PDA

View Full Version : Keeping you'r stuff mint.

OneArmedJango
06-26-2002, 11:25 PM
Hey, I've been collecting scince 1993 (I'm only 16 years old) and I always try to keep my stuff mint. I wanted to know if any of you have any ways to keep your stuff in good shape. heres what I do.

*Keep out of direct Sun light.

*Keep away from water.

*Never pack them to tight.

*Handle with clean hands.

*Do not bend the cards.

*NEVER, NEVER open them.

I dident go to Toys R Us to day, insted I went to Ikea. I bought a lamp. Any way, I hang all my Star Wars figers up around the border on my room (the part ware the wall meets the roof) The lame is about 1 1/2 feet from the bottum of the figers. Do you guys think the heat from the lamp will mess up the bubles on the cards? I need to know.

-One

JediTricks
06-27-2002, 10:36 PM
OAJ, let me know where this was intended to go and I'll move it there. For now, it's in MISC.

MikeAndTheBots
06-27-2002, 10:51 PM
I got a question regarding keep cards and such mint: How would one send a carded figure to keep it in the best condition possible without paying an arm and a leg?

Dar' Argol
06-27-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
I got a question regarding keep cards and such mint: How would one send a carded figure to keep it in the best condition possible without paying an arm and a leg?

I sent one to JJB recently. I wrapped it in bubble wrap, filled the box(which was a little bigger the nthe carded fig) with packing peanuts, and taped it shut. It weighed under 1lbs. I shipped it USPO Prioity and it only cost $3.50(hey Jar, I forgot to tell you, you want the other $.45 back???)

MikeAndTheBots
06-27-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol

I sent one to JJB recently. I wrapped it in bubble wrap, filled the box(which was a little bigger the nthe carded fig) with packing peanuts, and taped it shut. It weighed under 1lbs. I shipped it USPO Prioity and it only cost $3.50(hey Jar, I forgot to tell you, you want the other $.45 back???)
Sounds simple enough, one question: If I don't have the box and such where can I obtain it?

Dar' Argol
06-27-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots

Sounds simple enough, one question: If I don't have the box and such where can I obtain it?

Post office has them for sale, any shipping place near you, or got to your friendly nieborhood Wal-Mart early in the morning and ask one of the employees stocking shelfs if you could look through the boxes and take one:D. Empty of course:rolleyes: :D.

MikeAndTheBots
06-27-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol

Post office has them for sale, any shipping place near you, or got to your friendly nieborhood Wal-Mart early in the morning and ask one of the employees stocking shelfs if you could look through the boxes and take one:D. Empty of course:rolleyes: :D.
Thanks.

Jedi Clint
06-28-2002, 12:44 PM
I have been looking for a place to drop this tip:

Anyone who's been lucky enough to score the Phantom Menace Pepsi stand-ups/displays (or any similar collectible), may have had some trouble storing it/them. I have a solution for you. Measure your display(s). Get the height, width, and depth. Call up your local packing and moving supply companies. Ryder and U-Haul are 2 of the bigger organizations in my part of the country. Ask them if they sell Mattress Cartons. You may also need mattress bags if you intend to store them in a location outside your home, but even if you choose the basement or attic, it doesn't hurt to get mattress bags (2 for each stand-up the same size as the carton you purchased). You are going to need something capable of hauling a mattress in order to retrieve the mattress box. I cut the box down to fit the stand up PLUS left enough excess to create flaps with which to close the carton. The mattress bags I purchased had a few holes in them from the manufacturing process. It helps if you tape those shut because once you slide the display in and tape up all but enough of a gap to fit the nozzle of a shop-vac in, you can then vacu-seal your display! Shove it in the mattress carton you cut down, and tape it shut. Slip the carton inside the second mattress bag, and tape that shut. I feel fairly safe having mine stored in my Morton building, even though it is not a moisture or temperature controlled environment. I would like some advice on pest protection though. :)

Jedi_Bates
07-20-2002, 08:40 PM
I lose...

I just happen to live in a place where there is no wal mart for about 30 miles!
if i had my license i would be willing to drive myself there, but what a drag...
No Wal-Mart near us... atleast we have a TRU not too far away

SWAFMAN
07-20-2002, 10:37 PM
Here's a tip I learned the hard way....
Do not store any boxes or cards up against a painted wall.
I recently had a shingle blow off the roof, and a leak developed.
The water came down the wall I had my collection set up against, and wasn't noticeable for a couple days. By then it had mostly dried, and the wall's paint adhered to one of my SW action fleet boxes. It was like having a patch of dried spackle on the box.

Jango Jett
07-21-2002, 01:10 AM
The best way to keep your figures mint is to pack them away in
a large cardboard box and avoid excessive handling, also keep
them in a cool dry place like you would store canned foods.
Avoid storing in humid or damp areas like the garage, a closet is
the ideal storage area, or spare room.