PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Aaaaaack! It's the Acklay!

JEDIpartner
06-26-2002, 03:55 PM
Let me just say that I think this HAS to be the coolest of the arena battle creatures. I was a little disappointed to discover it has no electonics, but no matter. It still rocks.

It's really quite amazing how large this thing is once you get it out of the box and standing. I've measured it to be about 16" wide and 12" long at its current pose. It takes a little bit of figuring, but eventually you will find a suitable pose so that this beastie is standing.

There is a spring-loaded peg underneath the Acklay's hood. This peg helps keep the mouth closed. It also has one claw that is also spring-loaded. Quite cool.

The underbelly has a hatch that pops off manually... inside are the "guts". It's your standard squishy gel based product. Sadly, it doesn't smell of grape Gummis or anything discernable. ;) Most of the folks here at work were pretty interested in checking this bugger out.

Now that my quest for the arena beasties is complete... I give this gem a solid A+!

DeadEye
06-26-2002, 04:04 PM
Awesome, big brother!!! Thanks for the review!!!

I'll be picking one up myself tomorrow!

Jayspawn
06-26-2002, 11:32 PM
Personally, I'm a little dissapointed in the Acklay. The legs are hard to position and his head is stuck in the 'looking down' position. He sags very easily too.

The guts are cool though.

Jason B
06-26-2002, 11:46 PM
Pics?
wow, i had a momentary lapse of thought there. :rolleyes:
http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=29075

Bent Wookie
07-12-2002, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I agree with Jayspawn. A friend opened his up today and I found the same thing. Head has no pivot joint, so you have to position the legs back as far as they'll go if you want his head to be facing somewhat up. Very hard to position the legs (maybe the paint was stuck but on that middle leg, it didn't have near the mobility of the front and back legs. Legs are a rubber like material and it sags big time too like Jayspawn said. And the thing I don't like the most about him is that Hasbro chose to go for a metallic-y sorty of green on him than the cool dirty green on the box. :( Sometimes simple can be best. It's too bad Hasbro didn't realize that when choosing the paint scheme imo.

I love the creature design and I give it an A+, but this figure has too many faults for me to give it any more than a C grade, or 6 out of 10. To sum up, it's a pretty bad design of a killer beast. I hoped for better. :( Looks like I'll just have to get more Nexu's if I'm going to buy that playset, or buy the Acklay on clearance. I'd pick up one for around $8 or so for display.

Update: Okay, after a while, we were able to get the thing to stand alright. Time will tell if it stays that way. I have to add to my review by stating that this is a fun TOY for the kids, and a decent display piece, but it's not something you're going to be able to mess around with much and expect to be able to sit him right back down and he'll stand. Kids probably won't mind as much since they'll be handling it, but for collectors this could be annoying. From the other side of the room, it looks great on display (being about the width of the tie bomber!), but it's pretty much a "don't touch" toy once you've got just the right pose. And that could be difficult considering he doesn't have any pivot joints in his legs other than the ball joints attached to the body. If the Acklay had those same ball joints throughout the legs, it would probably be much easier to stand, and a much cooler toy overall. As it is, the Acklay is a victim of poor design. Still 6 out of 10.

*End update

DeadEye
07-12-2002, 09:18 AM
I still can't even find the damn thing. Just reeks. :(

Jonna
07-12-2002, 10:21 AM
It is really cool, but I have to agree with Jayspawn in that the legs are difficult to position.

Jason B
07-12-2002, 06:14 PM
They sure are.
Deadeye, I found mine by BS luck. Only one sitting on the shelf. :-/

JEDIpartner
07-22-2002, 11:21 PM
Wow... I can't believe everyone is having so many problems with their's. I have been able to position mine with front claw raised and all sorts of different poses. Oh, well. Maybe mine was special! :rolleyes:

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 12:19 AM
For me, a special acklay would be one that exists... ;):D

My neighbor said he got one, but it was a reek in an acklay box...:rolleyes:

PloKoon2385
08-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Where have you found these? I have been to 3 states and stopped at several Wal Marts. There are no Acklays on the west coast!!! ARG!

JEDIpartner
08-14-2002, 07:46 PM
There are no Acklays at retail because the retailers flocked up and reordered on the Reeks after they sold them (3 months later). I ordered mine on-line and got it for a very fair price. It was only $14.99. I suggest that you do the same if you would like to get one of these.

PloKoon2385
08-15-2002, 02:03 AM
Where did you get it online? Thanks alot for the advice!

JEDIpartner
08-15-2002, 12:47 PM
I got it from Yestertoys... it seems they have taken advantage of the lack of retail stocking and upped the price (maybe it WAS always $16.00 for non-mint box). They got it to me quite quickly!

DeadEye
08-15-2002, 09:08 PM
JP I believe what you say about them not being in retail...I still can't find any!

hango fett
08-15-2002, 09:38 PM
me neither! this sucks! arrgh!
:cry: :mad: :frus:
h

DeadEye
08-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Watch out Hango...that was post-padding. You don't want a mod to come out with a sledgehammer and aim it at your genitals--! :D
*Admits that this was post-padding too*
Anyway,...the reek/acklay ratio is about 1,000,000,000 to 0. :p

dr_evazan22
08-15-2002, 10:02 PM
I got my Acklay from W-M over a month ago. It was on it's way to the shelf. I hadn't seen one since, until last Sun at Target in North Wilmington, they had 2.

As for my review, I pretty much agree w/ everything that Bent Wookie had to say. The legs on its left side were easy to position, but the right side were/are terrible! It's tough to get the ball socket turned the right way to get it to stand up.

Overall though, I think it looks pretty good, and I like the paint app.

DeadEye
08-15-2002, 10:55 PM
Hey now...if anyone doesn't want their acklay, I'll gladly take it! :D

Patient Zero
08-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Watch out Hango...that was post-padding. You don't want a mod to come out with a sledgehammer and aim it at your genitals--! :D
*Admits that this was post-padding too*

Just restating the obvious. This might be considered post padding, but I think that I just proved that I don't care about status.

The dead are back in action!:dead: :crazed: :dead: :crazed: :dead: :crazed:

Water must be allowed to find its own level.

DeadEye
08-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Say...why hasn't Jonna been posting lately? Did he die? Why are you his ghost? :p

TylerD
08-16-2002, 03:03 AM
I got mine two weeks ago at Wal-Mart. There were only two on the sheleves. (No I didn't take both) How many to a case anyway? I think it is awesome, simply because of the design. The paint job is different because Hasbro said it was a "money-saving" thing. (Said at SD Comic Con) On Monday, I went to my local Navy Exchange Store (NEX) and saw three Acklays there. I was surprised, but wasn't surprised, as this store usually gets rare things. (It is where I found my Jawa w/ Two Headed Announcer Beast Pack). I give the Acklay a B+!

plasticfetish
08-17-2002, 02:00 AM
One of the Targets in my neighborhood just put out another case of Acklays ... I think they have about 7 on the shelves now. These are the first ones I've ever seen, but I have a feeling they may be turning up more and more now.