PDA

View Full Version : Giving up smoking cigarettes

Jargo
06-26-2002, 05:54 PM
Well, after roughly 17 years as a smoker I finally found a way to start quitting the disgusting habit. Both my partner and I smoke but it's got too expensive and our health has been suffering lately. So we decided enough was enough and set about making a plan to quit. Just giving up cold didn't work at all and neither did the patches or the gum. So we decided to wean ourselves off the dreaded cancer sticks.

We have a weekly sheet of boxes that we have to check every time we have a cigarette and write down the times we smoked them. We allowed ourselves a fortnight to drop down by one cigarette. next fortnight we drop down by another and so on. We've gone from 15 a day to seven already and so far I'm ok on the withdrawal symptoms, but it's getting tougher.

It might not seem like we're heavy smokers but doctors say even three a day is heavy. It takes three months to get the toxins out of your system and three years to get the craving out.

So far since we started the plan I've only weakened twice and gone over the daily alloted amount. I felt real guilt for it and it strengthened my resolve to do better. Might sound silly but this is really hard. 17 years is a long time to be a smoker, my partner has been a smoker for 31 years. It's not a habit after that long it's a life thing. I get up and have a ciggie for breakfast, I can't go to bed without first having a ciggie. Every time I eat or stop doing anything I get strong cravings to reach for the packet. tough tough tough. I hope to have cracked this by the fall ready for a smoke free xmas.
I'm also looking forward to a nicotine free house and clothes. Everything smells bad when you smoke. Food tastes like poo. People stand a few feet away from you because you smell. There's a need to slope off for a crafty ciggie every so often and not having a ciggie makes you cranky and bad tempered. The worst thing for me is that without cigarettes I get violent rages and violent with things and people. This drug has taken hold of my life and I don't want it any more. I'd like to be able to breath again, smell things again, be clean again.

As I progress and drop more cigarettes from my day I'm likely to get really grumpy and I wanted to take this opportunity to say that if I say anything sarcastic to people, I don't really mean it. I'll try to stay away from here if I get grumpy but there may be the odd post that flares up like Oscar the grouch. Please don't take anything I say personally. Just having a bad day with this quitting will be what it is.

Thanks.
Andy. :)

Beast
06-26-2002, 06:02 PM
Good for you Emporer Jargo. My great great grandmother who raised me, smoked from the time she was 14, up until about 4-5 years ago. She will be celebrating her 83rd birthday this year and is still as healthy as a horse. She's even better after she ditched the cigarette habit. She was smoking around a pack a day or so, up until she quit. Again, I applaud your dedication, and don't worry about being a little crabbier for a while. I don't think we will even notice. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-26-2002, 06:34 PM
Good luck! I applaud your efforts!

Deoxyribonucleic
06-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Hey Jargo...I saw this post and couldn't help but reply to you! First, although I don't KNOW you, I'm proud of anyone who quits being that I just quit 4 months and exactly 3 weeks ago today! I smoked for about 15 years and quit once 2 years ago for a bit but this time is the real thing! I can give you some advice and of course you will do with it as you please...as you, I LOVE SMOKING...always will and it WAS part of my life...that is the trick...to make it less and less a part of your life. What I did first was use nicotine gum...the unbrand name because it's cheaper and works just the same. I'll tell you it REALLY helped with the cravings which is what gets you in trouble in the first place...we get the cravings and then give into them. I did NOT use it for 3 full months as they say you should, believeing that maybe for some they need it that long but to me, the more I'd use it, the more dependant I'd be on IT. So I used it for about 3 weeks and then during the last week of using it, I interchanged it with regular gum (big red 'cause it's got GREAT flavor hehe) and then after not using the nic gum anymore, I chewed normal gum lots and then discovered sun flower seeds which I must say have been a GOD SEND (still in their shell of course)...they really really really help with the oral fixation that I had with smoking and give me something to do with my mouth and hands. I have been eating a bit more than usual and have gained about 15 pounds but I only weighed 110 anyhoo and am 5' 5.75" so it's not so bad and it was helpful. Just two weeks ago I started exercising, riding bikes etc. (since you can only do one thing at a time ie: quitting smoking) and now I can breath so easy and I feel SO GOOD after exercising. I rarely think of having a ciggie now especially after exercising. Although we are of course different people and have different needs, the addiction to nicotine is the same for all of us and yes I was quite the b**ch for a couple of weeks but that nic gum also helped with that and I also had to deal with my partner still smoking so at least you and your partner are doing it together. I hope this will help in anyway you quitting...just know that you as a person are WAY more powerful than some stupid drug to run your life and after the worst is over, you won't get those heart attacks from "Merde...where are my cigarrettes?" or "Damn, I'm almost out of smokes!" etc. AND what's best...you will have more money for STAR WARS FIGS. That's what I did..I replaced buying a pack of smokes (about $5.25 here in So. California) with buying a star wars figure which turns out to be a good way to build armies :) Anyhoo, I'll shut up now and I wish you and your partner my absolute best! Again I know that we don't know each other BUT, we already have star wars in common so that's cool so if ever you wanna type/talk please feel free!

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Eternal Padawan
06-26-2002, 07:24 PM
Congratulations on your increased income, jargo. I have never picked up a cigarette or drank any kind of alcohol, so I'm happy to see when someone gives up the ffff.....ags...:eek: Someone once told me if you switch to a disgusting brand that you absolutley loathe the taste, you'll quit in no time...don't know if that's true or not.

Anyway. Cheers. and Good Luck.

Jargo
06-26-2002, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the support and advice guys. Deoxyribonucleic,
I tried the gum thing but I started to smoke with it. It really made no difference to me - Unfortunately. :(

EP, I tried smoking really cheapo Portugese brands with asbestos filters and paper that looks like toilet paper and a tar level of 389.23 or something stupid. gave me a sore throat and a headache but didn't stop the cravings. :(

I worked out that the worst times are right after food and as I get up and when I go to bed. All's I have to do is to try to stretch the time when I have the first ciggie of the day to meet the middle one, and the last ciggie of the day the opposite direction. The aim is to end up only smoking in the early evening and then to try to cut that out too. but all the while, like musical chairs, I reduce by one cigarette a fortnight.

To try to quell the mouth cravings I started to eat crackers. dry crackers. The more you have to chew something the more you beat the craving aparently. Trouble is the fat content of crackers. Thank god it's summer and I can go on long walks to burn the fat off.

Actually I beat the alcohol a few years back after seeing first hand what that stuff does to people. Lost three family members through alcohol abuse. It gave two heart disease and one sclerosis of the liver. Not nice. I gave up alcohol overnight. Wish in a sense that I'd witnessed lung cancer first hand too. Not in a bad way, I wouldn't wish that kind of pain or suffering on anyone. But if I'd known that experience years ago after I started to smoke I'd have given up straightaway instead of taking years off my life and blackening my own lungs with tar and other disgusting chemicals.

But on the bright side, there is the money saved from not smoking. works out at 816.00 a year for the two of us at our current rate of smoking. that'd be about 1,230 US Dollars. That's a lot of stuff we could have been buying over the years, a lot of vacations we could have had or investments we could have made.
In a way when I look back all I see is opportunities going up in smoke - literally. And I only started to smoke because my best friend wanted me to so we'd look 'cool'...... D'OH!!! :eek:

Y'know now I think about it, the reason I came up with this quitting plan is that when my partner and I both smoke together the dog gets up and walks to the back door and nudges it with his nose. Which is his way of saying open the door.
It was the dog saying the house was too smokey for him that made me realise how bad things had got.
A dogs nose is fifty times more sensitive than a human nose. what the hell have I been doing to that poor animal all this time? Poor wee lamb....... :p

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-26-2002, 08:07 PM
Tha'sa good approach to a healthy life. Now if I can only convince my pals to so smokin.

bigbarada
06-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Good luck, Jargo, we're all rooting for ya!:D

LTBasker
06-26-2002, 10:42 PM
G'luck Jargo, I know how bad smoking can be - my mom's smoked for a long time. It's kinda shocking when you take a picture down that's been hanging up for awhile on a "white wall" and see the shade differences on the wall space behind the picture compared to the surrounding area.

RAVAZ
06-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Bravo! Beat the addiction!

I've tried and done many things in my 28 years of experience. I'm happy to say the only thing I ever got addicted to was comics, toys, rock N roll, and my fiance. Life is good!

Dar' Argol
06-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Bravo to you and your partner Jargo!!! Coming from a smoker I wish you the best!! Just don't become one of those annoying Born-Again-Non-Smokers!! I can't stand those ppl.

I myself have tried quiting twice. Once about 5 years ago(for 2 weeks:rolleyes: ), and then recently about 2 years ago. It was around the time my wife got pregnent. We were both down to 1 a day!! Then my father died and that shout that right down the poopy shoot. But I have not gotten back up to where I was b/4. I use to smoke 2 packs a day, now only 1. I think the whole reason I have not quite yet is the fact that I do not want to quit. Without the will to quit, there is no reason to try. One of these days I will want to, and I will struggle to, but I will kick it. Just not now:rolleyes:.

Jargo, one of the things that helped my wife and I cut back was to quit smoking in the house!!!! We started that in out last apartment(flat:D) and when we bought our house, we never smoked in it. It kinda helps you cut down when you got to think about getting up and going outside for a smoke. Expecially on those cold winter days:eek:. Brrrrrrrr!!!!

OneArmedJango
06-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Good job man. my dad wasd a smoker for a long time. I know its hard to quit. But you can do it!

Obi-Don
06-27-2002, 03:05 AM
I happy for you and know how hard it is. We have another baby on the way and I have been thinking about giving it up to. I like your idea and just may give it a try.

2-1B
06-27-2002, 03:18 AM
I offer my support to everyone trying to quit, and congratulations to those who have succeeded. :)

Jargo
06-27-2002, 06:53 AM
Coolio! The support is brilliant. really helping me feel like i have something to achieve. Thanks again guys. :)

Now, if we could just help Caesar to quit his Ricky McC avatar habit........... :D

JetsAndHeels
06-27-2002, 10:00 AM
Hey Jargo, I wish you the best of luck. I was a smoker for several years and then one day I just decided to quit, cold turkey. I got tired of how it made me smell and my girlfriend said she hated "kissing an ashtray." So I threw them all away and havent looked back since. I was grumpy and irritable too for a few weeks after that. But once you get through those tough first days or weeks, its pretty easy after that. Food tastes so much better, the air is so much clearer, and if someone is smoking nearby, you can pick it up like a radar!! I noticed that when I was smoking I could not detect the smell as well, but now I can pick it up like a bloodhound.
So I wish you and your partner the best of luck!!

Mandalorian Candidat
06-27-2002, 10:09 AM
Have you thought of making Tobacco Tea? I've tried this with other smokers and it's helped them to quit.

You take one or two ciggies, break up the tobbaco into water, let it sit around until the crud in them leaches into the water, filter off the floaties, then chug-a-lug. I've been told that the taste is so disgusting it makes you want to stop, at the very least for a few hours.

billfremore
06-27-2002, 10:49 AM
Jargo I wish you the best of luck.

I myself have been smoke-free for 1 year and 8 months.

I used the patch to help me but the best thing you can do is prepare yourself mentally for it.
I used a goal to help me. All the money I saved from smoking I put towards buying my PS2 and that was pretty good motivation :)

I'm especially glad I quit since they rasied the price of cigarettes here in Canada. Some places are selling them for $9 a pack.

Quitting smoking is a very difficult thing but it does get easier as time passes, believe me.

sith_killer_99
06-27-2002, 11:05 AM
I quite EXACTLY 5 months ago today!:D

My daughter was born Jan. 27th and I haven't smoked since. My wife quite when she found out she was pregnant. I didn't smoke around her, but it took me a little longer to kick the habit.

She was the lucky one. The pregnancy made her SICK of cigarettes (and smoke) and she was ALREADY irritable;) .

I used the patch and Nicopops (Nicotine lolipops). Unfortunatly, the pops can give you a sore throat so the FDA decided NOT to approve them. Fort Knox was one of the test sites, so I lucked out with a trial of the pops. They worked great for me.:)

Anyway, smoking killed my grandmother (emphazima (sp?))! My mother has it now and is in pretty bad shape, my sister is starting to have troubles as well, ALL are/were smokers.

As for me, I never planned to smoke past age 30 anyway. Plus it was SERIOUSLY starting to affect my 2 mile run time.

RooJay
06-28-2002, 04:12 AM
Good Luck Jargo! Cigarettes are evil (like the FRU-ITS of the DE-VIL!), an you're much better off without them! My mother smoked for most of my life; since before I was born, up until about four years ago (I just turned 28!). I've hated smoking every single day of my life, and have always felt bad for those who are addicted to the stuff! Thank goodness I've never felt the urge to take it up myself, as I've heard a lot of children of smokers do! One day my mom just got fed up with it and quit, gradually at first (with the help of the nicotine gum), and then she eventally gave up on that and just went cold turkey. Until that day, I had never felt more proud of her. Quitting smoking definitely changed her life (and mine in a way) for the better! Don't give up the fight bro!

Jonna
06-28-2002, 12:29 PM
I tried quitting once. Didn't much care for it. I'll try again eventually, but just not while working at my current job.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-28-2002, 11:31 PM
Well done for completing something that many people just can't seem to do. Quit smoking. They try and I know it is hard, but as a nonsmoker, I will never understand the struggle it is to quit that bad habit. It's probably like giving up on Star Wars collecting.

I come from a family of smokers: my mom, my dad, my brother, my sister and my grandmother of 81 years. Only my dad quit (he was forced to because of health problems. Hasn't smoked in 7 years but the downside is that he gained a lot of weight). My mom is a quitter off and on. She estimates that she has attempted to quit at least 15 times in her life. But she smokes just a handful of ciggies a day, down from her high of 2 packs. My bro, sis and grandma all smoke like a tree. I still fear for their health.

I am glad I never got into the habit. I guess watching my family smoke turned me off. Sorry, I don't want any scuzzy teeth, cigarette breath, or chimney smelling clothes. Emphysema and lung cancer are also big turnoffs.

Congrats again on your victory.

Jek Porky 2002
06-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey Jargo, your partners been smoking for 31 years, does this mean she's the older woman, you lucky *****!

scruffziller
06-29-2002, 04:56 PM
I never really got heavily into cigarettes, I was starting to become addicted once, I at most smoked one pack in a whole month. But the fear of becoming addicted for life broke my habit.

Jargo
06-29-2002, 05:25 PM
I think where I fell down with smoking was where I was drinking heavily at the same time. Couple of pints of strong cider inside and I reached for the vending machine and a pack o' camel. Smoked like a chimney all night and upped the dosage of chemicals in me cnsiderably. Did that for several years more than i care to remember. After I quit drinking i tried several times to go cold turkey on the cigs but failed every time. Now I've been settled with my partner for six years i think I'm stable enough and confident enough to do this. And doing it together is the key i think. I'm quite weak willed in some respects hence the fact that I have no money because I go out buying all the darned toys "Ooooh, shiny...!!!" :crazed:

Good on you billfremore and sith_killer_99. I just hope I don't turn into one of those born again non smoker people who sit in a smokey bar and waft the smoke away from their faces like big girlys. If you don't want to be surrounded by smoke don't go to a smokey bar :D I certainly won't be. Once I'm rid of the toxins and get my lungs back again I'll be starting a healthy regime of good food and exercise. But I won't be turning into a physical jerk. Just stuff to keep in trim. Sick of wheezing every time I go upstairs or take the dog out. That's all. :)

Thank god adverts for cigarettes and tobacco are banned in this country. I couldn't cope seeing that everywhere I looked.

This week I've only had one cigarette over my allowance. Tomorrow I drop down one cigarette for the next fortnight. Six a day. Gonna be tough but i'll do it. The support in this thread is so encouraging. Keep it coming guys with your help i can do it, It's almost a challenge now because I've gone public here and stated I'm doing it. I'd feel like such a heel if i failed. It'll be like failing all of you too.

LTBasker
06-29-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I just hope I don't turn into one of those born again non smoker people who sit in a smokey bar and waft the smoke away from their faces like big girlys.

That reminds me.. Theres a commercial they play here for one of those non-smoking commercials and it's this man and woman sitting at a table in a resturant and theres this person at a table next to them who's smoking so a bunch of the smoke is going over to their table while they're looking at their menus and then the guy uses his menu to hit a cloud of smoke over to his wife and so they start using their menus to pass the smoke cloud to each other kinda like an Atari game (Pong I think, can't remember the name...). :D It's even got the sound beeps. :sur:

sith_killer_99
06-29-2002, 09:11 PM
LOL...PONG. I'd like to see that.

Trust me, I am anything BUT a "born again" non-smoker. I really hated those guys when I was a smoker. The only time I find it hard NOT to say something is when I see some poor kid who's parents smoke like a chimney (sp?)!

It makes me want to THROTLE them!:mad:

OK....breath...it will be OK...

Anyway, all those, holy roller Ex-Smokers really used to make me mad as a smoker. They would tell me about quitting and I would just rebel and smoke more. It usually had the OPPOSITE effect than they had intended.

I have also talked to my Mom and Sister about quitting. And, while I support it...I have also come to understand that it TRUELY is something that THEY have to come to in their own way. I cannot MAKE them quite.

All we can do is provide support to those who want to quite.

GOOD LUCK EJ!:cool:

Jargo
06-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Thanks. Briefly - I know what you mean about kids and smoke. The woman next door smoked all through her pregnacy and never quit even with the baby around all day. I see her go out carrying the baby to her chest and there's a cigarette hanging out of her mouth just inches from the baby. It's not as bad now the baby started walking but I swear i was about ready to punch her. The neighbour not the baby. :) phew! But i never smoked near kids not even when I did a stint as a nanny - yes I've had some really odd jobs - Smoking in a car with the windows woumd up and the baby strapped into the back. Just sitting in the smoke! How inhuman is that? GRRRRRRR :mad:

I may break my born again smoking zealot rule to attack my neighbour......

rynobot
06-29-2002, 11:25 PM
Never grew an addiction for tabacco or alcahol. I have how ever grew a taste for another type of smokable substance.

Jek Porky 2002
06-30-2002, 11:18 AM
You meen those chocolate cigarettes don't you?;)

scruffziller
07-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Now my new problem is to give up Vanilla Coke!!!!

Jango Jett
07-14-2002, 10:31 PM
congratulations Emperor Jargo ! you can quit smoking if you
really want to quit, I know it is very hard to quit, my father has
been smoking since he was 12 or 13 and he is now 76 and a
heavy smoker, he smokes Marlboro & Winston the strong type,
he has never tried to quit smoking, he smokes in the morning,
before going to bed, in the middle of the night, after every meal
or snack, when the telephone rings, when the door bell rings,
before he drives, while he drives, before going in the grocery store, after comming out of the grocery store, he probably lights
up a cigarette about every 15 minutes all day long. Im glad I
never got into smoking , drinking, drugs, I learned at a very
young age to stay away from those things. :Pirate:

KingOfSting
07-14-2002, 10:55 PM
hey man i know what its like trying to quit smoking. i only smoked for just over a year, however in that year i went from smoking one a day to as many as possible in a day..sometimes as much as half a pack. because of this and the fact that a lot of my friends were/are smokers made it incredibly difficult to quit. however i managed to overcome my cravings by doing exactly what you are doing, and with the support of my girlfriend. i wish you the best of luck in your quest to conquer your addiction!

sith_killer_99
07-15-2002, 10:05 PM
Just thought I'd check in and see how it's going.

I know it's tough. I almost cracked this week. My biggest thing used to be smoking and driving.

I did a road trip to Ohio...by myself!

I went to pick-up my wife from her mom's and I was DYING for a cigarette while I was...ALONE...and bored!

Well, I managed to hang in there. I just told myself...I have already quite for 5 and a half months. I can't throw all that away. I am a NON-SMOKER now. Yadah yadah yadah. It helped.....a little. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I survived.:D

Jargo
07-16-2002, 06:20 AM
Good for you. SK99 :) I caved in yesterday on my first day of the 'five per day fortnight' I went to eight yeterday which for one thing makes me feel kinda dirty and slutty :D , and secondly I noticed how bunged up my nose is this morning after being able to breathe better sticking to lower numbers. It's really starting to tug at me now. There's a little voice saying "don't give up smoking is lovely, smoking is sexy, smoking is the collest" And I'm trying to smash the voice over the head with a blunt object.

made the decision that when we get down to the three per day fortnoght we'll give one big push and just quit right out. I don't want to drag this out any longer than I have to but going from three to nothing is going to be a hell of a lot easier than going from twenty to nothing. Here's hoping it all goes according to plan. :)

Jonna
07-29-2002, 10:28 AM
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! ! I just quit smoking on Friday and I'm going nuts. I have that feeling like a million little electric ants are crawling all over me. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

sith_killer_99
07-29-2002, 10:56 AM
Just stick to it.

I just hit 6 months!!!

It is tough! I pulled 24 hr duty Thursday. Before I quit I used to go through 2-3 packs when I pulled 24 hr duty. I was SERIOUSLY hurting!!!:(

I made it. You never realize where all of your "triggers" are until you hit them.:eek:

Jonna
07-29-2002, 11:02 AM
I have been smoking for the past 14 years and only quit once for almost 3 weeks.

billfremore
07-29-2002, 11:03 AM
It does get easier Jonna, I've been quit for 1 year and 9 months now and the cravings do get farther and farther apart.

Jargo
07-30-2002, 06:41 AM
You just quit outright Jonna? just stopped dead? OUCH! my deepest sympathies..... :zzz: :dead:

Jonna
07-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Yep! No patch, no gum, no nothing. Just my fingers to chew on. I'm on day four now, yesterday was the worse though.

billfremore
07-30-2002, 11:14 AM
No patch or gum?:eek:

Good god man, quitting smoking is hard enough, don't make it harder!

Jonna
07-30-2002, 12:20 PM
I like to subject myself to mild forms of torture. Now you know why I am so cranky today. I said Weeeeee! damit!!!!

billfremore
07-30-2002, 01:41 PM
Well maybe you should jab yourself in the leg with a fork to distract yourself from smoking then.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Jonna
07-30-2002, 01:44 PM
I would but there is a cork on the fork for safety reasons.

billfremore
07-30-2002, 01:45 PM
Ahh Ruprecht...

You silly man you