PDA

View Full Version : age old question, sorry but...xbox or gamecube...

conli olper
06-30-2002, 03:38 PM
sorry i know weve heard this a million times but i seriously cant decide. ive got a PS2, but i want shiney graphics! so is it GC - 'rogue leader 2, bounty hunter, clone wars game whatever its called', or xbox - 'galaxies, outcast, old republic'. see my dilemma. man im seriously thinking gamecube just for rogue squadron. i must have played the demo like 100 times in store. why the fcuk cant that game be on xbox. so help me out, what do you think, GC or xbox, and why. cheers.

Jason B
06-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Go with the box. :D

preacher
06-30-2002, 08:00 PM
That depends on what is really important to you. If you prefer a larger polygon/sec count, true dolby stereo sound, and the ability to play DVDs you should go with the X-Box.

You might be interested to know that I know many people that bought the Box and have had it fail completely. One of my co-workers hasn't even had his system for half a year yet and his system decided to quit. It woud $100 to repair and is then only gauranteed to work for 30 days.

Or you can pay $149 bucks for the cube, which doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Box but Nintendo's reliability is proven. My NES, SNES, N64 and the GC are still working. Personally in a contest between features and reliability I go with reliability. What good is paying for the fancy stuff if it fails after a couple months? Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, Rogue Leader is an AWESOME game. ETERNAL DARKNESS is an AWESOME game.

Jason B
06-30-2002, 08:09 PM
Yes, stability is an issue. Not a major one, though. I've heard from multiple people, that it is super stable, and I've seen it in action. It is the fastest-loading console that I've seen, even faster than the NES.

Lord Malakite
06-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Depends entirely on your interests in video games. Buy whichever system has more games that interests you. Don't buy a system just because of its graphic capabilities are said to be "superior" to another system. Don't buy into hype.

And yes, Eternal Darkness is a cool and unique game preacher. Silicon Knights did an excellent job on it. I would recommend trying this game out if you have a GAMECUBE.

scruffziller
07-01-2002, 01:19 AM
I like Gamecube because I grew up on Nintendo and I can't wait for every traditional title that comes out.

conli olper
07-01-2002, 11:16 AM
i do want good graphics but that aint THE issue cause im seriously not seeing any diff in xbox vs gamecube graphics. i'll probably end up getting a box for galaxies cause i wont be able to play the PC version on my laptop and the PS2 version will look ***** in comparison. anyone know if we'll ever see rogue leader on xbox? man, if not i'll probably end up getting a GC just for that game. lol, get em both, problem solved.

LTBasker
07-01-2002, 11:57 AM
PS2 + GC = Who needs a box that's shaped like an X?

PS2's DVD player is pretty good also, a good buy for $400 worth (since they've been marked down to $200 on the PS2s)

JediDan
07-01-2002, 04:15 PM
Without a doubt X-BOX. I don't know what all the fuss is about Rogue Squadron for GC, I have the game and it sucks big time. They actually have midi music in there. LOL What a joke. The controls are horrible!!!!!!! What a sorry excuse for a SW game. I have yet found a game for GC that has me "excited" to get. I'll admit that X-Box games aren't top notch right now but wait till this fall when many games will be going online (Unreal Championship anyone) You already have the network adaptor and a hard drive. 9 ft. cords, and an awesome DVD player with a cool zoom feature. Go with the X-Box, Star Wars Galaxies is gonna totally kick butt. :D

Lord Malakite
07-02-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by JediDan
Without a doubt X-BOX. I don't know what all the fuss is about Rogue Squadron for GC, I have the game and it sucks big time. They actually have midi music in there. LOL What a joke. The controls are horrible!!!!!!! What a sorry excuse for a SW game.

See, everyone has there own opinions as to what games are good. Buy the system with more games that interests you. As for Rogue Leader, it is a GAMECUBE exclusive. Its possible that it may show up later on another system like other so called exclusive games that came out before it (Resident Evil: Code Veronica). If does though, there has been no word of it and it is doubtful that it would be any time soon.

preacher
07-02-2002, 05:31 PM
On the surface a lot of the GC games seem totally lame. But there a couple "kiddie" games for it that are actually quite a bit of fun. Pikmin and Monkeyball are excellent games as well that have gotten much attention because of the presumed gaming level that the packaging shows. But I got to tell you these two games are louds of fun and hard as $#!+. It was proven to me that you can't judge a game by its cover:D

I got a PS2 as well and just finished MAXIMO: Ghosts to Glory. Quite a lot of fun as well if you dig the Ghosts and Goblins video game from the ol' days of NES.

JediDan
07-02-2002, 06:45 PM
I was thinking about gettting Maximo but decided not to after hearing how hard it is. How was it for you Preacher? Hard, VERY hard or average? I can't stand games that are so stinking hard. I want to get the new Stnutman game but all the reviews that I read say it is REAL hard and that you have to redo levels over and over till you get it right. I hate redoing things so I am gonna stay away from it unless they get a cool cheat code for the game. :) I too have Super Monkey Ball and I LOVE the bonus game where you roll down the hill and you fly trying to land on those targets. Otherwise the game gets way too hard later in the game which really took away the fun for me out of it.

pthfnder89
07-03-2002, 03:24 PM
I decided to get a Gamecube instead of an Xbox last Xmas, and looking back I still don't know if I made the right choice. I love my Gamecube and Rogue Leader, but on the other hand there are dozens of games being released on Xbox in the next 6 months that I really want, whereas I STILL only have one game for the Gamecube. (it's a great game, but still...)

That's changing with the new games coming out for Gamecube, but Xbox still has a lot of great titles. I will say I think the Xbox controller is absolute CRAP next to the amazing Gamecube controller. It's so perfect I don't think I would change a thing on it.
The Xbox controller is big (even the new, smaller version is a little too big) ugly and awkward to get used to.

And one more thing to think about: a lot of people seem to think that because the Xbox has better graphics, the Gamecube looks terrible. This is total BS. The Gamecube has some amazing graphics and most of the games that I've seen on the Xbox so far could easily be done the same on Gamecube. That will change in the future, when both consoles are pushed to their limits, but for right now, they are more comparable to each other than some people like to think.

I will hopefully be able to get my Xbox in the next months, before Buffy the Vampire Slayer comes out, and then I will hae all three consoles (and my beloved Dreamcast:).

master jedi
07-03-2002, 03:39 PM
I have both a Gamecube and an X-Box.

I haven't played that many games on the X-Box but the only good ones so far are Halo and Spiderman.

The Gamecube has more games geared towards kids but are actually kind of fun. But they keep pushing back good titles and making some good titles suck.

The X-Box has a lot more games geared towards older people but only a few titles are good. The only good titles are Halo and Spider-man. Obi-Wan for the X-Box sucks because the graphics suck compared to other games, the gameplay sucks, the controls suck. Also OB1 lage a lot and I don't see why it should be doing that.

Buzz Bumble
07-05-2002, 03:27 AM
You might be interested to know that I know many people that bought the Box and have had it fail completely. One of my co-workers hasn't even had his system for half a year yet and his system decided to quit. It woud $100 to repair and is then only gauranteed to work for 30 days.

Sounds like a typical Micro$oft product! :mad:

Definitely avoid the X-Box and go with the GameCube.

conli olper
07-05-2002, 10:50 AM
nah, im getting a box. mainly cause i dont want to settle for PS2 galaxies. does anyone know, what will we need to play xbox star wars galaxies online. can you just plug in to a phone line like you would with a regular sh!ty modem or do you need a cable connection or something. sorry, i dont know much about this stuff. cheers.

Lobito
07-05-2002, 07:14 PM
Get a bonus at work and get them both...hehehe seriously though...whichever system u buy would be a good choice. Both, the xbox and the GC have great games. For the record i own a GC.

Jason B
07-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Yes, the BOX is only Broadband compatable. Which is good. ;)

SithDroid
07-07-2002, 02:25 AM
Gamecube for me. The games for gamecube are way cooler than the X-Box games. Plus a lot of their upcoming titles are going to be worth getting one. Although there are some that I would want for the X-Box. Although I am sure of one thing I will never EVER own any kind of Playstation. The controls for the PS and PS2 are absolutely horrible. Who needs that many buttons? There's like 12-16 buttons on there. Come on people we only have 10 fingers (including thumbs) that we could possibly use.

Kyo-Kasahara
07-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Go with the cube, what good game does Xbox have Halo? Just look at Nintendo's lineup and you decide. Metroid prime alone is reason enough to get Gamecube theres my opinion.:p

QLD
07-17-2002, 06:04 PM
BOTH

MikeAndTheBots
07-17-2002, 06:08 PM
I'd get a box. I mean you get KOTOR first, you get Galaxies, and there are just more good games. Luckily both those are going to PC so I'm set (for now....)

master jedi
07-17-2002, 07:26 PM
Halo is reason enough to get the x-box but is the only game worth getting for it until other games become really cheap. But I hear Halo is coming to PC so that might affect oyur decision. GameCube has more good titles and good ones on the way but they keep pushing back the release dates.

I'd recomend the Gamecube for now and wait for the X-Box to lower to a good price before getting one.

Jedi Juice
07-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Well, since I grew up on Nintendo also and already had a DVD player, I bought the Game Cube. It's very awesome, especially with Smash Bros. Melee. Plus the new Mario Sunshine is coming out, and the long awaited Zelda. Can't miss that!

Boba Rhett
07-18-2002, 01:25 AM
Don't forget Star Fox Adventures and Metroid Prime! :)

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Definately Xbox, I mean have you played Obi-Wan, or Halo.

Boba Rhett
07-18-2002, 06:09 PM
You dare compare Obi Wan with Halo? :eek:

Obi-Wan is, quite possibly, in the top three worst games I've ever had the misfortune of playing. And I've played a boat load bad games. :o

master jedi
07-18-2002, 08:38 PM
I agree with Boba Rhett. Obi-Wan ALMOST makes me ashamed to be a Star Wars fan.

Wolfwood319
07-18-2002, 11:30 PM
I was going to comment, but anyone who praises "Obi-Wan'' is asking for the hurt. Halo is a freakin' incredible game, but that's the only X-Box game I've played I liked immensely.

I don't play games that often, but RE for GC is by far my all time favorite game (I'm a huge RE fan,) and SSBM is possibly the funnest multi-player console game ever. But a lot of great games get ported to all 3 systems nowadays.

And what's all this talk of playing "Galaxies" on a console? Are you people mad or stoned? The only way this game should be played is on a PC, IMO.

QLD
07-19-2002, 12:53 PM
I have to concur, Obi-Wan is God-awful, while Halo is simply God-like.

Darth Detori
07-23-2002, 01:21 PM
I have both, and I gotta say GameCube. Loads are faster, the games are great, it's small as hell, the controller is SO comfortable, and the wireless wavebird controller is fantastic.
look at the gamecube line-up:
Mario Sunshine
Starfox Adventures
Super Monkey Ball 2
Metroid Prime
The Legend of Zelda

that's probably the best line-up I've ever seen.
X-Box's line-up, as far as my interest goes:
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller (tomorrow, looks fun as hell)
Medal of Honor: Frontline (though if you wanted that you'd already have it)
Metal Gear Solid: Substance (again, an upgraded version of a great PS2 game)

see, x-box doesn't have THAT many games that are exlusive that are really that guaranteed to be great. Nintendo does. and most of the third party games for box are also on PS2, which you already have.

I say Cube all the way.
oh, and one more thing: Snooch to the noonch!

pthfnder89
07-24-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Darth Detori
the controller is SO comfortable, and the wireless wavebird controller is fantastic.

That a BIG reason right there. The Gamecube controller is LEAGUES better than the Xbox hunk of crap. This isn't meant as a slam against the Xbox itself because it's a really good machine, but their controler is crap.

Boba Rhett
07-24-2002, 05:39 PM
I've been using both the GC and Xbox controllers for quite a while now and I like both but the xbox controllers seriously feel better to me.

I have big hands though so maybe it's just me. ;)

MikeAndTheBots
07-24-2002, 06:51 PM
I like the X-Box controller better than the GC one. I like the new smaller one better than the old one but I still prefer both to GC. And my hands aren't that (http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010829l.gif) big either...

morecow299
07-24-2002, 09:41 PM
i would go with the box over the cube for many reasons. i have owned both and i still prefer the box. the contoller is more comfortable and if you don't like its size you can just get the new one which is much smaller. the games are better for xbox and the graphics are better. plus it's a better booster seat for your grandma.

Boba Rhett
07-24-2002, 09:49 PM
Saying that the games and graphics are better may be going a bit too far. ;)