PDA

View Full Version : SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Quarterfinals - Fight 6!!!

Tycho
06-28-2002, 06:26 AM
With the resolution of the Death Match between the Skiff, ATST, and Droid Tank, we're moving well past our half-way point for the Quaterfinals in SSG's Battle of the Machines!

Tonight's is a light-weight match between two hardened contestants.

The Aratech 74-Z Military Speeder Bike was featured in Return of the Jedi. This vehicle has been packed with every known movie pilot which today includes its standard pilot, the Imperial Scout Trooper, as well as Princess Leia of the Rebel Alliance (shown), Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, and Ewok Scout Paploo (most recently released). All of the pack-in figures are available in other venues (save for Paploo) be it a carded figure, or a Millennium Minted Coin box figure. Meanwhile, the speeder bike features a pivoting blaster cannon, braking flaps that operate remotely when the foot pedals are moved, and an explosive battle damage feature that causes the craft to blow apart when the camouflage jacket is pressed down on the rear of the craft.
The Speederbike defeated the Swoopbike 82-23 carrying 78% of the vote to its victory.

It now faces The Single Trooper Ariel Platform or STAP that sits on a clear plastic stand to simulate flight. The stand also activates a remote control that can move the pack-in Battle Droid into action, and fire the crafts twin laser cannons. They simulate fire with two launching projectiles that can easily knock over most action figures - even the ones with lightsabers, if the Force is not with them! The STAP was first offered as a Special Sneak Preview figure for The Phantom Menace, and was later released in Episode One Packaging. To date there have been at least 11 versions of some kind of battledroid. The STAP's pack-in may have been slightly longer legged and loser jointed. The STAP defeated Darth Maul's Sith Speeder 51-32 with almost a halfpoint over 61% of the vote.

Which vehicle should go on to rank amongst Hasbro's best ships and crafts for the modern era?

You decide now! Then let's talk about your choice.

Adam
06-28-2002, 07:03 AM
I have to go with the Speeder Bike. I just like the way it looks. While the STAP does look cool, it needs that stand to uh, stand, without hand support.

Rogue II
06-28-2002, 07:43 AM
This is a funny match up, just recently I saw the several Preview STAP and the Speederbike with Leia still sitting on the shelves at an Ames store.

I'm going with the Speeder bike as well. I wasn't too crazy about the STAP.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
06-28-2002, 08:33 AM
i dont know why but i liked the stap more....

jedi master sal
06-28-2002, 09:08 AM
While the overall design of the S.T.A.P. is a cool concept I would find it very difficult to work in reality. As the toy it needs the "clear" stand.

Now my only major complaint with the speeder bike is the when setting down on a surface the flaps on the back tend to snap off from the attachment pegs and you have to reset them. Not as aerodynamic as the S.T.A.P. but this could work in reality. Make my the speederbike.

Eternal Padawan
06-28-2002, 10:08 AM
The problem with the Speederbikes was that no figures accurately interacted with them. Either they sat on it like the vintage figures, or they had cramps like the POTF2 versions. But the Speederbike itself (aside from size issues and giant "legs") has always been a cool, nicely priced vehicle. Speederbike wins the day.

stillakid
06-28-2002, 10:34 AM
While I like the Speedbike sequence in the film, the toy was lacking. Not only flimsy in construction, it frequently breaks apart without too much effort and can be difficult to reassemble, especially for a little kid. Also, it is very difficult to get an action figure to stay on-board for any in-flight fun.

The STAP is also a cool looking ship, although I didn't enjoy the sequence in EP I as much as the ROTJ speederbike scene. But the films have nothing to do with rating the toys themselves...or shouldn't. The STAP is much more durable as a toy AND it shoots missiles, which is what kids love to do most. Getting a figure on to the STAP can be a difficult process, but once he's there, he pretty much stays put.

As a TOY, in a TOY contest, the STAP wins hands down.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
The STAP is also a cool looking ship, although I didn't enjoy the sequence in EP I as much as the ROTJ speederbike scene. But the films have nothing to do with rating the toys themselves...or shouldn't. The STAP is much more durable as a toy AND it shoots missiles, which is what kids love to do most. Getting a figure on to the STAP can be a difficult process, but once he's there, he pretty much stays put.

As a TOY, in a TOY contest, the STAP wins hands down.

stillakid nailed this one right on. Rating the toys themselves I like the STAP much better (actually, I also liked it better in the movie too--wish it had more screen time). It has a novel sculpt plus the remote launching missiles. The speeder bikes are nice but are kind of flimsy.

I go with the underdog on this one.

(I wonder if the Concept Stormie would fit on one...)

Tycho
06-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Stillakid said it best. I'm with the STAP too (and voting early in this one.)

It's clearly the underdog right now, which has nothing to do with how I vote, but I usually don't post my votes too early in the game so I'm not influencing these matches in anyway.

Just if you're curious, in the Quarterfinals so far:

I voted for the X-wing (lost to the Interceptor)
I voted for the N-1 (won over Sebulba)
I voted *cringe* for the AT-AT (won over the Falcon)
I voted for Zam's Speeder (lost to Luke's Landspeeder)
I voted for the ATST (beat both the skiff and Federation Tank)

Not voting for the Falcon was the toughest thing for me. I may go post again in that thread, having a guilty conscience about it...:rolleyes:

In general, I like firing missles! or otherwise cool action features like Zam's crash 'n bash. Electronics rule over vehicles without cool sound effects, or even better- flashing laser lights. With the ATST, it was the unique stomping feature that no other vehicle really has (via remote control).

But again, the STAP can attack and knock over figures with its missles. The speederbike blows up with your favorite character at its controls (except Paploo's, which of all of them we never *saw* blow up anyway). While that is a cool and movie-accurate action figure, I like something a little bit more on the offensive!

El Chuxter
06-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Tycho, are you sure that the Paploo speeder bike has the damage feature? I recently moved and tried to disassemble it for transport--if it's got the explosion feature like the others, mine is hopelessly broken.

Either way, as a toy, the STAP is a billion times better. :D

bigbarada
06-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Remembering that this is a poll for which vehicles are our favorites, not which are the best. I've enjoyed playing with the Speeder Bike toy for almost 16 years, the STAP held my attention for all of 45 minutes.

So, while the STAP has all the features to make it a winner, I was just never too thrilled with the overall design of the vehicle and was never too enthused about the toy. Thus I pick the Speeder Bike.

Tycho
06-28-2002, 03:12 PM
Sorry, if I wasn't clear. I've heard that Paploo's bike DOES NOT have the crash feature. I just noted you didn't see it crash (and that could be why - though it's likely because Hasbro saved money on a spring).

I don't actually have the ATST / speederbike exclusive. I turned it down as I don't need any more of those vehicles. The Paploo was tempting, but I'd rather see him carded still.

JediTricks
06-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Paploo's bike does not have the crash feature, though I believe it may have some of the components for it (I think the latch is fused to the forward upper section, keeping it in place instead of springing out).

This was a difficult decision for me as I am fond of both vehicles and yet both have some noticable flaws. Both vehicles have a little trouble standing on their own, both are limited to the pack-in figures they came with, and both have handlebar problems. However, both have nice designs and acceptable play features, both have nice paint jobs and are fairly screen-accurate, both even came in at an acceptable price point.

Basically, what it came down to is that the action gimmick on the Speederbike doesn't overwhelm the vehicle, while the action gimmick on the STAP causes the top section to be larger than it should be. I'm also not a fan of spring-loaded missiles, especially on a vehicle that never FIRED any missiles, so the STAP didn't get my vote.

The speederbike may have been a 12-year-old toy design when it joined the POTF2 line, but it still had a lot of charm - I still enjoy its "floating" gimmick, a creative use of the legs.

NRPeace
06-28-2002, 05:14 PM
Every time I use the STAP's action feature, it looks like the droid is getting it on with the ship. I chose the speeder bike over the "Power-humping" feature on the STAP.

NiktosRule
06-28-2002, 09:36 PM
The STAP is a much better toy and therefore gets my vote. Too bad it is getting beaten pretty bad. I always seem to vote for the loser.

Hellboy
06-29-2002, 03:18 PM
This is a tough one because I'm not real big on either of these vehicles.

The Speeder Bike is a cool vehicle but it's a bit fragile and I don't like the way the figures fit on it. I do however like the springy legs and the overall look but it's not a very sturdy playable toy.

The Stap is a more solid toy fitting a battle droid with little trouble and the fact that it needs a stand to sit upright is not IMO a negative thing since these vehicles don't actually land in the movie.

If I was picking my favorite vehicle from the movies I'd pick the Speeder Bike but my vote for the best toy goes to the Stap.

Darth Tornado
06-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Although the STAP is prob more accurate than the speeder bike the speeder bike is still a classic toy and it gets my vote. For me the prequel toys will never hold a candle to the classic ones as nostalgia wins all the time.

LusiferSam
06-30-2002, 01:16 AM
I really like both toys a lot. The speeder bike has one the great designs from the vintage line. There is very little Hasbro could do to improve it. As a kid I love the damage feature. As for the STAP I just love the way it looks. It different most of the other vehicles. And I thought it was cool the way the battle droid leans forward to fire the missiles. So in the end I have to go with the STAP because of the figures. I was unimpressed by all the figures that come with a speeder bike (its sad, four out four suck).