian Hockey player, but I'm still recovering from Beaupre and Palmateer....)
I just don't know what to think, I mean, I was looking forward to Detriot in the finals, but with the team in the current state of disarray such as it is, I'm already worrying about the EXHIBITION GAMES, fer cryin out loud. ANYONE?!?
YAY HOCKEY!!!!

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 01:16 PM
We lost Domi ? Where did he go ? I know we lost Cujo to Detroit, but what else is happening ?

mabudonicus
07-10-2002, 03:00 PM
Ahhhh, you ain't heard?? Okay, if this is inappropriate, take it out,
but for Leafs news, try penaltybox.com , the best Leaf fansite on the net IMO.
Domi, I can't even remember where he went, calgary I think was going to take him, but I didn't care to find out the whole story. Schwab is a Flyer, now, I think.... I don't know what to think.
Might as well trade tucker, sundin and roberts and move the whole team to the farm system. I think Ballard has possessed the management. Toronto's NOT HAPPY. St.Catharines neither.
I gotta go look at my Wendel Clark cup. He'll tell me what to do.

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Dam Leafs, I never heard about Domi, thanks alot mabudon. I'll go check it out right now.

Thankx again.

billfremore
07-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Currently Domi is being courted by, Chicago, Nashville and Boston
Schwab was signed by the Devils.

Speaking as an occasional Senators fan:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

mabudonicus
07-11-2002, 08:23 AM
Yeah, it must feel good to be a sens fan right now. Didya hear about the poll conducted there? The Stanley Cup was 2ND choice for the coming season, beating the Blue and White actually took precedence!! I guess we gave you more grief than ya let on:)...
The schedules came out today, we face the sens in the 2nd ex. game (I think). Should be alright. Detroit is scaring me right now- I mean, wings now has a double meaning- it's the name of the team, and now it's also the amount of space their current incarnation will take up in the Hall of Fame in a few years.......
The only things that would give me hope for the boys(Leafs, if you don't know:)) now is the return of Wendel, maybe even the Greatest One (Ahhhhh, Gretzky in Blue and White... sorry), or, as a long shot, if they could get maybe Stone Cold Steve Austin and Mike tyson and just go all-out goon squad. THAT's how I feel about the Leafs right now. And I've got 10 t-shirts, a Leafs Stanley cup, Leafs Zamboni, Leafs 1935 "heritage" jersey/sweater
Leafs actoin figs (CUSTOM gijoe Domi, pics with STANSE coming in a week or so) Leafs games on video and AUDIO tape (Joe Bowen is the MAN,eh?!?)....
I guess I'm saying I'm Leafs CRAZY, and enjoyed their season immensely, (I hate how non fans come up and say "oh, you must be pretty disappointed" when they lose in the 4th round or something... ESPECIALLY when they're Habs fans!!) I can't believe that the off-season is the part of the season I can't bear to watch.
Oh, yeah, Fremore....we're coming for you, not sure what we're comin with, but you should sweat a bit anyways:)!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! HOCKEY!!!(we yell Hockey when they score, it's funny, we think goals should be called "hockey"s in Canada, sort of our own Glowing Puck:).......)

billfremore
07-11-2002, 10:19 AM
I actually used to like the Leafs, but in recent years they have turned into a team I really don't like.

If they lose it's the ref's fault, the other team got away with more, that goal should have not counted, they ran our goalie, blah, blah, blah.

According to them, the Leafs don't lose games, they get screwed out of them.

Any wonder Cujo left?

Okay, I'm done venting now. :D

mabudonicus
07-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Yeah, that's true. The Leafs NEVER lose games:)!! Glad SOMEONE agrees:)! Honestly, though, there have been contentious calls in the past. The no-call in the(4th game?) of the NY series was ridiculous (net off the post?). They do lose games, and most of the time it's square, in my mind. It's the armchair fans that cry all the time- my usual recourse is that, while they lost, they won a moral victory by having more "character". Works for me.
Oh and a correction- Schwab is now a Devil, not a flyer. Stinks either way, though.

billfremore
07-11-2002, 04:38 PM
It's truly amazing how arrogant Leaf fans have become in the last few years.

Considering they really don't have anything to be arrogant about.
The only thing they've managed to do successfully is beat the Sens in the playoffs. :D