PDA

View Full Version : Would you like Kenner to rehatch the OLD MICRO COLLECTION?

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 01:01 AM
Seeing as Micro Collection is my favorite items of ALL star wars collectibles( I just finished completing my mimb collection so now its on to complete the loose :D ) Would you want Hasbro to bring back the micro collection? Forget fancy resculpts and all that crap. I want them to make it exactly like it was in 1982. Reuse all the molds for Death Star World, Hoth World , and Bespin World. But more importantly finally produce the stuff that was so close to getting made before the line got canceled like Bespin Torture Chamber, Hoth Bacta Tank, Jabba's Boiler Room, Jabba's Throne Room (Don't think this ever got into prototype stage), and Emperors throne room, reuse all old molds and keep it all painted die cast figures. Plus develop new playsets to go onto all the sets. Lets not forget the best set they ever made the Millennium Falcon which never even saw a wide scale release. And please don't anybody bring up action fleet or any of that crap cause it just can't compete with micro collection ever and I'm sure as heck not happy with it. Do the Slave 1 that never got made. This would absolutely be my collecting dream come true. Would yall want Hasbro to bring back micro collection sets that were made, plus the prototypes that didn't make it , and then add new sets on top of that. .... If i can get support i'm going to start a online petition to get this done...I want this more than any figure they have to offer... Would be great since we don't get that many big things or playsets or big ships for the regular figures. Plus Micro Collection is ALOT cheaper and is great for little dioramas. Gimme some feedback!

And if your wondering " Hey Billy what the heck is Micro collection?!" I suggest you check out the link below and be sure to look at everything on there especially the Falcon.

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-toys/micro/

As for the unproduced prototypes i mentioned check this link

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-micro.html

Be sure to check out them all these made and would have made some of the best star wars toys ever....God how i want these...Do you think it would fly with kids or collectors more. I say collectors.... LMK guys and gals

BillyJAcK

JediTricks
06-29-2002, 01:34 AM
ACTION FLEET RULES!!! :D

Seriously though, I think the Micro Collection was cool back in the day, but Galoob's MM stuff really took it to the next level for me. I don't know if I'd invest in more Micro Collection these days, they seem too static and confined compared to "that other 'Micro' line".

Plus, one thing that will almost certainly hinder this is that Kenner probably got rid of the tooling for these before they were bought by Hasbro in the early '90s (technically, Hasbro bought Tonka who at that time owned Kenner), so the likelyhood of simply having them restart the line exactly as it used to be is probably nill.

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 01:42 AM
Well they had all the molds for the xwings, tie fighter, falcon, and the upcoming imperial shuttle, plus the landspeeder and i'm sure countless other stuff. Its only my guess that they still Micro Collection stuff lying around also. Why throw a $35,000 mold away? and the action fleet millennium falcon couldn't touch the micro collection falcon with a 1000 foot poll IMO. Slave 1 wasn't bad. I just love the MC alot more. And looking at the unproduced protos makes my mouth almost water...(makes homer simpson drooling noise) ..... I want die cast figures also a micro collection figure was a lil over an inch tall alot bigger that AF crap.(no offense) .... I will wait to see more replies...I knew this thread was suicide and was going to get rained on reguardless i don't know but like 3 people who like micro collection better than anything else as i do...

billy

chubbychicken
06-29-2002, 02:13 AM
i'd like to see them make sum more micro machines i'd luv it if they made a miniature of the republic gunship

QLD
06-29-2002, 12:32 PM
Well, the micro machines were awesome.

But, unfortunately I could care less.

I stayed away from the micro machines, because if I didn't just focus my collection on the 3" figs, I would be more broke than I already am.

Although I did pick up the Millenium Falcon.

Lord Tenebrous
06-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Hasbro, unfortunately, would have to completely redesign the MicroMachines collection to make it successful - and they'd need to focus on one thing in particular - scale.

No more 1-size molds. Make one ship the standard (hint: few are opening Jorg, so it doesn't have to be the X-Wing). But imagine having tiny Endor Speeders, mid-sized Snowspeeders, and to-scale versions of an AT-AT, and ships like the Star Destroyer. Make the line a viable alternative between 4" action and Micro action.

And then keep themes - starting with Hoth, maybe.

LTBasker
06-29-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BillyJAck
Well they had all the molds for the xwings, tie fighter, falcon, and the upcoming imperial shuttle, plus the landspeeder and i'm sure countless other stuff. Its only my guess that they still Micro Collection stuff lying around also. Why throw a $35,000 mold away?

Theres a big difference between the 3 3/4" line molds and the Micro molds. The micro-molds they could've felt weren't going to be used again due to the change in the micro lines, so they quite possibly could've had them destroyed. The 3 3/4" line molds could still be used though in the future because the POTF2+ (except the "Pilot" Saga figs :p) would be able to interact with them.

boss nass
06-29-2002, 02:55 PM
No way i like my vintage micro machines but no way would i like to see them redone.Maybe the unproduced ones but i doubt it will ever happen so keep dreaming.Anyways i'm looking to get rid of all my modern micro machines i just have no room for them

mista_carrot
06-29-2002, 03:06 PM
I agree with BillyJAck--I love the Micro Collection! I still have all my loose MC toys in a box. Between me and my brother, we had everything except for Death Star World :( A friend of ours had it though, so that's probably why we never got it.
Action Fleet never did anything for me. Some of the ships were nice, but the figures and the scale of the whole line was wretched in my opinion. I mean, one of the advantages of the small scale is so you can create accurately scaled vehicles for the figures, but Galoob totally messed it up and made every vehicle the same size (generally). I did buy the AF remote control AT-AT, which is cool, but the figures are more out of scale with the AT-AT than the Hasbro version! That's just plain ridiculous.

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 03:35 PM
Some of you are mixed up. I'm not talking MICRO Machines at all. I'm talking about micro collection! It was made in 1982 by Kenner. I suggest some of you look at the first link in my first post on here just so you know. I hate the micro machines....Jabba's sail barge AF was OKAY...mc is one of the coolest toys ever.

billy

Lord Tenebrous
06-29-2002, 04:17 PM
Galoob did try to start a similar line, but they sat, and I was able to grab all six sets like the attached for $1.97 each.

They're plastic figurines, not diecast, but still fun. And each came with 4-5 figures, and a vehicle.

I like these a little more than AF. I'd get more, if they'd release them. Or more figurines and ships. :)

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 04:53 PM
I had all those galoob sets as a kid. but someone got me the hoth world micro collection and an army of about 60 figures. and from then on It was only micro collection for me :D everyone should own the millennuim falcon that was a sear exclusive one the the best star wars toys EVER made.

billy

Beast
06-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Well they had all the molds for the xwings, tie fighter, falcon, and the upcoming imperial shuttle, plus the landspeeder and i'm sure countless other stuff. Its only my guess that they still Micro Collection stuff lying around also. Why throw a $35,000 mold away? billy
Actually, most of the old molds are to fragile, have been destroyed, or have fallen into collector's hands. Hasbro usually has to take a new mold from the existing vintage ships, which they have access to. Of course doing that, they loose some detail. That's why most of the new vehicles, have to be retooled before they are actually produced. So it's not as easy as just pulling old molds out of the backroom and starting production up again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Hmm interesting thanks for the note jar jar. But would you like to see new micro collection stuff? I want it for sure.

billy

Beast
06-29-2002, 05:19 PM
Hmm interesting thanks for the note jar jar. But would you like to see new micro collection stuff? I want it for sure.
billy
I don't think so, I think that Hasbro should bring back the Micro Machine line though. The playsets in that line, and the figures were works of art. And I loved the action fleet ships, they were so detailed. The micro collection stuff was good for the time, but I don't think it would do that well, produced now. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 05:21 PM
You must not have any of the vintage micro...trust me get a millennuim falcon. Its actually in SCALE with the figures and i love it!

Beast
06-29-2002, 05:42 PM
The best Micro falcon, was the big playset one that MicroMachines put out. Now that was cool. :cool: No, I never really had much of an intrest in the vintage micro line, they were kinda ho hum to me.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Some of you are mixed up. I'm not talking MICRO Machines at all. I'm talking about micro collection! It was made in 1982 by Kenner.

Actually I was talking about those, and I have seen them on Ebay. They are interesting, but I doubt they'd succeed today considering the playsets that were fold-out heads and the regular Micro-Machine playsets pretty much had the basics of what they needed which were also in Micro-Collection. Die-Cast figures and such aren't really that big of a thing lately - it's plastic with articulation.

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Well this sux i must be like 1 of the 200 people who actually buy and collect as much micro collection as i can....no wonder the line failed and got canceled in 1982 ...no support...sheesshh at least i've got what came out

billy

ps. micro machines looks like crap compared to anything kenner made in 1982

LTBasker
06-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Actually, the vehicles like the Snowspeeder and X-wing in the micro-collection, IIRC, are among the same lines as the Action Fleet stuff, except with plastic figures.

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Not all action fleet is horrible. But as far as playsets MM suck! period. I love the diecast figures...is there a good archive of the action fleet toys. I couldnt' fine one on this site(didn't look too long) point it out someone. thanks

billy

Beast
06-29-2002, 09:45 PM
If you like die-cast figures so much, look into picking up some of the West End Games pewter figures. They were very cool, and made alot of things that were similar in scale to the Micro Collection line. The Bantha miniature is very very cool. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately Jar Jar you have to be Vincent Van Gogh to paint them like that are suppose to look. :( I only wish the micro collection Slave 1 has been made :( and the Torture Chamber would have be awesome. :( if will never be. I guess i'll have to beg the person who has the one in existance to sell it for $15,000-$20,000 when i win the lottery or i get a really big commission. thanks for the NOTE

billy

PS someone give me a link to Action fleet archive if its on here. I can't find em.

bigbarada
06-29-2002, 10:29 PM
The Micro Collection was pretty cool; but like Micro Machines in the POTF2 days and Lego nowadays, they are pretty much only stuff I look at when I can't find anything new in the 3 3/4" section. Sorry, not interested.

BillyJAck
06-29-2002, 11:09 PM
more proof or i should say an example of why the first release failed and was canceled..o well it will forever be my favorite sw collectible all time :D thats all that matter.....

JediTricks
06-30-2002, 11:55 PM
Why throw a $35,000 mold away?I dunno, why did Kenner throw away nearly all the molds of the 3" figures from '78 to '85? When Hasbro went to rerelease some of the originals like Luke for a special 4pack back in '95, they had to copy actual figures because the molds were gone. That is why the 4pack figures are slightly smaller than the original versions with a little less detail - Hasbro had to pull new molds from the original figures and plastic shrinks, so it's double-shrunk.

---

Carrot, Galoob didn't want to make Action Fleet vehicles all one general size, but between the backlash on the Cloud Car being perceived as "too small" and Hasbro forcing LFL to limit Galoob to 6" vehicles, they were between a rock and a hard place.

---

Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Galoob did try to start a similar line, but they sat, and I was able to grab all six sets like the attached for $1.97 each.
Hey LT, "but they sat"?!? Micro Machines and its spin-offs Die Cast and Action Fleet ran longer than POTF2, from '93 till 2000. The MM platform and transforming playsets ran throughout that entire time. We've even got a fairly sizable forum dedicated to Micro Machines here on SSG:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24

---

BTW, I think you need to take a closer look at the Action Fleet Snowspeeder gang, the figures have moving arms and legs, they fit in their seats properly and they even have small displays. The Micro Collection Snowspeeder has 2 preposed metal figurines with very little details painted orange and a break apart gimmick. The AF Snowspeeder is like one of the weakest interiors and oldest designs in the AF line and it still blows the doors off the Micro Collection version IMO.

I really loved my MC Hoth World and Snowspeeder as a kid, but now that I have the AF snowspeeder and Hoth playset, I think they're even better. To this day, I'm still always greeted with a grin-enducing view whenever I look at my AF Hoth, that is one fun playset.

---

Oh, and since I have a poor ISP and high bandwidth needs, there's no one current "Action Fleet" section on SSG anymore (I'm afraid I don't have time right now), there's the old features one and a bunch of scattered pics. However, here's the link to the old features MM section where you can find most things Action Fleet: http://209.197.117.27/databases/features.cgi?Q=ss&C=starwars&T=6&L=2

SWAFMAN
07-01-2002, 12:22 AM
well, I don't know a single thing about micro collection, but I also urge anyone here who enjoys micro machines and / or action fleet to visit the SSG mm forum via JT's link above.

and billyjack, here's another resource for MM & AF:
wayback machine (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/wayback.htm)

oh, and as you may have guessed, I'm very partial to ACTION FLEET

darthcarlos
07-01-2002, 01:48 AM
Star Wars Micro Machines and Action Fleet are some of the best toys ever made for the buck! Alot of detail in a small package. I love my collection.

"Think Big, play small"......MICROMACHINES

Darth Carlos

haggie
07-01-2002, 03:43 PM
is there a good archive of the action fleet toys. I couldnt' fine one on this site(didn't look too long)

I'm building one right now but it wont be up for a few weeks (and even then it wont be 100% complete). It will be at starwarsactionfleet.com (http://www.starwarsactionfleet.com) by the end of the month.

I had all of the Micro Collection except for the Snowspeeder and the X-Wing when I was a kid. I absolutely loved the line. I thought the TIE Fighter was amazing (and yes, it is better than the AF verison). The Millenium Falcon MC is hardly the best SW toy ever, though it was good. I was also a fan of the old die-cast ships too. Because of my love for these two lines when I was a kid, I fell madly in love with Action Fleet. I don't collect the playsets (they do suck, especially when compared to MC) but I love the vehicles. The only AF vehicle that has truely sucked, IMO, is the Jabba Sail Barge. The rest rock!

There is just no way that MC will ever be brought back. AF took it's place, period. I would love to see those old playsets produced but it will never happen. MC didn't sell well in the first place (I was lucky that my mom bought the sets for me fron the Sears catalog because I only ever saw them once in the store and they didn't have many).

Have fun reliving the old days but don't get your hopes up. If Hasbro is having second thoughts about continuing production on AF there is no way they'd ever consider reproducing MC.

SNAYSON
07-01-2002, 04:50 PM
I'm not really interested in re-releasing kenners micro line up. Interested more in their 3 3/4" line up.

Jonna
07-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Those old metal ones were pretty cool. I have absolutely no interest in the new ones.

BillyJAck
07-01-2002, 10:47 PM
:P me too they just better improve....i'm slowly switching to 12 inch...Jango is very cool and Dooku looks great!

vulcantouch
07-02-2002, 12:57 AM
uh, no, not really. no :p
here's my top 3 toy revival priorities:
1: mm vehicles
2: '' ''
3: '' ''
vt :D

BillyJAck
07-02-2002, 01:00 AM
God all of you are just about micro machines....none of you own the vintage Micro Collection Besipin Freezing chamber or Millennium Falcon....tisk tisk....too bad ...if you only knew the power of the micro collection....lol

Beast
07-02-2002, 01:02 AM
I know the power of the micro collection. It had the power to rot on store shelves until it was clearenced and cancelled. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BillyJAck
07-02-2002, 01:04 AM
Ha ha...well gus lopez thinks its something special.... I loved the die cast action master sw figs...why can't they use die cast!! And make the ships in scale...then i'll shut up

BillyJAck
07-02-2002, 01:05 AM
ps it might had rotted then but now people pay up the wazoo just to get a mint set or a mimb set 9 times retail price..

2-1B
07-02-2002, 01:14 AM
:P me too they just better improve....i'm slowly switching to 12 inch...Jango is very cool and Dooku looks great!

Slowly? :confused:
In two months I think you've obsessed over every SW toy line.
Except MM, that is. ;)

Beast
07-02-2002, 01:20 AM
ps it might had rotted then but now people pay up the wazoo just to get a mint set or a mimb set 9 times retail price..
People pay up the "wazoo" for alot of stupid stuff. Doesn't actually mean that those things are really worth that much. Remeber the old saying, "A fool and his money, are soon parted." :D

Originally posted by Caesar
Slowly? :confused:
In two months I think you've obsessed over every SW toy line.
Except MM, that is. ;)
He'll be obsessed with every Star Wars line, then he will decide they all suck and he wants to sell them all and just buy the rare ones. :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BillyJAck
07-02-2002, 01:23 AM
:P you guys are too cruel...I meant i like the detail in 12 inch Jango and the looks of 12 inch Dooku better than the 3 3/4 version of them available now. Thats what I meant. And people call me obsessed...well i just buy it all up.. i don't drool for months over what i want like some...I see something i like it i buy it simple as that....and I've been collecting since 1989 so i dont' think i'll pick up and sell it all JarJar ;)

haggie
07-02-2002, 01:24 AM
All vintage SW items are worth multiples of their original value. MC was a very cool line but there isn't much hope of seeing more produced. I owned them, so I can atest to their coolness but right now my only hope is to see more Action Fleet!

BillyJAck
07-02-2002, 01:28 AM
ps what i meant by them paying up the wazoo is instead of buying these things for cheap when they were out they overlooked them for other stuff at the time... Now they have to pay much higher prices to get any of it....same thing goes for the vintage POTF line...they certainly aren't as RARE as some think.. go on ebay and do a search for any of the last 17 and tons of them pop up...but do a search for a truly rare figure like leia organa(white outfit) on a rotj card and maybe one ever year shows up thats in good shape. Yet people pay crazy prices to get the last 17....just cause most overlooked it at the time it was out.

billy

haggie
07-02-2002, 01:38 AM
You've been collecting since 1989. What do you know about the original POTF line? They are extremely rare! I was running all over town trying to get these figs as a kid and only found them at one store. I was lucky enough to have $50 in allowence saved up at the time (a lot of money considering I made $10 a month) and I bought one of each that they had (no Yak Face or Barada). The reason why they were so hard to find is because they were not produced in large numbers. The reason there are so many on eBay is because by the time those figures came out SW figure scalping was in full effect and the a**holes got them (and now they are selling them on eBay and people who buy them later sell them again when a new movie comes out so they can profit as well). I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but I can tell you from personal experience that the POTF figs are very rare.

haggie
07-02-2002, 01:40 AM
... plus only die-hard collectors are trying to find a ROTJ Leia (white outfit) because she was released on a different card prior to ROTJ. POTF figs were only released once.

BillyJAck
07-02-2002, 01:46 AM
Dude i saw tons of potf in houston at Tru when i was little TONS and I remember seeing them all on clearence. my older brother at one time had like 9 complete sets of US potf figures(later he got all the australian releases also at a 1988 toy show) MoMC that he paid clearence prices for. I was only 5 but i have clear memories of going to tru and seeing all of them. Those things weren't Soooo Rare cause i've heard many a story from my brother and dad plus read a bunch of places that they went on clearence for .50-$1.00 a pop. In fact i use to have a Han Carbonite with a .50 cent clearence sticker on it from that very TRU. ... maybe in Denver but in Houston we could have walk out with cartloads..

billy

BillyJAck
07-02-2002, 01:51 AM
ps...i didn't say there weren't rare at all.....just NOT AS Rare as some would think...

billy

haggie
07-02-2002, 01:55 AM
The same can be said for any SW figure that was in any of the main releases. If you were lucky enough to have a TRU in town you could find hundreds of figs there. It doesn't mean that they weren't taken home and opened by some kid which means that MOC figs are rare. Plus, most places didn't have a store like TRU back then, only major cities. I'm sure at one point you could find ESB Boba Fetts on clearance too.

good shot jansen
07-02-2002, 08:12 AM
the micro collection did have some cool toys, like death star world and the hoth play sets. the die cast ships were not fully thought through with regards to the finishing paint work and detail. (imho)

prolly the reason why micro collection died an unheralded death is that it was made by kenner, and kenners bread and butter sw line was the 3 3/4" line. when you start producing too much, at some point your gonna cut loose what the bean counters perceive as being unprofitable (i think they should always start with the exec's salary meself).

unfortunately, this very same nonsense is prolly gonna happen with micro machines (yeah right, like it hasn't happened already).

back when galoob (a tiny toy compnay when compared to hasbro) was making mm's in full force, we were given some of the greatest designed and executed toys ever. the detail throughout the mm lines (micro machines, action fleet, die cast, x-ray's, playsets, etc.) were amazing! a first class toy all the way. my 8 year old son, has been playing with mm's since he was 2, and has never broken or lost (well, he did lose his 1st a-wing pilot, but jt rode to the rescue to solve that crisis!), a single toy, and still plays with em to this day. he never plays with the 3 3/4" line, cause he has always found it too big to really enjoy, and thus all those potwhatever stuff he has gotten over the years, sit in his closet unused.

as i never collected star wars toys until my son developed the love for the micro machine lines, i can only gauge my knowledge by what a child and his friends like playing with, and that has always been micro machines!