PDA

View Full Version : Ebay question/stories

Lonely Padme
06-29-2002, 03:34 PM
Has anyone ever win an auction on Ebay that seems ridiculously low?

I've recently won a Luke with Taun Taun (MIB) for $4.50.
(the shipping was $6), and I am waiting to see if the guy will pan out.

What has your experience been with bidding SW stuff on Ebay?

ChemOx
06-29-2002, 04:27 PM
back in the very early days of ebay, you could get just about everything ridiculously low......and I mean ridiculous!! got a MONM/MC Yoda (brown snake) for 12.00. But that was back when seller really didnt pay too much attention to detail and were misspelling words, so that their auction wouldnt show up in conventional searches. Now, there are programs just for power sellers and ebay, so that crap doesnt happen anymore.....or very rarely. I miss the old days

QLD
06-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Ummm.....I got a Bespin Luke for 5 before I found one in stores.

I got a bunch of Babylon 5 figures really cheap, for like 1 dollar. The person had set the auction to end on X-Mas day, I guess without realizing it. No one was bidding that day. I am going to make looking on ebay a X-MAS tradition.

hango fett
06-29-2002, 06:00 PM
very good idea QLD! thanx in advance!

boss nass
06-29-2002, 08:03 PM
I scored 18 SW Insider Magazines for $6.00 thats including shipping so it cost the seller money to ship it to me

LTBasker
06-29-2002, 08:41 PM
I got a Revell 1:24 NASCAR Jeff Gordon Episode I Pepsi Car that had it's case, certificate of autheticity and everything else it was supposed to come with for around $22 when a local NASCAR shop was wanting $75 for it.

rynobot
06-29-2002, 08:43 PM
I only buy from sellers that have very high positive feedback and no or very low negative feedback, this insures that I wilol never be had. I can snag Episode 1 and POTF2 carded figures for $3 and usually from the same seller so I only pay one shipping fee.

Jedi Drew
06-30-2002, 08:26 AM
I just got a 12" Tusken Raider with blaster in mint box off of E-Bay for $10.00. I was gonna stop collecting the 12" but for this price I couldn't pass it up. Oh yea, it still had a K-Mart price sticker on it of $19.99 but that came off easy. I usually don't buy stuff off of E-Bay but SOMETIMES you get a good deal. HH:D :D

Forhekset
06-30-2002, 12:08 PM
I got a MOMC SOTE Prince Xizor for a dollar about a year ago or so when I was collecting the entire SOTE line. I have no idea why no one else ever bid on the auction...I waited til there was only like a couple of minutes left in the auction and still no one had bid on it. So I bid on it, and won. I also got a POTF2 Dewback w/ Sandtrooper for $5, and once this one guy had a bunch of old POTF2 figures all ending on the same day, with no bids on any of them, so I waited til there was hardly any time left on the auctions and went and won them all for like $2 apiece. I got Lak Sivrak, Garindan, Momaw Nadon, and Tarkin that day. :)

rynobot
06-30-2002, 03:39 PM
I just won a orange carded C-3po for a penny and an Episode 1 C-3po for 1 dollar from the same guy.

Lonely Padme
06-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Wow... seems like a lot of good deals can be had.

I too see a lot of auctions with zero bids and those looks like a great bargain. Maybe Ebay is not so bad after all. I think the trick is not to bid up the prices - especially just to spite the overbidder.

rynobot
06-30-2002, 08:42 PM
just remembet to add the shipping total with the bid price.

Dark Knight
06-30-2002, 10:41 PM
I don't usually more pay more than $3 for a moc and $2.5 for loose figure. I usually buy lots so it an lower price. I open the extra figures.

:D

Mandalorian Candidat
07-01-2002, 10:58 AM
I've routinely won OC figures for $5 and less. I've also won loose, complete vintage figures, 3-in-a-lot, for a total of $3-$7. Right now I'm dealing with a TCG-selling store on ebay that I can get $1 (starting bid) rare cards through.

aceguide
07-01-2002, 12:55 PM
There are definitely the occassional deals on e-bay - 2 unopened cases of EpI figs for $20 + shipping.

The catch is to be sure you know the shipping rate. Saw a POJ auction for 3 figs and the shipping was $10!

tgr3328
07-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Bid no higher than you want to spend. Don't get carried away just because you have to have it now! Pay attention to the shipping charges. If they don't specify S&H, ask in advance. My opinion is that when they don't specify, you have the right to negotiate later, especially if they say "shipping to be determined at close of auction".

Stick with known sellers with high ratings. I got burned once by a seller with a very low rating. A later learned he just closes his account (or got it closed for him!) and opened another.

Over all, be patience. The figures that everyone wants today might be yours for the taking tomorrow.

I have bought most of the EP1, SOTE, and POTF2 figures and vehicles through Ebay and paid reasonable prices for them.

aikman
07-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Ebay is great ,SOMETIMES.
Many deals can be had .

On the other hand though, Ive seen people shelling out big money for stuff that is either not worth it or readily availlable.

Remember Shipping is the killer too, many deals have been blown just because the seller charges a 'handling fee' that made the price too high.

JediJeff77
07-01-2002, 04:14 PM
Another thing to look out for is when sellers charge a fee to accept paypal payments. Per paypal user agreement, they are not allowed to do this. I've seen them charge as much as $5 extra just to pay via paypal and paypal DOES NOT charge anywhere near that to accept the payment.
-J

Lonely Padme
07-01-2002, 06:11 PM
I almost think that if you are a loose collector (not me), you should just use Ebay because the used-lot deals are pretty good. And the shipping is cheaper because they don't have the extra packaging.

I even see recent (AOTC) loose figures selling for $1 plus .75 for S&H. How can you beat that?

I can also see why people say that SW collectors shouldn't expect their toys to be worth anything in the future. With Ebay, the availability is just too great. :(

Lonely Padme
07-02-2002, 02:31 AM
Just to let everyone know, my TaunTaun arrived today! In mint condition no less. I was planning to open the box, now I have to think twice... At least this experience with Ebay was a good one (and quick too!).

AT-ATstuntdriver
07-02-2002, 02:50 AM
wtf are they thinking??????:stupid: :crazed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=1741416810

OriginalBryGuy
07-02-2002, 12:16 PM
I'm a huge, huge Ebay addict. I buy way too much and most of it is Star Wars. I usually buy figures I've had trouble finding only after I've searched everywhere I can. I also buy vintage stuff.

AT-ATstuntdriver
07-02-2002, 01:22 PM
nevermind...:frus:

Jaina Solo
07-02-2002, 01:36 PM
You can really find a lot of good deals on Ebay if you look. There are always auctions people don't find, or that get buried under all the other ones. I've lucked into a lot of those and have picked up some great stuff cheap. I've won auctions for figures where the total with shipping has been between $3-$7. I got a Star Trek figure for a penny once; that was cool. Babylon 5 figures for $3, POTF2 figs for about the same price...

I buy a lot more than I should just because I've found so many good deals, of course. :)

The only real huge problem with Ebay stuff is that people get crazy about it, so the prices on things can go much higher than is reasonable. That's why Ebay is a bad place to use as a price list.

Lonely Padme
07-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
The only real huge problem with Ebay stuff is that people get crazy about it, so the prices on things can go much higher than is reasonable. That's why Ebay is a bad place to use as a price list. [/B]

I totally agree.

My rule of thumb is a good deal should be less than the retail price. If the item is not that rare, I expect about 50% of retail.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Less than retail to cover the shipping charge in my book. I know it's a part of the whole deal, but I absolutely can't stand to pay for shipping. The USPS must be making bank off of ebay buyers, yet they still can't make a profit.

Dopes :rolleyes:

AT-ATstuntdriver
07-02-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
You can really find a lot of good deals on Ebay if you look. There are always auctions people don't find, or that get buried under all the other ones. I've lucked into a lot of those and have picked up some great stuff cheap. I've won auctions for figures where the total with shipping has been between $3-$7. I got a Star Trek figure for a penny once; that was cool. Babylon 5 figures for $3, POTF2 figs for about the same price...

I buy a lot more than I should just because I've found so many good deals, of course. :)

The only real huge problem with Ebay stuff is that people get crazy about it, so the prices on things can go much higher than is reasonable. That's why Ebay is a bad place to use as a price list.

aren't all star trek figs around that price range?:D :stupid:

Mandalorian30
07-02-2002, 04:20 PM
I recently got a Spider-Man Classics Yellow Daredecil MOC for 11 bucks! That was one of my better finds.

Turbowars
07-02-2002, 10:38 PM
Looks like most of you are talking about stuff that everyone has and there's no demand for them anymore. If you look at the new crap, it's way over priced. The thing that always ****ed me off is when a bidder keeps bidding and bidding on the same auction. Either their brain dead or their bidding up their own auction. I have bought thousands of $ worth of StarWars crap on e-bay and for the most part things always went well. I really never got a deal, but that because i collect errors and variations and they usally go throw the roof. Ebay and I have a love hate relationship. LOL

Slacker Jedi
07-02-2002, 11:39 PM
I got a good deal a couple of weeks ago... this guy was auctioning 2 figures (Orn Free Taa & Endor Soldier), he started the bidding at $5. There was only one other bidder; I bid 5.50 and won!
The poor guy actually lost money on this auction!

As for feedback, yeah, positive feedback is always a good sign, but don't forget sometimes even sellers with lots of positive feedback can try to pull a fast one on you... :)

DarthJdog
07-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Check this out guys, its a custom Clone trooper with Removable Helmet. The Blister Looks great. He just took the Jango head off and slapped it on the Body of the Clone trooper then molded a new plastic blister. It looks great but geez, the things people do to put things on ebay. I would just keep the darn thing. It looks pretty nice!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1744836348

DarthJdog
07-03-2002, 12:00 AM
LOL ... this is from the same guy... cool customs..
12 inch jango head on a Clone Trooper Body

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1746262079