PDA

View Full Version : Please don't screw it up.

Jargo
10-02-2001, 05:04 PM
Please don't screw up this episode two line by releasing endless rehash Anakins and Padmés and wierdy beardy Kenobi. Save a few core characters for later waves and just have one core character per wave that way you can make a decent figure instead of churning out the crap ones endlessly like you did with episode one. Thank you for never listening.

JediCole
10-02-2001, 05:19 PM
Jargo,
Though one would hope that Habro would have received your message loud and clear, if vacariously, from the response to multiple rehashes of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, I'm glad you voiced that sentiment here. As I said, one would hope. Yet the new Jedi Training Obi-Wan says otherwise. Thank you for articulating what we all think, and fear, in regard to the forthcoming EII line. Though I don't take as much issue with Queen Amidala/Padme as that character is rather defined by a bewildering array of costume changes (a trend that will no doubt perpetuate well into Episode III). To date, Hasbro has all but ignored the myriad costumes of the Queen, only recently coming on board with a few new releases. I think it all boils down to the "fear of females" that perpetuated the toy industry. Toy is fer boys an boys dont want no girl figures. That was the prevailing wisdom anyway. But then it is hard to blame (then) Kenner and (now) Hasbro. After all, the Star Wars series has only (now) two principal female characters. Otherwise it's an all-out boy's club!

Jargo
10-02-2001, 08:23 PM
I've got no quibble with figures made if they are in different costumes. I just have a big issue with the same figure wearing the same costume released time and time again with minor sculpting changes that really don't make a scrap of difference. Like episode one Anakin. The only figure that had anything remotely different about was the Padawan version. Don't just release the same Obi-Wan with a molded on jedi starfighter headset Hasbro and think we'll accept it as a new figure. Just release the one really good articulated figure with the damn accessories. I'm tired of being ripped off. I live in a country that hardly sees new releases exept by import. I sometimes don't really know what a figure really looks like until I recieve it from the postman after buying online. I don't want to find that it's the same figure with the legs just slightly wider and a crappier paint deco that is the same figure I bought in the last wave. I don't have enough money to squander on every tiny variant Hasbro tries to spew out to milk the line. I can't see many kids wanting endless Obi-Wan figures either.
So let's have an end to these pointless exercises in regurgitation and see the real treasures start to show up in assortments.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
10-03-2001, 01:23 AM
Yes, different costumes are great. Same costume over and over sucks. Please, no figures like Ascension-gun Amidala (I didn't buy it, even though it sat at my nearby Kmart for weeks), mechanic Anakin, Chocobi-Wan (quite possibly the most useless SW figure ever made), Anakin mechanic (oooo! bendy-knees and a repainted droid! That's worth another six bucks!). But figures of Amidala/Padme in all of her costumes, bring 'em on!:) :)

GNT
10-03-2001, 02:16 AM
I just have a big issue with the same figure wearing the same costume released time and time again with minor sculpting changes that really don't make a scrap of difference.

Whaen Hasbro does this why do you guys buy them if you don't like them(Not aimed at anyone)? If its just the same figure with minor changes?

Jargo
10-03-2001, 07:10 AM
We buy them because a lot of us rely on online stores and a lot of the time the stuff we get is sight unseen. The publicity pics of chocobiwan had him looking pretty fly on the net. In actual fact the figure underneath the cloak was the same as the obi from Episode 1 wave 1 or 2. But we didn't know that until we got him in the mail and unwrapped him. Sometimes buyiny a figure resculpt is the only way to get an improved version like Dagobah Vader for example. That's a cool resculpt but several of the Vaders were pretty lame. I'm just asking that with a single super sculpt of the character in the costume we wouldn't need to have these useless ones foisted upon us. And limiting core characters to just one per wave would mean more cool aliens and droids got made to fill the wave out. Can you see how I'm thinking?

bigbarada
10-03-2001, 09:41 AM
I was an avid collector of the Ep1 line until around December 1999, when I saw the new Pilot Anakin, Jedi Knight Obi-Wan and Sith Lord Darth Maul. Sure they were improved sculpts (except for the Anakin, who was just the same ol' Annie with Ric Olie's helmet and a Naboo Fighter adaptor) but at that time we still had no Plo Koon or Mas Amedda or even Shmi! Then I looked at the future figures and saw the Chocobi-Wan and realized what Hasbro was doing. Cashing in, nothing more. Thus I quit collecting the Ep1 line and am seriously debating if I plan to buy more than a couple Ep2 figures. At the rumored $8 per figure I doubt it.

ThomasLane
10-03-2001, 01:27 PM
I can echo those sentiments. The endless rehashes have gotten so discouraged/disinterested with the line that I rarely even buy the more obscure characters any more. I still haven't picked up a Duros or Ketwol, even though I've run across them a few times. I'll probably pick of the new Vader when I find him, and maybe Shmi. As for Ep.2 figures, I think I'll take a chance and wait until they go on clearance, 2 for $1.

GNT
10-09-2001, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by ThomasLane
I still haven't picked up a Duros or Ketwol, even though I've run across them a few times.

Sould pick up Ketwol and Duros, they are pretty good action figures :)

master jedi
10-09-2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by ThomasLane
I still haven't picked up a Duros or Ketwol, even though I've run across them a few times.

You can pass up the Ketwol but you might regret it in the future if you don't pick up the Duros.

Obi-Don
10-11-2001, 10:06 AM
All these redos are enough. Bring on new figures and make them where they can be got without haveing to pay high prices. Around here it is almost impossiable to get anything new.

JEDIpartner
10-11-2001, 02:24 PM
Oh... believe me- getting them around here is next to impossible too. I never found Lando (no big deal)... and you have to drive everywhere to find the one or two new figures you want!

I can't remember things being this crazy during the vintage days!

JediCole
10-11-2001, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Oh... believe me- getting them around here is next to impossible too. I never found Lando (no big deal)... and you have to drive everywhere to find the one or two new figures you want!

I can't remember things being this crazy during the vintage days!

JP,
It really depends on when in the "Vintage Days" you were collecting. Up until Jedi, selection and availability were often scarce. There were not as many Toys R Us around (at least in this area). In fact the closest TRU to the Dallas area for many years was Houston. Back in those days you had to go to the scant and ignored toy departments of Sears, JC Penny, and Montgomery Ward, to the K-Mart, Target, and later Wal-Marts (again, not so many back then), or to the overpriced mall toy store (Circus World was the big one in those days). Granted, when I started collecting at 12, I had to rely on my parents to shuttle me around or pick things up for me on the way home, but by the time I was 16 I got out a lot, and rarely found the new figures. It was a challenge even then, perhaps moreso since by Jedi many of the department stores in the malls had downsized or eliminated thier toy departments. And we didn't have the internet or Sir Steve's to keep us apraised of upcoming lines. It was only through persistant correspondence with Kenner that I often had any clue what was coming out before the Christmas catalogs from Pennys and Sears.
Believe me, in so many ways, it was a lot worse back then!

Jargo
10-13-2001, 09:18 AM
Vintagely speaking, in the UK we had many small stores selling star wars like they were just any other item. You could walk into any hardware store and find them sitting among dusters ad fly spray. You could fing them in newsagents and tobacconists, they were in grocery stores and chain stores that sold clothes.
I followed the card backs to find out what was coming out. I only knew of the Y-wing like that. But the whole time there were a constant supply of figures all mixed up and I could still find figures on star wars cards during the last days of Jedi in some of the smaller places. But they hung on for dear life.
Before TRU hit the UK ther were a few smaller chains of toy stores. The biggest I can remember was a store called TOY AND HOBBY. It was all low lighting and funky red and yellow decor. I used to spend hours standing in front of the shelves full of Falcons and x-wings with my non existent pocket money making lengthy wish lists.... ah, the nostalgia...!
Anyway, point was that it was quite easy back then to find stuff.
Now of course the UK market has gone belly up. Most stuff is bought on the net or at collector fairs. Although there are a few good comic stores who hold out against the 'wisdom' of the Hasbro UK policy of not importing. British trading standard regulations are very strange when it comes to toys. A lot of the new stuff doesn't meet with trading standards for some reason and that's why hasbro won't badger stores into stocking. Of course the regs came out after the POTF2 line so they don't fall into the same category. That's why so many stores over here have POTF2 stuff in stock and the new stuff is scarce.
But stores are canny and using the fuzzy grey market they import from countries other than the US such as Germany. Thereby eluding the trading standards regs and providing happy customers like me with lovely new POTJ stuff in large quantities and at a greatly reduced price than if they had been imported from the states. :)

Eternal Padawan
07-02-2002, 09:57 AM
Whatever you do Hasbro, leave the articulation out of the figures. It's so dumb to make joints that swivel and bend. You'll give small chidlren so many creative choices, they won't know what to do and their tiny heads will explode under the creative freedom you have given them. Instead, give each figure ONE action feature and a huge unsightly action button on their back to activate it. By removing the choice, the small child will be forced to use that action exclusively with that figure. If they want the figure to do anything else, well, they'll just have to buy the next sculpt of that figure with the appropriate action. Also, there has been some talk of vehicles in this line. Please don't make any of the action figures able to FIT in the vehicles. See, children have short attention spans and if they put a figure into a toy, fairly soon, they'll start playing with something else and forget all about the action figure in the cockpit of the vehicle. A perfectly good figure lost for all time. I propose designing figures that are physically impossible to jam into the cockpit of any toy you design. I also hate the fact that you only offer ONE figure of some of the main characters. Like Jango Fett. He shows up in more than one scene in the film, see? Maybe you could make one figure where he escapes from Kamino, and another where he's in a Final battle. And then throw in another one of two for good measure. The same goes for Obi-Wanand Anakin. Even though they wear the exact same outfits thrioughout the entire film, we need several different variations of those figures clogging up the pegs.

Thanks fore listening Hasbro. :happy:

El Chuxter
07-02-2002, 11:09 AM
Reverse psychology. . . That just might work. :p

You should make Star Wars figures based on rides at Disney, too! We really like exclusives of characters who aren't really characters being available only in Orlando and Anaheim. I think collectors will appreciate hunting for one more exclusive and will like those Short Circuit robots hanging around, taking their movie and EU figures on rides. (Except for Teek; I'll tell you about him in just a second.)

Hasbro, we don't want a Madine, or a Teek, or even an Imperial Dignitary. I think they'd be heavy pegwarmers. Especially the Teek.

And definitely no Sith Infiltrator--ever!!

Darth Evil
07-02-2002, 06:27 PM
You people think you have it bad?? I have to pay 50% extra for all my Star Wars figures, in a comic shop, because all that I see in toy stores are Tatooine Anakin, Coruscant Obi-Wan and Kamino Jango, that's all. I never once saw any POTJ or the later POTF2 or E1 waves. Now I'm paying way more then I should have to in comic shops or online. It's depressing.