PDA

View Full Version : What is the worst thing you ever did to a vintage figure?

ThomasLane
10-02-2001, 12:29 AM
I ran over figures with a lawn mower because I wanted "dead" guys. Blue Snaggletooth was one of those figures :( . I also barbequed a stormtrooper. I also convinced my best friend to open his mint carded 12-backs (he was saving them because he thought they would be worth something some day) so we could line them up and hurl rocks at them.

Those were some of the best days of my life :)

GNT
10-02-2001, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by ThomasLane
I also convinced my best friend to open his mint carded 12-backs (he was saving them because he thought they would be worth something some day) so we could line them up and hurl rocks at them.

I bet he regrets that :) thats tough!

Pellaeon
10-02-2001, 11:15 AM
I dropped rocks on them from a large tree in the back yard. My Hoth Leia now has some "dents" in her face, my Yoda's left leg is splinted to the right with a rubber band, and my Hoth Soldier had to be glued at the pelvis. All my others pretty much survived the ordeal.

Lobito
10-02-2001, 04:17 PM
Hmmm...i threw R2-D2 (normal version) from a third floor...result: Nothing!!! Just a scratch, but it didnt break!!:D

Fulit
10-02-2001, 04:53 PM
Ahh, action figure torture, one of my favorite memories. I put drill holes through, bit hands off of, tore limbs from, melted with magnifying glasses, tied firecrackers to, and dropped off of roofs more vintage Star Wars and G.I. Joe figures than I care to number now. My old Lobot's face was rubbed on concrete, giving him a very disfigured appearance, that's the one that bothers me most now, cause he's one of the few I have left. Oh, and I remember biting the hand off of vintage Jedi Knight Luke because I wanted his hand to come off like when Vader cut it off. Wait, I think I did that last week.

stillakid
10-06-2001, 01:10 AM
Unfortunately, the worst I ever did to vintage figures was ignore them, especially the coined ones. Sigh.

Rollo Tomassi
10-06-2001, 09:25 AM
Wasn't there a thread like this in the old forums?

I smashed Yoda into tiny pieces with a hammer because his little hunchback annoyed me.

I cut off Bespin Leia's hands and feet, and nose with a pair of toenail clippers.

I popped apart my B-Wing Pilot and My Rebel Endor trooper and rearranged their limbs. Then I smashed the Endor trooper's torso and then retaped him with packing tape (eventually I lost all his pieces).

I left Boba Fett in a standing lamp and turned it on and melted his legs into a sticky goo on the lightbulb.

DeathStar Trooper, Imperial Commander, Bespin Luke, Boskk, IG-88 and Classic Luke all lost heads or limbs through normal "rough play".

Just about all my figures have that yellow "played in the bathtub" discoloration on them. Especially Snowtrooper.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2001, 11:52 AM
I didn't do too many "worst" things to my figures, but I figure (pun always intended!) burying them in sand or water, as well as in the bathtub, wasn't great for their condition. Drawing holsters and blast marks, as well as my initials on the feet (on the thighs for those figures like Walrus Man with black boots) was a tad destructive, I suppose.

bigbarada
10-11-2001, 11:45 PM
I fed Paploo to my dog, who happily chewed the poor little guy's legs off.

I smashed Threepio to bits with a rock.

Plus, I would always take Artoo into the bathtub with me, totally oblivious to the fact that his body detail was a paper sticker and his whole body was held together by a less than rustproof screw.

For the most part, I took good care of my figures since I didn't really have too many of them.

GNT
10-12-2001, 10:46 PM
I once burnt a Darth Vader figure,I had about 5 of them anyway so I wasn't that worried at all,he went up in flames :(

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2001, 06:03 PM
Rollo T., yes there was a thread like this in the Old Forums. And you started it! http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=15&PID=4163
It's kinda long; 43 replies.

GNT
10-15-2001, 02:46 AM
Boy you like to go back into the old forums and find those old threads,geez :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2001, 07:05 PM
GNT, I'm like Jira, or whoever is the starwars.com "Jedi Historian" character. I like digging for treasure.

"It belongs in a museum!" - Dr. Jones

JediCole
10-17-2001, 05:03 PM
I've mentioned before that my mom had the incredible foresight to recognize that Star Wars was going to outlive us all (j/k). But I do credit her in large part with the complexity of my collection. I credit myself with the fact that it is one of my primary persuits to this day.
Anyway, this is not to say that the toys did not see some action. I did have to replace the odd figure every now and then (one of the great strengths of the vintage line is that you COULD replace them because you could still buy a "Star Wars" Leia (when your old one's head fell off, as was the most common routine breakage) well into the "Empire" carded figure line. Most of the figures prior to Jedi got to enjoy some swimming in the summer time and all were well played with, almost to the last ones to be released. But at the end of the day they all went back to the carrying cases or on the shelves for display. It helps that I was 12 when I got the Early Bird Four and was in college by the end of the POTF line.
The worst thing I've ever done with the vintage figures is to let them be part of our ocassional "Action Figure Theatre", a kind of "Who's Line is it Anyway" improv thing we video tape with friends whenever we have a get together, except all you see on the tape is the "actors" hands and the figures they've selected for their sketches.

ThomasLane
10-24-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
The worst thing I've ever done with the vintage figures is to let them be part of our ocassional "Action Figure Theatre", a kind of "Who's Line is it Anyway" improv thing we video tape with friends whenever we have a get together, except all you see on the tape is the "actors" hands and the figures they've selected for their sketches.

I'd like to see that. You should digitize it and stick it on the Internet somewhere - "Jedi Cole's Star Wars Comedy Theatre".

Obi-Don
10-28-2001, 07:02 AM
The worst thing I did was to leave them at home when I went into the Army.They were sold in a yard sell. A YARD SELL! Oh what a sad day that was.:( Thanks Mom.

Tarkin the otter
11-04-2001, 02:43 PM
I tied my vinyl caped jawa to a firework & gleefully watched that sucker explode. 21 years later I still cry about it.

GNT
11-05-2001, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Tarkin the otter
I tied my vinyl caped jawa to a firework & gleefully watched that sucker explode. 21 years later I still cry about it.

thats a very cruel thing to do to a figure ;)

JEDIpartner
11-30-2001, 11:28 AM
The worst thing I ever did to a vintage STARWARS figure was...

not purchase it! :cry:

Sith Worm
12-04-2001, 09:26 PM
I onced burried them in my grandparents drive way and couldn't find half of them after I tried to dig them up!

GNT
12-05-2001, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
I onced burried them in my grandparents drive way and couldn't find half of them after I tried to dig them up!

You should get a figure detector so you'll find them easily ;)

stillakid
12-05-2001, 10:26 AM
Try new Midichlorian wafers from Jed-isco. Improves your Force performance when taken with a complete breakfast.

Now, with new sugar coating!

bigbarada
12-05-2001, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Try new Midichlorian wafers from Jed-isco. Improves your Force performance when taken with a complete breakfast.

Now, with new sugar coating!

Dude! I'm beginning to think that you're just totally obsessed with midichlorians. They're not going to go away, so try to get over it.

stillakid
12-05-2001, 04:39 PM
:happy: I didn't invent them. GL says that they're here so I figure we might as well enjoy them!:happy:

Did I mention that they're nutritious too!

bigbarada
12-05-2001, 05:13 PM
Have you tried the new apple-cinnamon flavor? They're scrum-diddl-ee-umpscious!:D

stillakid
12-05-2001, 08:38 PM
If you put them in the ice-trays and cover with plastic wrap, you can poke sticks in there and make Midi-Pops. Battle enemies with new Force power AND get a refreshing snack at the same time. What a bargain!:rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-06-2001, 08:28 PM
As Little Red Leader once kinda said: "Stay on topic. Stay on topic." :frus: (That Bel-Cam is so unfair!)

stillakid
12-06-2001, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
As Little Red Leader once kinda said: "Stay on topic. Stay on topic." :frus: (That Bel-Cam is so unfair!)

I once put my figures in an ice-tray, put plastic wrap.....;)

Rollo Tomassi
12-10-2001, 10:30 AM
Brilliant improv by JediCole

For one of his classes, a friend of mine and I made a short action figure film called "Doug's Bar and Grill" where all the SW figure were hanging out in this restaurant. Lando was pimpin' Colt .45 The Modal Nodes were checking Leia out. The royal guards were griping about their hot robes all day. And a talking Dewback introduced the whole thing... It was pretty funny, escpecially the outtakes since the whole thing was improvised during shooting.

jedi master sal
12-10-2001, 10:46 AM
I melted the upper arm off a snowtrooper and fuse the barrel portionof his rifle to his arm to give him the cybernetice implant feel.

Jargo
12-25-2001, 02:33 PM
I won't repeat what a monster I was to my toys as a child but instead say that this reminded me of a friend I had, who owned all of everything star wars because his dad was rich and neglectful.....
Anyway, his favorite pastime was taking his millenium falcon to the attic and loading it with figures then launching the falcon to see if it survived tha crash landing. Apparently Kenner did a good job with their sturdy build and it lasted several such missions into the unknown. As to the fate of the figures, I managed to 'liberate' several after I borrowed some for an art project. I don't think my friend noticed to be honest because by that time he'd moved onto musical theater and show tune extravaganzas..... :rolleyes:

I did however cannibalise an AT-ST round about then to make a new super-vehicle. I must have been insane as it was the pride of my collection. The only figure I have now that didn't get a pasting is the B-wing pilot. How he survived unscathed I'll never know. :stupid:

jedi-cpa
01-10-2002, 11:08 AM
hover craft filled it with McKesson rubbing alcohol and M-80s and threw a match at it. The rock in the back hard is still stained with the remains of the 80's toys.

Darth Vellner
01-10-2002, 10:24 PM
i would put han{bespin} in a cup of water and freeze him....and
when i thought i was getting to old for toys i threw 3 or 4 figs. in my hampster cage for them to chew on ...but pulled them out later the same day...i still have those chewed up plastic casulties..:cool:

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Opened them and paled with them.:cry:

Think of the money I could have had.:greedy: :cry:

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Sorry... meant played.

Emperor Howdy
01-28-2002, 11:48 PM
I took Vader, a few stormtroopers, and a bunch of snowtroopers....lined them up in my Imperial Hoth Attack Base (or whatever it was called)...grabbed a lighter and a can of hairspray...and torched all of them. I did the same thing with my Landspeeder, while Obi-wan and Lobot sat inside. I also covered my Han's upper torso with white clay to get that Bespin jacket effect. Finally, I remember cutting off the eye of my Death Star garbage creature so it would easily fall off when struck with a lightsaber. Arrrrgh.....d.a.m.n. kids!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-29-2002, 11:40 AM
It wasn't a "worst" thing, but Emperor Howdy's post reminded me. I put correction fluid on my Bespin Han to give him the just-before-carbonite look, but it made his arms stuck, so I had to chip away at it just for the arms to move.

hamsterboy
01-30-2002, 01:41 AM
Okay,technically I didn't do the deed my friend did. It was my figure however. He took my a candle to the arm of my Boba Fett,trying to recreate the picture on the package.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-30-2002, 11:34 AM
We might need a separate thread for "worst things done to SW toys with fire!" :evil: The only toys I ever used fire with were three:

early 1980s model of a Ford Mustang with several 4th of July fireworks attached

He-Man figure with several 4th of July fireworks attached ;)

die cast 18-wheeler truck with "bullet holes" (magnifying glass in sun burning tiny holes into trailer)

I kept Star Wars outta the fire! :crazed:

LusiferSam
02-04-2002, 11:50 PM
The worst thing I did was bury 5 of them in backyard for the weekend. All but the Emperor and 8D8 washed up.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-05-2002, 02:24 AM
Fortunately, I was good to all of mine and still have every single one of them. Sorry, I guess that's because I have estrogen instead of testosterone :) hehe

:kiss:

Casual George
02-28-2002, 03:33 PM
I froze a stormtrooper in a cup of water from time to time. Other than that I took good care of my figures. I still have all of the original line in my Darth Vader case.:D