PDA

View Full Version : Who put the "B" in "B-Wing"?

Fulit
08-16-2001, 07:33 PM
Ok, so if you notice, the X-Wing had "X" shaped wings, the Y-Wing is roughly shaped like a "Y", and the A-Wing is slightly similar to the shape of the letter "A". The B-Wing in no way resembles a letter "B", no matter how you look at it. What's up w/ this?

evenflow
08-16-2001, 07:49 PM
The way I rationalize this is:

If the B-wing is standing straight up and the wings out, it almost looks like a "B" on both sides. I
---I---
I
I

It's like if you draw 2 half circles on each side, there is a B.

I don't know, I took a shot.

Fulit
08-16-2001, 09:17 PM
I see what you're saying, that makes me look at it totally different.

the master jedi
08-16-2001, 09:22 PM
I think the guy who designed it had a a B for either the first letter in his first name or the first letter in his last name.

PloKoon2385
08-17-2001, 12:35 AM
If you turn it vertically, with the cockpit on the bottom, it looks like a lower-case "B". That's my best guess.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
If you turn it vertically, with the cockpit on the bottom, it looks like a lower-case "B". That's my best guess.

"b" With the cockpit at the bottom of the ship, that's basically how the ship is shaped, like a lower-case b.

bibfortuna
08-17-2001, 10:21 AM
I think this was listed in a Q&A at Rebelscum....

I also remember reading this back in the day....

"B" stands for "Blade". With the wings extended, the long fuselage looks like the blade of the knife, with the cockpit being the handle, and the shorter wings being the hand guards.

JEDIpartner
08-17-2001, 10:40 AM
these all sound pretty reasonable. :p

Fulit
08-17-2001, 12:13 PM
They do sound reasonable, don't they? There goes my theory.

El Chuxter
08-17-2001, 12:52 PM
I've heard the blade explanation too at some point.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 08:52 AM
I can't buy that "blade" explanation, it doesn't fit. Look at the X-wing, the Y-wing, and the A-wing, all three are shaped like the English letters they are named after, yet the B-wing, which IS shaped like a "b" doesn't fit in with this just to mess with our minds? Take a look at the Action Fleet Series Alpha B-wing and the B-wing designs in other reference books, it LOOKS like a "B" in earlier designs.

2-1B
05-09-2002, 12:01 AM
I always thought of it as a capital B on either side like evenflow proposed. Sure it takes imagination unlike the other 3, but I just assumed they wanted it to "fit" the pattern of X,Y, A,?
Though I must admit the lower case b theory does make sense.

Can I go with both explanations? :)

Dak Powers
05-09-2002, 01:13 AM
Actually, what I've heard is-- Incom made the X wing, and then the Y wing... General Dodonna designed the A wing, and then the same company who made those made the B wing soon after, and implemented them into the rebellion's fleet by Ackbar. There's also an E wing in the EU, so I wonder if there's a C and D wing? :D

icatch9
05-09-2002, 10:02 AM
They had to call it a b wing. I mean t wing would have been silly. Ha, just kidding. I don't get it either, but it's still cool to me.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 11:46 AM
Nah, it doesn't look anything like a lower case B. It's symmetrical while 'b' is asymmetrical. I would accept that explanation if it were called the I-Wing since it looks more like an i with the cockpit on top and the wings drawn in.

mightywhelk
05-09-2002, 12:17 PM
Like bibfortuna, I've also heard the 'blade' explanation too. If you picture it with the cockpit at the bottom it's meant to look like a sword or dagger, which I suppose it does.

leenovak
05-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Would you really want a fighter shaped like a giant capital "B" anyway? :)

mrmiller
05-09-2002, 03:09 PM
I think it was supposed to be called a t-wing, but the conversation got interupted and someone thought he said "Bee" instad of "Tee". It was a simple mistake, but they decided to live with it. Also Luke was supposed to be Lukas Cryhopper, as is evident in ANH. ;)

LTBasker
05-09-2002, 05:45 PM
Hmm... I always thought it could stand for Bi-wing. :happy:

Lord Malakite
05-10-2002, 12:53 AM
I think the B-Wing looks like a capital B. Take a look at this picture.

JediTricks
05-10-2002, 12:58 AM
If you saw that Series Alpha Action Fleet B-wing, it'd be clear why it's a "B"wing.

Lord Malakite
05-10-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Dak Powers
Actually, what I've heard is-- Incom made the X wing, and then the Y wing... General Dodonna designed the A wing, and then the same company who made those made the B wing soon after, and implemented them into the rebellion's fleet by Ackbar. There's also an E wing in the EU, so I wonder if there's a C and D wing? :D

There are actually quite a few Rebel wings. There are the common ones from the movies (A-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing, and B-Wing). Then in the Expanded Universe there are many more (E-Wing, K-Wing, T-Wing, V-Wing, and TIE-Wing).

LTBasker
05-10-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
If you saw that Series Alpha Action Fleet B-wing, it'd be clear why it's a "B"wing.

Another reason it could stand for Bi-Wing instead of changing the name. They originally were gonna have it look like a B but due to changes they just gave it another reason.

Also, the V-wing, if you play Rogue Squadron, it looks NOTHING like a V.

Anyone else notice that while english is "basic" in the SW universe, they go by a different alphabet, yet the A, B, X and Y characters are from our alphabet? :D

Lord Malakite
05-10-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Also, the V-wing, if you play Rogue Squadron, it looks NOTHING like a V.

I can see a V when looking at the V-Wing. You just got to be creative with them. Just look at the pic of the B-Wing I posted. I showed how it looks like a B.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Nah, I think you're seeing things. I think they just started over at the beginning of the alphabet with the A- and B-Wings since they had the X- and Y-Wings. There's no way this ship looks anything like a B. The designer who came up with the name was probably waiting for G.Lu. to approve the drawing and came up with the name on the fly.

G.Lu.: So, what do you call this one?

Designer: Uhhh. (quickly looks around the room and sees a bee buzzing around outside the window) The B-wing.

G. Lu.: Whatever.

pthfnder89
05-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite

There are actually quite a few Rebel wings. There are the common ones from the movies (A-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing, and B-Wing). Then in the Expanded Universe there are many more (E-Wing, K-Wing, T-Wing, V-Wing, and TIE-Wing).

Never heard of the K- or T-Wings, but that's why I hate EU sometimes. Nothing original and most of the time (like the TIE-Wings, ugh...) even the stuff they copy turns out retarded.:rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-10-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite

I can see a V when looking at the V-Wing. You just got to be creative with them. Just look at the pic of the B-Wing I posted. I showed how it looks like a B.

I think the B in the B-wing is something abstract. You just have to stare at it a long time and then your mind will start to see it. It's like looking at a Jackson Pollack painting!

Darth Ovori
05-14-2002, 09:18 PM
t-wing ... ???

t = = = = = X (a t-wing shooting a X-wing)

O.K. so I'm bored it's 3:00 in the morning and I'm still at work...

H H H (team of tie fighters) ... :D

Kernel
05-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Um... does any of this really matter that much? I mean, its a cool looking toy. They could call if a Crap-Wing and I'd still like it, because hey - it's star wars.

Demiurgo
05-18-2002, 03:22 PM
|o| <---this is a tie fighter <o> ----vader's one (well...almost) >o< ---xwing :P

Pedro Telles

jedi master sal
05-20-2002, 04:00 PM
{o} this is vaders tie, {oo} this is the tie bomber

as far as the b-wing goes, look at it from it's profile (that's side view) you can see the "B" is the cockpit and the fuselage. the rest is all wing.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-21-2002, 05:11 PM
The blade theory is right i think. I believe it is explained on the Behind The Magic CD-ROM.

Talking about CD-ROM's, is there a guide to AOTC on CD-ROM?

:)

jed
05-22-2002, 12:48 AM
I heard the blade thing ages ago, and I like it the most. but it seems to be one of those things that will always be a mystery.

I wouldn't even believe GL himself. I don't think I can forgive him for that speal on R2-D2's name being on a film cannister from American Graffity.

Jed

scruffziller
05-31-2002, 12:43 AM
So would that make the Tie Bomber a "bracket wing" and the tie fighter an "H-Wing" and the Tie Advanced an "M Wing"???

scruffziller
05-31-2002, 12:44 AM
I liked T-WIng better.

BizRodian
06-02-2002, 06:36 PM
It looks like a lower case b to me dudes... fits in perfectly with the other wings... I don't know why this question gets asked so many times for the B Wing and not for the other ones.

mista_carrot
06-06-2002, 03:09 AM
I think this was answered by the Jedi Council on the official site. I believe they said that the blade theory is logical, but that it might be because the model makers at ILM simply differentiated all the different ships by assigning them letters-- i.e. A-ship, B-Ship, C-ship, etc.

When it came time to name the ships, the A-ship happened to slightly resemble an A, so A-wing fit well. However, with the B-Wing...

mista_carrot
06-06-2002, 03:24 AM
Here's a link to the official site that will explain everything...

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/askjc20010920.html

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 04:04 AM
A) Jocasta Nu totally sucked in Ep2, in my usually-less-than-humble opinion ;), her delivery was way off the mark;
-and-
B) she didn't really answer SQUAT at that link, just more guessing and "possible" answers!

Good find none the less though. I love how she shoots down the A-wing's similarity to that letter of the alphabet too, "passing resemblance" my Aunt Fanny!

Man, I wish I could find a scan of that Action Fleet Series Alpha book, the earlier design really has more of an upper-case B feeling.

LTBasker
06-06-2002, 08:36 AM
I think I'll just stick with "Bi-Wing" for the Trilogy B-wing.

"Jocasta Nu" at SW.com is someone hired from one of the SW.com crew who said they wouldn't do it for much or anything at all instead of an "official" LucasFilm source.