PDA

View Full Version : What next???

Lobito
10-03-2001, 01:22 PM
What did u started collecting after the cancellation of the SW vintage line???

For me it was MOTU (Masters od the u....), Transformers, Super Powers, Secret Wars and G.I.JOE. In that order.

bigbarada
10-03-2001, 01:25 PM
GI Joe, Transformers, Robotech then back to Star Wars in 1987. (all my friends were dumping their collections)

Rollo Tomassi
10-04-2001, 08:25 AM
Transformers, then after a couple years, G.I. Joe because all my friends had them and I bowed to peer pressure. Then in 1987 I started a 7 year comic book kick and amassed a collection of over 20,000 comics. Then '95 rolled around and I started in with the Star Wars again and gradually added DVDs and Movie posters and now Transformers again.

GNT
10-04-2001, 08:57 AM
Transformers,When toys where toys :)

ThomasLane
10-04-2001, 02:36 PM
Motorcycle parts. Posters of girls. I can't remeber buy a childrens' toy for myself between the time I stopped buying the old Star Wars figures (around 1982) and started buying the new ones again (1997).

Since I've started collecting SW again, I've also grabbed a few toys from some other lines (Simpsons, Matrix, Lord of the Rings).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2001, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Then in 1987 I started a 7 year comic book kick and amassed a collection of over 20,000 comics.

I can almost exactly re-quote you on this one, Rollo. "Then in 1985 I started a 6 year comic book kick and amassed a collection of over 2,000 comics." I kinda collected Transformers, too, but only for 3 years or so.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2001, 07:14 PM
Rollo Tomassi. There; I said your name, so you're off the hook!

p.s. I always had collections going at all times, though:

Pittsburgh sports memoribilia
Buttons
Pins
Erasers
Posters
Ball caps
Sports cards
Orange juice/soda cans (over 80!)
:D

GNT
10-08-2001, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Pins
soda cans (over 80!)

I guess we share the same hobbies :) What pins did you collect?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2001, 05:52 PM
Any pins, usually sports or USA related (Olympics, VFW [Veterans of Foreign Wars, which is an organization my grandparents were in], Pittsburgh stuff, Disney, comics, etc.).

No pins of orange soda cans, though! ;)

JediCole
10-10-2001, 05:23 PM
For me it was Super Powers (got hooked after I found the ellusive Brainiac for a friend of mine, got tired of looking at it through the bubble and opened it, then had to buy another for him). I managed to find Plastic Man in the stores but never the one I wanted most, Cyborg. I still have the better part of my collection to this day (ditched the Kirby-esque types, Mantis, Darksied, etc. and the fabricated ones, Golden Pharoh, but kept most of the line). They are proudly displayed in front of my nigh-complete collection of Pepsi Super Series glasses (Series I). Just need Green Arrow and Green Lantern! (That collection started with just the Aquaman glass from the series, found in perfect condition in my grandmother's garage.)

I also dumped far too much money into G.I. Joe and did not have the foresight to just keep it boxed up rather than ditching it a few years before the return of Star Wars to the store shelves. I also collected comics back when they were worth collecting (don't get me started), and to this day I still pick up one or two figures from all kinds of lines, but just the ones that I really love. And of course I am now hooked on The Simpsons, though like with Star Wars, I am not a completeist. Bubba Fatt just found me a Treehouse of Horror II set!

Lobito
10-10-2001, 05:37 PM
I also missed Cyborg from the Super Powers line, i still have the little comic books that were included with the figures, but sadly there were no little comic books for the last waves. From the last versions i missed also Dr. Frezee, Orion, and Lightray. I got TYR, Cyclotron, Golden Paraoh and Plastic Man. Did i miss someone??

bigbarada
10-10-2001, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
I also collected comics back when they were worth collecting (don't get me started)

I feel your pain. I remember when stories and character development were actually the driving force behind comic books. Then Image comes along and suddenly they're all about flash pages, variant covers, big guns and big busted womens.

I think GEN13 was the straw that broke the camel's back for me with it's 13 variant covers and "let's see how many T&A shots we can cram into this issue" storylines.

Of course, books like Marvels, Kingdom Come, Madman, Bone and Hellboy kept me going through these dark times.

Rollo Tomassi
10-11-2001, 08:10 AM
I love Bone! And Sin City. "93 was the last year I seriously collected comics. I tried half heartedly to keep collecting X-Men titles the following year but pretty soon I realized i was buying them and bagging them with out reading them, so I quit. I occasionally walk into the local comic shop, but nothing screams "BUY ME!" anymore.

evenflow
10-11-2001, 11:55 AM
In the 80's it was always He-Man, ThinderCats, Silver Hawks, and Tiger SHarks. After that it was the superheroes. :)

bigbarada
10-11-2001, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
I love Bone! And Sin City. "93 was the last year I seriously collected comics. I tried half heartedly to keep collecting X-Men titles the following year but pretty soon I realized i was buying them and bagging them with out reading them, so I quit. I occasionally walk into the local comic shop, but nothing screams "BUY ME!" anymore.

I feel the same way nowadays. I don't know what it is that killed my interest, maybe the high-quality, style-free artistic sameness or maybe the storylines that prove nobody has any original ideas anymore.

However, I truly believe it was the collector/scalper mentality that killed comics as it will kill off the action figure market.:(

Anyway, back to the subject, did anyone else here take an interest in Robotech when it came to the US? Right before getting back into Star Wars, with the 1987 release of the RPG, I was a huge fan of Robotech: The Macross Saga. However, once the aforementioned Star Wars RPG came out, in addition to Star Trek: TNG on TV, I was a dedicated Star Wars and Star Trek fan. Once TNG got cancelled and I got to witness the birth of Voyager, I became solely a Star Wars fan.

GNT
10-12-2001, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Any pins, usually sports or USA related (Olympics, VFW [Veterans of Foreign Wars, which is an organization my grandparents were in], Pittsburgh stuff, Disney, comics, etc.).

No pins of orange soda cans, though! ;)

Would that be the 1984 Olympics in LA?Very interesting...

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2001, 05:26 PM
Yes, GNT. But also the 1996 ones in Atlanta, too. I have stopped the pin collecting a while ago. Only comics I buy are Marvel SW and occasionally Dark Horse SW.

sith_killer_99
10-14-2001, 12:00 AM
This thread is starting to get interesting. Let's see, my collecting habits went like this:

Transformers (The best original idea for kids toys since the invention of the action figure):)

G.I. Joes (The 3 3/4 inch stuff only) I really liked all of the accessories. That was what really "did it" for me. The articulation was also VERY impressive, though it tends to detract from the level of detail.

Football cards and Comics. This pretty much continued up 'til 1994! In fact, I recently went back through all my old Football cards and re-discovered some impressive rookie cards.

I then took a break from collecting. I can't tell you how much I wish I had started collecting Star Wars back in '95 when they re-started the line! I will be playing catch-up for years.

Nowadays it's mostly Star Wars figures. I also collect Movie Maniacs and SW related comics.

However, being a sports fan, and a sucker for incredible detail, I have bought a few of the McFarlane sports figures. I absolutely HATED Starting Line Up. Thank goodness McFarlane managed to get the contract with the NFL/NHL (the only 2 sports I care about).

I know, McFarlane makes "Statue figures" but I can live with that! The new Peter Foresberg looks GREAT next to my Patric Roy. This Colorado boy is a HUGE Avs fan.

JediCole
10-17-2001, 12:49 PM
Thanks to BigBarada and Rollo for sharing my pain at the loss of worthwhile comics. I have to agree with points made about (some of) the causes of the ruination of this once beloved medium and consumer of my collectable dollars. The aptly named Image Comics was one of they key figures in the assassination of the comic as it once was and could have been. They ushered in the age of hype-art (big guns, big chested babes, art driven comics) and promoted unabashedly the era of the gimic (gold/silver/prism covers, multiple covers, multiple endings, special "chase" editions, #0's, #1/2's, retailer incentives, etc.). It was the end of the collector/speculator era but no on knew it yet. And yes, the "scalpers" did help ruin the very industry they sought to profit from the most. Another culprit in the demise of the comic as we knew it was Marvel Comics, but that is another story entirely.
Anyway, I will be posting at some point this week in General Discussions, a thread about comics and where they've gone and where they were when they were still great. We can all share what we know about their demise in that thread (like the fact that Gen 13's 13 covers were further complicated by the fact that one was largely blank and random copies had images drawn and signed by Jim Lee himself freshly inscribed in the blank area, while others had nothing in that great white field).