PDA

View Full Version : Look sir, droids

Forhekset
07-02-2002, 08:23 AM
Check out what I found while cleaning up my house over the weekend. "Based on a story by Ben Burtt". Cost $1.95 back in 1986....

Forhekset
07-02-2002, 08:24 AM
Check out the vintage-style Stormy on this page.

Forhekset
07-02-2002, 08:25 AM
I also found this. I have no idea where the tape is, but I have the book!

Forhekset
07-02-2002, 08:26 AM
There's the back cover. If my Roman-numeral reading skills (on the front cover) haven't failed me, I believe the book is from 1979...same year I was born. My parents introduced me to SW at an early age. :)

Lman316
07-02-2002, 09:49 AM
I have an old droids book someplace, and I'd really like to find it.
The whole thing was a scratch/sniff and feel book. On every world that C-3P0 and R2 went to, you had something else to touch or smell. There was one world with a nasty mushroom (that of course, was a scratch and sniff - and it did stink, lol) and then another with some kind of furry plant or animal (I think it had pink fur, but it was soft). I don't know where it ever got to, but I hope it's still someplace in this house. I hope we didn't sell it at a garage sale, or something, years ago.
I wonder if anyone else had that book, or even remembers it. Anyone ever have it?

End :).

stillakid
07-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Forhekset

I'm pretty sure I have that tape if you need a copy.

LTBasker
07-02-2002, 11:14 AM
I used to have a small children's book based off the Ewoks cartoon. I also have the regular book version of that audio book, it's pretty cool with the pictures in it, and it even includes a pic of Luke & Wedge and Luke looking up with his electrobinoculars trying to see what the fight is in the sky.

Forhekset
07-02-2002, 12:10 PM
I have some old STAR Ewoks comics, LTBasker. Some old Marvel Star Wars comics too, I think...at least I had them at one time.

stillakid, I might take you up on your offer for nostalgia's sake.

stillakid
07-02-2002, 04:58 PM
I have some old STAR Ewoks comics, LTBasker. Some old Marvel Star Wars comics too, I think...at least I had them at one time.

stillakid, I might take you up on your offer for nostalgia's sake.

I'll dig around and let you know what I find. :)

pthfnder89
07-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
I have an old droids book someplace, and I'd really like to find it.
The whole thing was a scratch/sniff and feel book. On every world that C-3P0 and R2 went to, you had something else to touch or smell. There was one world with a nasty mushroom (that of course, was a scratch and sniff - and it did stink, lol) and then another with some kind of furry plant or animal (I think it had pink fur, but it was soft). I don't know where it ever got to, but I hope it's still someplace in this house. I hope we didn't sell it at a garage sale, or something, years ago.
I wonder if anyone else had that book, or even remembers it. Anyone ever have it?

End :).

Oh dear God Lman316! I had totally forgotten that Scratch 'n' sniff book. But I remember that Mushroom, that thing smelled foul!
:eek:

LTBasker - I've still got two of those Ewoks kids books somewhere. I remember in one of them the Princess and Wicket had to babysit some baby Ewoks and of course, hilarity ensues:rolleyes::D I used to love them when I was little.

I'm almost positive I had that audio tape and the accompanying book as well but I doubt they survived.

El Chuxter
07-02-2002, 05:23 PM
I've got a few of those Droids and Ewoks books that I got for not too much at a cool little used bookstore in Roanoke, VA, a few years ago. The SW book that you found with a tape, I had on vinyl--and I might still have the actual record. I know I saw the book not too long ago.

When going through my parents' garage, I found a couple of educational books with R2-D2 and C-3PO, one about flight and the other about robots. It's pretty amusing to see "one day, you might have a robot butler" or something very similar. :D

JediTricks
07-03-2002, 01:18 AM
It looks like that Stormtrooper is going to "make them an offer they can't refuse"! :D

In that same pic, why does R2 have 2 radar eyes?

scruffziller
07-03-2002, 01:23 AM
My best friend had that, probably still does. But I think it was with a record instead of a tape. He had a bunch other's too.

scruffziller
07-03-2002, 01:34 AM
Check out the vintage-style Stormy on this page.
I am sorry to say and don't mean to be offensive in anyway, but the guy between R2 and 3PO looks just like Jesus in other Bible comics I had. His clothes look slightly altered to look spacelike but it is almost a direct copy.

Forhekset
07-03-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller

I am sorry to say and don't mean to be offensive in anyway, but the guy between R2 and 3PO looks just like Jesus in other Bible comics I had. His clothes look slightly altered to look spacelike but it is almost a direct copy.

Maybe your Bible comics were also illustrated by AMADOR, and they...or he....(not sure if Amador is a man with one name, or a company) just reused their interpretation of Jesus. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
07-03-2002, 11:43 AM
I have that same exact book, but I also think the tape is bye-bye. I also have a similar book from ESB and somewhere the movie magazine from ROTJ.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2002, 05:57 PM
I have the books on tape of SW, ESB, ROJ, and TPM. Anyone know if AOTC was made into a book on tape? Yet? I got an ESB tape to replace the one that wouldn't work anymore, and the dialogue was different! Wassup wit dat? I also have the "Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell" and "Christmas in the Stars" LPs, but have not yet found any Ewoks (live action or cartoon) or Droids ones yet. Also, the "Mystery of the Rebellious Robot" and "Maverick Moon" books, "Wookiee Storybook," and an odd "The Force of Star Wars" book where the author tricks you into religion by using a new popular culture device. :eek:

p.s. I know I should've italicized the titles, not in quotes, but that takes too long.

El Chuxter
07-03-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
I have the books on tape of SW, ESB, ROJ, and TPM. Anyone know if AOTC was made into a book on tape? Yet? I got an ESB tape to replace the one that wouldn't work anymore, and the dialogue was different! Wassup wit dat? I also have the "Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell" and "Christmas in the Stars" LPs, but have not yet found any Ewoks (live action or cartoon) or Droids ones yet. Also, the "Mystery of the Rebellious Robot" and "Maverick Moon" books, "Wookiee Storybook," and an odd "The Force of Star Wars" book where the author tricks you into religion by using a new popular culture device. :eek:

Man. . . . Except for the books on tape, I've got almost everything you listed! Haven't heard of The Force of Star Wars, and I never was able to get the Wookiee Storybook (though I read someone else's copy a few years ago). I'd almost blocked Maverick Moon and Rebellious Robot from my head. MOTRR I had for a while but don't think I actually read until just this summer. It's pretty strange to read, with the anti-alien sentiment reflected in the way Han and everyone else so callously mistreat the "subhuman" Jawas.

DeadEye
07-03-2002, 06:08 PM
That book looks a little...dare I say..."Ghetto." :p