PDA

View Full Version : astromech roll call

Wookiee
06-28-2002, 10:24 PM
hey could anyone provide a complete list of all the astromechs known to date? - or point me to someplace I could find a list?
A brief description would be great too; color, head shape- dome, flat-head, cone-head, etc. maybe even which film they show up in?
example: R2-D2- blue & white, dome head I, II, IV, V, VI
R5 D4- red & white, flat top head II (right?), IV

I know there's a bunch, big thanks to anyone who's been keeping better track of them than me!

Master Goeweins
06-28-2002, 11:47 PM
Hello to another fan from Tampa! Wonderful weather we got going eh? As far as I know off hand, Astromech droids go by 5 different numbers. R2 units have solid colored rounded heads. I have seen them black, red, and grey. R1's & R3's can have transparent heads with a few colored highlights, like the preview figure for ATOC. And R5's have the flat top heads. I have seen white, red, silver and red with black. Finally, the much lesser seen R4's have a head that starts as wide as the body and goes up in a cone, having a flat top where the eye sits just below the cut off point. I have seen a white on on Hoth. All the droids come available in a sleek all black too for Imperial use.

As far as a run down on movies... that's a little tough:

Red R2 unit in ATOC (Obi's navigator)
Grey R2 in ANH (Bigg's navigator & in Blockade Runner corridor)
White R5 in ROTJ (During Rebel briefing)
Red R5 (Red Leader's navigator)
Silver head R5 in ESB (Echo Base) named:R5-M2
White R4 in ANH & ESB (Blockade Runner & Echo Base)named:R4-M9
Blue & Black R4 in ANH (Rebel base on Yavin 4)

Ok, so that's what I got.....

Beast
06-28-2002, 11:59 PM
Master Goeweins, actually R1 droids are the original astromech droids. But they were so large they could only be used on capital sized star ships. There is one in the Jawa Sale in ANH, and one also appears in the background of Watto's shop in TPM. R1-G4 was up last year for Fan Choice Figure #3, but lost to Ephant Mon. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
06-29-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Master Goeweins
Red R2 unit in ATOC (Obi's navigator)

actually, i'm pretty sure it's an R4, and the secondary designation is something like P7...

and if you go by the sneak peek figs there's the yellow R3-T7 in clones, as well, though i dare you to find him...

Master Goeweins
06-29-2002, 01:18 AM
Good call JarJar, I have a picture in a book that shows a transparent droid identical to the Preview Figure, with a caption stating, "Either an R1 or R3 droid on the set of ANH." I guess your image clears that one up. Only R3s are transparent.

Master Goeweins
06-29-2002, 01:26 AM
Darthvyn: I think we've found a discrepency. I looked it up, and you are right about Obi Wan's droid. However in Star Wars; The Action Figure Archive they have a whole section of droids. Each droids head defines whether it is an R1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. R4's are clearly the cone heads. That is until now....
Continuity error?

Beast
06-29-2002, 01:32 AM
R4-P17, the Jedi Starfighter droid, according to her database file at StarWars.Com was a normal R4 unit, that was severly damaged. Anakin discovered the droid, while looking over the new Delta-7's, and rebuilt her. She needed a new dome though, and he replaced her dome with an R2 unit dome. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5417

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Master Goeweins
06-29-2002, 01:43 AM
well there you have it. Thanks JarJar.

LTBasker
06-29-2002, 03:03 AM
R2-A6 (Looks like R2-D2, but has green in the spots that are blue on R2)

Rogue II
06-29-2002, 06:24 AM
This website has pictures and names of a bunch of characters:

http://web.qx.net/red6/aliens/

jeddah
12-02-2003, 08:46 AM
Hi,

I think this may help (http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/)

:)

jeddah