PDA

View Full Version : Hey Pepsi, Why Japan Only???

Uriarte69
06-30-2002, 08:55 PM
Has anyone seen the promo for Pepsi bottle tops?? It's 52 different figures on the top of pepsi bottles. Plus you can send away for a pretty cool display. Anyone know why this isn't anywhere but Japan. I'd love to put that collection together. On top of that, they have mailaway promos for sets for the other movies. I gotta get me some YEN.
http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/06/news20020625.html

JEDIpartner
06-30-2002, 09:56 PM
Japan, for some reason, has a culture that supports these sorts of products. They are very much into "miniatures" and "collectables" and also very interested in "Western" culture. These caps and everything else that has come before them, STAR WARS or otherwise, has been very successful. America tends to look at such things as trite and disposable.

Geonosian
06-30-2002, 11:09 PM
Man a Poggle and Lama Su why only Japan?

Lord Tenebrous
06-30-2002, 11:30 PM
Episode 1's American Pepsi promo wasn't what I would call a success, and Japanese miniatures are a nice little niche in the collecting market.

So find a Japanese trading friend. I did it when I was looking for a few specific Godzilla collectibles, and I'm doing it again for these caps. For regional collectibles, the Internet is a great ally. :)

LTBasker
06-30-2002, 11:52 PM
They get those cool promos for Pepsi and we get Britney Spears. *cringes*

bigbarada
07-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Tenebrous is correct, the Ep1 Pepsi promotion was a total disaster. Same with the Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut promotions. I hear that those restaraunt chains actually lost customers during their Ep1 promo days!

Of course I think a lot of it had to do with quality of the promo items. If we got something cool like what Japan is getting for Ep2 and not b+w photos on cans then I think the Ep1 promo would have faired a lot better.

LTBasker
07-01-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Tenebrous is correct, the Ep1 Pepsi promotion was a total disaster. Same with the Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut promotions. I hear that those restaraunt chains actually lost customers during their Ep1 promo days!

Of course I think a lot of it had to do with quality of the promo items. If we got something cool like what Japan is getting for Ep2 and not b+w photos on cans then I think the Ep1 promo would have faired a lot better.

Very true. Not too mention the over-hyping they gave it, which was because it was SW and they thought by over-hyping it that people would buy it and so it'd be a good cash machine for them.

StoneyFett
07-01-2002, 01:56 PM
I asked a friend from Japan about the bottle caps, and he said that promotion was over, unless they are starting it again. I'm kinda confused.:confused: As for the Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and KFC promotions for EP1, I was working at PH during that promotion. It was a little overkill. I feel they should have just done the cup toppers. The kids pack toys were kida cheap looking. I asked a supervisor if we were doing a EPII promo, and she told me, "No, because the last one was a flop.":cry:

icatch9
07-01-2002, 03:11 PM
You guys have done a good job reasoning this one out. Poor planning on that Triglobal corp that owns Pepsi and all the fast food joints screwed us out of these cool things. I agree with the fact, that if we'd had these sorts of things for TPM they would have been a huge hit.

One other thing, and I may be wrong, but a bottle of pepsi in Japan cost like $5.00 US money. So, Pepsi can afford to put this quality toppers on.

Hey, I work for a company that mostly owend by a Janpanes corporation and I can't get no topper either. We're SOL.

I don't think the promo is over yet in Japan, in fact it says it just started in early July. We are in early July now.

Did anyone notice how the OT toppers look a lot like mini version of the Hasbro Figures? In particular X Wing Luke, Jedi Luke, Obi Wan and Qui Gon. Plus, a few others. Very strange, kind of tidering on copy right laws there. Anway, just a thought.

They'll show up on ebay befor long, I know we'll have to pay for them but it'll be cheaper than a ticket to Japan :)

LTBasker
07-01-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Did anyone notice how the OT toppers look a lot like mini version of the Hasbro Figures? In particular X Wing Luke, Jedi Luke, Obi Wan and Qui Gon. Plus, a few others. Very strange, kind of tidering on copy right laws there. Anway, just a thought.

The ones I saw that look most like the Hasbro figures are: E1 Jedi Ani, E1 Obi, and the Biker Scout (that pose you just can't miss).

icatch9
07-02-2002, 10:22 AM
I knew it would come to this. See what a trip to Japan could bring you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2117789039

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2116625941

There will probally be more, since the promotion just started, and the movie just opened in the Far East.

u156446
08-07-2002, 04:02 PM
I found a bunch of these caps in a store near my office and they're reasonably priced. If you're still interested in them, please PM me.