PDA

View Full Version : Musical Talent?

Jedi Juice
06-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Just curious, but does anyone else have any kind of musical talent and play an instrument, such as a brass or woodwind instrument?

I play the trumpet.

MikeAndTheBots
06-26-2002, 07:22 PM
I don't play brass or woodwind but I play guitar.

figrin bran
06-26-2002, 09:50 PM
i play guitar as well as a very poor bass. and i'm an even worse slide guitar player.

Jonna
06-26-2002, 09:54 PM
I sang in 3 different bands. Does that count as having any talent or just wanting to party?

bigbarada
06-26-2002, 10:48 PM
I bought a bass guitar while in Korea, since musical instruments were so cheap over there. I tried teaching myself some songs but got frustrated and went back to drawing. I've never played anything since.

I'm thinking I should have started with an acoustic guitar.

boss nass
06-26-2002, 10:49 PM
guitar and piano here

Jedi Juice
06-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Awesome.

QLD
06-27-2002, 12:22 AM
I used to play the following:

Tuba, trombone, baritone, clarinet, bass clarinet, and saxophone.

I have since fallen out of touch with playing them, but would love to pick it up again one day.

Croaker
06-27-2002, 08:36 AM
Guitar, piano and singing.

I used to play the baritone many years ago.

mabudonicus
06-27-2002, 04:31 PM
BB- yeah, you shoulda, it makes things possible at least, and you can have fun without knowing EVERYTHING, or even much about it. (listen to U2, you'll see what I mean)
I play guitar- there's a bad recording on the BYTES page of my site, real format is better... Check it out!! (12 string, heat makes it tricky to tune.... sorry, next one will bve done PRO)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Jedi Juice
06-27-2002, 10:58 PM
Long Dong: that's quite the skill playing six different instruments, let alone brass and woodwind. Were you a music major or did you just feel like learning all those instruments? Anyway, I hope you do pick back up that talent because it's a fun thing to do.

MikeAndTheBots
06-27-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I bought a bass guitar while in Korea, since musical instruments were so cheap over there. I tried teaching myself some songs but got frustrated and went back to drawing. I've never played anything since.

I'm thinking I should have started with an acoustic guitar.
Hm, a bass eh? What kind?
edit: I just felt like posting this, this is one of my guitars. Well one of my two electric anyway (i like this on better).

figrin bran
06-28-2002, 12:46 AM
what's your other guitar, mikeandthebots?

i have a silver fender strat (american :) )myself and more effects pedals than i actually need..boss ds, line 6 delay modeler, digitech rp200.

MikeAndTheBots
06-28-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by figrin bran
what's your other guitar, mikeandthebots?

i have a silver fender strat myself and more effects pedals than i actually need..boss ds, line 6 delay modeler, digitech rp200.
Grey/silver (i think fender calls it "pewter") Fender Toronado. Nice guitar. I luckily haven't gone too effects crazy, a boss ch-1 chorus and ds-1 Dist and an Electro-harmonix Russian Big Muff. I have a standard strat too. Might I add neither are American models.
I have a no-name acoustic too but it kind of sucks so I didn't take a picture :p

RooJay
06-28-2002, 03:40 AM
I have been told that I'm a veritable fountain of undeveloped talent. I have an uncanny ability to pick out tunes on pretty much every musical instrument I get in my hands. I've always wished I had the time and resources to develop my gifts. One day I plan on doing just that. Until then, I can still whistle like you wouldn't believe!;)

gibbspaulus
06-28-2002, 10:27 AM
I can just about play chopsticks on the piano, but my 'thing' is singing. I do lots of talent contests (always 2nd place!!!), and stuff. I recorded a demo last year which has largely gone to family and friends. My repertoire is carbaret stuff; show songs, and pop covers.

After one recent contest I was approached by an independant film maker to sing the soundtrack of her next film, with a possible acting role too! So this is hopefully going to be the year when I get my moment in the spotlight.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-28-2002, 10:33 AM
I used to play the piano and violin when I was in Jr. High and younger. I switched to percussion/drums/drumset when I was in High School. I was in the marching band, jazz band, and orchestra and played EVERYTHING that could make a thump, ding, clash, or clonk. Since then I really haven't picked up anything to try to play, but I can at least still read music and carry a beat.

Jonna
06-28-2002, 11:14 AM
Oh ya! I forgot besides singing in 3 different bands, I also played bass for this gothic band. Which, by the way, had only insane members.

mabudonicus
06-28-2002, 04:34 PM
Oh, I should Prolly mention I can sing too. Singing is the most fun. AND I write stuff, mostly goofy metal about stuff like Hercules, and of course the songs of STANSE- I just wrote "Posed for Action" yesterday, I can't wait to see wwhat you guys think. Prolly you'll like it:)!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

SithDroid
06-28-2002, 09:20 PM
I could have swore we had a thread on this already.

I played violin for 4 years and alto saxophone for 8 years. I was in many choirs over the years and have a pretty good voice. I can also play a little bit of the xylophone, piano, and percussian. I am slowly learning how to play guitar. I pick up instruments pretty fast, but my brother is amazing when it comes to learning a new instrument.

morecow299
07-10-2002, 08:33 PM
i play the alto sax

jdmarlow
07-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by gibbspaulus
After one recent contest I was approached by an independant film maker to sing the soundtrack of her next film, with a possible acting role too! So this is hopefully going to be the year when I get my moment in the spotlight.

It is ironic that you all bring up musical talent, and that gibbspaulus is talking about an independent film maker.

I, myself, am an independent film maker. I am currently working on a project entitled "Street Music", a documentary about musical performance in public spaces. It focusses on the street and subway musicians in New York City. I love NYC and the musicians that play out in the streets here every day. I think it is what makes New York such a special place. If anybody out there is from the city, then you know what I mean.

Jedi Juice
07-10-2002, 09:21 PM
Then I guess New York is alot like the French Quarter in New Orleans. Down Decatur St., tap dancers an musicians alike perform for sidewalk change. The atmosphere is really interesting, since most places don't have people like that.

jdmarlow
07-10-2002, 11:06 PM
I find that to be quite interesting. It is facinating to compare the diversity and complexity of street performance in different urban environments around the world. New Orleans is another hot spot for public performance.

Possibly the most interesting thing I found in my research was that this stuff goes back thousands of years into ancient egypt and greece. We are just pushing forward a ritual that urban civilizations have been practicing since the beginning of advanced culture.

BanthaPoodoo
07-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Heres my musical skill (I learned pretty much everything here in my High School Jazz, Marching, & Concerts bands - except for Sax, been playing it since ~4th grade in 1987, Gosnell, Arkansas):

Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari Sax (they're all pretty much the same, just stretched out a little more, so if you can play one.... Me & a friend used to like to see who could make the lowest note on the Bari & hold it out the longest, we also would BLAT it, & scare the Flutists, hee hee, great times!)
Trombone
Flute (learned from my ex, this one time at band camp........:):):))
Tuba
French Horn
Trumpet (very very limited)

Lastly, Percussion (Timpani, Snare, Bass, etc.... My first year in high school (Bellevue East outside Omaha, NE, I played the cymbals.... them drum line guys are strange folk!!! :) But when I moved to GA Sophomore year, I made it a point to try & learn as much as possible, which came in handy when we needed stand ins..... Aaaaaah, High School Band, brings back lots of memories..... American Pie gave a pretty good description on how things went (at least at the band camps & concerts my school had))

I never could quite get the hand of the Clarinet, being as there are all those keys everywhere, much more so than a Sax....

Okay, I think my post was a case of TMI......