PDA

View Full Version : Good friend or comen theff

mylow thehutt
06-26-2002, 04:11 PM
:mad: I had my friend over today,and we were playing video games,my new one I just got.any way he said he was getting a Playstation2 soon and said how cool this game was,so we go down stairs to waite for his dad,so I decided to go on the computer.He then goes up stairs then comes down,his dad shows up he then leves,I then go up stairs to play my game but mysteroulsy it's missing! Not once did I take it out or even touch it,So I called his brother one of my best friends,and he said I'll ask him but don't think he would do somthing like that,Well now i have to waite to see even if he took it.:rolleyes: witch I think he did.

El Chuxter
06-26-2002, 04:17 PM
That sucks. :( I had something very similar happen when I was younger, back in the olden days of Atari 2600's. Someone I thought was a friend stole several games--including all of my Star Wars games. I was never able to prove it or get the games back, but hopefully you'll have better luck.

Of course, I wouldn't come right out and accuse him of stealing--he may have, for whatever reason, thought you wouldn't mind if he borrowed it.

Kuzu
06-26-2002, 08:33 PM
Man thats a bummer mylow if i were you I'd call his parents and ask if they'ed seen it.

bigbarada
06-26-2002, 09:37 PM
I would ask him politely if he mistakenly thought he could borrow it, like EC said. If he denies everything then take it up with your parents and they should call his parents and discuss it. However, they shouldn't just come right out and accuse the other kid of being a thief since his parents will become instantly defensive and assume the "oh, my little angel could never do something like that" stance.

If none of this works then the only real thing you can do is to never have that kid over to your house again. Going to court over it is too expensive since you could buy 50 PS2 games with all the lawyer and court fees your family would incur. You might just have to suck it up, buy another game and scratch that guy off of your list of trusted friends.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to pop him in the nose the next time you see him.;)

Jayspawn
06-27-2002, 12:31 AM
I would go over to his house and do some investigating. See if it's around, see if he's playing it. Then if he is, just steal your game back.

2-1B
06-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
However, they shouldn't just come right out and accuse the other kid of being a thief since his parents will become instantly defensive and assume the "oh, my little angel could never do something like that" stance.

Agreed. :mad:
I hate that mentality - there are plenty of bad bad bad bad kids in the world yet so many parents think theirs is so innocent. In the history of mankind, shouldn't we have caught on to this by now? Personally, I'm 24 and when I was a kid there were plenty of stunts that kids pulled (and have for ages) and got away with. Now, as people my age start having kids, many of them will fall into that same mentality that bigB mentioned . . . that's why I would make a strange parent, because when my kid pulls something like that and tries to play me like a fool, I'll look at him and suspect, "b.s. I know how this racket works" because I've done it myself.
Nope, instead it seems that a lot of people become either geuinely ignorant or rather amnesiac when they procreate.

Yes, I know it's not all parents, so please don't take offense. ;)

Emperor Howdy
06-27-2002, 02:31 AM
Atari 2600.....wow. Those were the days.

Remember that crappy E.T. game?

Raiders of the Lost Ark was cool, though.

...and does anyone remember that contest they had where you could win a sword, a chalice, etc. by beating those element-based games? I think it was like Earthworld, Fireworld, Waterworld, and Airworld. Did anyone ever beat any of those?

...or the hidden dot in "Adventure" that you could use to cross the wall to get into the "creator's initials room"?

...or not firing a shot on level 13 in "Missle Command" to get the "LM", or whatever?

...or purposely missing the net in "Human Cannonball"?...or shooting the dude off the screen? :D

"Yar's Revenge"......"Haunted House"......and when Activision's graphics actually seemed ahead of it's time?

Yep.....those were the days.

Oh...and mylow....he stole it, man. Stop kidding yourself. Call his parents.....or handle it the old-fashioned way: Introduce your fist to his mouth. :evil:

Obi-Don
06-27-2002, 02:52 AM
Yeah,it seems funnie how it just disapeared. Do call his parents or have your parents handle it. If he did take don't let him near you or anything else. I can't stand a thief in any form. I don't know you that well,but I would bet that you would have let him barrow it if he asked.

pthfnder89
06-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

Agreed. :mad:
I hate that mentality - there are plenty of bad bad bad bad kids in the world yet so many parents think theirs is so innocent. In the history of mankind, shouldn't we have caught on to this by now? Personally, I'm 24 and when I was a kid there were plenty of stunts that kids pulled (and have for ages) and got away with. Now, as people my age start having kids, many of them will fall into that same mentality that bigB mentioned . . . that's why I would make a strange parent, because when my kid pulls something like that and tries to play me like a fool, I'll look at him and suspect, "b.s. I know how this racket works" because I've done it myself.
Nope, instead it seems that a lot of people become either geuinely ignorant or rather amnesiac when they procreate.

Yes, I know it's not all parents, so please don't take offense. ;)

Yeah but it is a LOT of them.:rolleyes: You're absolutely right Caesar. I've known so many parents whose kids do *really* awful things to other people and when someone tells them about it they just look that person like they're insane. "Not MY son. He would NEVER do something like that...":mad:

It's not that I don't understand that parents wouldn't want to believe that their kid could do something bad, but at some point they just need to face up to the facts.

I'm like you Ceasar. I've alwaysd sworn to myself that when I become a parent I will never just turn the other way when my kid does something bad.

DarthBrandon
06-27-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
:mad: I had my friend over today,and we were playing video games,my new one I just got.any way he said he was getting a Playstation2 soon and said how cool this game was,so we go down stairs to waite for his dad,so I decided to go on the computer.He then goes up stairs then comes down,his dad shows up he then leves,I then go up stairs to play my game but mysteroulsy it's missing! Not once did I take it out or even touch it,So I called his brother one of my best friends,and he said I'll ask him but don't think he would do somthing like that,Well now i have to waite to see even if he took it.:rolleyes: witch I think he did.

Don't kid yourself Mylow, the game didn't get up and walked away. I had this happen with an old friend who never had any money, but every time we went out he had money to buy beer and cigs. We couldn't figure out where he was getting the money, so my roommate at the time asked me if I knew what happened to all the change he had in his change pot, I said no I'm not home in the daytime only Joel is. Then it clicked in missing grad ring, gold chain and missing change from my buddy Kent. It had to be Joel, so to make a long story short Joel was never allowed around our place while both of us were not home again.
Needless to say the theft stopped there and we knew we had our thief. We never said anything about it to him ( punched him out or what not ) cause it would cause more problems than it's worth. So just right him off like we did if that's the case.

sith_killer_99
06-27-2002, 07:15 PM
The same thing happened to me YEARS ago. During the Original POTF days, I REALLY wanted a Han Solo in Carbonite. My parents went NUTS trying to find one for me.

A friend of mine came over and ended up stealing it. My parents called his parents. They told my mom that he had MS (which he did) and that they spoil him because he won't live very long. They bought him ANYTHING he wanted. Unfortunatly they were unable to find a Han in Carbonite.

They ended up paying my parents for the Han.:mad:

I ended up without a Han. 'Til last year.:D