PDA

View Full Version : Dealers and Profiteers

Raiden
06-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Hey all..........this is my first post and not a pleasant one at that. I work for a toy store ( I won't say which yet in case the person in question happens to hang out here) and saw something disturbing today.
At my store we received about 10 cases of Star Wars action figures, 8 of them having Yoda and Dooku.
I placed all these figures on the shelves waiting for happy kids and collectors to come get them. Wanna know what happened? Some middle-aged jerk off came along and grabbed every Yoda and Dooku off the rack and gloated about how much they were going for on eBay.
I wanted to kick that guy in the head. He said he was a collector, but no collector I know ever needed 8 Dookus. I doubt this moron even has 8 friends.

I am thinking of throwing his name out here so he will be forever shamed (he used a charge card so I know the SOB's name).

I wish now that I coulda told him we had more in the back and he wasn't gonna be getting those. :D

QLD
06-26-2002, 09:49 PM
*sets timer* Yep, should be about 10 minutes before someone else starts a different scalper thread.

Beast
06-26-2002, 09:52 PM
I find it funny, that he thinks he's gonna make a mint on his Yoda's and Dooku's. Since Dooku usually only goes for slightly over retail on Ebay now. And Yoda does go for a little more then retail, but can be found online for decent prices if people would take the time to look.

He's definatly not going to get rich doing it. And it sucks that your store is plauged by scalpers. You may wanna consider suggesting to the store that you work for to limit on how many of each charecter can be purchased by the same person. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RAVAZ
06-26-2002, 10:42 PM
Did ya have any Chewies!

Thunderstorm1
06-26-2002, 11:51 PM
I agree with Jar Jar. Most stores should put a limit on how many of each item one person can purchase. Why not make it fair for everyone.

heroclixplayer
06-27-2002, 12:02 AM
RAWWWR, Raiden, you should be happy for that "sob" . He doesn't work, so he's buying starwars to make money. All the "scalpers" have to make a living. Ok, im a "scalper" too!

Beast
06-27-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by heroclixplayer
RAWWWR, Raiden, you should be happy for that "sob" . He doesn't work, so he's buying starwars to make money. All the "scalpers" have to make a living. Ok, im a "scalper" too!
No one should be happy for scalpers. Especially ones that clear the pegs, and keep kids from being able to find their Yoda figures that they want so much. Scalpers don't need to make a living at all, they need to be stopped from hurting the hobby so much. And I pray your kidding about the scalper thing, cause that's not even funny. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

heroclixplayer
06-27-2002, 01:08 AM
Im not a Starwars "scalper", im a farm toy "scalper"

Jaina Solo
06-27-2002, 02:52 AM
That's pretty sad, Raiden. Can't say I'm surprised, though. I saw the same thing happen at a store here just the other day- there were eight or nine Yodas, and I saw one guy grab them all. He told me gleefully that he'd just cleaned out the toy store at the other mall the same day. I was disgusted. Nobody needs eight or nine Yodas, plus whatever he picked up at the other store(s).

Obi-Don
06-27-2002, 04:04 AM
It is sad. THe thing is what can you do. A store has to make money and sell its stuff. If we all stop buying from these scalpers they can't make thier money. I will not buy from one. If I can't find it or can't pay a good price for it,I don't need it.

Darth Narcis
06-27-2002, 04:09 AM
i dont really try to fight the scalper power anymore, i mean what can you do?

chubbychicken
06-27-2002, 06:01 AM
ya i think ur store should put a limit on how much one each character one person can buy

icatch9
06-27-2002, 07:41 AM
A limit is a good idea in theory, but really infringes on our rights as a consumer. I don't like these sorts of actions any more than you do. It's sick and happens in all the collectable markets. Limiting us on the number of each particular figure would be good, but all to often the collector gets hurt on this too. Plus, nothing stops that guy from going to his car, putting his stuff away and going back in for more.

I seem to remember that beeny babies once had a limit on them too, and all those people went nuts over them (scalpers too). Now you couldn't sell a beeny baby to buy yourself a coke. Still the limits on them worked, but scalpers where still buying them. The thing about scalpers is that they only upset us (the collectors). Everyone else dosen't even realize what they do or even care.

The enery wasted complaining about this topic could be spent shopping and beating those scaplers to the figures.

A soloution next time is to confront a scalper. Ask him why he does what he does, and ask him if he feels good about keeping these figures out of the hands of others. We know that these things don't sell for $100.00s so, he's barely breaking even when you mix in ebay costs and the time and energy spend finding such items. Ask him about all sorts of these questions and see what he says. He may see the light.

SNAYSON
06-27-2002, 10:12 AM
not much of a living selling star wars on the secondary market. I don't feel bad at all for anyone who has to make a living that way.

Raiden
06-27-2002, 01:13 PM
It's the idiots who ARE buying these things on eBay or in the secondary markets who only further the problem of dealers/scalpers. Patience is a virtue.........eventually all the figures you want will end up in some store half price.

Sad thing to add........the bonehead I mentioned actually said he was a "collector". Um yeah sure........what collector needs 9 Dookus? Jerk. I shoulda took the figures out of his hand and kicked him outta the store.