PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Ordering Episode 2 figures? NOT

Tycho
10-01-2001, 02:13 PM
Anyone already tired of seeing these ads? "Pre-order the first 6 now!"

SirSteve already said that these 6 figures are the FX-7 wave and Eeth Koth / Zutton stuff. Also remember that Bo Shek, Teebo, R5D4 (and another?) have also been announced, so there are approximately 5 to 9 figures that we aren't sure of the case breakdown for, coming out in December or early 2002 anyway. With the exception of Eeth Koth, none of these characters including Queen Amidala will look like they do in Episode 2.

Finally, going to Midnite Madness (if they have one - and they should) and finding these things at retail or where you'll also find a lot of other collectors assembled with whom you can trade for what you want, all goes into my reasons for waiting, and not pre-ordering. Let alone the fact I'll probably get figures faster by hunting for them at retail, than anyway else.

And oops: one more thing. With the vehicles, beasts, deluxe figures, 12 inch, etc. all coming out then too, I'm sorry but I don't know if I'll have enough cash (or credit) to spend it on extra figures packed multiple per case. (Like how many Dexter Jettsters will I need? He's in like one scene!)

I don't mean to sound negative. In fact I can't wait to see all the product for this movie - and open 'em up and play with my toys!
So bring it on! - but I won't pre-order undetermined cases.

JEDIpartner
10-01-2001, 02:25 PM
I am SO with you on that!

I am not a completist by any stretch... although I do have a pretty extensive collection. I will really have to see what they ultimately come up with before I plunk down any cash.

For as much as I love STAR WARS and collecting figures, I have to keep a budget and I'm not gonna just buy crap because it is marked "STAR WARS"...

Rollo Tomassi
10-01-2001, 05:36 PM
Midnight Madness is half the fu...well, one-third...okay 2/7ths the fun. I'll wait until then and just salivate at pictures on the internet...

Lobito
10-01-2001, 06:43 PM
IMO hasbro will not flood the market as they did two yrs ago, so chances are that the figures u think are difficult to find (f.e. Jango Fett) are the ones that fans will preorder to prevent missing them in normal stores or even in MM, (if u arrive late) I still will not preorder, it just cuts the fun of hunting that figure down. :D

JEDIpartner
10-02-2001, 10:46 AM
Of course we KNEW this was going to happen...

This was posted by Diamond...

"Due to a misinterpretation of information on the part of the supplier, Kenner's listing for its Star Wars Episode II Preview Figures (OCT013365, SRP: $8.00) was inaccurate. The six figures that will be available beginning in December 2001 will actually be Classic characters: FX-7, Amidala in Black Gown, Rebel Trooper, Imperial Trooper, Snaggletooth, and Eeth Koth. Kenner apologizes for any inconvenience."

JediCole
10-02-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
IMO hasbro will not flood the market as they did two yrs ago, so chances are that the figures u think are difficult to find (f.e. Jango Fett) are the ones that fans will preorder to prevent missing them in normal stores or even in MM, (if u arrive late) I still will not preorder, it just cuts the fun of hunting that figure down. :D

I have to disagree with you to a small degree on this point, Lobito. I don't believe that we will see nearly the exhaustive volume of product fall dead center on the marketplace that we did with Episode I, certainly most retailers are still reeling from that particular fiasco. However, at the same time, most retailers will recognize that this is not just the latest assortment in the existing line, new mixed with old (pegwarmers). This is a whole new ballgame.

The most ideal aspect of producing Episode II as an initially independent line from POTJ is that it will be perceived as a whole new product. And as such, the smarter retailers will recognize the necessity to order ample supplies to have on hand for the official release. I think the buyers will be a little more cautious than they were with EI, but they will not simply ignore the EII line. If that were going to be the case, we would not now be seeing so many new releases under POTJ. Believe me, there is a reason that figures like Shmi Skywalker and Lott Dodd were delayed, yet the line as a whole thrives despite the prior stigma of Episode I.

"Midnight Madness" was evoked here and I must again say that if Toys R Us is not planning to do that again, they are fools. I only visited one store that morning and was there when the first hour's tapes were run. I have forgotten the exact figure, but the registers had taken in the tens of thousands of dollars in a single hour. I don't believe in the history of the chain that any single store had ever taken in that much business in a single hour. I have no doubt that the same success was repeated almost chain wide (there is one store I know of in my area I wouldn't go to at midnight, I rarely go to that one in daylight!). I was unable to get a single Darth Maul of any kind that morning, but later the same day I went next door to Target (who did not have a midnight release) and found tons of them, as I continued to do weeks later while TRUs shelves remained picked over (and they had pocketed the most cash).

Regardless, I think that 12" figures are the only ones worth preorder consideration. I never saw a Darth Maul 12" figure on the shelves ANYWHERE until the release of the terrible electronic version. I finally bought one from a friend second hand when he decided he was "getting out of Star Wars". But even then, some places are showing an increased affinity for Star Wars in general and have been better about ordering ample supplies of our favorite toys. Yet the bitter struggle to find some figures (Shmi) continues!