PDA

View Full Version : what's your eBay name?

SWAFMAN
06-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Whenever possible, I want to avoid bidding against my MM forum co-regulars. If I had a one-stop place to verify who I may, or may not be bidding against, it would take the stress off me in not wanting to step on any friends' toes. Not to mention inadvertently costing someone money by bidding up their auction.

My eBay ID is:
jr44772@adelphia.net

(is also my email addy)

LTBasker
06-28-2002, 03:53 PM
Cool...

My eBay ID is Jedigreedo. :cool:

Jonna
06-28-2002, 03:57 PM
I am only rarely on e-bay. But I'm JonathenForest.

Sakay
06-28-2002, 05:23 PM
because I use most the vehicles I buy for customization, You will usually see me bidding on action fleet lots or loose ships under the ebay ID "bobtony" :Pirate:

So far so good none of my thread comrades are any of my nemesis, ebay snipers. Swafman good idea for a thread, I look out not to outbid you, and possibly we can talk about splitting lots in the future.

JediTricks
06-28-2002, 07:41 PM
Mine is so creative and secretive that you'd never guess it was me. :D "JediTricks"

I know VT's username, he's the "jerk" who outbid me at the last minute on my first auction for the Special Edition mini-MM 3pack. Literally, the last minute, and I was going to counterbid when friggin' ebay went down! :eek:

r2dee2
06-28-2002, 10:16 PM
I guess I'm not very creative, as I'm R2dee2 on ebay as well:p Just won Epic sets 1-3 in foreign box:happy:

Dark Knight
06-29-2002, 01:23 AM
I 'm just as creative my e-bay ID is Dark-Knight-of-the-Rose.

:D :evil:

good shot jansen
06-29-2002, 11:12 AM
good-shot-jansen:zzz:

vulcantouch
06-29-2002, 11:51 AM
well maybe if Someone wasn't trafficking in Secret 2nd identities at the time i mighta known to defer to him ;) don't forget, i offered to find you one after you told me :)

"I was going to counterbid when friggin' ebay went down"
-yeah, i hear that seems to happen a lot when i snipe :sur: spekin of:

"my nemesis, ebay snipers"
-personally i approve of the fine art of sniping, as it helps keep prices down :) my personal best: beating an opposing bidder by $.01 with 1 second to go; top That :evil: but it's been a while since i was ebay-active, it seems i scored most everything i'd want long timeago. i'm certainly a materialist & a new acquisition always gives a buzz but when there's a dry spell i'm content w/what i already got :)
hey, how come swaffy ain't "swaffy", or "swafman" if he insists? ;) surely it's not taken, and exposing your address publicly only attracts spam :o
vt (http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=vulcantouch)

SWAFMAN
06-29-2002, 12:17 PM
how come swaffy ain't "swaffy", or "swafman"...

Just lack of forethought, creativity & sophistication, I guess.
I was on eBay before I was on SSG, so when I setup my eBay account I just used my AOL email addy as my handle. Not long ago, I updated my eBay ID, but out of reflex just changed it to my current email addy.

I appreciate the responses so far.

Except for the times I know I won't be able to get to a PC at the end of an auction, I'm also an eBay sniper (hooray for cable modems!), so there's still the chance I'll butt heads w/ another sniper-foruMMer, but at least we're making some effort here to respect each other's needs (and $$).

Please continue to post eBay addys here & post your intent to bid on an item on the "mm eBay alert" thread.

haggie
06-29-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm haggie76. All these years I thought I was the only "haggie" but the internet showed me otherwise. Not only are there other people with the same nickname, there are actually people with the last name Haggie (in my case, Haggie is a nickname for my last name, Haggstrom).

Some jerk is hogging the name haggie on eBay even though he never uses it. He has one feedback in 4 years. I have over 360. GIVE ME THE EBAY ID YOU A******! I emailed him about it way back when but he refused to give it up. There should be a rule against eBay ID squatting. Fortunately I was able to grab the URL haggie.net before he could (haggie.com belongs to one of the world's largest steel companies).

I am also a sniper. It's the only way to be. I found that before I sniped, I would re-evaluate the amount I was willing to bid. At first I'd be willing to bid, say $5.00. Then if somebody outbid me I would change my mind and bid, say $10. This cycle would go on and on until I paid way more than I really wanted to. Now I snipe. Not only do I usually win what I bid on, but since I only bid one time I always bid exactly what I am willing to spend and I never second-guess it.

JediTricks
06-30-2002, 09:58 PM
VT, back when this happened (probably Dec '98 or early Jan '99) ebay didn't have an auction-outage extension policy, so it was super frustrating because that one was the best-kept one at the time. I ended up getting the set a few weeks later though.

IMO, sniping should be impossible on an auction site. When you put a bid in right before the end of a real auction, the auction extends to allow more bidders - so what ebay does by allowing sniping seems less like an auction and more like a pre-determined sales promotion. Also, these chump-change bids aren't often allowed in real auctions, there's usually a minimum bid increase.

I hardly ever snipe and I hardly ever even look back any more, after 3+ years using ebay, I've found that the only way to really use it right is to plug in the absolute maximum you'd be willing to spend anyway. It's not a sport to me, I just want to buy stuff.

sith_killer_99
07-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Ebay?!?!

Get a rope!

Darth Michael
07-03-2002, 05:47 PM
I'm a long time reader and a first time poster.

Every now and then I go for additional MM vehicles on eBay. You folks seem like a good bunch of MM enthusiasts, and I'd hate to drive up prices against any of you.

My eBay handle is "grey.cat".

SWAFMAN
07-03-2002, 09:00 PM
welcome, DarthMike. if you're comfy doing so, howzabout sharing with us some particulars about your collection?

By the way, has anyone here ever dealt with the eBay Action Fleet buyers who use the name "CathyBrian"?
For a long time, they were buying up AFs left & right, and I still see them bidding sometimes. I've sent two e-mail invites to their e-mail address with a link to this forum, but no replies.

darthcarlos
07-03-2002, 09:18 PM
My name on eBay is coincidently-darthcarlos:o

Darth Carlos

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-04-2002, 10:49 PM
Mine is 'whiskyago' and don't worry about bidding against me. I haven't used my account in over a year and that was to buy a Card Sharks 3.5 disk computer game from 1988. A lot of the stuff I want to bid on is too rich for my blood. I don't believe I ever won any MM or AF auction and the only Star Wars stuff I ever won had to do with those worthless Episode 1 fast food stuff.

Maybe as the dinero rolls in, I will use my account a whole lot more.

Grif
07-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Just call me "b-bud" .

DarthBrandon
07-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Mine is LMCPMD

Darth Michael
07-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
welcome, DarthMike. if you're comfy doing so, howzabout sharing with us some particulars about your collection?

I'm comfy enough for that. I've got "most" of the SWAF boxed pieces. I'm an "enthusiast", not a "collector". I buy with intent to display. Most of my pieces have been opened, though I keep the boxes in perfect condition. Every now and then, the urge to "collect" strikes me, and I gravitate to eBay.

It easier to describe what I DON'T have...
- I didn't go for the "Squadron Colors" stuff, but I did get a green A-Wing 'cause it looked cool.
- I didn't go for the original Alpha Series, either, 'cause it just seemed like I was getting duplicates. If I find 'em on eBay now at a decent price, I sometimes bid. I've got a couple now.
- I didn't attempt to get variants, but I found a large Vader TIE on the shelf, although the box was pretty banged up.
- I didn't get the Rancor 'cause it's not a "vehicle". I didn't get the Sandcrawler 'cause I didn't think it looked cool. And I didn't get a Virago 'cause it was "impure". Being into video games (literally), I didn't mind the ships inspired by games, so I have those non-movie pieces. Eventually, though, the little collector in me struggled out and I crawled to eBay for Rancor, Sandrcrawler, and Virago. Much regret at not getting those when they were on the shelf.
- I generally don't have any of the "exclusive" pieces. I did, however, get the Falcon vs Interceptor "just in case" since I was having so much trouble finding a Falcon.

Hmm. Maybe it would have been shorter to just list what I have. Maybe another time. My collection isn't "out" right now. I packed it up when I left my previous job. My new office lacks the necessary shelf space. I'll have to put up some shelves in my home office.

Since this "reply" is sufficiently "off-course" from the original topic, and I'm curious what you other folk have... Maybe somebody should start a "MY COLLECTION" thread. We could each list "what we got" and, just as importantly, "what we want to get"!

BTW, I'm really torn about the Ep2 pieces. I don't like buying duplicates. But, if sales are good for them, maybe (long shot) Hasbro won't kill the line. And is that Vader TIE battle damaged? Yuck! Strange packaging, too. One corner of the package is completely "clear" plastic. They had to put tape along one of the edges to hold it together.

Lastly. I prefer "Michael". No worries about it, though, SWAFMAN, since "Mike" is virtually an instinctive contraction! (I wonder if "Maul" was actually short for something?)

D. Michael

SWAFMAN
07-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Don't let the "best & biggest" intimidate you, this (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4546) is a fine place to post about whatever you do, or don't have, Darth Michael ;)

I did the exact same as you, passing on the Rancor & Sandcrawler, while they sat on the shelf at my local Wal Mart for probably a year, only to change my mind later and have to go eBay or fellow collectors to halp find them.

psystinger
07-30-2002, 02:47 AM
I'm kinda new to the forums, but I am as imaginative as some of you are. After weeks of careful planning and research, I chose the username "psystinger". You might see me at ebay once in awhile. I'm usually only seen bidding on the E-wing or TIE Defenders (which I always lose).

SWAFMAN
01-25-2003, 10:45 PM
With all the new folks posting here lately, I thought I'd revive this thread so we can continue to try to respect each other as collectors.

If you've not already posted here, please do.

;)

sith_killer_99
01-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Actually, my ebay name is:

sith.killer.99

They won't allow _ in the name. I currently have 7 feedbacks, all positive.;)

cloneemperor
01-27-2003, 12:11 AM
My Ebay username is ... clone-emperor. I don't do much bidding as I have most of what I want, but I may eventually do more.

SWAFMAN
05-12-2003, 10:26 PM
I'm willing to believe that a small number of sellers may be making an honest oversight, but there's NO way every seller who fails to list clear shipping terms is doing so by accident.

God forbid every seller were to state a plain and simple explnation of their item's shipping cost in the "SHIPPING" section of the item listing.

I'm disgusted with listings where the SHIPPING section says to see the "Payment Details" section, and that section says to see the "Shipping" section, or something like, "see the payment instructions or item description for shipping information," but those sections say nothing at all about the shipping price.

I don't care if a seller lists an exact shipping cost, or if they say that the cost will be determined based on the winner's shipping address. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to insist that ebay make it mandatory for sellers to include the following information in the SHIPPING section of their listing:

1. The EXACT, TOTAL cost for the buyer to receive the item.
-or-
2. A CLEAR explanation of how the shipping fee will be determined at the conclusion of the auction, including any handling fees.

WOULD THAT BE SO MUCH TO ASK?????

And don't give me any crap about e-mailing to seller to get that info before I bid. If I wanted to wait for a reply later for an item, I'd be online looking for items to bid on LATER.

Later....
:frus:

[this ends the ranting from the crotchety curmudgeon a.k.a Swafman]

kool-aid killer
05-13-2003, 11:08 AM
I use ebay but its mainly in spurts. For a month or so i will bid and then i will leave it alone for another month or so. I usually lose because i dont follow my bids as they wind down or somebody does the last minute trick (i refuse to do that to someone else) Most times i usually dont care though. Obviously i would like to have the item i bidded on but if i dont get it this time there will always be another day. I think its interesting how some items will go up and down price wise. For example a few months ago Max Rebos band was going for $60 but just over a month ago i got mine for $36. Some people hate ebay but if your looking for something thats been off the shelf for a while it may be your best bet. And about the shipping i usually try to bid on auctions where the cost is clearly stated so that i can see if how much more an item will cost me.

JediTricks
05-14-2003, 09:13 PM
I totally agree Swaffy! It seems like there is such a blatant disrespect for the shipping issue on ebay, people get away with so much massive gouging there too, I think the 2 issues are related. I notice a lot of these people will claim a shipping charge that's outrageous without even bothering to claim there's a separate handling fee. Ebay is scam city, I've all but stopped using it lately.

shinakuma43
05-15-2003, 04:10 AM
I usually check shipping charges before bidding just to be sure. I made a big mistake once (well, I've made many big mistakes, lol) and assumed a seller would combine shipping charges since people usually do. He had shipping listed at 6.95 for each auction, I won 5 Battle Packs and was surprised to find that he expected me to pay 34.75 for shipping. I was pretty upset at that since I only bought a couple of them to make the average price lower assuming combined shipping. Well, he really wanted me to pay the 34.75 but there was no way I was going to do that. I told him I'd pay actual shiping or a couple bucks above. He finally agreed to it when I said he could keep his stuff and leave negative feedback on my account if he wanted since I wasn't going to allow myslef to get ripped off. Seller's would rather sell thier products than relist them. You can only get ripped off if you let them get away with it. (Actual shipping was less than 6.95 he was charging for one).

There are postage calculates out there that sellers can put on thier pages. I've seen them on different auctions but am not sure if they are available for free somewhere or if people actually created them themselves. If they're free somewhere ebay should give sellers an option to add it to thier descriptions or something, hopefully without yet another service fee for its use.

Later,
S43

Warstar
05-16-2003, 06:49 PM
My Ebay ID is Warstar. :p

I quote shipping based on weight, and the rates posted at www.usps.com

I generally "guestimate" the weight and I have been fairly accurate so far. I have over-charged shipping by accident sometimes, but then I have ended up undercharging a whole lot, too. It balances out in the end.

If I know the charge will REALLY be overcharged (by more than $1), I generally add more insurance or some other service that the Post Office offers in order to compensate. I hate people who make money off shipping couging, too!

I am one of the few sellers who ships internationally, interestingly enough. I enjoy doing it :). It's fun to help out foreign collectors :)

Kidhuman
06-03-2003, 09:55 AM
My ebay ID is kidhuman2. I rarley bid on MM merch though. Just a lookout for others on here. I go through spurts like Kool-Aid Killer. I just won two auctions so I will probably be off there for a month or two.

kool-aid killer
07-31-2003, 07:59 AM
Does psystinger still frequent the forums? He mentioned how he was always losing on E-wings and Tie defenders but a guy on the for sale threads by the name of OohyeahKL (or something like that) has one for sale. He might be able to get it cheap, but then again maybe not, the guys pictures of his collection looks like hes into the expensive stuff.

CloneTrooperMace
07-31-2003, 08:53 AM
Will mine's is CloneTrooperMace

jpak001
07-31-2003, 09:28 AM
heh.... Mine's real creative too...... jpak001 (although I had the ebay name & account way before I joined up here).

I don't ebay too much these days, but I have gotten some really good deals in the past (like a vintage tri-logo Anakin for $48). I do snipe, and think it's really the best way to get something at a cheaper price (more bids = more $$, right?). I've been sniped too, but it doesn't bother me one bit. You win some & lose some, that's just the way ebay works.

I don't use my account that much anymore, but my other half uses it to sell makeup (and lots of it). I sell stuff from time to time, and let me tell you.... Some people don't even read the auctions before they bid and win, get's really frustrating! Recently someone had used a "buy it now" on one of my auctions, then decided they didn't want it. They sent me a rude email saying that they accidentally used buy it now, and weren't going to pay for it.

Wonderful...... :rolleyes: Time & ebay fees down-the-drain :mad: And now I have to relist, nice.......

It's a great place to get loose SW stuff for cheap prices though! That's usually what I go for.

DyeJedi
08-03-2003, 09:50 PM
DyeJedi, I've got 11 positive feed back :)

bobafrett
08-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Since this thread has now caught my attention, I am, drum roll please......................NotYetAJedi. This was before I made the transformation to the Empire! I have 40 positive feedbacks! I rarely bid on Micromachine items, though I almost bid on some of the X-ray sets, but then I was pretty sure I already owned those that were up for bid.