PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the wrong thing?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-27-2002, 10:53 AM
So I was at my local KB yesterday and checking out the SAGA figures. I saw 1 Sneak Preview left- Jango, but I passed on it since the only SP figure I want is the Clone Trooper. As I was searching through the figures, a kid, maybe 6 or 7, came up and took that Jango and asked my opinion of the toy. I told him that looks like a great figure and told him it would be worth a lot in the future if he didn't open it. His face lit up when I told him this. He said that he already had this Jango but after what I told him he wanted to buy it to not open it and took the toy to his mom. I thought in my mind, I just made a future collector. Then it hit me, this was a kid I was talking to. Kids that age should be playing with toys, not keeping them MOC. I was gonna tell him just buy a figure that he really wants and not one you already have just to have on display, but he and his mom bought it and were gone. I felt as if I had swindled him, but I had no intent to. :(

Jonna
06-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Great, now you've created a future scalper........

...Na , just kidding. You were merely thinking about the figure differently than him. Don't worry about it.

JEDIpartner
06-27-2002, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about it... you just helped pave the way for new stock... :D

SNAYSON
06-27-2002, 11:12 AM
i don't think you did the wrong thing. You just stated a comment. the kid probaly forgot what you said already. Kids should be playing with there toys, not worrying about how much he can get if not opened.

anyway, that is old stuff out of the store. MAKE ROOM FOR THE NEW STUFF!

figrin bran
06-27-2002, 11:18 AM
well if only someone had told me when i was little to buy an extra vintage boba fett and to not open it... ;)

DarthBrandon
06-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Don't worry about it. It's not like his mother is going to buy him toys to keep carded. Plus like SNAYSON said he probably forgot about it already.

OriginalBryGuy
06-27-2002, 12:49 PM
A kid that small probably isn't going to understand how much worth something has or doesn't have.

It would have probably been better to just let him take it. I can't imagine a little kids friend coming over to play Star Wars just to have the kid say..."Sorry, we can't play with that one, it'll be worth something someday" haha Not only would he probably not playing with figures, but he might keep everything he sees in the package.

Imagine that kids, kids fate. Damn it son, I told you not to take the car out! It's vintage!

I'm sure no damage was done. I don't think you were swindling him. He left with a Preview Jango Fett figure! He's happy whether he plays or doesn't play with it. Chances are he'll play with it and not think twice.

Kids would have to think collectors are nuts for not opening toys. I mean, really, who actually keeps their toys in boxes. hahaha.....oh wait..I guess I do.:cry:

-JediMaster-Yoda-
06-27-2002, 03:30 PM
This one kid had a yoda one time and asked me the same thing my opionion on the toy, i said i'am sorry i dont own a yoda yet and i also said it looked like a sweet figure from the pictures i have seen and the kid started making a face at me and sticking his tongue out at me saying hahahaha you cant find yoda i was so mad i was goanna steal the toy from him....

Jaina Solo
06-27-2002, 04:12 PM
I hope you're kidding, JediMaster Yoda. Thinking about stealing toys from kids...jeeze.

chubbychicken
06-28-2002, 02:35 AM
i think u did the rite thing haha u made a future collector haha

Jayspawn
06-28-2002, 02:55 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. IF he actually bought the figure and got it home. He'll probably damage the packaging and open it at some point.

thespar
06-28-2002, 12:18 PM
Do not sweat it. That is just one more figure at of the way to make room for the new ones.

JangoFart
06-28-2002, 01:58 PM
I am a proud Star Wars nerd. I have created three Star Wars nerds in my life. My 7 year old girl was watching the original Trilogy DAILY by the time she was almost 3. (And I mean all 3 each day.) At that age, you could show her ANY of the main figures and she could tell you their name and any of their kin - Luke is Leia's brother, etc.

She was 4 when TPM came out and her favorite character was "Darf Maul". During one viewing of it with her, after Maul guts Qui-Gon, she leans to me and says "Daddy, he didn't MEAN to do that!" I said, "Do what?" "Kill Qui-Gon," she replied. I said, "Honey, he rammed his lightsaber into his gut. He MEANT to do that!" "But, I LIKE DARF MAUL!" she screamed. I told her it was OK to like the bad guys too :)

The same with my 6 yr old son; although he was never into the original Trilogy as much as the girl.

Now, my 8 month old baby is saying "Yoda" about 1,000 times a day :) It was her 5th word. I play the AOTC Yoda commercial for her on my PC more times than I care to. But, that's about the only thing that will get her to stop saying "Yoda".

I have a fairly large collection of figures; of which 95% are still carded. I buy them for my kids to open and play with. However, my kids also ask for one to "keep in the box" and display in their rooms like mine are displayed in my home-office - which is called my "Nerd Nest" (TM) :)

I took my kids to see TPM EIGHT times - after the first 2 times, the additional times were at THEIR request, not mine :) I've taken them to see AOTC 4 times thus far and they are TRYING to get me to take them to see it again this weekend, instead of Lilo & Stitch.

The kid that you ran into was probably the kid of a Star Wars nerd. If he's anything like my kids, he had the inclination to collect as much as a baby bird has an inclination to raise its head and open its mouth to eat . Don't sweat it.

J

LTBasker
06-28-2002, 03:10 PM
The kid will either probably cave and open the 2nd Jango to open it play with Jango Fett clones, or he'll just toss it in his room and forget about it.

RAVAZ
06-28-2002, 03:15 PM
Man you really messed up! You could have got it for me! HAHA!! Just kiddin! Speaking of kids, he'll be alright. He'll have tons of SW toys tacked on his wall, but he'll be happy.

Darth Narcis
06-28-2002, 11:17 PM
stealing toys frm kids is ok, as long as you have a place to run.

Obi-Don
06-29-2002, 05:35 AM
He won't hold out. It will be opened and played with like it was meant to be. Then somewhere down the line he will remember how much fun he had with his toys and boom, a new collector will be born.