PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the video game systems, yet again...

Starfig873
10-02-2001, 06:39 AM
Well Playstation 2 has come and made whatever impact it was going to make.

Now we have XBox and Gamecube coming out. Personally I think Gamecube will be a nice system. Everything about it is small, so it won't take up much space.

XBox, I'm curious to play it for sure.

I remember back when it was Sega vs. Nintendo *sigh* back in the day...
What do you guys think about this "mess"? ;)

ThomasLane
10-02-2001, 07:53 AM
What mess? A little bit of competition is a good thing, though I'm no fan of Microsoft and their business practices. Now Playstation 2 is going to drop to a more reasonable price. We'll see if the Xbox will live up to its hype, but I bet it will drop significantly in price over the next 6 months.

As for me, my kids still have not mastered the controls on our Nintendo 64, so I don't plan on buying a new system any time soon, but if I ever need a 2nd DVD player...

bigbarada
10-02-2001, 08:23 AM
I'm planning on buying a Gamecube for one reason and one reason only: Legend of Zelda!

The other systems can go rot on the shelves for all I care.

JediTricks
10-02-2001, 09:54 AM
Gamecube impresses me WAAAAY more than Xbox or PS2, and some games interlink with the Gameboy Advance which sounds really cool. I am tempted by Xbox because of what it's rumored to be able to do and who's onboard, but I'm not a fan of Microsoft and it apparently no longer plays PC games, so I'm not totally sure I'd be willing to get this one.

ThomasLane
10-02-2001, 10:10 AM
Are any of these systems going to put out a HDTV signal? Does PS2 already do it? Is the Gamecube going to be able to play DVDs?

Starfig873
10-02-2001, 11:24 AM
The real Gamecube will not have DVD technology. The disks it uses are much too small anyway.

But I read in a gaming magazine that Panasonic will release a Gamecube with a DVD player.

My personal opinion. XBox is going to suck. That won't keep me from trying it out though. But I'm all for Gamecube. Nintendo, although they do "kid" games, I find them most enjoyable. Most have vibrant colors and nice puzzles.

Besides, I also heard that all the Resident Evil games will be redone and put out on Gamecube. Weeee :D

Lobito
10-02-2001, 01:03 PM
I remember the system wars... (8-bit) Sega Master System vs. NES, (16 bit) Sega Genesis vs. Super NES, (and Turbografx 16 too) in those days there was a system far superior than the mentioned above...it was the SNK Neo Geo, but the price on this system was also his doom.

Now we have PS2, and Game cube and XBOX are coming out, it will be the same again, the XBOX is waaay better than the PS2 or GC, but the price is not going to help them, it will be interesting to see the third party companies that will support this system though.

Me...im buying the Gamecube!!! :cool:

Fulit
10-02-2001, 02:58 PM
I've always been partial to Nintendo, so it's Gamecube for me. Plus, bigbarada said it all, Legend of Zelda!

master jedi
10-02-2001, 04:23 PM
XBox is going to suck because it's put out by Microsoft.
The Gamecube is gonna rock!!!!
If XBox does as well as, nearly as good as, or even better than the Game Cube I will personally hunt down and destroy Bill Gates.

JediTricks
10-03-2001, 06:29 AM
Hey Lobito, I still have my Neo Geo (the original-release one with the arcade sticks), IMO, it's the best non-polygon-based home console system out there. I got a job at the local video store as a teenager, and my first 2 paychecks (plus my employee discount ;)), paid for this awesome deck. Back then, I had ALL the systems, but consoles don't do it for me these days in the same way.

Rollo Tomassi
10-03-2001, 07:29 AM
Wow! I am suprised to see all these Nintendo fans. I guess I can safely come out of the closet and say I'm definitely getting a Gamecube!! Zelda, Rogue Squadron, and finally...a kickbutt Metroid game!! Whoohoo!!

I can't realy say I'm a fan of Playstation (and therefore PS2) My ex-roommate had a PS1 and I had a 64 so we'd play each others sysytems. i can tell you we played a lot more Goldeneye than we did Playstation. The only games I liked on PS1 were Masters of the TERAS KASI and Metal gear Solid. I abhorred the Resident Evil games with their constantly shifting perspective shots...gads that got annoying fast...

Speaking of metal Gear Solid, i would like to see that kind of engine applied to a Death Star Escape-esque Star Wars game. That would be killer!!!

bigbarada
10-03-2001, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by ThomasLane
Are any of these systems going to put out a HDTV signal? Does PS2 already do it? Is the Gamecube going to be able to play DVDs?

I think the DVD playback feature is a somewhat overhyped gimmick. Nintendo cut back the price of their new system by $100 by making it a pure game system. If you really want a DVD player you can easily get a good one for well under the $300 PS2 pricetag. For people who already own DVD players, it's a useless extra that they get charged more for. I say make a video game system to play video games and don't worry about the unnecessary stuff. Like that old saying, "Do one thing, but do it better than anyone else." Sony and Microsoft are taking the "try to please everybody" route and it'll hurt them in the long run.

I applaud Nintendo for remaining focused on what they do best.

Lobito
10-03-2001, 12:54 PM
And what they do best is ZELDA games!!! Unfortunately i only played the N64 versions (Ocarina of time and Majoras Mask) both games were beautifully done...although i liked best Ocarina of time. I only played those Zelda games cuzz back in the 90's i had SEGA stuff, those games were also very very cool, (Phantasy Star, Sonic, etc) If u are into those kind of games u can also check out The Two Banjo Games and Super Mario Bros for the N64.

:cool: :D

bigbarada
10-03-2001, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
back in the 90's i had SEGA stuff, those games were also very very cool, (Phantasy Star, Sonic, etc) If u are into those kind of games u can also check out The Two Banjo Games and Super Mario Bros for the N64.

Well, good news then, Lobito! Sonic and Phantasy Star will both be debuting on Nintendo's Gamecube! So now you can have the best of both worlds. (The video game market has become a very interesting place within the past few years)

Banjo-Kazooie and Mario64 were also two excellent games!

preacher
10-03-2001, 02:26 PM
Where nintendo has a definite advantage is that they have always marketed to children. I can still remember the very first Legend of Zelda commercial, where some guy at the end of the commercial ends up in a straight jacket from being totally emersed in the world of Hyrule. Sega had one franchise character that I can think of. Sonic. I can't even think of one franchise character Sony has. Nintendo makes a character and does not let any of its competition get its mits on it. So as I get older I look forward to seeing how my old friends Mario, Link, Pit (Kid Icarus where are you?), Samus, and Kong will all translate as the systems evolve. Nintendo has a vision that stretched past 20 years, and they experiment with different gadgets. Even though the virtual boy was not the best it still demonstrated to me that Nintendo has imagination. The other video game companies follow Nintendo's lead. Not to say that there have been a number of lemons by Nintendo. Superman had to be worst game I've ever played. Bio Freaks was horrible. When it comes to their franchise characters though Nintendo makes certain that all players leave the game thinking "Oh man that was a good game." Starfox, Mario, Zelda, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong, Banjo, all were excellent (IMHO of course).

Now granted every once in awhile Sony comes out with a game that blows me away. Final Fantasy VII, and Metal Gear Solid to name a couple. Devil may cry looks promising and will certainly get sons of liberty.

Aside from Oddworld: Munch's Oddysey there aren't any games that X-Box has shared that has aroused my curiousity. There are only so many sports games a guy can handle.

Rollo Tomassi
10-03-2001, 03:44 PM
I forgot about Oddworld, the opening animation had me rolling.

"Paramite pies, and Meech Munchems...and we make some pretty good scrabcakes, too..." I used to walk around quoting that ALL the time...

Too bad the side scrolling on the actual game sucked...

preacher
10-03-2001, 05:13 PM
Oddworld impressed me a lot. It had difficult puzzles and the "speech" feature was pretty clever. I enjoyed the follow up (also on the playstation) more though. It took the speech feature and enhanced it totally.

The X-Box's munch's oddysey is supposedly 3-d. I wish it would be released on other consoles too though. I'm gonna miss out cause as of now I'm not that interested in the X-Box. Not in the face of Metroid Prime next year.

JediTricks
10-04-2001, 07:28 AM
A new Sonic and a new Metroid will also be coming to the GameBoyAdvance, I cannot wait! I hope the upcoming Sonic game on GC will somehow interact with the GBA when docked with the GC.

master jedi
10-04-2001, 12:04 PM
Do they have any Star Wars games planned for the Game Cube?
I don't remember hearing about any.

Lobito
10-04-2001, 12:10 PM
I believe they will have EPII games for the Game Cube, and i think there will be Rougue Squadron II also. Hmmm...i heard that somewhere...maybe in the Videogames section of this forums?? I'll check it out, cuzz i asked the same question.

master jedi
10-04-2001, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
I believe they will have EPII games for the Game Cube, and i think there will be Rougue Squadron II also. Hmmm...i heard that somewhere...maybe in the Videogames section of this forums?? I'll check it out, cuzz i asked the same question.

Yeah, I just read that those games are coming out on GameCube on theforce.net

Starfig873
10-04-2001, 04:57 PM
Rogue Squadron II is indeed coming out for Gamecube, and I must say it looks to be the best Star Wars game yet! WEE! We actually get to fly a B-Wing in this one!

The graphics are visually stunning too. Very clean, very nice. :)

preacher
10-04-2001, 05:13 PM
Are you serious JT? There is a sonic game coming to the gamecube? Oh man that is precious. Nintendo uses Sega's franchise character. The war between Mario and Sonic is at long last ended and the plumber comes out ahead. Woohoo!

Thought I would also mention another difference in marketing between Microsoft and Nintendo. I went to Toys R Us today and they have a huge demonstration booth that is being setup for the gamecube. Its in the front of the store. Contrast that with Microsoft who has their advertisement for the X Box strategically placed near the back of the store where all the other video games are. Their "booth" occupies about 1/5 of an aisle. If this a trend with X-Box as far as the effort they put in marketing then Microsoft is in trouble. Nintendo has always thrown out the stops when it comes to making a new system known to everyone. I could be wrong though. At any rate it will be interesting to see which one comes out on top. My money is on Nintendo.

JediTricks
10-05-2001, 11:32 AM
Preacher, Sonic is confirmed for the Game Boy Advance for sometime in the next 2 months. Dunno about when the GC one is coming though. I think Nintendo didn't win the war, rather Sega lost it on their own. But once Sega figured out that they could never dominate the hardware market and dropped out of it, I think they set the playing field up for a true domination of the console software market.

I think Microsoft's system will ultimately cave to the Gamecube for the simple reason that so many folks know about MS's failings.

JohnJohn2001
10-10-2001, 02:00 PM
no point in replying with an intelligent post here when all of you are already brainwashed here...

Its the same old "Xbox will fail because microsoft made it" speech.

Personally, i have been following xbox from 1998. And you know what caught my eye back then about this console? the name of Microsoft. You all say bad stuff about microsoft, but can you imagine the world we would live in today if they never existed?

Microsoft made millions and millions of jobs world wide thanks to their technologies. Remember back when windows 95 came out? It was the start of the computer craze. Everyone went out and bought computers with windows 95.

With windows 95, it made connecting to the internet extremely simple, and microsoft shaped up the internet to what it is today, a non government regulated frontier, like it was originally supposed to be.

Then with everyone going out buying computers, and everyone hooking up to the internet as well, they created many new markets. They made AOL what they are today, sad but true. And they got people making so many computer products for computers, and e-buisness was underway.

Because of microsoft, we had the stong economy during the 90's, not because of Clinton like most people claim to give credit to him.

And i grew up respecting microsoft, what they have done for this world, and the world we live in today, and thats why the name of Microsoft on the Xbox gives me a lot of faith into this system, because microsoft is not stupid, and they know what they are doing.

Not only that, but Xbox is the most powerful system ever made to date, its easy to program for with the help of directx; so maximum resources can be used while playing the games; its broadband only which i really suppoer as a good idea because it will help push the importance of broadband in america; It comes with a built in progressive scan dvd player; built in real time dolby digital 5.1 sound while playing the games; purposly and carefully built for HDTVs that support 480i and p, 720p and 1080i; comes with a large comfortable controller, meaning that you don't have to scrunch your fingers to get to the buttons on the controller; comes with a built in hard drive so you don't have limited space on memory cards, and faster acess times to games.

And if you seen any games for xbox yet, you really haven't seen anything yet. I am waiting for the 2nd or 3rd generation games to come out, that is when the developers and programmers get the feel of the xbox, and can program better games so they look 4times better than what we have ever seen on the xbox before.

Grif
10-10-2001, 03:21 PM
Nintendo and Atari still rock!!! All these other game systems are cool to but who can beat Astroids , the old Frogger, Super Mario 3, and MC Kids?

Lobito
10-10-2001, 03:27 PM
Of course microsoft is not stupid, but the fact here is to see the third party companies that will support this super system. Plus...look at the price of the xbox and compare it to the other systems...read what we said b4...we said xbox was technically better than any system, but has just too many things against it. For ME, the winner would be anyone but the xbox, and as i said b4...im staying with the GC.:cool:

Rollo Tomassi
10-10-2001, 03:53 PM
All this talk of 2nd and 3rd generation games....why should we have to wait. The GameCube games look awesome! By that rational, all the GC 2nd and 3rd generation games will be even better.

Personally, I don't look at brandnames like Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo. I look at the product and the games they release with it. So far, Nintendo has the competition whipped.

bigbarada
10-10-2001, 10:22 PM
I've seen the X-Box games thus far and all I can say is....boooring! They look like nothing more than souped up PC games. Sure the graphics are amazing, but if the gameplay is mediocre then so what? I have the same complaints with the PS2. Nintendo is not obsessed with making the best graphics out there, they are just focusing on what they do best. Making fun and enjoyable games.

I haven't really seen anything that tells me that PS2 and X-Box are trying out new genres of games, but just take one look at Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin and you can see that Nintendo is still open to new ideas.

Starfig873
10-11-2001, 11:37 AM
Microsoft is a "great" company, no doubt about it. But ever since I heard they were going to create a game system I was stupified. Microsoft should stay out of game systems. Thats just my opinion. I thought the same way with Dreamcast, Sega is a great company and they make killer arcades and they've made awesome games. But I just felt they should have stayed away from making another system.

preacher
10-11-2001, 01:14 PM
I for one am not a fanboy, and for many years now I have given Microsoft the benefit of the doubt. I acknowledge that on paper the X-Box's stats looks very impressive. However, specifications for any product, from video game systems to kitchen blenders can be written to seem much more impressive than what they actually are. Speaking from experience, as a CCTV engineer I am often stupified at some of the seemingly excellent camera products that are available. Often my reactions to amazing technology is knee-jerk, but once I actually sit down and start comparing apples to apples I am amazed how benchmarks for performance tests are actually conducted. Marketers are extremely sneaky. You give me any specification that makes any device look rock-solid and I assure you I can write another version to make the devices performance seem absolutely horrible. So what one needs to ask themselves, is what conditions Microsoft used to conduct performance tests?

There is no question that Microsoft has dominated the computer software industry. Otherwise they wouldn't have been the scapegoats of the most recent anti-trust hooey. I do believe that Microsoft is extremely corrupt, but not for the reasons the attorney general argued. Microsoft's genius lies in the fact that it concentrated on standardizing first, the performance of Windows 95 to put it bluntly sucks rear-end. The really scarey thing is that Microsoft is attempted to position itself as the end-all be all of interfacing with everything in your house. Don't believe me? Then go to a couple of seminars held by Intellution, and Siemens and listen to how these companies have exclusive deals with Microsoft to produce software (labeled Soft Logic) that is capable of running pumps in a waste treatment plant, or integrating with your household electronics. I don't know about you guys but it worries the crud out of me to think Microsoft's software will be able to turn on my boiler in the future, especially when I've lost count of the amount of times I've had the blue-screen of death pop up.

Many do not realize this, but Microsofts money earner is its database packages (SQL and Access the forerunners). What I find most outrageous is that the SQL documentation is written so poorly that in order to figure out some basic functionality you have to either a) go to a Microsoft sponsored seminar to learn what to do, or b) call up Microsoft, and for a $250 consultation have a programmer walk you through things. There was one occasion my previous employer gave me permission to call Microsoft to figure out what we were doing wrong, only to discover it was a bug in their realease of SQL. But do you think they did not still charge our company $250? In order to fix the problem we had to buy an upgrade at a "reduced price". That is my biggest complaint is the quality control Microsoft implements. In my experience it is almost non-existance. To be assured you get quality product you have to pay more money than you really should. I realize that there are programmers on this forum that would interject that debugging is an ongoing thing. This is true, but Microsoft support stinks. Their strategy is to flood the market with crap to get it out and then fix things after most people are using it. But they won't fix it unless people cough up more money.

I can count on one hand the number of games I've seen that Microsoft makes for the PC that I've actually thought were good. Starlancer is one, and Asheron's Call is another. They have never made a hardware system (to my knowledge) until now. Their expertise is in tayloring existing technology into a standarized system, not making new technology. Personally, I think Microsoft's ego has ran away with them. If the X-Box comes out on top it will be because of the resources it can tap to drown us in X-Box products. Not because of what is on the specification.