PDA

View Full Version : Back To The Future Trilogy DVD News & Specs!!!

Beast
06-26-2002, 04:55 AM
These have been announced and delayed for almost 5 years, ever since DVD's first hit. It was originally going to be one of the first titles released, but due to a deal involving overseas sales, they were held off until now. Here is the confirmed specs info, and a picture of the packaging. The 3 DVD set streets December 17th, 2002. Here is the current info about the set, and there is more being announced everyday. Oh, and the best news, Minimum Advertised Price on the set, $39.99. Amazon.com currently has it up for pre-order for about $45.00. The following info, is from BTTF.com. :)

Region 1 DVD Promotion & Marketing campaign revealed

Over 10 Hours of Never-Before-Seen DVD Bonus Features from All 3 Movies

Over this past weekend, full specifications regarding the highly sought-after Back to the Future Trilogy DVD set for the U.S. was released to video retailers, including many of the planned features and promotions.

The following text is directly from the 8-page color brochure being issued to video distributors & retailers:

Features to Please Even the Most Demanding Fans!

All-New Audio Commentary with actor Michael J. Fox, director Robert Zemeckis and producer & screenwriter Bob Gale

Hilarious Outtakes - flubs, bloopers and antics from all 3 films

Deleted Scenes - exclusive never-before-seen footage

The Hover Board Test - the original "flying skateboard" on-location road tests

The Making of Back to the Future Featurette - a rare behind-the-scenes look at the making of the original film

“Animated Anecdotes” - see over 150 fun facts and interesting trivia while you view the films

Production Archive - interactive environment to view production photographs, original storyboards and concept art, and props used in the films

Newly Remastered 5.1 Digital Soundtracks - all 3 films presented in Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio
...and much more!

VHS Collector's Set Also Available

Each Video Contains different never-before-sceen bonus features including outtakes, deleted scenes and much more

Digitally Remastered

Complete Trilogy on VHS now available for the first time in 8 years

National Consumer Promotions

"Your Ticket To Adventure" Sweepstakes - Grand Prize is an all expenses paid family vacation to the Universal Theme Park of the winner's choice: Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando
Mail-In Offer for a die-cast DeLorean Car!

$5 Multiple Purchase Rebate when you buy the Back to the Future Trilogy DVD and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial on DVD

National Culligan Promotion

$4 Coupon good toward the purchase of the Back to the Future Trilogy DVD - delivered to over 1 million Culligan customers nationally!

Dedicated Back to the Future Web Site

bttfmovie.com
AOL Keyword: Back to the Future
Comprehensive information and breaking news about the DVD release
Online sweepstakes
Promotions and activities
National Spot Radio Media and Promotions
Drive-time on-air giveaways
Trivia contests

Other themed promotions

The Back to the Future Trilogy will be trailered in theaters on the highly-anticipated The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers [in theaters December 18], and on video releases of How High, A Beautiful Mind [June 25], Big Fat Liar, The Scorpion King [October 1], The Bourne Identity, Spirit, Minority Report and The Tuxedo.

Television commercials will air on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, Comedy Central, TNT, MTV, E!, Nick at Nite, The WB, Sci-Fi Channel, TBS, USA Network, UPN, VH1, and TV Land, to air during shows including Alias, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Ed, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Simpsons, That 70's Show, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Angel, Will & Grace, 7th Heaven, and The Bernie Mac Show.

On-line internet promotions will take place on Yahoo!, MSN, ESPN.com, IGN, UGO, MTV.com, among others.

To answer just a few of the questions raised by this new information:

No, the films will not be released individually at this time as originally believed. They will only be available as a complete set at this time.

Yes, according to information we've been given, Drew Struzan was brought on to make a modification to his original artwork by adding Doc Brown into the scene with Marty for the outside cover of the boxed set.

It's unclear if the offer for a DeLorean die-cast car is through Sunstar. I contacted our sales rep at the company yesterday, and while the company is doing a separate promotion of the car directly to video retailers & distributors, they were unaware of any offer included with the DVD set for individual sales of the car.
More details to come as soon as we know them...

LTBasker
06-26-2002, 05:17 AM
"YIPEE!!!"

It's about time!!! I can't wait to get this set - and I think I'll have to send off for that die-cast DeLorean. :D

Packaging could use a little work, but considering it's just the outer-box, it's understandable. :cool:

Thanks, JJB!

:happy: :happy:

Beast
06-26-2002, 05:25 AM
Actually, the bad news is that is the actual case. It's one big blue plastic case, with the artwork on it. It's really rather hidious and the R4 version looks so much better. But the R1 version will be the only one to likely carry the Audio Commentary. Here is a more detailed, but possibly slightly off list of specs, from Brazil. They appeared a while back. Of course the R1 version could be vastly different, but it will likely be close. Oh, and I tossed in a picture of the case open. :)

You may remember that a few months ago, we received a list of rumored Back to the Future DVD specs from a source in Brazil. Well, we've now received word of the officially announced specs for Universal's international release of the Back to the Future Trilogy (set for September elsewhere around the world). Keep in mind that the U.S. release is expected in December. But since the specs you see below are official, they're likely the same as the ones you'll see on the U.S. discs (or very close to identical). Here's the rundown:

Back to the Future - the original "making of" featurette, a retrospective look at the film featuring cast and crew, all new audio commentary with Michael J. Fox, director/Writer Robert Zemeckis & producer/writer Bob Gale, outtakes and deleted scenes, original make-up tests, hover board test footage, trivia subtitle track option, production gallery with photographs, original storyboards and props, Huey Lewis & The News Power of Love music video.

Back to the Future II - the original "making of" featurette, a retrospective look at the film featuring cast and crew, outtakes and deleted scenes, production gallery with photographs, original storyboards and props.

Back to the Future III - a retrospective look at the film featuring cast and crew, outtakes and deleted scenes, production gallery with photographs, original storyboards and props, ZZ Top Doubleback music video.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-26-2002, 05:31 AM
Should've had the front of the DeLorean going into time travel and a back view on the back of it along with scenes from each movie surounding the DVD. Should be a darker blue also.

Maybe it's just a "beta" version?...

Beast
06-26-2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Should've had the front of the DeLorean going into time travel and a back view on the back of it along with scenes from each movie surounding the DVD. Should be a darker blue also.
Maybe it's just a "beta" version?...
That's sort of what the R4 version looks like. I will post up a picture of it here. As for it being a beta version of the case, sadly not. I have seen images of the displays for the DVD, and they all show the same fugly cases.

As for deleted scenes, sounds like it's gonna be loaded with them. Here is a report of someone talking with Bob Gale about all the deleted scenes, and what we can expect to see on the DVD release. So sit back, cause this is heavy. :)

Deleted scenes revealed for upcoming DVD release

Bob Gale discusses excised scenes located for DVD inclusion

In our continued coverage of recent discussions with famed Writer/Producer Bob Gale, BTTF.com has received a near complete list of deleted scenes planned for inclusion in the upcoming DVD release.

Earlier this month, I caught up with Bob to inquire about some of the specific bonus features that would be included in the highly anticipated DVD release in the very near future. Ever since we broke the news regarding the international releases' bonus features earlier this month, we've been overwhelmed with emails & calls from fans all over the globe wanting to know further details. Here's what we've learned regarding specific deleted scenes that will be included among the 10+ hours of bonus features:

"Yes, we've found almost all of the deleted scenes for all the movies. There are still some things from Part 1 that haven't been found, but so far, we've got Lorraine cheating [on a test when Marty & Doc visit the 1955 high school], the long version of the "Darth Vader" scene, George gets locked in the phone booth [at the dance before he saves Lorraine from Biff], and the tail end of the scene on the town square when Doc talks to the cop. And "Doc's belongings" which was in the "Secrets" tape."

"Part 2 has an added bit in the future McFly townhouse, and Marty meets Dave in 1985-A, plus the stuff that was in the "Secrets" tape [Biff erasing from existence in 2015, and Marty seeing the burned remains of the high school in 1985-A]."

"Part 3 had only one deleted scene, which was Buford killing Marshal Strickland, and that we've found as well."

Gale went on to state that the domestic version of the trilogy to be released by the end of the year will likely contain additional features than what the international version will include late this summer.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-26-2002, 05:50 AM
They went with a blue generic box....OVER THAT?!

They must have their brains all focused on the project - someone get them to take 5 and look over the DVD packaging!

Do you know if they will integrate the deleted scenes into the movie or if they'll just be bonus features?

Beast
06-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
They went with a blue generic box....OVER THAT?!

They must have their brains all focused on the project - someone get them to take 5 and look over the DVD packaging!

Do you know if they will integrate the deleted scenes into the movie or if they'll just be bonus features?
I dunno LTBasker. This stuff seems to happen alot, especially with DVD's. I have seen alot of DVD's from other regions with better covers then we get. I hate especially, when instead of using the original movie poster art, they do some hidious photoshop cover job. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
06-26-2002, 06:13 PM
The R4 box is WAY better than the R1 box. That blue is hideous. Way to go there Universal.

wedgeA
06-26-2002, 07:02 PM
GREAT SCOTT...

But seriously folks, while the packaging does reek, I'm glad that this is just one more must have that's finally out. The 4Q is looking huge, with SW:EPII, Spiderman, ET, BTTF and who knows what else hitting.

Anyone know what's up with the Eric Stolz footage, I was hoping it would be included. C'mon, who cares if it embarasses him?:) He'll always have Mask.

Also, I thought in BTTF III Marshall Strickland was at the end during the arrest? I haven't seen the film in awhile so my memory is fuzzy.

scruffziller
06-26-2002, 11:42 PM
Well I've been waiting forever!! That was my most favorite series back after SW. Now I wonder what will become of BTTF4?

derek
06-27-2002, 02:54 AM
wedge A,

i too was wondering about eric stoltz stuff as deleted scenes.
i heard they filmed over half the movie when speilburg gave him the boot.:confused:

Beast
06-27-2002, 03:07 AM
Eric Stolz was hired to play Marty, and yes they had filmed quite alot of the movie by the time he was fired. The reason behind his firing, was because he was trying to play the charecter, totally serious. Somthing that wouldn't work for the type of movie that it was. They faught with him quite alot, to put some energy and life into his performance, but it wasn't working. He was fired, and Michael J. Fox was brought in to replace him. And now you know, the rest of the story. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-27-2002, 03:16 AM
What's the deal with Stoltz? Who was he supposed to play?
I'm curious . . .

I am TOTALLY in favor of that goofy blue case. At least it's Amaray-ish . . . I hate those goofy cardboard-with-plastic-trays-glued-on-top-foldout jobs. I curse WB/HBO for issuing The Sopranos like that. :mad:

Beast
06-27-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
What's the deal with Stoltz? Who was he supposed to play?
I'm curious . . .

I am TOTALLY in favor of that goofy blue case. At least it's Amaray-ish . . . I hate those goofy cardboard with platic trays glued on top foldout jobs. I curse WB/HBO for issuing The Sopranos like that. :mad:
Hey Caesar, as I said before he was supposed to play the Marty McFly charecter, and was later replaced with Michael J. Fox. Here is a link to still pictures that were taken of him in the roll. :)

http://www.bttf.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Eric_Stoltz_as_Marty_McFly

And I would prefer the cardboard slipcase with plastic trays, to get decent cover art. Oh well, I will work on converting the R4 cover to a slipcover and switching it with the hidious R1 cover.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-27-2002, 03:28 AM
Ooops, you posted that while I was reading another thread . . . this one didn't update when I came back to it. :)

Well, thank goodness Stoltz got fired, I wouldn't have anyone other than MJ Fox. :happy:

Will Jennifer still be seen as Elisabeth Shue and that other girl whose name I can't recall?

Without question, that cardboard box is superior aestetically, but for me it's an issue of durability. I hate getting those fragile boxes, it just forces me to switch the discs into jewel cases. :D

OneArmedJango
06-27-2002, 06:53 AM
OMG!!! BTTF II is one of my favorite movies of all time!!! Thanks for the new Jar Jar, I can't waite to get it!!!!!

JediTricks
06-27-2002, 10:34 PM
Yay! If I don't get an advance copy (which I'm hoping I do since a long-time family friend co-starred in 2 and 3), I'll be there with cash-in-hand to get this set. It sounds like a real winner. I only hope we don't get some sort of lame "special edition"ing like the recent network airings where certain elements were blocked out so as not to offend modern PC ideals and terrorism furor.

I can't believe how much footage of Stolz there was filmed - so many different sequences had him in there originally!

Beast
06-27-2002, 10:55 PM
A little bit of bad news on the set, that I have to pass on, is what was posted earlier today at DVDReview.com. Universal with the E.T. release decided to make the deleted scenes and trailers, avaliable only on-line with a DVD-rom drive. They are planning to do somthing similar with BTTF. Though from what I understand so far, it won't be the deleted scenes.

Universal has also decided again to make several interviews, clips and other materials to be available exclusively through the Total Axess web site and not on the DVD itself.

They should just include a code printed on a card in the DVD case, if they really wanna do web only content. Then atleast the people that don't have DVD-Rom's could view the stuff. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-28-2002, 12:08 AM
Well that's a slap in the face for the regular DVD viewer. Not everybody can afford a computer with a DVD-rom and I'll be damned if I end up paying for a DVD-Rom just to view extras on a movie.

SithDroid
06-28-2002, 12:59 AM
Why is Universal doing something so STUPID! I would really like to be in the meetings where they come up with these ideas. I swear that most of the people in the higher positions of power at movie studios don't know anything. The E.T. edition makes me mad, but if they do it to BTTF then I will be REALLY upset.

2-1B
06-28-2002, 01:29 AM
Preach on SithDroid! :) Like I said in E.T.'s thread, if you pay for a DVD you should get everything included - not just access to it somewhere other than in your DVD player. :rolleyes:

Beast
06-28-2002, 06:42 PM
This was posted today over at BTTF.com, so I figured I may as well update you guys with the info. Since alot of people seem to be intrested in the set. :)

"Over 10 Hours of Never-Before-Seen Footage" explained:

One day after Universal Studios Home Video issues a formal press release regarding the highly anticipated Back to the Future Trilogy DVD release, Writer/Producer Bob Gale clarifies some of the wording in the press release to avoid consumer confusion & disappointment.

"The claim that there is 'over 10 hours of never before seen bonus materials' is a bit of an exaggeration: they're including the commentaries (there are two for each film — a general commentary from a Q&A session Bob and I did at USC, and a more scene specific commentary I recorded with Neil Canton), " informs Gale. "Yes, there are over 10 hours of bonus materials, but as should be obvious to anyone, the commentaries are not 'seen'."

Bob wanted to reiterate to fans that the international versions of the boxed-set will not contain all of the bonus materials that the domestic release will have. "We are still finding more material to include in the domestic package, while the international version has already been put to bed," Gale reveals. "Universal is very committed to putting out the best possible collection of supplements for the U.S. release, so the extra few months of waiting time will be worth it."

Anyone who may be planning to hold off purchasing this new set in anticipation of Universal releasing the trilogy set again a year or so down the road as an "Ultimate Edition" with even more features can stop holding their breath now.

"I sincerely doubt there will be an 'ultimate' edition down the line, " exclaims Gale. "We're trying to make this set the 'ultimate edition', and although some of the excluded material would be of interest to true fanatics, I honestly don't feel that it belongs in this collection. For example, I looked at that Leslie Nielsen stuff [the 1989 NBC "Sneak Peek" special for Back to the Future Part II] a couple of months ago, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch it — it's just not that good!"

Bob seems to be taking full advantage of the extra time between the domestic & international releases. He tells me that they're still unearthing materials for the domestic release, having recently found a few radio spots for all three films which will be included as well. He's currently going through about six hours of footage just from Back to the Future Part II, which apparently contains some additional deleted scenes that may also be considered for inclusion.

Christmas 2002 just may go down as one of the best holidays of all time!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-28-2002, 08:15 PM
So what's the story, these discs will not have some of this bonus stuff, instead only DVD-ROM linking to it online?!? If that's the case, Universal can bite me - that's just stupid when you have all the space in the world on extra discs. Why would I want to sit on my computer and download crappy-looking computerized extras when I could just pop them in my DVD and watch them in a higher quality?

Beast
06-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
So what's the story, these discs will not have some of this bonus stuff, instead only DVD-ROM linking to it online?!? If that's the case, Universal can bite me - that's just stupid when you have all the space in the world on extra discs. Why would I want to sit on my computer and download crappy-looking computerized extras when I could just pop them in my DVD and watch them in a higher quality?
Yeah, Universal is trying out this new idea of theirs called Total Access, or somthing stupid like that. So ET looses its deleted scenes and trailers to on-line. And who knows exactly what BTTF will loose yet. They haven't stated everything yet, but I expect to hear soon. Thankfully, so far the deleted scenes are still on the disc. I think I may end up trying to track down the old 4 disc Laserdisc version of E.T. since it will have everything. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
06-28-2002, 11:41 PM
So what happens 10 years from now when we want to view some of these deleted scenes that we paid for? Computer technology as well as the internet will not be what we know today, perhaps to the point where we can't even access them anymore. It would be similar to issuing special images on 3.75" floppy disks back in the 80's. "All computers in the future will be able to play these."

It's nice to see that the studios are finally getting around to releasing some of the big movies to DVD. Now if they could just get around to Indy.

Tycho
10-03-2006, 02:16 AM
Well I just have the Back to the Future VHS tapes and they're in great condition and the surround sound picks up just fine. You can even hear all the flux capacitator in the DeLorean!

I don't really get into behind the scenes stuff or a lot of deleted scenes. Bloopers are sometimes funny.

But for those of you who bought these DVD box sets, you must have had them for a long while now (4 years or so). Were they worth it?

JimJamBonds
10-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I think its something like $22 for the box set now, although these movies are on quite often I'd still like to own these.... or maybe Caesar could just burn them for me. :D

JediTricks
10-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Yes, they were definitely worth it, even waiting on the replacement disc, the movie stands up so much better on DVD widescreen than VHS, you can zoom in on details you never noticed before, hear background noises you couldn't hear on VHS, and the extras are tremendous.

tagmac
10-09-2006, 11:46 PM
You know, I never did get to see those deleted scenes from ET, as the DVD-ROM link never really worked. Did those scenes ever actually exist online?

JediTricks
10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
I dunno, I've never used DVD-ROM features ever.