PDA

View Full Version : yo vulcantouch man!

good shot jansen
10-01-2001, 04:08 PM
currently, you have more than sufficient amount of posts under your belt, so as to allow you the use of a personal avatar.

how's come we ain't seen the new and improved, vt conceived, jt executed, aVaTar deluxe? :confused:

not like it's keepin' moi up at nuite, just thought i'd ask! :p

vulcantouch
10-03-2001, 11:30 PM
. . .as you can see (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1142), i been busy tutoring jt in some rigorous graduate courses in judicious moderatordom ;) speakin of jt, he's the one you should axe, as you can see (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=6295#post6295) :)
vt
np: mazzy, "she hangs brightly"

good shot jansen
10-04-2001, 07:07 AM
after having read the pi post, i have to admit that i wuz ignorant with regards to the brew ha ha that has transpired ala mr. maher's "politically incorrect" comments. (sheesh, i mean one should know what one is gettin into, as they do name the show appropriately, so why the big surprise? :rolleyes: ) i guess i jes need to watch some more tv if i'm to know what's going on. :confused: (actually, the only tv i seem to be watchin' these days is star trek related, what with enterprise and tnn running all those tng episodes)(about time i caught up on that front!:) )

i'm hoping that jt is takin' notice of the civility that does seem to run rampant here at ssg. i thought all along that it only ocured here in our lil' mm world. i'm enthused to find that it seems to branch to most other groups contained here. i found nothing objectionable or of irrational blind rage in any of the posts contained within the pi thread, and more to the point, the continuation in the dammit jt thread shows that the usual suspects here in ssg land, can and do listen to each other, and respond with well thought out expressions of what we feel and deeply believe in.

that of itself speaks volumes of the type o' people's that sw attracts! :)

vt, i did notice you refered to the filmscore monthly as a place where you used ( :confused: ) to frequent.....wazzup wit dat? you love film scores! yu love tawkin' bout filmscores, (heck i even remeber you postin' something to the effect that the only reason you had a tape recorder back in the '70's wuz to hold the condenser mike up tight to the tv speaker to record the filmscore background muzak of the james bond films being shown exclusively on abc)

i went over there and read some of you're's and others later posts (unfortuantely v.3 of the open letter no longer exisits, so's i'm assumin's that's where you drew the line and said good bye, ala your sig in your last post).

if it means anything, you were the main reason why after discovering the buzzboard that i hung around. ( i basically lurked in the shadows cause i'm not very good (or in tune to current pulse....dayum i gotta watch more tv) at frequent postin's (hell i hate typin' out my feelin's and opinions), but was drawn by what you had to say, and the way in which you said it. if you've said goodbye over there, well then ya gotta keep your woid, but i'm sure there are tons o' folks, over at fsm (who like me), choose to stay silent, (either outta fear, or insecurity of being able to keep up with the rabble)(i actually fall under the later), who now miss your very well thought out, percise surgical postin's on all things considered. :(

JediTricks
10-04-2001, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
i been busy tutoring jt in some rigorous graduate courses in judicious moderatordomI'll be blunt in here since I chose to be less so in the thread you're talking about VT, it is not appropriate for anybody but SirSteve to give me lessons on moderating these forums and I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from publically challenging my actions. Private is fine, even privately going over my head to SirSteve is acceptable, but in public, it's not cool, ESPECIALLY when it's not posted in the "comments/suggestions" section. There's a lot of stuff I have to keep in mind while taking actions that Steve has given me to do, even the other moderators don't know about all of it, so if we let one poster slam a mod's actions, we either have to allow everybody to publically tear apart every single action the mods take or allow none of it to keep from looking like favoritism. The only place that stuff isn't totally shot down is in the Comments/Suggestions section, and Steve directly takes care of what is and isn't posted there, I can't verify he doesn't shoot that type of thing down in there since I wouldn't know if he did. This isn't about pride or personality conflicts, this is about SSG policy and other issues which I mentioned in that other thread.

As for your logo, I stopped when you decided you wanted the impossible. 75 pixels wide is maximum width on these forums and the graphic I made was 74 wide, thicker wouldn't work if you wanted ALL of the logo there, as well as looking balloonish; and wider is literally impossible. See the attached to see what I'm talking about, I made it 25% thicker and 20% wider, and as you can see... "bleah".

JediTricks
10-04-2001, 09:22 AM
Speaking of logos, check out the new JT logo:
jtstlogo.gif (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=12463)

;) ok, maybe not, it's actually from this spoiler-encrusted thread:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=12463#post12463

vulcantouch
10-04-2001, 03:41 PM
-YEAH! now That's the jt we all know & luv ;)

"it is not appropriate for anybody but SirSteve to give me lessons on moderating"
-actually i was hoping you'd word this sentiment thusly: "thanks vt, but i don't Need lessons in judicious moderatordom from a Virtual Terrorist like YEEEWWWW :p " cuz then i coulda responded "who better to help a sheriff lurn how to be a better sheriff than a seasoned criminal?" :cool: but instead you hadda go & drag that nebulous "appropriateness" concept into the discussion, which just muddies everything :(

"I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from publically challenging my actions"
-i must admit i don't understand why you care about that :confused: it's not like in doing so i pose any Threat to your authority; you retain final say regardless, which is what counts :cool:

"Private is fine"
-on the contrary: talking about How we talk is an issue which continually concerns All of us, and as such should be hashed out in Public, where we can all hear, be heard & gain understanding :)

"even privately going over my head to SirSteve is acceptable"
-not to me it ain't; that's just not my style. i've known you (virtually) for three years now, which means you & i've had enough of a history that i'd never tattle to yer boss without first tryin to work things out with you directly :) (besides, my instinct is that you'd have his total support anyway :eek: )
also, because of your extensive participation & devotion to these forums, to me You Are ssg :cool: and in light of the trust he's placed in you, i'm sure ss would be the first one to acknowledge the truth in that view of mine, and wouldn't mind my saying so in the least :) so as far as i'm concerned, it's You i should be dealing with :)

"There's a lot of stuff I have to keep in mind while taking actions that Steve has given me to do, even the other moderators don't know about all of it"
-why not? what would it hurt to detail these considerations right here? it's not like we'd be endangering our spies in afghanistan, right? ;) and who knows, smart fellas like us might even be able to give y'all helpful suggestions or perspective on juggling these Secret considerations :cool:

"we either have to allow everybody to publically tear apart every single action the mods take or allow none of it to keep from looking like favoritism"
-even if i accept that those are the only two choices y'all have, i still don't agree re which of those options is acceptable. only the former one is, cuz who cares if people are allowed to publicly grouse about moderation decisions? it'd be healthy, cathartic venting, and it wouldn't Begin to consititute a threat to moderator authority. one can't be overly concerned with the appearance of favoritism, cuz that always remains partially in the eye of the beholder and out of one's control anyway. you have to trust that what'll matter more in the end is your overall demonstrated judicious exercise of power over the long term, which'll carry much more weight than any short-term perception of bias :)

"I stopped when you decided you wanted the impossible"
-sigh, always with you it cannot be done ;) no problemo; as i said, the fetthelm's always served me just fine :) howEver: your v."bleah" comes purty darn close to the mark, aside from its left & right edges being truncated :) if the whole thing were now shrunk small enough to fit within the parameters while retaining its present proportions, it'd probably be a-ok :D either way, your discretion.

gsj: "the civility that does seem to run rampant here. . . it seems to branch to most other groups contained here"
-well like i sez, you can't blame Me for this insidious Niceness disease infecting ssg ;)

"if it means anything, you were the main reason why after discovering the buzzboard that i hung around"
-well Sure it means something; just don't expect me to get all mushy & say so out loud, any more than you'd say much out loud over at fsm ;)

"i'm sure there are tons o' folks, over at fsm. . . who now miss your very well thought out, percise surgical postin's on all things considered"
-if so, it'd be nice if they'd Say so out loud ;p

"you used to frequent.....wazzup wit dat?"
-quite right: v.3, in which i declared my departure, was indeed inexplicably erased (a final, needless illustration of why i could no longer trust sheriff joe); i'll share its innocuous text with you next chance i get :) i liken my forum participation to flying, and if i can't sufficiently trust the judgment of my traffic controllers in whose airspace i loop-d-loop, i gotta pick my battles & move on :(
now that the weather's cooling & i'm watching more flix, i've been Thinking of resuming my old what we partook of over the hump (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/Forum1/HTML/000685.html) topic in ssg's General section- Provided i can trust this'll be a good place for it. and yes, i know i'll have to curb any cussywords :)
vt
np: gerry rafferty, "right down the line"

JediTricks
10-05-2001, 11:10 AM
Basically, it all comes down to how SirSteve has asked me to run the site's forums for the past 2 years, what types of comments like that he's said I shouldn't allow, and I have to be flexible yet still moderate the forums the way he asks. There are some things I'd do differently, but it's not my place. For little stuff, every once in a while it's not really a big deal to see that type of thing, but with the bigger stuff that draws more eyes and is a more fundamental issue, I have to be less flexible.

who better to help a sheriff lurn how to be a better sheriff than a seasoned criminal?So just observing the criminal isn't enough, I have to "get into his head"? Would Odo approve? ;)

must admit i don't understand why you care about that it's not like in doing so i pose any Threat to your authority; you retain final say regardless, which is what countsAgain, this has to do with the way your comments were made, their specific focus, and the flexibility I'm allowed in such things. If you had come in here and said something, or if you had PMed me, or if you had found a similar thread and posted, I would have been able to address your comments without the (for lack of a more appropriate word) "admonishing", but since it was a new thread with the specific complaint in the title of this new thread, as well as the focus of the first paragraph, it became something I had to address. Believe me, I don't like playing "forum fascist" like that, it lowers how others view my moderator actions in general as well as my non-moderator posts.

on the contrary: talking about How we talk is an issue which continually concerns All of us, and as such should be hashed out in Public, where we can all hear, be heard & gain understanding Unfortunately, it's not my place to allow such discussions in the MISC section, and my hands are tied on discussing SSG policy in details. I've repeatedly asked Steve to do more about this, put it in the FAQ or whatever, but it's still coming together and some of it falls under some vague stuff (like the PICS code contains levels of hate-speech, as if level 2 is somehow better than level 4 - I've written to these organizations several times in the past, they don't have answers either).

As for going over my head, I just want to make sure that everybody, especially my buddies like you MM folks, feel like you have no recourse if I take some sort of action you don't like. I'm not the top of the foodchain here, by choice. ;)

"we either have to allow everybody to publically tear apart every single action the mods take or allow none of it to keep from looking like favoritism"
-even if i accept that those are the only two choices y'all have, i still don't agree re which of those options is acceptable. only the former one is, cuz who cares if people are allowed to publicly grouse about moderation decisions? it'd be healthy, cathartic venting, and it wouldn't Begin to consititute a threat to moderator authority. one can't be overly concerned with the appearance of favoritism, cuz that always remains partially in the eye of the beholder and out of one's control anyway. you have to trust that what'll matter more in the end is your overall demonstrated judicious exercise of power over the long term, which'll carry much more weight than any short-term perception of biasThis is a pretty difficult issue, because I used to allow a lot more of this type of thing back on the old '99 forums, but it started getting ridiculous, with flame wars and people slamming me and the site for having me here in their sig lines and disrupting threads I posted in just because they didn't like being admonished for using naughty language. It became pretty disruptive, and I was then told to start doing things differently - this current issue is the fruit of that policy change, it's ripened over the years.

howEver: your v."bleah" comes purty darn close to the mark, aside from its left & right edges being truncated See, it's this type of confusion that makes my life a living heck. ;) you said you wanted it like the drawing, so I've been working under the assumption that you meant that, when clearly you were being more loose with your descriptions. See attached.

Now, hopefully I won't have to get out the monsterometer (which is actually the frog-exaggerator). :D

vulcantouch
10-05-2001, 12:59 PM
"Would Odo approve?"
-since he reads mickey spillane novels, i'd say so :D

"There are some things I'd do differently, but it's not my place"
-ooo, do tell :)

"if you had found a similar thread"
-in fact, i did look for one before starting the new one (you know how reluctant i am to start frivolous new threds when existent ones'll do), but none really fit the bill imo :(

"it's not my place to allow such discussions in the MISC section"
-if you were to discuss this with ss, i bet he just might Let you :)

"it's still coming together and some of it falls under some vague stuff"
-again, lmk if there's anything, in addition to my postings, i can do to help w/that process; after all, even my opponents reluctantly concede i have a talent for clarifying vaguenesses :cool:
vt
np: donald fay-gen, "new frontier"

vulcantouch
10-09-2001, 09:31 AM
. . .plz push aVaTar's color just a Bit more into purple; Then it'll be perfect -thanx :D

gsj: as promised, text of my now-deleted sept 8 fsm farewell, which was, as you seem to alreddy know, a continuation of a conversation on a prev. thred (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/Forum1/HTML/003083.html). cussywords have been respelled to protect the innocent ;)

big baby: "beech all you want"
-hmmph, like i ever waited around for Your blessing :rolleyes:

"you, constantly threatenting to (leave)"
-on the contrary; never before have i threatened to walk. if you're contending otherwise, i defy you to prove it.

"regardless of what you think, "i have kept my pledge"
-regardless of what you'd have us believe, you allowed yourself to be goaded into returning here numerous times, long before this board became, as you put it, "a diametrically different place" :p

"someone who quotes from Deep Space Nine as if it were ralph waldo emerson"
-gee, i thought you said I was the one who thought he was "part of some sort of intellectual elite" and a "snob" who "looks down his nose at most everyone". to paraphrase dick cavett's rebuttal to a fuming norman mailer, "where is it written that i have to trot out a quote from tolstoy for the likes of You?" :rolleyes:
to paraphrase fred sanford: the shoe fit, so i shoved it up yer nose, simple as that. meanwhile, i'm not exactly sure how someone would quote from ds9 AS IF it were emerson, so feel free to explain whatever the heck That's supposed to mean :rolleyes:

"i am turning blue in anticipation of what will no doubt be a spectacular set of new clothes for the Emporer"
-in that case, it looks like today's yer lucky day, big baybay- watch & learn:
in light of sheriff joe's Second locking of this topic in as many days, and lukas kendall's non-addressing of the legit concerns raised therein, y'all are SEAUUU welcome to take potshots at the dust kicked up by my SEAUUU outta here azz :cool: if/when the no-longer-trustworthy sheriff here's been dismissed, feel free to lmk, i'll be kicking the shee-yot over at my good old micromachine saloon (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24). until then, toodles-
vt
np for me: sakamoto, "last emperor" score :cool:
np for big baby: style council, "boy who cried wolf" :D

i really should let this thred just die; even though, after my "swaffy", "shinky" & "griffy" coinages i probably deserve it, i sure Hate that vulky nickname :mad: :o :p

good shot jansen
10-09-2001, 11:16 AM
i really should let this thred just die; even though, after my "swaffy", "shinky" & "griffy" coinages i probably deserve it, i sure Hate that vulky nickname :mad: :o :p

duely noted :D

vulcantouch
10-09-2001, 11:54 PM
after all, if i dish it out i better be able to take it too :)

"the only reason you had a tape recorder back in the '70's wuz to hold the condenser mike up tight to the tv speaker to record the filmscore background muzak of the james bond films being shown exclusively on abc"
-as announced by ernie "the LOVVVVVVVVVVE boat" andrews? "sean connery Is. . . thunderball" ;)
but it wasn't the Only reason we had a tapey- we also liked to perfect our cheech & chong impressions ;)
vt
np: love boat theme

good shot jansen
10-10-2001, 06:51 AM
you changed thred title; whassamattah, afeard of offendin me?

nah, i'm jes a user friendly moderator!

as fer offendin' youse, my dear touchmiester, i'm afraid that that's an impossibility. afterall for one to be offended, would require one to be without humour, wit, intelligence, and security in ones own self, none of which applies to you.

speakin' of touchin' a vulcan, i tracked down a copy of the recent maxim......youza! hubba hubba!:) :D :cool: :eek: ;)

JediTricks
10-10-2001, 10:11 AM
"more into purple"

Am I missing something about this thread?

vulcantouch
10-10-2001, 03:45 PM
ready?
3. . .
2. . .
1:

uh, jt? how bout makin my aVaTar just a LEEtle more purple?
:eek:
wooo-weee, that was fun, eh gang? he blowed up good, blowed up Real good! so until next time, may the good lord take a likin' to ya, and blow ya up Real good :p

jt: "Am I missing something about this thread?"
-nah, not really, no need to concern yerself (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/Forum1/HTML/003045.html) ;)
vt
np: bee gees, "more than a woman"

JediTricks
10-12-2001, 09:36 AM
even more purple (watch, this will be TOO purple)

vulcantouch
10-12-2001, 09:54 AM
. . .

. . .

. . .

. . . looks fine 2 me :D
now, just coat its outer edges with a narrow tan line (j/k) :)
vt aka big jim mcbob
np: kool&the gang, "open sesame"
p.s. lemme get this straight: someone out there actually bothered to Rate this thred?? :rolleyes: i hereby give that anonymous person's decision to rate this thred ONE STAR :p

SWAFMAN
06-10-2002, 11:58 PM
VT, r2dee2 & any other Colorodans(??), just a quick post to wish you and your families & friends (and everyone there) safety and peace. I hope you are well away from any hot spots.
-- SWAFMAN

r2dee2
06-11-2002, 12:09 AM
SWAFMAN....VERY kind of you:)!! Thanks. I have been taking inventory of things...just in case:( Have actually been considering getting this relativley new technology for saving your house, called Barricade (http://www.barricadegel.com/)

vulcantouch
06-13-2002, 11:21 AM
at one point in moebius' Lieutenant Blueberry western comic, framed presidential assassin blueberry fights with the actual assassin, a prettyboy sharpshooter from back east named Angel Face, on board a runaway train's engine cab. blueb kicks him face-first into the engine's open oven door and jumps off.
years later the horribly-disfigured, still-(though ironically now)-named Angel Face resurfaces and vows, "by god, every night i dream of how i'm gonna kill blueberry an inch at a time" :eek: :evil:

if any of us here should be worried over it's dee2, cuz she's a lot closer to it: the fire nearest here's in a rural area ~40 miles s/se of denver. on its first day- sunday- the mid-day sun here in town was filtered by eerie smoke such that it resembled a ball of molten copper- incidentally, reflecting perfectly off the outer domes of my tibanna refinery mm :cool:
while cafe-patio-slummin that day & the next two, another gnat-sized ash would appear in my drink every 1/2 hour or so. though waiters offered to replace, a lil ash never hurt nobody, so swallow the moment's acrid flavor :Pirate:

"civilized man conceals from himself the extent of his subordination to nature. the grandeur of culture, the consolation of religion absorb his attention and win his faith. but let nature shrug, and all is in ruin. fire, flood, lightning, tornado, hurricane, volcano, earthquake- anywhere at any time. disaster falls upon the good and bad. civilized life requires a state of illusion. the idea of the ultimate benevolence of nature and god is the most potent of man's survival mechanisms. without it, culture would revert to fear and despair."
-from page 1 of paglia's Sexual Personae (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0679735798/reader/8/ref=lib_dp_TT01/103-5477006-6742226#reader-link)
she coulda added eros to that list, cuz Vulcan, Roman God of Fire has been busy on multiple fronts: far from bein some tragic casualty or hero of the rural blazes, i been chillin at my newest discovery, the syd-mead-meets-Limey (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0165854) rooftop patio of funky buddha (http://denver.citysearch.com/profile/11496046/) & tryin to douse a Personal fire by concentrating on starin at the breathtaking, smoke-oranged sunset (which is the only reason i originally went there) rather than the equally-stunning parker posey DEAD RINGER sittin 6 feet away for the second day in a row :eek: sharp-eyed though i am (can't blame it All on the fact that i been starin into the sun :cool: ), i Really thought it could be her, so on my way out i walk up & say "Clockwatchers; Henry Fool; Misadventures Of Margaret; Waiting For Guffman; i just wanted to say you Are the alpha and omega of screen goddesses". she replied "why thank you- but i'm not sure i know what you're talking about"!
you gotta Love that kinda cinema ignorance, beggin as it does for expert cold-season tutelage courtesy Hump (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2216&pagenumber=1)master VT :kiss: i'd be surprised if no one had Ever remarked on her striking resemblance to pp. oh well, maybe next time i'll start off by mentioning You've Got Mail or Scream 3 instead :rolleyes:
but playin with fire is always dangerous. for years i have been largely content in my unsentimental reptillian outlook, and have neither sought nor wanted eros. so with any luck, this ponn farr compulsion will soon pass and Not transform me or upend my life as, as jdah might put it, these things are wont to :sur:
dee2: make sure fire stays away from your place- at least til i get down there to view yer collection ;) lmk if need anythin-
vt

2-1B
08-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I hope to God this turns out to be a false alarm but I got a PM from VT's brother saying that he passed away Monday. PLEASE can anyone confirm this is just a hoax ? ? ? :(

I just got my package from him on Monday and I looked up his profile hoping it would say he was active here AFTER Monday so I could debunk this but I'm afraid this is not a joke? :(

RandallFlagg
08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
I hope to God this turns out to be a false alarm but I got a PM from VT's brother saying that he passed away Monday. PLEASE can anyone confirm this is just a hoax ? ? ? :(

I just got my package from him on Monday and I looked up his profile hoping it would say he was active here AFTER Monday so I could debunk this but I'm afraid this is not a joke? :(Nope. Not a hoax. Look upthread.