PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars phase already over?

icatch9
07-01-2002, 12:34 PM
Is the buzz wearing off or is it just me? Is AOTC already old news? It's just now July and it's like it's all over. I'm haveing trouble finding the free stuff that came with the chips and cereal. No more commerical on TV. Nothing new happening at all.

Sure the toys are still comeing out, but they are kind of stalling. If the buzz has worn off, then so is the buzz about the toys. When TPM came out we couldn't turn around for months after the movie without seeing something Star Wars related. AOTC has been out for just 6 weeks and already there is dying interest.

What's the deal? Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just the only one?

LTBasker
07-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Didn't get much of a chance at theaters and is already getting pulled from some. It wasn't released to as many theaters as the rest of the movies are. It was literally in half of the amount of theaters that Spider-Man was here, considering the theater I went to had 2 screens for Spider-Man and the bigger screen for AOTC. :D

scruffziller
07-01-2002, 12:54 PM
I don't think the AOTC buzz lasted as long as TPM did because that was 1st new SW movie in 17-18 years. Hopefully EPS3 will have more buzz because it may be the last and will probably be closer to the OT visually so it may touch more of nerve with people who didn't really care much about SW, but knew the movies and will probably more into it for the similarity reasons.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-01-2002, 04:41 PM
Don't forget, Lucas/20th Century Fox made the exhibitors keep TPM in their main theaters for a month or two before they could pull it out. AOTC had no such clause. Plus add in the Spiderman, Minority Report, blockbuster factor and it doesn't seem to be as big.

I'd at least like to see it once more in theaters. Preferrentially in a digital format.

DeadEye
07-01-2002, 05:40 PM
I really can't stand that. At some points in the year there's absolutely no good movies at all...and at other times, there's a bajillion good movies playing at once! :frus:

scruffziller
07-01-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I really can't stand that. At some points in the year there's absolutely no good movies at all...and at other times, there's a bajillion good movies playing at once! :frus:
Yea I know exactly what you mean and you can't get them all seen before they all out of the theatres.:mad:

Wolfwood319
07-01-2002, 07:12 PM
The "general populace" seemed to had died off within 2 weeks of the movie opening. At this point, the general media buzz seemed to be "the newest Star Wars movie," unlike 3 years ago. The general public seemed to have ZERO interest this time around, and thus the media outlets switched to the "next big thing."

jjreason
07-01-2002, 09:08 PM
I went to a showing last night, and many people were looking at their watches. I noticed only because it was my fourth viewing in a two week period, and I was checking reaction during the "down" times in the show. The theatre was too hot, and quite a few folks were yawniing, and heading to the bathroom during the "Sound of Music" sequences on Naboo.
I wonder if the fans are the only ones that are REALLY digging this movie? Most of the guys I work with that are my age (30ish) have said it was "okay" and that they liked Spidey and Minority Report a lot better.
The movie still rocks, but I think I like it better than the others because it's Star Wars and I know so much about the characters, relationships, history etc. More than a couple of people I know have expressed a little confusion at trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe it's not a great "jumping on" point? If I had only seen the movies once each, and not since TPM would I get it all? Hard to say.

Forhekset
07-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
I went to a showing last night, and many people were looking at their watches. I noticed only because it was my fourth viewing in a two week period, and I was checking reaction during the "down" times in the show. The theatre was too hot, and quite a few folks were yawniing, and heading to the bathroom during the "Sound of Music" sequences on Naboo.
I wonder if the fans are the only ones that are REALLY digging this movie? Most of the guys I work with that are my age (30ish) have said it was "okay" and that they liked Spidey and Minority Report a lot better.
The movie still rocks, but I think I like it better than the others because it's Star Wars and I know so much about the characters, relationships, history etc. More than a couple of people I know have expressed a little confusion at trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe it's not a great "jumping on" point? If I had only seen the movies once each, and not since TPM would I get it all? Hard to say.

I noticed a similar phenomenon during the midnight premiere of Episode I. One of my friends, who is a pretty big SW fan, though not as hardcore as most of us, was asking me questions during nearly the entire movie. Now, he knows about a lot of the characters, and is by no means a dumb person, but the whole time it was like "Is that Leia?" "Is that Darth Vader?" "Who is that?" "Is he a Sith?" "Why is that guy with him?" I dunno...he seem really confused by the whole thing. I myself was actually guilty of checking my watch, but mostly because it was the midnight showing, and I was just way too tired that day to be at a movie theatre at 12am....I was mostly checking my watch during the podrace sequence. Man that thing was long, and I didn't really care for it at all.

Jedi Juice
07-01-2002, 10:40 PM
Well, the Star Wars craze really isn't as big down here as it was for TPM, but I personally feel more into Star Wars than ever before. Perhaps it's because Star Wars has grown deeper into my veins and I feel proud to collect the Saga figures, along with all the others that I have. Anyway, that's just me.

DeadEye
07-01-2002, 11:45 PM
Most people in the theater were ready to puke during the romance scenes in AOTC.

On another note: this is my 900th post! Yeah! :D

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-02-2002, 01:04 AM
AOTC fever died as soon as it slipped off the #1 box office spot.

Geonosian
07-02-2002, 01:08 AM
I dont want it to end....

JediTricks
07-02-2002, 02:31 AM
Here in LA, it's definitely over. The merchandising seemed like overkill and lingered too long for most folks, and without a fast-food tie-in, the only TV ads were those somewhat less-than-inspiring movie ads and those super-boring Frito Lays ads. The film is playing in almost no theaters around here any more, but that's probably a good thing for the theaters since they were doing almost NO business by the end. I can't say I blame them, the promise of the film being on DVD before the year's end, the high cost of movie tickets, and the film itself isn't all that great IMO (and I consider myself a pretty big SW fan).

I think AOTC isn't an audience film anyway, the pacing has little or no rhythm, the music isn't all that exciting, the characters don't get a lot of focus, there's a lot of confusing scene- and location-jumping, there seems to be little connection to Ep 1 and not enough obvious connection to the classic trilogy, and the film is super long; plus the audience is left confused as to EVERYTHING yet there's nothing really earth-shaking to be confused about. The box office take also affects whether people will go back and this film may not even break $300 mil, for a Star Wars film or even a summer blockbuster, that number doesn't sound all that amazing to the general public.

jjreason
07-02-2002, 02:54 AM
Thanks a lot JediTricks, now Im bawling my eyes out on Canada Day:cry: :D !!
I don't really want it to end either, but I agree with the fast food tie in theory presented above. Of all the stupid crap I bought from epI, and there's a lot, some of the cool stuff was actually those cheap toys in the neat boxes from the TriCom restaurants. I still have the boxesa nd they make a pretty cool picture when all piled together. Why would they not do that again? The answer can only be money. Maybe TPM made a lot more at the BO, but will it be more profitable? It doesn't seem like GL has laid out nearly so much in advertising and merchandising this go round, maybe AOTC doesn't need to rake in as much? Im sure there won't be any problems paying the gaffers for epIII......

Beast
07-02-2002, 03:00 AM
Not only is it the large number of actual good movies out this summer, that are butting heads. But another big part of the problem, is the amount of computers out there, and the fact that alot of people, instead of seeing it more then once in the theaters, are downloading it from online or buying a bootleg from someone that did. That hurts the ticket sales alot, for these big summer movies, that people would usually go see multiple times.

Now they sit at home and watch bootlegs, which hurts the film industry, as well as the average moviegoer. Theaters drop big bucks to secure the big summer movies, and then they don't get the projected business. They end up being forced to raise ticket prices, as well as concession prices to try to recoup some of the money. Why you think the average pop and popcorn costs more then the movie you are going to see. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
07-02-2002, 03:12 AM
That's unfortunately true. I hope everyone who checked out the bootleg (guilty here, but so are lot's of others) has paid to see the movie at least twice. It's way, way, way better in the theatre. The bootleg only types are REALLY missing out. Same with Spidey and Minority Report. Get out of the house and go see 'em!

stillakid
07-02-2002, 05:35 PM
This weekend, we ran into some friends after Church. I had just seen EP II on digital the night before, so they asked me what I thought of the movie. I didn't say much, before they admitted to not even wanting to see it because of "how bad the last one was." TPM turned off a heck of a lot of people who were expecting to see a Star Wars movie. Subsequently, they just didn't go. That's the long and short of it.

187-Maul
07-02-2002, 05:53 PM
I thought it was over here too but when I asked in a toysrus yesterday if I could have one of those SW banners (they weren't hanging anymore) the guy was really nice and all but told me they still needed them for promotion so apperently they're gonna do something again (maybe release more then 8 different figs? :D )