PDA

View Full Version : How dark do you think it will be.

scruffziller
06-25-2002, 06:57 PM
I wonder if GL will go as far to show his perfect little JarJar getting sliced, diced, and roasted or even just enslaved and him being beaten with a wip. Something to think about, the imagery.:rolleyes:

Laserbrain
06-25-2002, 08:14 PM
I wish....

I can see Anakin doing that to Watto though, and he has a good reason. I imagine the darkness to speak of will be along the lines of "I can't believe he did that" or something.

One thing's for sure though, GL's not gonna make the kids cry...

scruffziller
06-25-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Laserbrain
I wish....

I can see Anakin doing that to Watto though, and he has a good reason. I imagine the darkness to speak of will be along the lines of "I can't believe he did that" or something.

One thing's for sure though, GL's not gonna make the kids cry... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :D :evil: :evil:

Vortex
06-25-2002, 11:38 PM
Well I'm thinking that Anakin has to hit rock bottom, he started his slid by having an attitude with Yoda, Obi-wan and started his slide faster when he did the raiders in and gave into his emotions from that point out.

I think when GL mentions "dark" he's talking about internal struggle, going rogue, seeing the pure evil come out. I don't think he's talking about seeing mass slaughter, blood and guts, and I think he's turning the story line into a typical greek tragidy where there's no happy ending and the "hero" suffers greatly and "Dies" in the end.

DeadEye
06-26-2002, 09:15 AM
actually GL doesn't care if kids cry. He said people won't respond well to how dark ep3 is.

Obi-Don
06-26-2002, 09:21 AM
I think it will be dark to those who love SW. When we see the fall of the Jedi and all the people we as fans love.

Vortex
06-26-2002, 09:30 AM
Hollywood has proven time and time again that audiences don't respond well to unhappy endings. The hero dies, doesn't get the girl, gets screwed some how.

But no matter what GL idea of dark is, he's right people won't take it well since there's no way to make Ep III have a happy ending.

Jedi Clint
06-26-2002, 05:27 PM
There could be one or two little bright spots at the end ;)

Vortex
06-26-2002, 05:38 PM
2 little flashes of bright spots...how can I forget the brother and sister who forge into the OT... but obi wan has to go into seclusion, and yoda goes to hide out, but the kids have to be split up yet too, the jedi need to be killed or scattered, the temple destroyed, friendships cast aside, and watch a hero transform into the definition of evil. I'm starting to think it will be a depressing, sad, movie. Death, destruction, war, hatred, anger, rage...

Wow, GL has a lot of ground to cover in the last one.

jonboy
06-26-2002, 06:58 PM
It will be darker than dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillyJAck
06-27-2002, 06:12 AM
It better be sooo dark that it makes ESB look like an episode of Care Bears

williams will have to put one hell of a score togather also..cause that was a big part of esb if you ask me. These last two didn't cut it at all as far as what he can really do. Can't go wrong if he throws the imperial march in there alot. I could listen to that over and over again. I love it. I want Lucas to make kids cry and some people to be ****ed about the bad ending...DARK DARK i tell you!!!!

billy

ChemOx
06-29-2002, 01:20 AM
well, there is no way GL is going to push the "visible blood barrier" kind of dark......I just think it means that instead of the warm fuzzy feelings that we usually get at the end of a star wars movie......triumph over evil etc......it's just going to end bad....as we Star Wars fans all know........really looking forward to it!!

morecow299
07-06-2002, 11:29 AM
it definatly will be dark
the ending wont have the classic good always wins over evil fell and i hope small children cry when waching it
that is what GL should strive for
how many kids can he make cry in the theater

scruffziller
07-06-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by ChemOx
well, there is no way GL is going to push the "visible blood barrier" kind of dark......I just think it means that instead of the warm fuzzy feelings that we usually get at the end of a star wars movie......triumph over evil etc......it's just going to end bad....as we Star Wars fans all know........really looking forward to it!!
Seeing the Wampa munching on a bloodied Taun Taun did that count??

jet chan
07-08-2002, 01:48 PM
its not a question of how dark is going to be but how lucus will tie the third movie to the fourth that will be an interesting thing to see(on the dark note if the fourth movies name wasn't a new hope i might think that it was to be very dark, the name a new hope implies that there was hope to beging with and that now there is more reason to hope):crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

evenflow
07-09-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
There could be one or two little bright spots at the end ;)

Awwww. How sweet. I think that it has to be really dark. It is the central issue of the entire Star Wars universe. It is the climactic fall from grace that we have all been waiting for.

Jedi Clint
07-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by evenflow

Awwww. How sweet.

Is that sarcasm? I was referring to the introduction of the infant(s) Skywalker......their only hope.

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Maybe what Jedi Clint is trying to say is that the movie is nonstop brutality and carnage and betrayal, and the one bright point is the birth of the twins at the end.

Jedi Clint
07-09-2002, 07:26 PM
At least you understand me DeadEye ;)

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Yes...my power is steadily rising!!! :D:D:D

Er, um, I mean, yeah, I'm usually right and so are the mods. :p

MFH
07-10-2002, 11:45 PM
I want it to be very dark. But it won't be, regardless of what GL says. I bet it won't even be as dark as ESB...

jet chan
07-11-2002, 01:21 AM
what i think is is that it will start out bright sunshiny then bam something of a doner will occur and last a chunk of the movie then bam something good will happen to make us all leave the theater happy and cheering for more,either that or i'm completely wrong heck gl ain't paying me to right the script if he was then i'd have a general idea of whats going to happen but for all intesive purposes thats my guess.:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Nebulaz
07-11-2002, 02:03 AM
I wanna know how he's gonna get by the blood barrier when all those jedi die.

Jedi Clint
07-11-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Nebulaz
I wanna know how he's gonna get by the blood barrier when all those jedi die.

By not showing them all die.

jet chan
07-11-2002, 02:28 PM
it also can't get too bloody just by the fact that lasers and light sabers cauterize:rolleyes: :eek: aslo lets not remind me of what happened in the cantina in star wars; heck it wasnt even ponda boba's correct arm:crazed: i also agree that alot of the jedi will be killed off screen(heck if gl showed them all getting killed the movie be like 8 to 10 hours:eek: um maybe not a bad thing):D

DeadEye
07-11-2002, 02:30 PM
It would be like a ten-hour movie if they showed ten thousand Jedi dying horrible deaths! :D

jet chan
07-11-2002, 02:35 PM
hum i like were this is going:D :D :D

billfremore
07-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
Hollywood has proven time and time again that audiences don't respond well to unhappy endings.

I beg to differ.
Some of the best endings are not prototypical "happy" ones.

For example:

Seven
Alien
Blade Runner
Thelma and Louise

Some people try a little too hard to have a happy ending for a movie and it just winds up coming off as super cheesy.

Spielberg is the worst culprit for this.
Anyone who's seen A.I. will agree with me.

DeadEye
07-12-2002, 09:22 AM
Arlington Road had one of the unhappiest endings ever!

Most war movies (or good war movies) like Saving Pvt. Ryan, Black Hawk Down, etc. tend to have unhappy endings...and those movies kick ***!

jet chan
07-12-2002, 12:22 PM
it be interesting if in the next movie gl went totally bleak and dark leaving us with no hope, but that would not be possible only do to the fact we know whats going to happen in the next three movies but if he does it bleak (please,please,please)all we've to do is wait for our grandkids to be old enough and show the series in proper order to them, then the true impact of the films will occur.

MFH
07-13-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by billfremore

Some of the best endings are not prototypical "happy" ones.

Some people try a little too hard to have a happy ending for a movie and it just winds up coming off as super cheesy.

I completely agree with you, billfremore. But the mainstream public does not. And, unfortunately, that influences the way a lot of movies turn out. Sad/bad endings are realistic. But, for some reason, people don't want reality.

scruffziller
07-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
Hollywood has proven time and time again that audiences don't respond well to unhappy endings. The hero dies, doesn't get the girl, gets screwed some how.
But GL knows he has to make this movie the way the fans want i. He doesn't have to, and would be more disasterous if he tried to win over a new fan base by making not "as dark". We as the established fans (the ones that have signed his paycheck for the last 25 years) know what his movie is suppose to be about and we want to see that vision fulfilled on the silver screen!!

Jedi Clint
07-13-2002, 03:47 PM
I think it's kinda funny to see people wishing for anything more than a PG movie. :evil:

morecow299
07-14-2002, 01:00 AM
yeah because it will never ever happen

DeadEye
07-14-2002, 08:49 AM
It would be so funny! Imagine, if you will:

The theater darkens. The audience, full of mothers and their impatient young children, is in awe. The curtains move aside, effectively allowing the aging projector's dim bulb to transpose the images onto the large screen before the audience. The digital speakers rumble and roar as they tickle the audience's ears with the sounds of battle. They are shown thousands of Jedi and clonetroopers doing battle with millions of droids; epic, large-scale dogfights; and lightsaber duel after lightsaber duel. Then the images come to a halt and the screen reads: "Coming May 2005: Star Wars Episode III." The audience cheers, and then the message concludes: "Rated R." All the children whine as their parents say, "You can't see it!"
:p

jet chan
07-14-2002, 01:24 PM
i know it maybe hard to swollow but i think gl will make the 3rd episode one of the best of all the movies and still have it so all can see it. why i say this is is that even though some of the movies in the series are not up to the standards of the others, even the ones that are condsidered bad are still 100% better than anything else made and to think that gl won't find a way to make the majority of us happy with this one is in my opinion impossible but thats my 2 cents on the matter:eek: :happy: :crazed: (although an r rating would show things the way i'd like to see them lets not forget gls target audience is children)

DeadEye
07-14-2002, 01:39 PM
His target audience is actually everyone, but he just wants children to be able to enjoy it along with adults.

Lucas has said that it will be a very dark and unpleasant film, so much that people won't want to see it a second time. He said he doesn't care if it doesn't make much money--he just wants to get the damn movie made! :D

jet chan
07-15-2002, 03:09 AM
the reason i said that gls target audience was kids is that i read that one of the driving forces behind him wanting to make star wars was that kids didn't have to many different things in the seventies to chose from and he wanted to bring space adventers or stuff of that ilk back. but don't base this on fact because i don't remeber were i saw it. :o :confused: :stupid:

DeadEye
07-15-2002, 09:54 AM
Yeah, because fairy tales were basically dead and most westerns were over by the mid-seventies, so Lucas wanted something new for kids to enjoy. But try not to think of SW as just "a little kids' show." :D

billfremore
07-15-2002, 10:42 AM
I like to think that Star Wars allows all of us to be 'kids' again...

By the way Deadeye, I would like to hear your advice on getting girls.
I would like to see what you approach is and howe it differs from mine.

jet chan
07-15-2002, 12:22 PM
i'll try not to see it just for kids; the only reason i suppose i see it that way is that all the movies in the series make me feel that way.:D

DeadEye
07-15-2002, 02:38 PM
billfremore, PM me and we'd have a nice discussion on girls! :D

Of course, I imagine you're older than me, so different tactics may be necessary! :p

Jacen Solo
07-19-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by BillyJAck
It better be sooo dark that it makes ESB look like an episode of Care Bears
billy

Yes, rabid care bears, that invade the Jedit Temple and eat all the Jedi. Thus, they bevome what we refer to as Ewoks.

Jacen Solo
07-19-2002, 11:53 AM
On a serious note, what if the Jedi are destroyed form with, like a group of padawans go over to the dark side and kill all the Jedi within the Temple

chewie
07-26-2002, 07:32 PM
There will be a few more bright points in the movie, but each one, in the end, favors Palpatine more than any good guy (except for bright spot #4)

1. The end of the Trade Federation's threat to the Republic
2. The death of Dooku
3. The death or demise of Nute Gunray
4. And of course, the twins

I think the movie will basically have almost two endings. One happy in he beginning with the end of all of the first three of the things I list. And then of course, the ugly real end with only one small bright spot.

IMO, The end of the Jedi Council and temple will be a bloodless abandonment by the Jedi after being considered the cause of the civil war. There may be very little actual Jedi dying onscreen as they may already be a disbanded group of warriors by the time the Jedi genocide comes.

steve3p0
07-27-2002, 10:36 PM
i think it will be "dark" simply because the movie will end without a happy resolution (as episodes 2 and 5 did ).

JonoFett
08-09-2002, 04:10 PM
I would like to see this film rival the ominous darkness of LOTR: FOTR.

Maybe we'll see the lightsaber duel between Anakin and his master take place on the crack of Mount Doom in Mordor. :D

Lt Kettch
08-11-2002, 10:39 AM
maybe not mount doom, but a volcano somewhere, sometimes.......someHOW.
peace

Darth Marra 54
08-15-2002, 05:40 PM
YES DARK BECAUSE EVERYONE DIES AND THERE IS A SAD ENDING
You tell me!

bigbarada
08-15-2002, 10:38 PM
Keeping in mind that 1. this will be a PG rated movie and 2. this is George Lucas we are talking about here, who didn't recognize the overall "kiddiness" of TPM until it was too late.

I expect when GL refers to "dark" he simply means that the ending will not be the triumphant happy ending we saw in TPM, ANH or ROTJ. Nor will it be the uncertain "to be continued" ending like ESB or AOTC. For all intents and purposes the movie will end with all hope being lost and the forces of evil truimphant over good. Anything darker than that is just a pipe-dream.

No mass-slaughter
No blood and gore (why start now?)
No sex or infidelity (if you don't know what infidelity means, then you are probably too young too :p )
No main-characters getting butchered before our eyes

JonoFett, if you thought FOTR ended on a dark note, wait until the ending of T2T!:eek: (of course, all depending on how Peter Jackson decides to handle it, but in the book it is pretty bad)

DeadEye
08-15-2002, 11:05 PM
BigB,

All of the Star Wars movies have mass slaughters! :D And I wouldn't call AOTC's ending a happy one, either.

bigbarada
08-16-2002, 01:31 AM
If you would read my post, you would see that I didn't call AOTC's ending a happy one. I said it was an uncertain ending, neither bad nor good, sort of a "tune in next week" sort of thing.

I was also referring to having a large number of people dying a horrible death all in full-blown, gory detail right on screen. Alderaan being destroyed was a mass killing, not a slaughter.

DeadEye
08-16-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
If you would read my post, you would see that I didn't call AOTC's ending a happy one. I said it was an uncertain ending, neither bad nor good, sort of a "tune in next week" sort of thing.

I was also referring to having a large number of people dying a horrible death all in full-blown, gory detail right on screen. Alderaan being destroyed was a mass killing, not a slaughter.

Oh, you're right about the AOTC bit! Sorry...I thought you had it listed as a happy ending alongside ANH, TPM, and ROTJ! :D
And you're right...and AFAIK there aren't any movies that have mass slaughter on the manner you described. Plenty of war movies have mass killing and a few gory deaths, but that's about it.

bigbarada
08-23-2002, 03:23 PM
Yes, no Saving Private Ryan type battle scenes or extremely violent or gory deaths. Anakin's slaughter of the Tusken Raiders and the Destruction of Alderaan in ANH are the yardsticks to measure how the Jedi Purge and any other atrocities commited by Vader will be handled onscreen for Ep3.

I think when George meant dark, he was just referring to the ending. It will still have the same "keep them rolling in the aisles" humor that we saw in Ep1 and Ep2. :rolleyes: And it will still have the comic relief characters, most likely Artoo and Threepio again (Jar Jar's future might take a more tragic turn in Ep3).

So those of you expecting to walk out of Ep3 with the sudden desire to commit suicide will be gravely disappointed. Also those of you expecting to see a touching, emotionally charged film will also be disappointed. Ep3 will have it's moments, but look at how the "big events" were handled in the previous films. Why does everyone seem to think that Ep3 will be any different?

Edit: One more thing, Fellowship of the Ring's battle sequences earned it a PG-13 rating. Ep3 will still hold the PG rating of the other five films, so expect the battles and lightsaber duels to be less intense than LOTR's swordfights and battles.